Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rotator Cuff and Squats

Hi,

I've done a search and this has come up quite a lot. But my problem is a bit different to what I've found, because when I squat only my left rotator cuff hurts. It's like I've pulled something in my arm, "in" my shoulder. My right shoulder is perfectly fine. After I rack the bar, my left arm locks momentarily, I think because of the pain, then I can release the tension but it becomes stiff/painful and it hurts to move it around. A few minutes later the pain subsides a bit then I can do another squat. This leads me to taking up to 5 mins between sets, which is really annoying. Also I believe the pain is coming exclusively from the squat, because when I finish my squats and move onto other exercises, while the pain in my arm from the squats hinders me a bit, by the end of the workout the pain is entirely gone. And the next day my left shoulder is perfectly fine. Only when I squat do I get this pain.

Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks for any help.

markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Madig View Post
    Hi,

I've done a search and this has come up quite a lot. But my problem is a bit different to what I've found, because when I squat only my left rotator cuff hurts. It's like I've pulled something in my arm, "in" my shoulder. My right shoulder is perfectly fine. After I rack the bar, my left arm locks momentarily, I think because of the pain, then I can release the tension but it becomes stiff/painful and it hurts to move it around. A few minutes later the pain subsides a bit then I can do another squat. This leads me to taking up to 5 mins between sets, which is really annoying. Also I believe the pain is coming exclusively from the squat, because when I finish my squats and move onto other exercises, while the pain in my arm from the squats hinders me a bit, by the end of the workout the pain is entirely gone. And the next day my left shoulder is perfectly fine. Only when I squat do I get this pain.

Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks for any help.
    Could be many things really! The position of your shoulder joint in a squat can cause symptoms in many common shoulder problems. Instability, tear, strain, impingement etc etc. Whatever it is, if you are getting the pain while squatting, it would probably be best to not do the exercise as my guess is that it will only delay any healing that is trying to occur. How's your squat technique? Sometimes if your technique is wrong, whether it be habitual/physical restrictions/weakness is certain muscles, you may be predisposing yourself to a shoulder problem. Perhaps try giving squats a rest, and focus on your other leg exercises like leg press, dumb bell lunges etc in the meanwhile. Gradually return to squatting as you improve and see how you go. If it is still bunged, get someone to have a closer look at what's happening with your shoulder.

Hope it helps!
    My website: http://www.posturedirect.com
    The sole purpose of creating PostureDirect.com is to help those who want to improve their posture. Come visit :)

Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madig is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by markymark321 View Post
    Could be many things really! The position of your shoulder joint in a squat can cause symptoms in many common shoulder problems. Instability, tear, strain, impingement etc etc. Whatever it is, if you are getting the pain while squatting, it would probably be best to not do the exercise as my guess is that it will only delay any healing that is trying to occur. How's your squat technique? Sometimes if your technique is wrong, whether it be habitual/physical restrictions/weakness is certain muscles, you may be predisposing yourself to a shoulder problem. Perhaps try giving squats a rest, and focus on your other leg exercises like leg press, dumb bell lunges etc in the meanwhile. Gradually return to squatting as you improve and see how you go. If it is still bunged, get someone to have a closer look at what's happening with your shoulder.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks for the response! I think my technique when I started was pretty bad. I would grab the bar then as I went down, my wrist would twist making my elbows point down instead of out. I fixed that though after 2 weeks, so I don't think the form is a problem (unless bad for caused this problem in the first place). I might just start stretching my shoulders more, and I might ease of the squats for a bit.

LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Make sure you set your shoulder blades down and back and keep them in that position the whole time. It will help prevent any sort of impingement. Do this with EVERY...and I mean EVERY lift that you do. Always keep your shoulder blades packed down and back.