Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Curious as to why you keep fat so low while bulking? Just what works for you? Or a specific reason behind it?
    Fitness Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107651531

nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 2 D View Post
    Curious as to why you keep fat so low while bulking? Just what works for you? Or a specific reason behind it?
    thanks for stopping by dude

there's no need to have total fat above 20% of total calories during a bulk, however this isn't a bulk just yet, as I'm still reverse dieting.
    Nick Ritchie
    NLP, Hypnotist, Online Fitness Coach

Join My 12 Week Transformation Program:

http://nickritchielive.com/transformation-program

nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickdavid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Saturday: Upper Hypertrophy

EZ bar Curl 3x5-7
    Standing Dumbbell Curl 2x8-12
    Hammer Curl 2x12-15
    Close-Grip Bench Press 3x5-7
    Dumbbell Overhead Extension 3x8-12
    Dumbbell Kickbacks 2x12-15

Notes: Great quick session today - only just over 20 minutes - refreshing from the 2 hour workout yesterday, that's for sure!

Hit some PR's on curls and presses

Strength just keeps going up each day - which is exactly as expected - and wanted.

Have temporarily shifted macros and bounced up calories based upon the last few weeks of progress

New kcals are:
    190/334/58 P/C/F
    Total calories: 2618
    *Up 488kcals

Based upon previous recomps I've been at around 3500-4000 daily, so 2618 isn't a stretch right now at all. Considering I lost about 1% body-fat over the last week and a half WITH a few CHEAT MEALS added in, including eating 4 magnum icecreams, couple extra bowls of sludge, a box of caramello choc icecreams and 2 x Saturday night dinners with steak, chips lots of fat etc.. Metabolism is definitely speeding up and the high intensity of my training sessions is definitely in line with that too..
    Last edited by nickdavid; 09-17-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Nick Ritchie

2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice session there, when you mentioned tempo do you keep the rest between low? Or supersets?
    Fitness Journal:

Nice session there, when you mentioned tempo do you keep the rest between low? Or supersets?
    Thanks 2D - Tempo

On heavier lifts I'll rest as long as I need 3-5 minutes
    On lighter 8-15 reps, I'll rest a little shorter but still take the time I need to break PR's, if that make sense?
    Nick Ritchie

Chest/Shoulders/Delts Hypertrophy

Notes: Change in training program - Drop sets = pain today. Good stuff! Was a great workout - I've never hit 110lb dumbbells for 6 reps before - felt right strong!

So PR there

The rest of the workout was all pump and burn. Rather painful but felt progressive.

Will relay against numbers as things move forward

Nutrition changes:
    286/204/60 P/C/F
    2426kcals

Notes: I also had some fun putting away 2l of icecream, a bar of white choc and a tub of custard on Sunday over the weekend. Still looking lean today - Will keep things tight for a few days and see how we progress
    Nick Ritchie

The Female Terminator RosieCheeScott's Avatar
    RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nickdavid View Post
    Chest/Shoulders/Delts Hypertrophy

Notes: Change in training program - Drop sets = pain today. Good stuff! Was a great workout - I've never hit 110lb dumbbells for 6 reps before - felt right strong!

So PR there

The rest of the workout was all pump and burn. Rather painful but felt progressive.

Will relay against numbers as things move forward

Nutrition changes:
    286/204/60 P/C/F
    2426kcals

Notes: I also had some fun putting away 2l of icecream, a bar of white choc and a tub of custard on Sunday over the weekend. Still looking lean today - Will keep things tight for a few days and see how we progress
    110lb for what exercise? Great that you did it for something you never have before, Nick Got to remember to keep your wrists firm and ensure a tight core all the time with them I found, especially if it's something like Seated DB Shoulder Press.

Looks like one of my meals that, LOL - bet you had some fun doing it

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach
    INSPIRATION ~ FITNESS ~ LIFESTYLE
    Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose.

Originally Posted by RosieCheeScott View Post
    110lb for what exercise? Great that you did it for something you never have before, Nick Got to remember to keep your wrists firm and ensure a tight core all the time with them I found, especially if it's something like Seated DB Shoulder Press.

Looks like one of my meals that, LOL - bet you had some fun doing it

~Rosie~
    I must have been updating fast - that was 110lbs for DB Bench Press

Cheat meal sounds like one of yours? LOL - You do far more cardio than I do though, so I have to be a little more careful when I decide to eat that much of that sort of food.. haha
    Nick Ritchie

A good PR there, getting over the 100s is very respectable.

Cheat meal with ice cream, yum. Speaking of which what do normal meals look like for you if you eat so clean?

Don't you Aussies have a shortage of yum yums compared to other countries? Another guy I followed on this site used to complain cause he couldn't get tasty treats there.
    Fitness Journal:

A good PR there, getting over the 100s is very respectable.

Cheat meal with ice cream, yum. Speaking of which what do normal meals look like for you if you eat so clean?

Don't you Aussies have a shortage of yum yums compared to other countries? Another guy I followed on this site used to complain cause he couldn't get tasty treats there.
    What do my normal meals look like?

Here's an example of what I ate yesterday

Meal #1
    Steak
    Sweet Potato
    Walnuts

Meal #2
    Whey Protein
    Sweet Potato
    Peanut Butter

Meal #3
    Steak
    Baked Potato
    Walnuts

Meal #4
    Whey Protein
    Rolled Oats
    Peanut Butter

As for yum yums, I haven't heard of those.. I think Aussies have plenty of crap food to tie em over.

By the way, I'm from New Zealand, not Australia - I'm just living here now..
    Nick Ritchie

RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000) RosieCheeScott is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I must have been updating fast - that was 110lbs for DB Bench Press

Cheat meal sounds like one of yours? LOL - You do far more cardio than I do though, so I have to be a little more careful when I decide to eat that much of that sort of food.. haha
    All good - progress is progress!

Sure does, LOL. I don't do that much cardio - only ~20 minutes six days a week, Nick; just enough re cardiovascular fitness, really.

I was going to say (Nick beat me to it), Nick's a Kiwi, LOL...The majority of people mistake Kiwis for Aussies for some reason, despite the fact that our accents are totally NOT the same!

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

I was going to say (Nick beat me to it), Nick's a Kiwi, LOL...The majority of people mistake Kiwis for Aussies for some reason, despite the fact that our accents are totally NOT the same!

~Rosie~
    Bahahaha, that's totally true! Then again, I mistake people from South Africa and Zimbabwe so I would be a bit of a hypocrite if I got all up and stuffy about people thinking I'm an Aussie.
    Nick Ritchie

Day 3: Arms/Calves Hypertrophy

Notes: Great pump. Some drop sets and supersets thrown in. Feeling very strong right now. Things keep moving up and up here.

Was 100% of my meal plan yesterday. hit my macros and wasn't hungry during the day at all. Which is good sign..j

Today (Wednesday) is rest day. Thursday is Quads and Hammies, so will be well rested by the time I hit them up.
    Nick Ritchie

I try not to be ignorant of others around me, including those of the people around me. TBH I have not traveled enough around the world to be able to tell the difference between someone from Australia and a Kiwi. Although I love hearing and learning about other countries, I just don't have the means right now to travel out of the states tbh. Heard New Zealand is beautiful, but not a whole lot to do outside of big cities.

I have heard mixed things about Australia but I would love to go there too some day, my attitude seems to be aligned with theirs.. relaxed and like to enjoy things as much as possible.
    Fitness Journal:

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Strong pressing! I finally hit 95's for 4 reps the other day... Catching up to you!
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

Bahahaha, that's totally true! Then again, I mistake people from South Africa and Zimbabwe so I would be a bit of a hypocrite if I got all up and stuffy about people thinking I'm an Aussie.
    LOL

I try not to be ignorant of others around me, including those of the people around me. TBH I have not traveled enough around the world to be able to tell the difference between someone from Australia and a Kiwi. Although I love hearing and learning about other countries, I just don't have the means right now to travel out of the states tbh. Heard New Zealand is beautiful, but not a whole lot to do outside of big cities.

I have heard mixed things about Australia but I would love to go there too some day, my attitude seems to be aligned with theirs.. relaxed and like to enjoy things as much as possible.
    "not a whole lot to do outside of big cities" - not sure who told you this, but they are so VERY WRONG! New Zealand is one of the biggest "adventure" countries of the world! There's HEAPS to do!

Australia is different, yes, but there are many things to do there as well - not just the beaches.

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Day #4: Rest day

Ate food. Rested. No cardio

Day #5: Back/Traps/Rear Delts

Notes:
    Turns out today was actually Back day instead of legs day.. Should have read the notes before hand.. Anyway, was a great back day. Hit 418lbs (190kg) for 3 on the deadlift... Was okay, but I wasn't aiming for those numbers and undershot my reps, damnit!

Anyway, back was totally fried after finishing heavy deads with a 10 rep set.

Moved onto some bent over rows, then some db shrugs supersetted with rear delt laterals.. and some other exercises.

Back was pretty well smoked from this session - Back thickness.

Tim did great too - Soldier on for tomorrow's Chest and Delts day!

LOL

"not a whole lot to do outside of big cities" - not sure who told you this, but they are so VERY WRONG! New Zealand is one of the biggest "adventure" countries of the world! There's HEAPS to do!

Australia is different, yes, but there are many things to do there as well - not just the beaches.

~Rosie~
    Rosie, said it!

Originally Posted by musclespro View Post
    Thanks for the workout
    ? No worries?
    Nick Ritchie

Day #5: Back/Traps/Rear Delts

Notes:
    Turns out today was actually Back day instead of legs day.. Should have read the notes before hand.. Anyway, was a great back day. Hit 418lbs (190kg) for 3 on the deadlift... Was okay, but I wasn't aiming for those numbers and undershot my reps, damnit!
    Today is Back/Chest day for me - even before my injury, it was my shortest session at only ~20 minutes, and still is. Be interesting to see how it goes, since I can manage lifting the barbell now re the wrist position required re bench pressing with minimal pain.

Great stuff on the numbers - always gives a smile when you're not expecting it

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Today is Back/Chest day for me - even before my injury, it was my shortest session at only ~20 minutes, and still is. Be interesting to see how it goes, since I can manage lifting the barbell now re the wrist position required re bench pressing with minimal pain.

Great stuff on the numbers - always gives a smile when you're not expecting it

~Rosie~
    Sometimes those quick sessions are good, hey... However with this *new program it's rather high volume.. We're talking many many sets and sessions lasting around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.. They're pretty solid! LOL

Numbers.. I need to adopt your strategy with numbers, Rosie - Whenever I hit a PR or a good number, I always say to myself, "C'mon dude, that sucked, you can do way better - and you will."

Which totally deprives me of the satisfaction of the achievement itself... Strange..

Anyway!
    Nick Ritchie

Sometimes those quick sessions are good, hey... However with this *new program it's rather high volume.. We're talking many many sets and sessions lasting around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.. They're pretty solid! LOL

Numbers.. I need to adopt your strategy with numbers, Rosie - Whenever I hit a PR or a good number, I always say to myself, "C'mon dude, that sucked, you can do way better - and you will."

Which totally deprives me of the satisfaction of the achievement itself... Strange..

Anyway!
    Each to their own as far as training and volume, etc., Nick. My training has changed so much over the years and I've done the short three times a week sessions of only 15-30 minutes, the 4-5 sessions a week of 60-120 minutes, etc., and the current way I've set my training up now is what has worked for me the best over the first half of this year, which is why I am keeping it like this for now. High volume is definitely my preferred way of doing things - and most of my sessions are 40-50 minutes at the moment, and from next week, the usual higher volume re sets, albeit with only 30 seconds recovery between supersets/alternate sets/sets, etc. - especially given my body, but it's good to also have that one shorter session in there.

Not sure it is a strategy of mine, LOL. Usually I finish training berating myself and saying I could have done better, especially right now, which is frustrating, because I know I should go harder sometimes, and yet not wanting to cause any damage that might set me back. Even before that, my lifting numbers have not been anything close to what I used to do for quite a while now, which has been odd.

Yes, anyway...Carry on, soldier!

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Some people benefit from positive reinforcement, while others thrive off of negative.

Depends on the individual.

Also for Rosie, some of my hardest workouts I've ever done were no longer than 25-30 minutes.

Also Nick, curious what your conditioning looks like whilst bulking and whilst cutting. I saw you mention earlier you seem to do it regularly.. as in year round or just to keep a sense of fitness? And I was mistaken about New Zealand, that is the beautiful one where they filmed Lord of the Rings? If so I think perhaps I got mixed up between it and Australia (not due to proximity, but because I went on later to mention Australia and was probably a step ahead of myself).

You ever play rugby then?
    Fitness Journal:

Each to their own as far as training and volume, etc., Nick. My training has changed so much over the years and I've done the short three times a week sessions of only 15-30 minutes, the 4-5 sessions a week of 60-120 minutes, etc., and the current way I've set my training up now is what has worked for me the best over the first half of this year, which is why I am keeping it like this for now. High volume is definitely my preferred way of doing things - and most of my sessions are 40-50 minutes at the moment, and from next week, the usual higher volume re sets, albeit with only 30 seconds recovery between supersets/alternate sets/sets, etc. - especially given my body, but it's good to also have that one shorter session in there.

Not sure it is a strategy of mine, LOL. Usually I finish training berating myself and saying I could have done better, especially right now, which is frustrating, because I know I should go harder sometimes, and yet not wanting to cause any damage that might set me back. Even before that, my lifting numbers have not been anything close to what I used to do for quite a while now, which has been odd.

Yes, anyway...Carry on, soldier!

~Rosie~
    I understand. Injuries aren't much fun..

Some people benefit from positive reinforcement, while others thrive off of negative.

Depends on the individual.

Also for Rosie, some of my hardest workouts I've ever done were no longer than 25-30 minutes.

Also Nick, curious what your conditioning looks like whilst bulking and whilst cutting. I saw you mention earlier you seem to do it regularly.. as in year round or just to keep a sense of fitness? And I was mistaken about New Zealand, that is the beautiful one where they filmed Lord of the Rings? If so I think perhaps I got mixed up between it and Australia (not due to proximity, but because I went on later to mention Australia and was probably a step ahead of myself).

You ever play rugby then?
    My conditioning year round? You can get a good idea by clicking this link that takes you to my bodyspace progress pictures page:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/yu...n=progresspics

I don't play rugby
    Nick Ritchie

Day #6: Chest/Shoulders/Calves

Notes:
    Great workout, shoulders were totally spent. Chest feels fried today.

Hit a PR on incline bench. did some supersetting. Was an epic workout.

Day #7: Quads, Hamstrings

Notes:
    What can I say, it was a crazy workout! Had Rob come along with me, he did great but like I said to him, almost every training partner I've had has thrown up with me.. He almost did, but he did well and did most of the workout.

Was supposed to rest today but will rest tomorrow (Sunday)

Body Comp Updates:

Bodyweight: 191.18lbs (UP 3lbs in 7 days)

Girth Measurements
    Chest - Up
    Shoulders - Up 1"
    Arms - Up
    Waist - Up only by .2" (nothing to worry about)
    Hips - Same
    Legs - Same
    Calves - Same

Notes: Happy with how things are moving.

I have a photoshoot lined up in a few days - Here's a progress shot from today

September 24th - After 5 or so of bulking

Nick Ritchie

Day #6: Chest/Shoulders/Calves

Notes:
    Great workout, shoulders were totally spent. Chest feels fried today.

Hit a PR on incline bench. did some supersetting. Was an epic workout.

Day #7: Quads, Hamstrings

Notes:
    What can I say, it was a crazy workout! Had Rob come along with me, he did great but like I said to him, almost every training partner I've had has thrown up with me.. He almost did, but he did well and did most of the workout.

Was supposed to rest today but will rest tomorrow (Sunday)

Body Comp Updates:

Bodyweight: 191.18lbs (UP 3lbs in 7 days)

Girth Measurements
    Chest - Up
    Shoulders - Up 1"
    Arms - Up
    Waist - Up only by .2" (nothing to worry about)
    Hips - Same
    Legs - Same
    Calves - Same

Notes: Happy with how things are moving.

I have a photoshoot lined up in a few days - Here's a progress shot from today

September 24th - After 5 or so of bulking

Looking good, Nick! Going to be even better once you're finished bulking - only area I see here that needs more mass is upper chest, so work on those inclines and do angled dips (if you're not already) Have fun with your shoot!

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Looking good, Nick! Going to be even better once you're finished bulking - only area I see here that needs more mass is upper chest, so work on those inclines and do angled dips (if you're not already) Have fun with your shoot!

~Rosie~
    Thanks Rosie! Your feedback is ALWAYS welcomed! I'll post up some mandatories soon and get some criticism to help fuel the fire. I haven't been critiqued for a long time...
    Nick Ritchie

kiwifaramir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    looking great Nick!

Originally Posted by kiwifaramir View Post
    looking great Nick!
    Callum, great to have you along, brother.

Be sure to start your own journal so I can follow along with your progress. Just link it in here once you've created one.

Just click the "Workout Journals" tab at the top and click "Start New Thread" - Then your in!

See you soon!
    Nick Ritchie

NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NattyFLEX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dude, In!!

Just seen this for the first time

Thanks Rosie! Your feedback is ALWAYS welcomed! I'll post up some mandatories soon and get some criticism to help fuel the fire. I haven't been critiqued for a long time...
    No worries, Nick We see ourselves all the time, and even if we notice the changes occurring, it definitely helps to sometimes have that second pair of eyes for an objective assessment, to make any necessary comments and recommendations.

Originally Posted by kiwifaramir View Post
    looking great Nick!
    Hey there, Callum Long time, no see!

~Rosie~
    Writer • Athlete • Coach

Originally Posted by NattyFLEX View Post
    Dude, In!!

Just seen this for the first time
    Hey brother, thanks for joining in on the ride!

No worries, Nick We see ourselves all the time, and even if we notice the changes occurring, it definitely helps to sometimes have that second pair of eyes for an objective assessment, to make any necessary comments and recommendations.

Hey there, Callum Long time, no see!

~Rosie~
    Thanks Rosie, much appreciated. Will post up soon

Callum's had a few changes in his life since down at the Salisbury Street apartments, haven't you Callum?
    Nick Ritchie