Displeasing Aesthetically scantraxx's Avatar
    scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Stretching? Yoga? Flexibility?

I am really unflexible, and I would like to be flexible because it seems natural. I have tried getting into yoga but really cannot be bothered, the reason being is that is seems like a 15minute stretching routine has more benefit then any yoga I have done and in the end it seems like yoga is just a spiritual thing, I have nothing against that but I would like to do something that improves my flexibility.

So stretching seems to be the thing to do, 15mins in the morning is what I plan on doing again, but I always here its no good, then I here it is good. I can't seem to find any scientific evidence to whether or not it is good or not.

Now my main goal here is flexibility, I am not trying to get an upper hand with my weight lifting, weight lifting it self is sufficient enough in its self (funnily enough) and I'm not stretching for a spiritual expirience or relaxation, I can find those in other ways lol.

Also it is not for injury prevention either, I use warm up sets and this seems to be sufficient.

So what do you guys think, do a stretching routine 15mins in the morning for flexibility? Or is there any reason I should do yoga or something? 15mins is more appealing than an hour plus of yoga haha.

cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000) cokecan is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do an hour and a half of yoga twice a week. I hate it with a passion but I'm a lot more flexible.

Displeasing Aesthetically scantraxx's Avatar
    scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What form of yoga?

Im either going to stretch for 15mins in the morning each day or an hour of yoga 2x a week.

I really don't know though.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by scantraxx View Post
    I have tried getting into yoga but really cannot be bothered, the reason being is that is seems like a 15minute stretching routine has more benefit then any yoga I have done and in the end it seems like yoga is just a spiritual thing, I have nothing against that but I would like to do something that improves my flexibility.
    False, yoga can be a "spiritual" or whatever thing, but so can any exercise. Yoga can have benefits, you may have just been doing very gentle postures. Adopt more difficult poses if they aren't challenging you.

So stretching seems to be the thing to do, 15mins in the morning is what I plan on doing again, but I always here its no good, then I here it is good. I can't seem to find any scientific evidence to whether or not it is good or not.
    Stretching is a good thing, generally. I'm pretty sure there's been evidence of it having benefits. Both lab and anecdotal.

do a stretching routine 15mins in the morning for flexibility? Or is there any reason I should do yoga or something? 15mins is more appealing than an hour plus of yoga haha.
    Nobody's stopping you from just doing 15 minutes of yoga or a mix of the two. They're not separate things, as many yoga poses involve stretching. It's basically just controlling breathing and adopting unusual positions which is what stretching is too. Downward dog is a great hamstring/calve stretch for example.

vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm not sure which sources you read that claim that stretching's no good. Personally, I've found it to be unbelievably useful. Approximately 1 month ago, I started to consistently do stretches for my whole body before bedtime. Over the weeks, I've noticed a few changes:

1) When I wake up in the morning, I'm unbelivably more loose now. My knees, back, hips ankles and neck all feel great! I didn't feel bad to begin with, but in the past, it would usually take approximately 1/2 hour after getting out of bed for me to feel loosened up. Now, I'm ready to go as soon as I jump out of the sheets.

2) I've noticed that I can go a lot more deep into the stretches than I could when I first started out, and I can hold the positions for longer periods of time. It may be my imagination, but my joints seem to feel better even when I lift weights. Suffice it to say that stretching's made me feel fantastic.

I've always been a fan of stretching around and during workouts, but I highly recommend doing it before bedtime as well.

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stretch well after your workout. That's all you need.
    Bender, part of being human is having self-control. -Amy Wong

Fat loss per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

^via female sticky on realistic goals

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Need is subjective. Some people dont even 'need' to focus on stretching at all. Some get by with after the work out. Some like to do it before bed or when they wake up. Whatever.

yogatraining has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you tried power yoga or bikram? I know yoga can seem a bit weird at first. When I first started going I just could not get into it. Then I went to my first Bikram class and feel in love. It is one of the most intense "trainings" I have done. The main aspect is that you you really have to focus on your subtle movements and breath. If you are not up for the spiritual aspect, try a more fitness oriented one. I promise just two times a week will improve your workouts.