db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Overhead Press - Testing Mobility

Personal progress on the overhead press is one of my most vexing issues in the gym. I tried the various flexibility / mobility tests in this article and wildly failed them all. You might, too.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...overhead_press
    01/07/06 - Quit Drinking. 03/15/08 - Quit Smoking.
    06/01/09 - At 118lbs, started lifting, intarweb fasting, and crab backtraced cycling.

Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500)
    doesnt address how to alleviate stress on your lower back
    what am i doing wrong?

informative read otherwise
    edit WOW u all are slow readers
    Egg foo young, En lo mein, so come on baby and have it just the same woooooynga

bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Use dumbbells instead of barbell and yours body will find best path for shoulder presses. I had problem with behind neck press, didn't like front one. With dumbbells I'm fine. Generally like to use dumbbells where is possible.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bbsitum View Post
    Use dumbbells instead of barbell and yours body will find best path for shoulder presses. I had problem with behind neck press, didn't like front one. With dumbbells I'm fine. Generally like to use dumbbells where is possible.

DB have not worked well for me with OHP. Went back to standing BB. Best move for me. Done correctly, I feel they allow more weight overall.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
    Personal progress on the overhead press is one of my most vexing issues in the gym. I tried the various flexibility / mobility tests in this article and wildly failed them all. You might, too.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...overhead_press
    I used to have those issues with a pretty serious impingement. Now I do chin tucks, shoulder dislocations with a towel or free-hand, and lots of pectoral/anterior deltoid stretching. I've been shoulder-flexible and pain free in the shoulders for over a year now.

Originally Posted by Tomohawk92 View Post
    what am i doing wrong?
    Arch your lumbar more and lift your hips behind you.

edit WOW u all are slow readers
    WTF?

Using dumbbells without first correcting the shoulder issues will exacerbate any impingement and/or forward roll on the shoulders.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post

Using dumbbells without first correcting the shoulder issues will exacerbate any impingement and/or forward roll on the shoulders.
    Have to agree 100%.

I jumped on the DB bandwagon, and as a result, almost abandon OHP altogether. Went back to a standing position, took extra extra care to really examine my form, and lo and behold, I am back in the game, and doing much better. I think DB are great for most movements, but to try and replicate OHP (and the weight required to stimulate growth) seems like a bad proposition if one struggles with BB OHP. JMO.

BB OHP does not (for most guys) limit the range of motion, unless you are doing them on a Smith. Matter of fact, I'd suggest that a BB forces you to have better, more consistent form. When I was doing DB, I had one arm taking one path, and the other arm doing something different. This normally caused me to spend a lot of time worrying about balancing myself on the bench, than focusing on the lift. This was just my experience and my opinion. I hope folks are doing what works best for them, and not doing what works/worked best for Arnold.

db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    what am i doing wrong?
    Perhaps this:

I use four coaching cues when bracing for the overhead press: air, abs, ass, and lats.

Air: Take a breath of air into your belly and lock it there.

Abs: "Lock" your rib cage by contracting your abs.

Ass: Tighten your glutes!

Lats: Raise your elbows to create a lat shelf and then squeeze.
    01/07/06 - Quit Drinking. 03/15/08 - Quit Smoking.
    06/01/09 - At 118lbs, started lifting, intarweb fasting, and crab backtraced cycling.

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Have to agree 100%. ....

BB OHP does not (for most guys) limit the range of motion, unless you are doing them on a Smith. Matter of fact, I'd suggest that a BB forces you to have better, more consistent form. When I was doing DB, I had one arm taking one path, and the other arm doing something different. This normally caused me to spend a lot of time worrying about balancing myself on the bench, than focusing on the lift. This was just my experience and my opinion. I hope folks are doing what works best for them, and not doing what works/worked best for Arnold.
    I also agree with you and Marius_U and find that my form is more consistent with BB.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    what am i doing wrong?
    Clean the barbell from the floor prior to pressing it, you back will become strong and you'll no longer complain about stress on it, you'll welcome it.

Use dumbbells instead of barbell and yours body will find best path for shoulder presses
    If you have problems pressing a barbell, you shouldn't press dumbbells, it's a injury just waiting to happen.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bbsitum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just like fact if can help someone. I did work out like 10 times per year in last 11-1 year. I did shoulder presses behind neck with barbell. It make pain and damage to my shoulder tendons (right name I guess). In last 15 months I work out regularly (because LA fitness pop out everywhere around me). I find at internet that OP with barbell can be bad for some people, like me. I switch to dumbbell press and even I work out shoulders 20 times more then before I don't have any pain. Just that simple switch can help in some case, like mine. Accurse this all is not from my head then I find it at internet. I’m an experienced fitness trainee and I know listen to my body. Dumbbell press work for me. There is a lot of topic about free movement of wrists with dumbbells at Google.

Just like fact if can help someone. I did work out like 10 times per year in last 11-1 year. I did shoulder presses behind neck with barbell. It make pain and damage to my shoulder tendons (right name I guess). In last 15 months I work out regularly (because LA fitness pop out everywhere around me). I find at internet that OP with barbell can be bad for some people, like me. I switch to dumbbell press and even I work out shoulders 20 times more then before I don't have any pain. Just that simple switch can help in some case, like mine. Accurse this all is not from my head then I find it at internet. I’m an experienced fitness trainee and I know listen to my body. Dumbbell press work for me. There is a lot of topic about free movement of wrists with dumbbells at Google.

Well, the bolded part is likely the bigger issue, not the BB itself. Behind the neck hurts me like hell.