dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Necessary to work your shoulders?

I'll try to be as clear as possible...

I'm currently following the LiveFit training routine and the split is:
    Chest & Triceps
    Back & Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders & Abs

My question is, is it necessary to train on your shoulders for any other reason then to have them more defined aesthetically? I personally feel that I'd be happy with arms that are cut and defined, but I don't particularly feel the need to have larger delts (as I have big, wide shoulders anyway and don't want them to appear any larger). Would you need to train your shoulders to help strengthen your back, for example?

I was thinking that instead of doing the shoulder & abs day, I could switch it up to do another day of chest/ triceps or back/ biceps or whatever area might be lagging. And of course, I'd still do the ab part of it.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
    *Dollface33*

Lifting heavy makes me FEEL sexy..now that's motivation!

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes. By nature, the shoulders are an unstable joint. Proper shoulder training (in the context of a well-balanced program) stabilises your shoulders and keeps them healthy, reducing the risk of shoulder injuries. Even if you aren't doing overhead presses (which I think you should), some light rotator cuff exercises are a good thing, and they won't add any extra bulk to your shoulders.

Don't just do a second chest or back day to fill in the training time. Having a good shoulder push (eg overhead press) and a good shoulder pull (eg upright row) followed by some rotator cuff exercises would be a pretty good shoulder day. If you want to change your focus on the 4th training day, then still do push AND pull movements. For example, instead of doing chest+tris or back+bis, do chest+back or do bis+tris. You've gotta keep the muscles around the shoulder girdle balanced out, or you'll be an injury waiting to happen.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Austere has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you don't, you'll regret it.

Even if you don't use much shoulder volume, you should still do a bit of rotator cuff work. I mean, there's not much to do for shoulders: just OHP, maybe a bit of assistance, and some RC work.
    Misc MD Crew

Foreveralone Virgin Crew

Leanone1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I throw in a some shoulders every few weeks. My trainer said that's all the work my shoulders need. Guess maybe it depends on your build?

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Leanone1 View Post
    I throw in a some shoulders every few weeks. My trainer said that's all the work my shoulders need. Guess maybe it depends on your build?
    I'm curious as to your trainer's justification for this belief. IMO, the shoulder sshould be trained specifically at least once per week. I do overhead presses 1-2x every week, as well as rotator cuff work depending on what I feel I need. In saying that, all chest and upper back exercises will work the shoulders to varying degrees.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've refused working shoulders through isolation exercises from early on. I do plan a specific warm up focused om mobility and stability, and sometimes do very specific work (iso-push ups with perturbations, exorotations or dynamic blackburns if my shoulders are in bad shape, which I test for regularly) and I do a lot of compound stuff.
    As soon as I start doing isolation stuff (the conventional work: side raises, front raises,..), or plan a 'shoulder day' I start getting minor discomforts left and right.

So, I would say, no. You do not need to plan a day for shoulders. Rather, pick a few good prehab exercises and incorporate those into your workouts/warm up. Assuming that you work with a balanced program.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't do shoulders. In the last year, my trainer may have put them in once or twice but he said, from his experience, the shoulders get hit with so many exercises that they grow anyways... and it's true for me at least. My shoulders have grown nicely even though I don't work them directly.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends... if your bench pressing strength starts to run away from your shoulder pressing strength then that's a problem. You should be able to OHP at least half of your bench IMO. If you get to the point where you're benching 3x as much as OHP you have a major imbalance. All I usually do is heavy standing OHP once a week, but I also do rotator cuff work 3x a week since my one shoulder was jacked up for the better part of a year. At least do something for your RCs so your shoulders don't get beaten up on inclines and such.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dollface33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ahhh... I see. So the main point here being to make sure I work my shoulders at least enough so that I keep myself in balance and reduce the risk of injury. Makes a lot of sense. It seems like the program JE laid out is very balanced and there are a lot of both compound and isolation exercises. So maybe, I can just add another day of chest/ tri's and then make sure to add just a bit of shoulder work to that day also.

Thank you for your help everyone!
    *Dollface33*

Lifting heavy makes me FEEL sexy..now that's motivation!

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unless you have a shoulder injury, why would you want to omit training shoulders?

The standing Overhead or Military Press is one of the Main Big Lifts. Barring injury, IMHO, if you don't overhead press, you don't "lift." I'm all for nixing a "shoulder day" and iso work like laterals, but for functional strength one needs to press.

As an aside, the larger and wider your shoulders appear, the smaller your waist looks.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Unless you have a shoulder injury, why would you want to omit training shoulders?

The standing Overhead or Military Press is one of the Main Big Lifts. Barring injury, IMHO, if you don't overhead press, you don't "lift." I'm all for nixing a "shoulder day" and iso work like laterals, but for functional strength one needs to press.

As an aside, the larger and wider your shoulders appear, the smaller your waist looks.
    +1

As for being worried about having wide shoulders, I am naturally shaped like a man and have had some of the same thoughts. I have been able to train through weight lifting to change this and create more curves, but I was really worried about shoulders for a while. In my experience, they will grow regardless, but I would wager that they'll look a lot better than you expect them to.

I don't know that mine got much larger, but for women growing muscle BIGGER is so slow that you'll never have an issue stopping your growth if you decide you like it where it's at. What did happen to me is that the shape of my shoulders has changed quite a bit, and it looks much better than it did before my last cut. I don't have a really good picture to show you a difference, but my current avitar is before my latest bulk, and this is a picture of me from this morning, half way through a 12-week cut so you can get an idea-ish:

My arms have only gotten slightly bigger, mostly they're just way more defined, so if you're worried about going up in size - don't. I work shoulders really heavily at least once a week, sometimes twice, and the actual size change has been minimal. Plus, it happens really slowly. It's not like you'll wake up one morning with delts twice the size they were the day before.
    If you aren't willing to work for it, you probably don't deserve it. Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation, and if you aren't ready to lead or follow you had better be ready to get the hell out of the way.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127157663&page=22

occasional visitor stephanielynn76's Avatar
    stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post

I'm going to agree with this ^^. I actually love working shoulders and get complimented on my shoulders all the time! However... I am one that NEEDS wider shoulders to balance out my waist and make it look smaller...

jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessicajlin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by dollface33 View Post
    I'll try to be as clear as possible...

I'm currently following the LiveFit training routine and the split is:
    Chest & Triceps
    Back & Biceps
    Legs
    Shoulders & Abs

My question is, is it necessary to train on your shoulders for any other reason then to have them more defined aesthetically? I personally feel that I'd be happy with arms that are cut and defined, but I don't particularly feel the need to have larger delts (as I have big, wide shoulders anyway and don't want them to appear any larger). Would you need to train your shoulders to help strengthen your back, for example?

I was thinking that instead of doing the shoulder & abs day, I could switch it up to do another day of chest/ triceps or back/ biceps or whatever area might be lagging. And of course, I'd still do the ab part of it.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
    working out shoulders is certainly necessary to be proportionate
    and also by working out shoulders youll have more strength working biceps and triceps