chunkybum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile How Do I Maintain Muscle Mass Without Gaining More Muscles?

I have been using P90x and Insanity hybrid workout schedule and finally achieved lean arms.

How do I maintain my lean muscles in my arms without gaining more muscles?
    Can I stop doing the arm exercises ie pull-ups, weight training, and push ups altogether and just continue only performing the exercises in insanity fully to maintain my physique?
    Or would I have to still work out my arms to keep it at this muscular level but can I just not work out as often or as hard?

TIA
    Last edited by chunkybum; 09-06-2011 at 02:47 PM.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you stop, you'll lose what you've worked so hard to get. You could "maintain" what you have by continuing to do the exact same thing you have been doing---meaning don't go up in weight, sets, or reps.

I really can't see how massive gains of anything muscular could be gotten from either P90x or insanity, as they are mainly cardio-type workouts.

I personally like muscles. My fear is not having enough vs, having too much.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

53 Miles West of Venus Human Rocket's Avatar
    Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chunkybum View Post
    I have been using P90x and Insanity hybrid workout schedule and finally achieved lean arms.

How do I maintain my lean muscles in my arms without gaining more muscles?
    Can I stop doing the arm exercises ie pull-ups, weight training, and push ups altogether and just continue only performing the exercises in insanity fully to maintain my physique?
    Or would I have to still work out my arms to keep it at this muscular level but can I just not work out as often or as hard?

TIA
    Since you're doing a calorie burning workout then unless you have super high protein intake you are probably struggling to maintain muscle mass. You think the workout has put muscle on you but probably all it's done is help you burn the fat off exposing what muscle you already have. I don't see any reason to change your routine at all if you like the results you've gotten so far. You can keep doing what you're doing and maintain it with a healthy diet.
    And there's a plague of locusts upon us
    And there's a nightmare in the swarm
    And there's a lion out in the desert
    Slouching towards Bethlehem to be born again
    Backstreet's back alright... Alright...

TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    If you stop, you'll lose what you've worked so hard to get. You could "maintain" what you have by continuing to do the exact same thing you have been doing---meaning don't go up in weight, sets, or reps.

I really can't see how massive gains of anything muscular could be gotten from either P90x or insanity, as they are mainly cardio-type workouts.

Agreed 100%. No matter what, I always feel I need more gains.
    Woot for women who aren't afraid to gain.

If I hear "but I don't want to get big" again [from a female friend], I may pull out my hair....all of it.

OP- discdoggie said it right.

bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post

I'm right there with you...funny that most women are trying to get smaller and all I worry about is how to get bigger. My worst days are when I go to the gym and think my arms look skinny, lol.

chunkybum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone!! You guys are right I've been working so hard already so why not keep up my routine.

I've been struggling to get and maintain great abs. My abs keep losing its muscle mass and I can't get them more defined unlike my arms.

Any tips on creating defined abs and keeping them?