Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question One-Arm d-bell rows or upright row machine

Which is better and why? I think dumbbells are usually better because you have to stand or use some stabilization muscles when doing exercises with them. However, doing this exercise with 90 pr 100lb dumbbells can become a bit awkward and difficult to maintain posture.

andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10) andy94566 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you feel that it's hard to maintain the posture doing db rows I would just use the machine. But for me, db rows let me feel better contractions and i have better mind and muscle connection but whatever you feel gives you a better feel. What works for others may be different for you and vice versa..

POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These are two completely different exercises for two different body parts. There's no "or".

AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by POTA View Post
    These are two completely different exercises for two different body parts. There's no "or".
    This.

Registered User theproctologist's Avatar
    theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    also, I doubt at 5'4" and 128 lbs you're using the 90 or 100 lb dumbbells to do rows

Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chimpy1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They both work your Lats and the same indirect muscles, you must be confused.
    Originally Posted by POTA View Post

I'm actually 131 if it matters, maybe a bit taller but ya i can do it, answer the question or be silent.
    Originally Posted by theproctologist View Post
    also, I doubt at 5'4" and 128 lbs you're using the 90 or 100 lb dumbbells to do rows

first blood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chimpy, he wasnt trying to be a prick

jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do both exercises, but if I had to pick one it would be one arm dumbbell rows. Main reason is that in addition to working the lats, bicep, and core, it works my grip for when I do deadlifts.

Furthermore, it is hard to believe that you can dumbbell row 90s at 131 bw... While maintaining strict form. Try lowering the weight.

Edit: Also try keeping your body parallel to the ground.
    Last edited by jyim; 09-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Train hard, or die mirin
    BASSBRAH

AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Chimpy1993 View Post
    Uhhh... what? Two completely different exercises that are NOT alternatives to each other.

Upright rows are mainly for your rear delts/traps, while one arm DB rows are mainly for your lats and biceps.

Good luck trying to get big lats with upright rows and trying to get big traps with one arm DB rows lol.

And videos please of your 100 lb one arm DB rows. Thanks.

Registered User theproctologist's Avatar
    theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm actually 131 if it matters, maybe a bit taller but ya i can do it, answer the question or be silent.
    I don't think 3lbs is going to make a difference. Lets see some videos, of nice controlled reps with the 100lb dumbbells

AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by theproctologist View Post
    I don't think 3lbs is going to make a difference. Lets see some videos, of nice controlled reps with the 100lb dumbbells
    Ehh don't think controlled reps are necessary. Once the weight starts getting up there, some jerking will usually happen. And some people think that some jerking with more weight is better than perfectly controlled reps with less weight on this exercise.

But I'd be very surprised if he can even do 100s with some jerking. Not like all out full body jerking like you are having a seizure, but a small amount of swing (which is acceptable).

I have a bellybutton The Shoeless Wonder's Avatar
    The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AirForceV View Post
    This.
    that

Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I love one arm DB Rows but they are a completely different exercise with completely different target muscles to upright rows.

They might not being as beneficial as barbell rows as the tension is less on the unworked side.But wioth a great ROM which is vital for people who may have a back problem I think they're great

macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) macshow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    alot of people go too heavy on 1 arm db rows, make sure your really getting a full range of motion and using the right muscle to pull, you should see a difference

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Which is better and why?
    Better for what? Rows have a lot of similarities, we don't know what you want them for.

Can you specify what this upright row machine is, or provide a picture? I'm not sure if you mean something that duplicates the standing upright barbell row, or if you're talking about a horizantal row while seated upright.

Upright row: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html
    Seated row: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eatedRowH.html

I'm not sure if you're talking about pulling the bar up while standing upright, or simply having the torso upright while pulling back.

I think dumbbells are usually better because you have to stand or use some stabilization muscles when doing exercises with them. However, doing this exercise with 90 pr 100lb dumbbells can become a bit awkward and difficult to maintain posture.
    People usually support their core with their free hands when doing 1-arm dumbbell rows, so less stabilization is required compared to stuff like standing 2-arm rows. Usually you see people doing the 1ARs while kneeling on a bench and putting their free hand on the bench too, so much for standing. It does get awkward with heavier weights, yep.

If you're going for functional core stability, picking the movement for that aspect makes sense. If you're trying to hit your back, I'm not sure how much developing skills like rotational stability or obliques matter.

I think the people saying they are different are thinking what I thought at first, that he's talking about an upright row movement, but it's possible OP may mean a seated row, which has similarities, so I dunno.

Originally Posted by AmazinJason View Post
    Upright rows are mainly for your rear delts/traps
    I see a lot of people saying they're for the lateral/middle deltoid but they certainly have a lot of internal rotation so it makes me wonder since that could shift the work pretty far back.

one arm DB rows are mainly for your lats and biceps.
    This depends on how they're done. The biceps' help can be diminished if the hand is kept under the elbow and not pulled closer to the shoulder. Not to mention, since the shoulder is extending, the biceps don't change length as much as the brachialis does.

The lats do a lot if the OAR is done with the elbow in, but it still hits the other extensors like teres major and posterior deltoid a huge amount too, probably more than something like pullups. This is emphasized even more when the elbow comes away from the body since the lats help less.

Good luck trying to get big traps with one arm DB rows lol.
    They do retract the scapulae, so especially if you're doing rear delt rows, they will hit the traps a lot. Lat rows don't hit as much because work done by the lats doesn't travel through the traps like the scapulae-attached extensors do.