shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100) shazboltan is not very well liked. (-100)

Form check. Squat, deadlift and bench. Videos included.

Hi all

I’ve recorded myself doing bench, squat and deadlift in a recent session. I still consider myself a beginner / improver to powerlifting so probably a lot to improve. I’ve been doing it almost a year now.

Squat (60kg):

youtu(.be)/Zi6Zn82_LNQ

youtu(.be)/-SZloUgdO9w

Bench (50kg):

youtu(.be)/1GMfmIgCsx8

Deadlift (70kg):

youtu(.be)/L5p4Acfrk6M

Would love any advice / tips. Probably a lot to improve on...

Thanks in advance

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    embedded for you:

rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000) rgoede097 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I think you could try experiment with a wider stance to hit depth on your squat a bit easier

For the deadlift your hips shoot up immediately on every rep, it looks like you're doing most of the lift with your upper body
    I recommend lifting 95% of the bar off the floor, then you focus more on pushing the floor with your legs while your body stays tight in place

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You got some crazy long legs my friend!

Here some things I spotted (also a beginner):

Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    - you are not hitting depth on every rep. Must be hard with long legs like you have, but if you wanna compete in powerlifting you have to make it a habit to always squat to parallel. That means your hip is lower than the top of your knees. First rep might have been okay, the others were to high.
    - conentrate on moving the bar in a straight vertical lign. the bar moves a little forward while moving down and coming up again. but this looked already pretty good
    - the bar should be super tight on your back. when you watch the collars you can see that the barbel is rolling up and down on your back

- keep your wrists straight
    and since you said you wanna do powerlifting, here some advice that will make you lift more weight
    - try a wider grip
    - arch your back more. your shoulders should be pinned into the bench
    - press your legs hard into the floor to pin your shoulders into the bench

- when you start lifting, you falls forwards. You can see that the angle when you lift is not the same anymore as the angle you had when setting up. try to get your abs and lower back under as much tension as you can, already before you lift the weight. squeeze your chest out as much as possible. The back should keep the angle from the setup until the bar is at your knees.
    - you are a little inconsistent with your back angle in the setup. this video might help you to do a correct setup every time:

another reason why your setup always looks a little different might also be the way you lower the weight. the weight should land in the very same spot where you started. when lowering the weight, do the upwards movement in reverse. it should be a straight line, and not move around the knees.

good luck!

Registered User PresDonaldTrump's Avatar
    PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100) PresDonaldTrump is not very well liked. (-100)
    NogainNopainbro makes some good points.

Another tip with the squat is not to thrust your hips through, the bar isn't travelling vertically because when you're at the top you push your hips through which moves the bar back, you can't brace effectively from that position, keep a very slight forward lean when you're at the top, go down from there and then when you come back up aim to hit that position again.

You're also shuffling your feet around in between reps, get your feet where you want them before the first rep and don't move them again until you re-rack.

You look pretty loose and relaxed in between the reps, stay tight, pull the bar down hard into your shoulders, squeeze your lats down, grip the bar hard.

For the bench to keep your shoulders tight try bending the bar, obviously we can't actually bend it but trying to will lock the shoulders into the right position and prevent your elbows from moving out.

For the DL, can't tell from the video angle but keep your hands as low as possible, this means rolling the shoulders back and then down, you won't have to go down as far to grip the weight. Also keep your arms perpendicular to the floor (pointing straight down) gripping too wide again means you will have to go down further to grip the bar, flex your triceps to ensure your arms are as straight as possible.

Also looks like you could go a bit heavier, get the form nailed down first but I think you have a bit more in the tank, every single rep should be difficult if you're training to lift heavy.

Happy lifting.
    Height: 7'1

Weight: 300kg

BodyFat: 2%

Deadlift: 501kg (Suck my ball Eddie Hall)

Bench: More than you can even count

Squat: ..... What's a squat ?