Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

2ndfloor's progress

About 10 1/2 weeks to my first full PL meet:

I have to return a belt I ordered online because I reread the federation's guidelines, and saw that the belt couldn't be padded. This one was, so I repacked the box and ordered another one. I want to get to a point where I'm comfortable using it long before the meet comes up. It still makes me feel like my ribs are about to break.

I was stressed out on Saturday, because I missed my triceps day due to being out of town until the evening.

Yesterday was a satisfying deadlift day. I get irritated in the gym when people give me looks of disbelief as I am setting up for deadlifts, and the looks get weirder still when I start doing them. I don't even do that much, but I guess most people don't even attempt them.

Today was a rest day. I fell a bit short of my protein intake. I've been trying to eat at least--and preferably more than--1 g per body weight pound, but I figured I got close enough at 113 g.

Looking forward to tomorrow which is bench day with the personal trainer.

Learning new tricks HenryMiller's Avatar
    HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 2ndfloor View Post
    About 10 1/2 weeks to my first full PL meet:

I have to return a belt I ordered online because I reread the federation's guidelines, and saw that the belt couldn't be padded. This one was, so I repacked the box and ordered another one. I want to get to a point where I'm comfortable using it long before the meet comes up. It still makes me feel like my ribs are about to break.

I was stressed out on Saturday, because I missed my triceps day due to being out of town until the evening.

Yesterday was a satisfying deadlift day. I get irritated in the gym when people give me looks of disbelief as I am setting up for deadlifts, and the looks get weirder still when I start doing them. I don't even do that much, but I guess most people don't even attempt them.

Today was a rest day. I fell a bit short of my protein intake. I've been trying to eat at least--and preferably more than--1 g per body weight pound, but I figured I got close enough at 113 g.

Looking forward to tomorrow which is bench day with the personal trainer.
    Hey 2nd Floor,
    Good luck with your training. I hope you keep up the journal and really enjoy the journey! (So, what are you deadlifting now? I only started getting into them a couple of months ago. Progress is addictive, though!)
    Experience is not what happens to a man, it's what a man does with what happens to him.
    - Aldous Huxley

My bb.com journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137425823

2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^Nice to meet you, HenryMiller. Thanks for the encouragement. My deadlift at the meet 2 months ago was 85 kg (187 lbs.). I haven't checked it since, but I'm estimating that it is probably 195 now. I'd love to get it to 95 kg (209 lbs.) by the time the next meet rolls around.

Like I said, I think I'm pretty much of a wimp when it comes to deadlifts, but I realize that people think it looks strange when a tiny little girl starts to put the barbell on the floor.

Rough personal training session. My trainer had me increase the weights on the bench. When I did incline presses with dumbbells afterwards, I was already so fried that I almost dropped them on myself. Afterwards, it was triceps, triceps, triceps, triceps... in the form of assisted dips, cable extensions, machine extensions, and skull crushers. Boy am I going to be sore tomorrow.

My weight has been hovering around 122.5 for the past few weeks with my clothes on and me well-fed and well-hydrated. I'd like to keep that just where it is--or not more than 1 pound of gain--so that I can be under 123 for my weight class.

I've convinced myself that the reason why I have a weak deadlift is because I have a weak upper back which--after all--acts as a supporting set of muscles during the deadlift. And the reason why I have a weak upper back is because I have weak biceps which keep me from making progress on upper back exercises.

So... Wednesday is my new upper back/biceps day.

Today I did 3x10 assisted wide-grip pull-ups with 46 lbs. of counterweight on the machine (adds up to around 80 lbs. of actual weight I'm pulling once I factor in my clothes and shoes). That was hard!

I followed up with 5x5 of seated cable rows at 55 (I need to increase this to 60 next time... too easy).

And then I finished with 3x8 dumbbell biceps curls with my back leaning against a wall. I'd like to increase the volume on biceps curls starting next week.

Good session with the personal trainer today. 3x5 squats at 135, each one with hips lower than knees... for the first time! Also, I faced away from the mirror for the first time to get my own sense of how far down I need to go without having to see it, and I found that during my warm up sets, I was actually compensating by going further than I needed because the barbell was tapping the safety.

Then stiff-legged deadlifts, back extensions with a 45 plate (my first time!... kept on bumping my elbows against the handles), and weighted calf raises.

I'm thinking about making 135 my opening lift at the meet in November. I'm hoping by then, it will feel like a piece of cake. Right now, it feels manageable, but not definitely not easy.

Massage later this afternoon!
    Last edited by 2ndfloor; 09-08-2011 at 10:22 AM.

5x5 bench workout at 85. The weight here is starting to feel manageable. Not easy by any means... but not mind-blowingly hard, either. I do 3x10 of these with my trainer on Tuesdays, and the last few are always forced reps.

3x8 assisted dips on the gravitron with 10 lbs. of counterweight. And then high volume/low weight dumbbell skull crushers and triceps cable extensions to squeeze out every last bit of possibility from my triceps.
    Last edited by 2ndfloor; 09-11-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Wore my new belt for the first time. This one is regulation for the unequipped PL division.

Increased the weight on the deadlift. 1x5 actually felt ok at 175. I was afraid it would be really hard. The belt must be helping me keep my back supported. It's hard to believe that 3 months ago, my 1 rep max was 170.

Followed up with seated cable rows, one-armed rows, and dumbbell biceps curls. Yep, the biceps are definitely the weakest link here. More intense biceps work from now on is going to be how it is.

Rewarded myself with a banana, peanut butter, chocolate smoothie with 2 scoops of protein powder.

Bench day with the personal trainer. The extra triceps work I do on my own is really starting to pay off. I don't have as much trouble with lockout as I used to just a few months ago.

My lower back is still sore today from the increase in weight on the deadlift on Sunday.

I'm on my third protein shake of the day.

Challenging leg session with the personal trainer today. Enough said....

Great triceps workout today! Close grip bench press, assisted dips, triceps extensions, skull crushers.

The downside is that I stepped on the scale and seemed to have put on weight, but I'm hoping that it's just water.

First time deadlifting 200! I'm so excited!

I did a self-designed practice DL meet today. My opening lift was 165, and it was a nice, easy warm-up. Second lift was 185; moderately challenging. For the third lift, I debated on whether to load the bar to 200 or 205 and decided to play it safe with 200. The lift off the floor is always the hardest part for me. I saw my left thigh trembling in the mirror. Once I got the bar over the knee, though, it was no problem. I held the lift at the top for longer than I knew I would need to in competition and lowered the bar smoothly. All good!

Next, I did 5x5 seated cable rows at 60 and then finished off my biceps with a series of high-rep/low weight curls.
    Last edited by 2ndfloor; 09-18-2011 at 11:06 AM.

5x5 squats at 125. I was going to put these off until tomorrow since I tested my deadlift 1RM yesterday, but I actually didn't feel any soreness this morning as a result of yesterday's effort.

These were just about as challenging as they should have been for me. The last time I successfully completed a 5x5 squat workout, it was at 120. I had made a few attempts at doing a 5x5 at 125 where all reps were hips below parallel, but this is the first time it has happened for me.

Afterwards, I did one-legged calf raises and called it a day.

By the end of the month, I want to see what 130 feels like.

Tried something new today while the PT is on vacation. 4x4 bench at 90. I did a gradual warm up to this one, and it felt good moving more weight than usual with fewer reps. My PT doesn't usually have me going this low on reps until a few weeks out from competition, but I wanted to see where I was at with these ranges before he got back into town.

Then...

3x10 assisted dips with 16 lbs. of counterweight.
    3x8 dumbbell skull crushers with 12.5
    2x8, 1x7 triceps push downs 60 (couldn't quite get that last rep)
    2x10 dumbbell lateral raises 12.5

I was emboldened by my successful 5x5 squats at 125 last time, so I increased the weight to 130. Sets 1-4 were hips below parallel, but I could only get to parallel for my 5th set (there was no way I was going to let myself get away with *above* parallel... yuck!).

Seated cable rows and bicep curls afterwards. I was tuckered after the workout, but in a good way.

Triceps day!

3x8 close grip bench press at 70
    Someone was hogging the assisted dip machine, so I skipped those.
    3x12 one-handed triceps push downs at 15

I'm on my second serving of Nitrofusion for the day.

Learning new tricks HenryMiller's Avatar
    HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000) HenryMiller is just really nice. (+1000)
    Triceps day!

3x8 close grip bench press at 70
    Someone was hogging the assisted dip machine, so I skipped those.
    3x12 one-handed triceps push downs at 15

I'm on my second serving of Nitrofusion for the day.
    Don't let them bogart the assisted dip machine!
    "Hi! Do you mind if I work in a few quick sets with you?"
    Make new friends!
    Experience is not what happens to a man, it's what a man does with what happens to him.
    - Aldous Huxley

My bb.com journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137425823

Originally Posted by HenryMiller View Post
    Don't let them bogart the assisted dip machine!
    "Hi! Do you mind if I work in a few quick sets with you?"
    Make new friends!
    lol, so true. I just didn't want the guy to think I was hitting on him or anything.

pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000) pharty is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol, so true. I just didn't want the guy to think I was hitting on him or anything.
    Lol!

I am so happy to have a "friend" at the gym to spot me. I see the same people enough now that I'm sure I could find one or two to ask but it'd still be a little weird, I'm sure. Especially since I'm one of maybe 2-3 chicks at the gym at that time.

I feel like I need more info from you But understand if you don't feel like giving it!
    My Journal
    Sometimes there's lifting talk. Sometimes notsomuch.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135168601

*Sponsored* ProMera CapsiBlast=Completed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153005161

*Sponsored* ProMera Con-Cret=Completed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146080323&p=907575483&posted=1#post907575483

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

Benched 185x2 and isn't afraid to tell you ALL about it:)

Originally Posted by pharty View Post
    Lol!

I am so happy to have a "friend" at the gym to spot me. I see the same people enough now that I'm sure I could find one or two to ask but it'd still be a little weird, I'm sure. Especially since I'm one of maybe 2-3 chicks at the gym at that time.

I feel like I need more info from you But understand if you don't feel like giving it!
    Nice to meet you, pharty! I'm also usually one of 2-3 chicks at the gym.

I'm thinking of putting up some progress pics soon. I never took a "before" pic, though, so there's really nothing to compare it to, but maybe a current photo could be a "before" photo for later on down the line, lol.

Short, quick workout today

1x5 deadlift 180. I started to lose my grip on the 3rd rep but hung in there for dear life until the finish.

Then 3 sets of planks for 45 seconds. My abs are weak. I'd like to get to 3 sets for 1 min., and then I'll start adding plates to my butt to increase the intensity.

Short, quick upper back workout

3x11 assisted wide-grip pull ups with 52 lbs. of counterweight (need to increase intensity next time)
    I tried doing seated cable rows after that but gave up after only 1 rep. Rough day today.
    5x5 barbell biceps curl 30 lbs. with back against wall (gotta get those biceps strong; they are holding me back in my upper back progress)

Good session with the PT. Worked on bench today. 4x5 at 90, some towards the end being forced reps. I'd like to get to a point very soon where I can do 5x5 at 90 on my own. 5x5 at 85 seems almost easy these days. Hello, protein!

Followed up with incline dumbbell presses and triceps work.

Short workout today.

3x5 squat at 135. Movin' on up! Goal is to get 5x5 good squats at 135 by mid-October.

Machine leg curls... and then I was outta there.

3x8 one-armed rows with 37.5 lb. dumbbell
    3x10 upright rows with 50 lb. pre-loaded barbell
    3x10 seated biceps curls with 12.5 lb. dumbbells

Rewarded myself with giant protein shake: sweet potato, strawberries, 2 scoops rice protein, 1 scoop hemp protein!

Triceps, triceps, triceps!

5x5 close-grip bench press at 75 (20 crunches after each set)
    3x10 assisted dips with 16 lbs. of counterweight
    3x10 dumbbell skull crushers with 12.5
    3x10 one-armed triceps push downs with 15

Another giant smoothie for a reward: banana, broccoli, peanut butter, and 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder!
    Last edited by 2ndfloor; 09-30-2011 at 10:16 AM.

1x5 deadlift at 180

Next, I hit the upper back hard:

5x5 seated cable rows at 60 lbs.
    3x8 one-armed dumbbell rows at 40 lbs. (Yay! My first time on this!)
    Last edited by 2ndfloor; 10-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.

4x6 bench press at 85 lbs. (trying to get to a point where 5x5 at 90 is possible)
    4x5 dumbbell incline press with 35 lbs., 1x5 with 30 lbs. (couldn't quite manage that last set at 35)
    3x10 triceps cable push downs with 50 lbs. (these are easy; need to increase next time)

I can't believe it's taken me almost 2 years to get here since getting back into the gym after a long hiatus.

Ugh.... A business trip I took this week kept me from the gym. The last real good workout I had was Monday. Back in the game tomorrow with a good, hard back workout. My plan is to do 1x5 deadlifts at 185 lbs. and then finish off with upper back stuff.

1x5 deadlifts at 185 lbs. done! That felt almost easy!

3x8 one-armed rows with 40 lb. dumbbell
    3x10 back extensions with 25 lb. plate

My right elbow has been inflamed, lately, so I skipped the biceps curls.