Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Off Season: Rugby league training

Hey guys it's the off season for my rugby league competition now
    Now I am overweight and play front row
    I want to move to lock so I plan on losing some weight and getting some speed
    My comp starts again around April and I would love to be fit by then
    I am 15, 177cm tall and weigh 95kg
    My aim is about 85kg at the maximum but I'd love to be about 75
    I know this is doable and should be ok but I need weighs to lose weight quickly and to train better to fit the lock forward role

So please give me some easy at home work outs.. and then maybe some gym work outs (remember only 15 so no heavy work outs please)
    I plan on going to gym during the end of year holidays. Late December - Early February.
    ALSO ANY EXERSISES TO HELP MY ANKLES (the main reason why I can't run too much. My ankles cave in towards the middle and hurts alot)

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    well for one thing deleted your avi since it has to be of you!!!

as far as no heavy workouts due to your age - i think that is very niece and you really need to research about that...

your ankle situation - have you seen a professional about this??? that needs to be seen before you can commit to what training is possible...
    Sleepy.

Efedrine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    well for one thing deleted your avi since it has to be of you!!!

as far as no heavy workouts due to your age - i think that is very niece and you really need to research about that...

your ankle situation - have you seen a professional about this??? that needs to be seen before you can commit to what training is possible...
    Would plyometrics, bodyweight exercises, sprints be beneficial at this age then?

Would it be bad to start doing something like rippetoes or 5x5 starting strength at this age( these are amazing routines IMO for people wanting to give themselves a base and also incorporate some of the lift used in rugby).

Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Broncos69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Efedrine View Post
    Would plyometrics, bodyweight exercises, sprints be beneficial at this age then?

Would it be bad to start doing something like rippetoes or 5x5 starting strength at this age( these are amazing routines IMO for people wanting to give themselves a base and also incorporate some of the lift used in rugby).
    Would you be able to give me a link to help explain these concepts to me?

Efedrine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Broncos69 View Post
    Would you be able to give me a link to help explain these concepts to me?
    I strongly suggest you start this routine:

forum . bodybuilding. com /showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

This is Rippetoes and has helped many young people become stronger and fitter. It incorporates compound lifts( which are very useful for Rugby) which can help build power and strength.

As for nutrition well the basic concept is 5-6 meals a day and 1g of protein per lb of weight so for you it's about 200g of protein per day and I wouldn't worry about counting the calories, just eat and exercise and you will lose fat( not the most comprehensive advice but it has worked for me when I first started working out).

As for rugby specific stuff, well I play union so wouldn't know much about league but I know that for both codes shoulders, back and legs are incredibly important. Work on your core( bridges, medicine ball exercises, swiss ball crunches).

Try to do some sprints if you want to get faster, do proper sprints for example 6 sets of 100 but you go all out and you have a good rest then go again. In time this will help you get faster.

Plyometrics are exercises which help build power, check out this article if you want to try them out( I would suggest that you get a bit fitter unles you are fit now to do them):

www .bodybuilding. com/fun/wotw27.htm

Body weight exercises are always beneficial and can be used to supplement your workout, just throw in a couple of sets of pull-ups, push-ups, burpees, jumping squats.

Now onto something a bit more serious and this is body-positioning, you can be the strongest guy in the world but if during the game your body positioning is bad then you'll go down like a sack of ****. Number one rule is having a straight back and looking forward, when tackling and doing crash balls always go low, go into contact with the shoulders and step into the tackle.

Just practice this on people with tackle shield or just tackle bags, body positioning makes a lot of difference and will of course help with safety, in union for example if you do not keep a straight back in a scrum you can get it snapped when going against a stronger prop.

Also when you are free try to get a feel for the ball, just throw it up and down, catch it a few times, pass it from hand to hand, pass it at targets to improve your accuracy.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that amazing post!
    I'll be sure to check out those links
    Very much appreciated!