Thread: shoulder injury

toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shoulder injury

4months ago,I hurt my right shoulder when I was doing rear delt fly(pec deck machine),the pain is in the front part of the shoulder.When my right arm try to reach the left side(like stretching) I feel pain.Also, when I use my right arm to hold a phone in my ear(or similar movements) I feel pain too.After I take about 4weeks off(which is 2.5months after the injury) I can do bb/db flat/incline bench,db shoulder press but when I do dd row/seated cable row(narrow grip) I know that these movements will aggravate the injury(when go heavy),I can do bb row now which i can't do when I first go back to the gym after the 4-weeks off
    Moreover, I can't do side lateral raise before the 4-weeks-off,but now I can use very light weight to do it without pain(plus some alteration of the movement).I did a x-ray and it showed that nothing is wrong(no bone-realted problem).What's more,I don't think I have any swelling and red in the injured area(now) but when I start apply ice every 3-4 hours(form the 4-weeks-off to now),I feel better(slowly).
    So my question is what is the type of my injury?(rotator cuff tear?tendonitis?..etc)
    And what can I do to recover faster?If I go to see doctor,what type of doctor should I see(since x-ray showed no bone-related problem)?thanks.
    Last edited by toby0808; 08-29-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by toby0808 View Post
    4months ago,I hurt my right shoulder when I was doing rear delt fly(pec deck machine),the pain is in the front part of the shoulder.When my right arm try to reach the left side(like stretching) I feel pain.Also, when I use my right arm to hold a phone in my ear(or similar movements) I feel pain too.After I take about 4weeks off(which is 2.5months after the injury) I can do bb/db flat/incline bench,db shoulder press but when I do dd row/seated cable row(narrow grip) I know that these movements will aggravate the injury(when go heavy),I can do bb row now which i can't do when I first go back to the gym after the 4-weeks off
    Moreover, I can't do side lateral raise before the 4-weeks-off,but now I can use very light weight to do it without pain(plus some alteration of the movement).I did a x-ray and it showed that nothing is wrong(no bone-realted problem).What's more,I don't think I have any swelling and red in the injured area(now) but when I start apply ice every 3-4 hours(form the 4-weeks-off to now),I feel better(slowly).
    So my question is what is the type of my injury?(rotator cuff tear?tendonitis?..etc)
    And what can I do to recover faster?If I go to see doctor,what type of doctor should I see(since x-ray showed no bone-related problem)?thanks.
    It's hard to say what you may have injured. The shoulder is very complex joint, so similar symptoms may point to totally different issues.

It's a good sign that your shoulder is getting better, it means there is healing. If there is no swelling, you should apply a heat pack to the area as this can increase blood flow to the area, in turn more nutrients and therefore increase the healing rate.

It's also good to do cardio, as it increases the heart and therefore increased blood flow around the body, like the shoulder and also aid in healing.
    Strength without endurance, is as useless as, endurance without strength

*Eternal Virgin Crew*

toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toby0808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pluto1998 View Post
    It's hard to say what you may have injured. The shoulder is very complex joint, so similar symptoms may point to totally different issues.

It's a good sign that your shoulder is getting better, it means there is healing. If there is no swelling, you should apply a heat pack to the area as this can increase blood flow to the area, in turn more nutrients and therefore increase the healing rate.

It's also good to do cardio, as it increases the heart and therefore increased blood flow around the body, like the shoulder and also aid in healing.
    Thanks for the reply bro.About two months ago,I use heat for a few days,but I notice that it gets worse,and the area become red(long after the heat).Then when I switch to ice,it gets better.Also,I can't do heavy triceps pushdown.I would like to heed more other advice.

Unhappy

Please help.

Unhappy

No one can help me?

Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by toby0808 View Post
    Thanks for the reply bro.About two months ago,I use heat for a few days,but I notice that it gets worse,and the area become red(long after the heat).Then when I switch to ice,it gets better.Also,I can't do heavy triceps pushdown.I would like to heed more other advice.
    Well, if applying ice makes it better, you must still have some sort of inflammation.

If you have trouble doing heavy tricep pushdowns, then don't do them. They are not a "must exercise" for the triceps and there are plenty others you can do.

Have you tried doing light tricep pushdowns, and using a bar instead of a rope?
    Strength without endurance, is as useless as, endurance without strength

*Eternal Virgin Crew*

Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iceman85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Judging by your write-up, you are simply not allowing your shoulder to heal completely. Very little blood flow reaches the shoulder joint, so naturally it takes longer to heal than other areas. It's common for shoulder tendonitis to take at least 8 weeks to heal completely. Keep in mind that your shoulder joint is a very complex joint which is stressed while working out pretty much any upper body part. If you want to heal your shoulder in the quickest time possible, you should take an extended layoff from working upper body. It's a good sign that you are showing improvement after a 4 week break, but it's just not a long enough break. Ibuprofen/ice for a couple weeks. Gentle stretching and heat (if it doesn't increase symptoms) until healed.