MarcoPolo89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post-Op shoulder labrum tear: Is this doctor screwing me?

In June of last year, I had surgery on my left shoulder for a posterior labral tear. I jus went to the doctors today to discuss my post-op MRI I had done a week ago. He said that the posterior tear healed quite nicely, but I had developed another tear in my shoulder. He said it was a type 2 slap tear. He said with this particular tear, surgery was not necessary, and that unless I was a pitcher, I would be fine. I think I developed this new tear in the process of working out at around the 10 and a half month mark (post-op), I felt a weird sensation in the shoulder. It didn’t dislocate but it felt like it, and I had a very dull pain. My shoulder wasn’t the same since then as I noticed a significant decrease in the endurance of it compared to the right (strength and ROM was totally fine).
    Are type 2 slap tears not really deserving of surgery unless I am a throwing athlete? I box and do MMA so this really concerns me. The doc said all of that shouldn’t be a problem and that I should return to optimal athleticism in time. But I still question him. When I hit the heavy bag with the shoulder repeatedly it fatigues rather quickly and my arm and hand shake a little for the rest of the day.
    Please give me thought, comments, and questions, I really don’t want another surgery as this will screw me BIG TIME.

themovement8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MarcoPolo89 View Post
    In June of last year, I had surgery on my left shoulder for a posterior labral tear. I jus went to the doctors today to discuss my post-op MRI I had done a week ago. He said that the posterior tear healed quite nicely, but I had developed another tear in my shoulder. He said it was a type 2 slap tear. He said with this particular tear, surgery was not necessary, and that unless I was a pitcher, I would be fine. I think I developed this new tear in the process of working out at around the 10 and a half month mark (post-op), I felt a weird sensation in the shoulder. It didn’t dislocate but it felt like it, and I had a very dull pain. My shoulder wasn’t the same since then as I noticed a significant decrease in the endurance of it compared to the right (strength and ROM was totally fine).
    Are type 2 slap tears not really deserving of surgery unless I am a throwing athlete? I box and do MMA so this really concerns me. The doc said all of that shouldn’t be a problem and that I should return to optimal athleticism in time. But I still question him. When I hit the heavy bag with the shoulder repeatedly it fatigues rather quickly and my arm and hand shake a little for the rest of the day.
    Please give me thought, comments, and questions, I really don’t want another surgery as this will screw me BIG TIME.
    From what I understand about slap tears it is hard to return to full athletic potential after. Very few pitchers in the mlb return from such an injury(It is considered career ending for the most part) not sure how that would transfer over to boxing but if your not happy with how you are coming along get a second opinion it never hurts to see another doctor, usually you can just ask your doctor where you could get a second opinion at and he will refer you somewhere
    Multi-Orange Triad
    Fish Oil- Carlson's Best Fish Oil
    Whey Protein- Gold Standard 100% Whey
    Creatine- Creatine Monohydrate
    Spirulina
    Bee Pollen
    Jack3d
    BCAA's