TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJunior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skull Crushers vs Dips

Which is Better?
    I Do both, but dips hit my lower chest at the same time, which isn't always good
    SkullCrushers get awkward when going heavy.

Any Suggestions?
    BW-195
    Goal-220

Bench-308x3
    Goal-350x3, 315x10

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Skullcrushers will have more direct tricep impact. Both are valid movements.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HevEw8 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TheJunior View Post
    Which is Better?
    I Do both, but dips hit my lower chest at the same time, which isn't always good

Any Suggestions?
    How about kickbacks vs dips... the kickbacks really burn those tris...

kidding of course...

the stretch you get from properly performed skull crushers is beneficial, but weighted dips are a powerlifting assistance exercise for a reason (ie- madcow 5x5)

Work up to +100 lbs or more and you tell me which one hits the tris/chest harder... dips are also easy to modify with body position.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends on form....

I do both, and overhead rope pulls (extensions) as well. That rounds out my Triceps work.

for what it's worth.....I tend to get DOMS in my Tricep Medial Head with Skullcrushers. I rarely get that with dips or weighted dips for that matter. While I usually get DOMS in the Tricep Long Head with the overhead rope pulls.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Which is Better?

Any Suggestions?
    I found if I am facing away from the dip machine and my grip is on the very end of the handles I tend to have an easier time staying more upright which will hit the triceps better vs having your torso bend which will hit the chest as well.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) homegrown84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Which is Better?

Any Suggestions?
    I have done both of course but do to discomfort in my shoulder while doing dips I cut them out and used to do skull crushers all the time but last night I did decline skull crushers and man I don't know about anybody else but the difference is night and day. decline skull crushers ROCK. My tris were so pump it was amazing. Another great thing is that you don't need a spotter at all cause you are so close to the ground you just pick the weight right up. BUt I am a firm believer as of last night decline skulls are my new favorite tricep exercise.

mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000) mebby is a name known to all. (+5000)
    keep ur elbows in and legs straight to isolate triceps more on parallel bar, but it will still hit chest and shoulders

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by HevEw8 View Post
    How about kickbacks vs dips... the kickbacks really burn those tris...kidding of course...

the stretch you get from properly performed skull crushers is beneficial, but weighted dips are a powerlifting assistance exercise for a reason (ie- madcow 5x5) Work up to +100 lbs or more and you tell me which one hits the tris/chest harder... dips are also easy to modify with body position.
    What's to kid about? It's true that kickbacks cause more of a burning sensation since they put tension on the maximally contracted position, exactly where something like a dip wouldn't since your arms would be locked out and supported by the bones.

"which ones hits the chest harder" isn't a factor here, I don't think anyone's arguing that kickbacks or skullcrushers hit the chest.

As far as the triceps, whatever move hits it harder is a factor of resistance put on the muscle. So in theory they can all be the best. The reason dips succeed is probably because they are more stable, probably a more instinctive kind of movement (closed chain, bodyweight) and the huge poundage people move up to allow them to make really small increases in resistance that gradually boost them up to huge levels. The huge stretch put on the ground of the shoulder and chest risks dislocating the arm so lots of muscles will kick in to try and prevent that, like the triceps so you can bend the elbow more and shorten the leverage put on the shoulder, or the lats to help with adduction and even flexion as the elbow goes behind into hyperextension.

MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MauriceMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As someone said earlier in the thread

Keep your body upright while doing dips to reduce chest involvement.

Weighted dips / heavy close grip bench press are killer tricep exercises.

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by homegrown84 View Post
    I have done both of course but do to discomfort in my shoulder while doing dips I cut them out and used to do skull crushers all the time but last night I did decline skull crushers and man I don't know about anybody else but the difference is night and day. decline skull crushers ROCK. My tris were so pump it was amazing. Another great thing is that you don't need a spotter at all cause you are so close to the ground you just pick the weight right up. BUt I am a firm believer as of last night decline skulls are my new favorite tricep exercise.
    I've heard good things about decline skullcrusher, I'll have to try them.

OP, it really depends on how the exercise fits in your program.
    I blast my chest and shoulders with DBs bench and chins, so I couldn't add dips to that.
    Skullcrusher is my favourite triceps exercise.
    3k+

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    What's to kid about? It's true that kickbacks cause more of a burning sensation since they put tension on the maximally contracted position, exactly where something like a dip wouldn't since your arms would be locked out and supported by the bones.

"which ones hits the chest harder" isn't a factor here, I don't think anyone's arguing that kickbacks or skullcrushers hit the chest.

As far as the triceps, whatever move hits it harder is a factor of resistance put on the muscle. So in theory they can all be the best. The reason dips succeed is probably because they are more stable, probably a more instinctive kind of movement (closed chain, bodyweight) and the huge poundage people move up to allow them to make really small increases in resistance that gradually boost them up to huge levels. The huge stretch put on the ground of the shoulder and chest risks dislocating the arm so lots of muscles will kick in to try and prevent that, like the triceps so you can bend the elbow more and shorten the leverage put on the shoulder, or the lats to help with adduction and even flexion as the elbow goes behind into hyperextension.
    I must've been away for awhile. Tyciol is in the green now. Good advice too.

BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is no "better," only "both."

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BenW22 View Post
    There is no "better," only "both."
    Yeah, I say just do them both. If you are worried about doing dips because you want to avoid chest work on that particular day, then don't do dips. If skullcrushers feel awkward at higher weight, then you may be doing something wrong technique-wise. Move back to a weight just before it gets awkward and reevaluate. Elbows should not flare.

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I had to choose only one ... I'd go with the skull crushers over dips. I feel that they hit the tris more directly than dips. My tricep growth had stalled until I added decline close grip bench press to the mix. It's my new favorite in my tricep routine.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As stated previously, an upright torso on dips with elbows held in will torch the triceps more efficiently; leaning forward emphasizes the pecs. If you're still not progressing, give skullcrushers (or even better than that, close grip benches) a spin.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If I had to choose one I'd say skullcrushers (I like them on an incline bench) only because dips, especially weighted dips, tend to hurt my shoulders the heavier I go (I'm sure this is a form issue)

That said, I'd definitely incorporate both into your routine, they're both in the top 3 of tricep exercises I'd say.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I only do dips for chest as I feel these are better for chest than tri's. 2 different positions but too much dipping is tough on the shoulders.
    Skullcrushers are all about triceps and I feel the best overall right there with overhead dumbell extensions.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bonacris has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but what rep ranges do most of you guys do for dips?? I can do 15x5 but was thinking of getting a belt to add weights to or should i increase reps up to 20 or more??
    stats: jan 2012/ goals: jan 2013

DL :405/495
    Squat 275/315
    Bench 180/225 (feelsbadman)

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Skull crushers is primarily targeting the long head.

Dips will have more emphasis on lateral head.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

wawoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    skull crushers give more focus toward the tricep, and dips give you more of an upper body(chest, shoulder, arms). So it really depends on what you want to accomplish
    Check out!

http://adf.ly/2bExM (click "skip Ad" on upper right corner after the countdown)