Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swerv512 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i just had my first attempts at the dip bar today and it was definitely a nice way to spice up my tired old routine. dips are the bees knees!

barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnzey8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    love my dips

wiscowerewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good thread. Props. Dips are official.

πολυμαθής ก้้้้้้้้้้้ ThundaHorz's Avatar
    ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Blitzburgh407 View Post
    Which day should I do dips; chest/bi or tri/shoulder day?
    So the ultimate answer is you decide.

But here is some food for thought:

-Your shoulders are active in dips but I wouldn't say they are being hit directly (or specifically targeted). It's much more of a Chest or Tri movement depending on how you position your body.

-Any heavy press movement is going to activate both Tris and Pecs so the idea of isolating either or is more of a myth IMHO.

-I would say Chest day because, as a compound movement all pressing muscles are activated, and there are plenty of isolation/concentration exercises specifically targeting Triceps.

Whatever your decision is, tell me how it goes.
    fui quod es, eris quod sum

nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikonD70s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    is the guys hand backwards and hands flat on the first video? sh!t looks dangerous.

Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000) Suzubrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love me some dips!
    Just wondering 1 thing tough.. my brother tells me that when you're leaning more forward, you're hitting your pecs more then your triceps?
    Been trying this and I noticed a difference indeed.. The more I keep my body straight when going down (and up) the harder I'm feeling that my tri's are being hit.
    And the way with leaning forward definitely targeted my pecs!
    Just wanted to share this with you guys !
    **Dutch Gardening Crew**
    ~ Hard With Style ~

Incline Bench: 315
    Squat: 385
    Dead: 440

fk that..

Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vincent17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Anyone ever feel like on the last few reps of a set their ribcage or sternum gets stressed as though its pressing in? it happens to my gym partner too, any suggestions how to prevent it while pushing hard on last reps would be much appreciated, thanks.

chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100) chris1484 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've my hand a dips a few times, but I'm never able to do more than 3 or 4 without me shoulder feeling like its getting torn up. But I keep hearing how great of an exercise it is. Hoping my shoulders will strengthen up a bit and allow me to add this in.

ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nikonD70s View Post
    is the guys hand backwards and hands flat on the first video? sh!t looks dangerous.
    Yes hands are backwards but dont think of it as dangerous it may look. hands should solidly rest on top of bar not on the sides...

Originally Posted by Suzubrah View Post
    I love me some dips!
    Just wondering 1 thing tough.. my brother tells me that when you're leaning more forward, you're hitting your pecs more then your triceps?
    Been trying this and I noticed a difference indeed.. The more I keep my body straight when going down (and up) the harder I'm feeling that my tri's are being hit.
    And the way with leaning forward definitely targeted my pecs!
    Just wanted to share this with you guys !
    to a degree you are right, change the angle of attack and change the outcome!

Originally Posted by Vincent17 View Post
    Anyone ever feel like on the last few reps of a set their ribcage or sternum gets stressed as though its pressing in? it happens to my gym partner too, any suggestions how to prevent it while pushing hard on last reps would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Ive got an idea but im not and internet diagnostician so ill just say at 16 take it slowly/easily and you'll be fine. Keep your press as natural and smooth as possible it should never be jerky or awkward feeling.

Originally Posted by chris1484 View Post
    I've my hand a dips a few times, but I'm never able to do more than 3 or 4 without me shoulder feeling like its getting torn up. But I keep hearing how great of an exercise it is. Hoping my shoulders will strengthen up a bit and allow me to add this in.
    You need to find that sweet spot for your arms to rest where your shoulders can move freely without impingement. Since you are new to it I'd say be sequential. How much can you overhead press/Military press? Do you have a V shaped Dip bar available to you?

MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Must be a tall guy thing, I've always tried dips but after a set of 10 reps my shoulders are clicking and doing nasty stuff. I find that if I halve the ROM but squeeze my chest and tris for 2 - 3 seconds at the bottom of a half ROM I can complete my sets without shoulder pain.

Might be worth a shot for you gigantors out there.

Excellent detail in this article!
    WATCBC

*What's All This Crew Bullsh!t Crew*

People are stupid and that makes me cry - Sheldon Cooper

- All that evil needs to prevail, is for good men to do nothing -

Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ghostfaces is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just ordered a dip belt online, can't wait to use it.
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    IG: denntis
    SC: dennisabled

7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7heTruth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dips are one of my favourite exercises. love doing them on chest day

ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ApolloD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always include Dips in my Triworkouts and Chest workouts... great results especially for the many who do them unassisted.

Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nosferatu187 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MaxwellPower View Post
    Must be a tall guy thing, I've always tried dips but after a set of 10 reps my shoulders are clicking and doing nasty stuff. I find that if I halve the ROM but squeeze my chest and tris for 2 - 3 seconds at the bottom of a half ROM I can complete my sets without shoulder pain.

Might be worth a shot for you gigantors out there.

Excellent detail in this article!
    nope cause I'm short and I have the same problem I can do 8 reps then my shoulders start to hurt like hell

ChiefWiggum420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChiefWiggum420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    the belt I was using to add weight on broke at my gym..I keep bugging the owner to order a new one and I never get to see him anymore.

What can I use instead? Hold a weight between my feet?

TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrueIce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I"m killing dips tonight!

Originally Posted by MaxwellPower View Post
    Must be a tall guy thing... half ROM... Excellent detail in this article!
    Originally Posted by Nosferatu187 View Post
    nope cause I'm short and I have the same problem I can do 8 reps then my shoulders start to hurt like hell

Like I said its not a universal thing but working on shoulder flexibility/strength/hand placement should help. Half range of motion isn't really worth your time and you will bay far and away benefit from the full ROM. But like many people on here raging over ATG squats and perfect form, I too will be the "Form Nazi" and highly encourage you to work in full ROM but book-ended with, do so safely and make sure you are moving through all ROM smoothly and without undue stress.

I dont know your (Maxwell & Nosferatu) programs but think about the other presses that you may be missing in your program. Is your program well rounded?

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum420 View Post
    the belt I was using to add weight on broke at my gym..I keep bugging the owner to order a new one and I never get to see him anymore.What can I use instead? Hold a weight between my feet?
    You could do that... most gym belts IME suck and don't support much weight comfortably.

This is mine:

It's an old climbing harness and comfortably holds 200+ lbs, but since i don't think you all have old harnesses lying around Id suggest stopping in to local outdoors store or hardware store and buy a few feet of 2" webbing, a cheap carabiner, and another few feet of 1/4" webbing and for inside $10 you have a sturdy, durable, cheap, and packable dip & chin belt.

The 2" Webbing will hug your hips without cutting into you.
    The biner is for looping the 1/4" webbing which will hold plates, chains, or DB whatever you have.

BOOM!

To the rest, thanks for the positive comments and Dip Love!

MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ThundaHorz View Post
    Like I said its not a universal thing but working on shoulder flexibility/strength/hand placement should help. Half range of motion isn't really worth your time and you will bay far and away benefit from the full ROM. But like many people on here raging over ATG squats and perfect form, I too will be the "Form Nazi" and highly encourage you to work in full ROM but book-ended with, do so safely and make sure you are moving through all ROM smoothly and without undue stress.

I dont know your (Maxwell & Nosferatu) programs but think about the other presses that you may be missing in your program. Is your program well rounded?
    I agree that full ROM would be more beneficial, however, I know my body and I know what works for me (different folks, different strokes). I'm currently doing the Kris Gethin Hardcore Challange, and doing crossfit / P90X or Intensity on rest days. I like to think that its pretty rounded.

Excellent advice on the dip belt! I use them more for heaves, but it's now time for me to go shopping!
    WATCBC

*What's All This Crew Bullsh!t Crew*

People are stupid and that makes me cry - Sheldon Cooper

- All that evil needs to prevail, is for good men to do nothing -

ThinSlimFoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinSlimFoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinSlimFoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThinSlimFoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agreed. Dips are one of my favorites, but definitely important to watch your form to make sure you aren't tweaking your shoulders - especially on the bottom portion by dipping too low. The key for me has been as others have mentioned to do them at a slow cadence. Something near 4 seconds on the negative and 2 on the positive.

In the past I did a lot of negatives only on the dips with the help of a much larger lifting partner. This worked well in quickly increasing my strength, but in such a scenario it is even more important to be extra careful on form and ROM.

me1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love dips!
    I personally found them to be a decent replacement for the bench(benching hurt my right rotator).
    I like doing them with moderate weight at first then add to it each set.
    Great article as well. Love the arnold pics!

Dedicated Lifter lostinthestreet's Avatar
    lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10) lostinthestreet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dips have become one of my favorite new parts of my routine. I feel more accomplished, as well as just building a stronger upper body.
    Don't take no for an answer, not even from yourself. Lift heavy, gain big, grow massive, live strong.

Resident Libertarian gigahertz123's Avatar
    gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Recently discovered the dip. loving it. I can't bench press near as much as I'd like because of an unfortunate bonespur in my thumb joint, but dips don't stress this joint like bench does. get dem pecs, chicks dig it.
    Anarchy now
    peak weight: 227
    goal: 170 and 12%bf
    current: 180lb 25%bf

I may be fat, but you're ugly.

Registered User Freak4WhiteTail's Avatar
    Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freak4WhiteTail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dips are fun and they burn like crazy!!
    Bring Starvation to those who hunger for your defeat!!

Honey Badger dont give a S***!!

woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10) woodchip200z is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AirForceV View Post
    Was gravity less back then?

Cause I don't see how in the flying hell that man could possible move 500lbs.
    All these old strongman/bodybuilders of the past moved incredible weights...
    Men of those days had more Test then men today. I have no idea why, but i'm pretty sure its got too do with the quality of our foods and such now days.

BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BBNobu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great article!

I love dips but I feel I did them wrongly after reading this thread. Oh well, will fix em next workout.
    Disregard Everything, Acquire Aesthetics Crew

**l**MISC GIF CREW**l** -

Misc WristWatch Crew

Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myrddrael is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great article, op. I've always loved performing dips. Sadly, not many other people seem to do them at my gym.

LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LongLefty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    has to be my favorite exercise of all. Neglected by far too many people at every gym I've been a member of, not sure why. It's like the upper body squat rack that only a rare few dare to use lol

TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000) TheCaz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use to love dips. Until they blew my shoulder out.

Still though, when it gets back to 100%, guess who will be doing dipssss!

<<<
    Caz Smash

gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) gingersgym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do them how the guy in the last vid does them, one at the bottom of first post.
    is that the right way for chest?