PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Was I a fool for purchasing powerbloks?

I bought two powerblok u90's (5-50lb adjustable) thinking that it was the best way to go about things. This one salesguy was nice enough to walk me through things, and he even tried talking me into buying less in some cases... so when he recommended the powerbloks, I believed him. Locally I couldn't find 1-inch weights for spindle-lock dumbbells, so I thought that my only option was powerbloks.

I then found out that there are olympic dumbbells the other day! I've been lifting for two years and never heard of such a thing. And the guys at the store pretty much acted like they didn't exist (not that I asked... but I was asking about my dumbbell options). I already purchased a bunch of olympic plates, so the dumbbells would've done everything the powerbloks do anyways.

Was I swindled into buying these fancy powerbloks? Or are they still really useful? I'd love some input... maybe positive input as to why they might still be useful lol.

Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trevy-trev is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you will enjoy using the powerblocks a lot more than olympic dumbells.

The adjustment time is quicker and more convenient, they are more compact(won't bump your legs when doing curls etc...), safer(there are few, if any olympic collars I would trust while holiding the dumbell on end above my head with heavy weight).

DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I thought that when I got olympic dumbbell handles I'd be happy.......sold dem ****s, hated them. I've had little experience with powerblocks, but from that little experience I know I liked them more than the oly handles. I chose to go with individual dumbbells and don't regret it...

Registered User ira_est_a_donum's Avatar
    ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    agreed... you will love the powerblocks so much more vs olympic dumbbells.... where you went wrong was buying them instore... should have searched craigslist and got a good used set for cheap.... if you can return them... might consider it if you can find a pair on craigslist....

I love my powerblocks...!! and ive had olympic dumbbells before...

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    One more vote for the power blocks over oly handles. One more vote for returning them and buying a used pair. It's a shame, but they're so danged expensive new.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would much rather have powerblocks than olympic dumbbells, and I think most people on this board are going to agree.

tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i love my pb's thay are way quicker to go from weight too weight

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One thing that the OP gets with new PowerBlocks as opposed to used PowerBlocks is a warranty. The PowerBlock warranty - and indeed most warranties on other items too - only applies to the original owner.

TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TonkaTom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like them.

Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    One thing that the OP gets with new PowerBlocks as opposed to used PowerBlocks is a warranty. The PowerBlock warranty - and indeed most warranties on other items too - only applies to the original owner.
    ^^ This. The urethane model that you own have a lifetime warranty.

Registered User nogoodnameslef4's Avatar
    nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nogoodnameslef4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    one of the best investments for a home gym you can make

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I would never lift a pair of Olympic dumbbells over my face/head.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
    I bought two powerblok u90's (5-50lb adjustable) thinking that it was the best way to go about things. This one salesguy was nice enough to walk me through things, and he even tried talking me into buying less in some cases... so when he recommended the powerbloks, I believed him. Locally I couldn't find 1-inch weights for spindle-lock dumbbells, so I thought that my only option was powerbloks.

I then found out that there are olympic dumbbells the other day! I've been lifting for two years and never heard of such a thing. And the guys at the store pretty much acted like they didn't exist (not that I asked... but I was asking about my dumbbell options). I already purchased a bunch of olympic plates, so the dumbbells would've done everything the powerbloks do anyways.

Was I swindled into buying these fancy powerbloks? Or are they still really useful? I'd love some input... maybe positive input as to why they might still be useful lol.
    Powerblocks are just fine. Just take care of them. They are a bit insanely priced but they do perform well. Just pay attention to the pin, as some of them have been known to wear over time.

Rtegiresed Uesr ส้้้้้้้ WheyBeastly's Avatar
    WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post

Powerblocks are good stuff; got a pair myself. FYI, you got U-50's, not U-90's if they are urethane ones and go up to a rated or w/e 50lbs.
    Formerly Jouho.

Current/Goal
    Bench: 2.5 lbs / 5 lbs
    Squat: 3 lbs / 6 lbs
    Deadlift: 4 lbs / 7 lbs

*I'm actually an ant irl crew*

Zaith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's okay to have powerblocks, they are better than db.
    weight lifting routines

Rtegiresed Uesr ส้้้้้้้ WheyBeastly's Avatar
    WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WheyBeastly is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Zaith View Post
    Powerblocks ARE dumbbells.
    Formerly Jouho.

Current/Goal
    Bench: 2.5 lbs / 5 lbs
    Squat: 3 lbs / 6 lbs
    Deadlift: 4 lbs / 7 lbs

*I'm actually an ant irl crew*

Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WheyBeastly View Post
    Powerblocks are good stuff; got a pair myself. FYI, you got U-50's, not U-90's if they are urethane ones and go up to a rated or w/e 50lbs.
    Not necessarily. U90 stage 1 are only 50lbs.

Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chivalrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man I saw these the other day, but thought they were a gimmick, nice to see all the support on them, maybe i'll consider buying some..
    Lift.

tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tubtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Zaith View Post
    rflmao

Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been after some Powerblock 9.0 stage I & II for a while now. In the UK they are about £400 just for stage I and another £250 for stage II. Never seen any second hand on eBay and Craigslist here in the UK isn't very popular.

I have Olympic dumbbells and whilst they do the job, it can take a few minutes to change the weight on the bars and by then I feel I am losing any effort put into the previous set.

Apart from buying 5-90lb dumbbells at the cost of thousands Powerblocks are the way to go.
    Go big or go home!

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm pretty far from being a fan of pb's. I used to own a set and sold them for another type of adjustable db. That being said, I've also owned oly db handles and those were definitely worse than pb's, if I could only choose between the two, I'd have to go with the pb's. I'd say you didn't get swindled but there are more options out there for sure.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #30 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #7 []---[]

Home gym pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1192814061&viewfull=1#post1192814061
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1198875921&viewfull=1#post1198875921
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1202033661&viewfull=1#post1202033661

booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10) booyagasha is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    U are a powerblock if u buy powerblocks

Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thremix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IRONMASTERS are the way to go, if speed is not an issue.... Even then they are pretty quick...