nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What should I do about my football coaches mandatory trash workout?

We have to take his weight training class and its from the time our season ends all the way till summer. I say its trash because we only get 20 seconds of rest in between sets. I also hate it because I was doing Starting Strength and my squat increased by nearly 100 pounds in 6 weeks and then I did a whole mandatory summer of his garbage workouts and got weaker. I was wondering if I should approach him and tell him I would be better off doing Starting Strength again or 5x5 and showing him the workout or what should I do? It is a mandatory class to be on the team and on top of that he wants me in there because I the strongest freshman on the team.

Here's what the workout looks like, our school operates on an A day and B day schedule so we do this workout on non consecutive days.

4x4 squat
    4x4 bench
    4x4 cleans
    resistance bands
    easy curl barbell curls 2x10

The workout itself isn't terrible its just the lack of rest kills me and on some days we sub stuff out for push press and skull crushers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*I always rep back, just put rep back.

*Goals
    .Weight in Lbs-200
    .Squat-325
    .Bench-225
    .Dead Lift-350

TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100) TheNextGohan is not very well liked. (-100)
    beta player is beta, too scared to talk to coach.

rbbeef1995 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    theres 20 second rest in between plays, its getting your body used to recovery faster

nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nusa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TheNextGohan View Post
    beta player is beta, too scared to talk to coach.
    Yeah I don't want to lose my starting spot because he is big on the whole team work thing gtfo.

Originally Posted by rbbeef1995 View Post
    theres 20 second rest in between plays, its getting your body used to recovery faster
    I can't can gain strength resting 20 seconds in between sets.

*Goals
    .Weight in Lbs-200
    .Squat-325
    .Bench-225
    .Dead Lift-350

brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nusa View Post
    I can't can gain strength resting 20 seconds in between sets.
    Cutting rest during inseason lifting is pretty common. Inseason isn't when you should be gaining strength, early on you should be converting raw strength gained in the off-season to sports specific strength, as the season goes on you should be just striving to maintain mass. You have a low volume program with compound lifts, this is what you should be doing.

MWagg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MWagg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MWagg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MWagg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brownj12 View Post
    Cutting rest during inseason lifting is pretty common. Inseason isn't when you should be gaining strength, early on you should be converting raw strength gained in the off-season to sports specific strength, as the season goes on you should be just striving to maintain mass. You have a low volume program with compound lifts, this is what you should be doing.
    In the OP he said that this class is from when the season ends until summer.

I would ask to sit down with your coach and ask him why he is having everyone do this program. If he has a legit reason, you suck it up and do his program. If he says it's because he thinks it's the best for building strength, ask him if he'd be ok if you and a workout partner do starting strength and explain how you've had the best gains from using that program.

You should never be afraid to ask your coach questions....just don't go up to him and say "why do I have to do this trash workout" approach him respectfully and go in with a open mind that he might know what he's doing.

Originally Posted by MWagg View Post
    In the OP he said that this class is from when the season ends until summer.

I would ask to sit down with your coach and ask him why he is having everyone do this program. If he has a legit reason, you suck it up and do his program. If he says it's because he thinks it's the best for building strength, ask him if he'd be ok if you and a workout partner do starting strength and explain how you've had the best gains from using that program.

You should never be afraid to ask your coach questions....just don't go up to him and say "why do I have to do this trash workout" approach him respectfully and go in with a open mind that he might know what he's doing.
    Hey thanks man I appreciate the input. He really thinks like if were not doing his program we wont gain but, their are seniors now that came in squatting 185 and are doing 250 4 years later. The only thing I am afraid of is that he will take offense or feel disrespected but, I want to do whats best for me. I think if he allows me to do my own thing I can workout in his class but, just do my own thing. Are classes are an hour and a half long so I mean time isn't an issue at all. The only other thing that could potentially be a problem is equipment, we have a lot of freshman in this class but we have like 4 squat racks, 5 benches, 4 power clean mats. Usually we just disperse and do which ever we want first and rotate but, if someone wants to use something that I'm using I'll probably have to give them the equipment which may interfere with my work outs. Thanks for the advice man repped.

*Goals
    .Weight in Lbs-200
    .Squat-325
    .Bench-225
    .Dead Lift-350

Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattman1217 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The weight room should be all about gaining strength.
    Endurance can be attained on the practice field doing drills.
    IMO of course.

Originally Posted by Mattman1217 View Post
    The weight room should be all about gaining strength.
    Endurance can be attained on the practice field doing drills.
    IMO of course.
    I totally agree I feel as though the conditioning I would be doing on myself would be plenty. I plan on doing plyometrics and sprints twice a week as well. Also if anyone could answer this, will it hinder results if I do plyometrics and sprints on the same day?

*Goals
    .Weight in Lbs-200
    .Squat-325
    .Bench-225
    .Dead Lift-350

nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had a similar problem with 6 sophomores I was working with who were told by the head football coach that rather than lift weights like they had been doings so with me for summer, they now had to do a plymetrics thing instead. I am no longer a coach but the Athletic Director brought me in to work with these kids. My answer to them:

While I think lifting weights is better, your commitment is to the team and being a team player means having to be a part of these plyometrics. I am in their favor but this is something that is required of their team. As it turns out, after only half a week, they have come to me and say that they still want to meet with me on other days to get their lifting in, IN ADDITION to the plyometrics for football. I was very proud of them.

In short, who says you can't do extra? But to be a part of the team and in the coach's favor...ya gotta suck it up.
    Champions are not born. They are built.

You wondered if all the pain and sacrifice is worth it...now you know.

Gold medals aren't made of gold. Not really. They're made of sweat, dedication, and a hard to find alloy called guts.

Everybody wants to win. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes.