Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Beginning Stronglifts 5x5

Hello, I am thinking of starting Stronglifts 5x5 to build strength and lean mass. I know a big part of gaining weight is eating.

I am fairly new to lifting. I did it about 4 months total throughout high school, as well as the past month and a half. I did a lot of research and realized that I don't have a foundation, which is why I want to start a program like Stronglifts 5x5.

I was just wondering if I could add Pullups, Dips and Chin Ups to the different workouts.

For example:

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Chin Ups 3x6
    Dips 3x6

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Military Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pullups 3x6
    Dips 3x6

Would this be too much volume for strength and mass gains? Would doing them weighted also hinder gains, because my goal is to do them weighted.

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Yawz View Post
    Hello, I am thinking of starting Stronglifts 5x5 to build strength and lean mass. I know a big part of gaining weight is eating.

I am fairly new to lifting. I did it about 4 months total throughout high school, as well as the past month and a half. I did a lot of research and realized that I don't have a foundation, which is why I want to start a program like Stronglifts 5x5.

I was just wondering if I could add Pullups, Dips and Chin Ups to the different workouts.

For example:

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Chin Ups 3x6
    Dips 3x6

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Military Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pullups 3x6
    Dips 3x6

Would this be too much volume for strength and mass gains? Would doing them weighted also hinder gains, because my goal is to do them weighted.
    Doing that would not be correct, you even have them in the wrong order (if you were to include dips and chin ups then you would have dips first then chin ups since you are already fatigued from rows). I'd also recommend Starting Strength instead, I did stronglifts back when I started but I get new folks doing Starting Strength (3x5 is enough for new lifters). Make sure you get good technique, see if you can get someone to teach you or at the very least record your technique on working sets.

Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Yawz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for the introduction to Starting Strength! If I read things correctly, the major difference is 3 working sets instead of 5?

Also, would doing both chins and pullups on different days along with dips be too much volume?

Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the introduction to Starting Strength! If I read things correctly, the major difference is 3 working sets instead of 5?

Also, would doing both chins and pullups on different days along with dips be too much volume?
    5x5 is NOT 5 working sets. Its "ramped sets" meaning you increase the weight on each set. And no doing chins and dips on different days is not too much volune. 5x5 has you doing dips and curls anyways.
    * MISC IT expert *
    * Ron Paul for president!! *

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
    5x5 is NOT 5 working sets. Its "ramped sets" meaning you increase the weight on each set. And no doing chins and dips on different days is not too much volune. 5x5 has you doing dips and curls anyways.
    StrongLifts is 5x5 sets across not ramped.

OP, I did StrongLifts for 18 months and had great results with it. 470lbs 5x5, not sure why so many say 5x5 sets across is too much, especially when you are starting with an empty bar.

In the beginning adding those extras will not be too much. Over time you may find the need to drop some of the assistance.

SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000) SoulZeppelin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm working SL 5x5 right now and seeing great results. The recovery can get brutal from time to time and you may, as previous suggested, need to drop the assistance as you progress. If you do them, just keep it after your regular workout. I do some assistance too.

Also, SL 5x5 is SETS ACROSS, not ramp sets. All working sets are at the same weight, increase each workout when completed previous workout. Just like last poster said

Ok, now I'm sure lots of people have gained great results doing both Stronglifts and Rippetoes. So my questions is this:

Taken into account that I do want to do weighted dips, pullups and chins as assistance exercises, do you think the 5x5 or 3x5 template would be more beneficial?

My "guess" would be the 3x5 just because its less volume, but again I don't know so I'm looking for insight with someone with more experience than myself.

Thanks to everyone so far, its nice to receive positive feedback and constructive criticism.

@Heavy_Beats, thanks for the dip tip.

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok, now I'm sure lots of people have gained great results doing both Stronglifts and Rippetoes. So my questions is this:

Taken into account that I do want to do weighted dips, pullups and chins as assistance exercises, do you think the 5x5 or 3x5 template would be more beneficial?

My "guess" would be the 3x5 just because its less volume, but again I don't know so I'm looking for insight with someone with more experience than myself.

Thanks to everyone so far, its nice to receive positive feedback and constructive criticism.

@Heavy_Beats, thanks for the dip tip.
    Stronglifts you start with an empty for most lifts. Starting Strength you figure out what your starting weights are. If you follow either program you will have success. 5x5 sets across with the assistance will not be an issue in the beginning. I would do the extra sets and drop to 3x5 when the volume becomes too much later.