Thread: My New Job

debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

My New Job

I retired about a year and a half ago and have been pretty much lounging around, doing "house" stuff and enjoying the fruits of my many years of working. It got to a point where I kind of needed to get something on a semi-regular basis to keep myself energized and bring in a few bucks. I got a part-time job, driving a small van for a student transportation company. I work a split shift (mornings and afternoons) to bring six special needs student to their school.

First, let me say that my career was working in or managing parts departments in auto dealers. That started in the mid-60s right up until retirement. In the early years I may have spent more time sweeping floors than anything else but later I may have been responsible for several employees and over a 1/4 million in inventory. I would work from Monday 'till Friday and someone would give me a check and I'd start again next Monday. No matter how much responsibility I had, it was still a job. Gee, I ordered the right part today...big deal. Maybe I took advantage of a program that saved my company some dough....that's my job. And that's it....it was always just a job.

Forward to the present....every day I get six kids that are deemed "special needs" and bring them to school. How I start the day for them is how they continue throughout the day. I can set the tone for the kind of day these kids will have. Never before have I had to power to influence children. Usually, they plug into their iPods but I can make them laugh....I can talk to them like they are adults...I can sometimes make them think. I let them off at their house with a "See ya tomorrow" or "Have a nice weekend", not just open the door and send 'em out.

Why are they "special needs"? I don't know. They range from 13ish to 16ish are are more intelligent than half the people I've worked with in the past. Today, we are so ready to slap a label on someone because the have some difficulty. The school caters to ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Brain Injuries, etc, so, it's great to see them getting the care that will help them later in life.

These kids are wonderful and I hope that I make their day half as much as they make mine. I've been working since about 1964 or so and this is the first time that I felt that I am actually doing something that is rewarding for me and I hope rewarding for my six special passengers.

Mike

Registered User GirLInterrupted's Avatar
    GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bb.com needs a like button Glad you are enjoying your new job!
    ~Beth

The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GirLInterrupted View Post
    They do. Kind of.

Repped.

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by debandmikeb View Post
    I retired about a year and a half ago and have been pretty much lounging around, doing "house" stuff and enjoying the fruits of my many years of working. It got to a point where I kind of needed to get something on a semi-regular basis to keep myself energized and bring in a few bucks. I got a part-time job, driving a small van for a student transportation company. I work a split shift (mornings and afternoons) to bring six special needs student to their school.

First, let me say that my career was working in or managing parts departments in auto dealers. That started in the mid-60s right up until retirement. In the early years I may have spent more time sweeping floors than anything else but later I may have been responsible for several employees and over a 1/4 million in inventory. I would work from Monday 'till Friday and someone would give me a check and I'd start again next Monday. No matter how much responsibility I had, it was still a job. Gee, I ordered the right part today...big deal. Maybe I took advantage of a program that saved my company some dough....that's my job. And that's it....it was always just a job.

Forward to the present....every day I get six kids that are deemed "special needs" and bring them to school. How I start the day for them is how they continue throughout the day. I can set the tone for the kind of day these kids will have. Never before have I had to power to influence children. Usually, they plug into their iPods but I can make them laugh....I can talk to them like they are adults...I can sometimes make them think. I let them off at their house with a "See ya tomorrow" or "Have a nice weekend", not just open the door and send 'em out.

Why are they "special needs"? I don't know. They range from 13ish to 16ish are are more intelligent than half the people I've worked with in the past. Today, we are so ready to slap a label on someone because the have some difficulty. The school caters to ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Brain Injuries, etc, so, it's great to see them getting the care that will help them later in life.

These kids are wonderful and I hope that I make their day half as much as they make mine. I've been working since about 1964 or so and this is the first time that I felt that I am actually doing something that is rewarding for me and I hope rewarding for my six special passengers.

Mike
    Nice!
    Genshai

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good people do good things. Thanks.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^^^ This. Repped.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    You are a class act.
    ^^^^^^^^ This
    pick it up and put it down

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Being a school bus driver is a very fun and special job. I miss it, glad you are enjoying it.

bb.com needs a like button
    Raveler?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17