Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

horan's rugby journal - journey to play university rugby

So I'm a senior and planning on attending college in the USA next year, i'm still in the process of choosing colleges so i'm not certain if i'll be trying out for a DI, DII, or DIII rugby club but either way I'm dedicating this senior year (at least my free time between rugby and school) to becoming a bigger and stronger rugby player. I've also had injuries the past 2 season i've played that have put me out for about 2 months so hopefully putting some meat on my bones will help prevent this.

I've played rugby for about 2 years for 2 different school teams and I've spent the entire time at 2nd row. I've got the height at 6'2" (190cm) but i don't have the size or strength, i'm about 198lb (90kg), skinny fat.
    My current lifts are at

Squat: 215lbs (97.5kg) x5
    Bench press: 145lbs (65.7kg) x5
    Barbell Row: 135lbs (61.2kg) x5
    Overhead Press: 100lbs (45kg) x5
    Deadlift: 325lbs (147kg) x5

It's pretty obvious that i have a long way to go but the good thing is that it can only get better from here
    I'll be doing Stronglifts 5x5
    The reason I'm doing this journal is to motivate myself, my goal is to dominate the rugby field, plain and simple. I know there's a long road ahead and that i'm far behind most kids my age but I love rugby and I will not stop until i'm the strongest player on the pitch.
    Going for a workout in about 30 min and will update then.

horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10) horan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Should've probably mentioned that once a week ill do some explosive work, so higher reps and lighter weight, in replacement for 5x5. I try to keep it pretty random also but stick to compound exercises, today was an explosive day.
    pretty bad day and hate to start off the journal like this :/
    did:

fast squats:
    3x5 135lbs
    1x3 145lbs
    1x3 185lbs

these did not go well at all, i've had 3 morning trainings this week and 1 7s game so my body, especially my legs, was pretty tired.

chest supported rows:
    1x10 45lbs
    1x5 90lbs
    1x5 70lbs

explosive push ups
    3 x 10 with 30sec rest in between

jump rope
    2min as fast as possible, 30 sec rest x3

power clean
    3x10 95lbs with 30sec rest
    this was the first time i ever did these so i didn't want to do too much weight, still was pretty tiring though especially the last set as i really focused on exploding as much as possible off the floor.

i decided to not do too much due to the reasons as said before, im incredibly tired and really need some rest, back to 5x5 tomorrow and doing deadlifts so im gonna make sure to get a good nights sleep, TGIF, also im 2 exercises from putting up 2 plates on squat which im pretty excited about as the heaviest squat ive ever done was around 230-235lbs

just got back from the gym, it's ridiculous how much of a difference a few hours of sleep makes. Felt ****ing awesome today.
    Did:

5x5 Squat: 220lbs
    - Finally will be squatting 2 plates on monday!!!

5x5 Overhead Press: 105lbs
    - This is my worst lift, I've never made it above 3x5 110lbs, there's something about this lift....

1X5 Deadlift:335lbs
    - I've been doing squats belted for about three workouts in total in order to make sure to keep my core tight but have never done it on deadlift, I tried it today and it didn't seem like it made that much of a difference. The only good thing was that it served as a reminder for when I curved my back as the belt would then dig into my stomach.

Assist work (all with 30sec rest between sets):
    3x8 Pull ups

Hammer curls:
    1x15 20lbs
    1x12 25lbs
    1x10 30lbs

Have mixed feelings about today, on the 1 hand i finally reached 2 plate squat, but on the other hand my bench is so god damn bad, i dont get how low it is...

5x5 Squat: 225lbs
    - Felt pretty good, at least the first 3 or so sets, finally at 2 plates!! YEAH BUDDY

4x5 Bench press: failed 150lbs on last set....
    - I don't get my bench...it feels so unproportionally low compared to all my other lifts...i've played around quite a bit with grip and watched a lot of form videos on youtube but nothing seems to help. I guess the bench press is just my achilles heel and is something im gonna have to spend extra time on, might consider looking into running blast my bench simultaneously with 5x5 as i've seen someone else do it with SS.

5x5 Barbell Row: 140
    - Nothing to comment on about rows.

accessory lifts
    3x5 Dips

3x10 Fast incline bench 75lbs

Johnta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what position are you playing? i played wing and fullback for a year but want to eventually play flanker. nice workout by the way, keep it up!!

Originally Posted by Johnta View Post
    what position are you playing? i played wing and fullback for a year but want to eventually play flanker. nice workout by the way, keep it up!!
    thanks man, i play as a lock
    "There is no such thing as staying the same. You are either striving to make yourself better or allowing yourself to get worse."

haven't updated in a while cause i was re-working my lifting days around school and training, will be lifting saturday, monday, wednesday from now on

Today felt pretty tough, i don't think im getting enough calories and im gonna have to make an effort to eat quite a lot more. My maintenance calories lies at around 3000 calories so ill be aiming for around 3400 calories per day

5x5 Squat: 230lbs
    - Felt pretty hard, not sure if i went deep enough either

4x5 Bench press: failed 150lbs on last set....
    - Failed again, if i don't get it next bench day ill be resetting to 135 and working my way up from there.

5x5 Chest supported row: 115lbs
    - Decided to do this instead of normal barbell rows to prevent cheating, felt a lot harder compared to barbell rows

no accessory lifts today
    "There is no such thing as staying the same. You are either striving to make yourself better or allowing yourself to get worse."

pretty good day

3x5 Squat: 235lbs
    2x5 Squat 205lbs
    - 235 felt pretty heavy and as a result i felt that depth and form were being sacrificed so i decided to switch to 205 for the last 2 sets to really focus on getting below parellel and not bending over as i come up

5x5 Overhead Press: 110lbs
    - Finally!! Felt amazing to get the full 5 reps on the last set which i've never been able to do before

1X5 Deadlift:345lbs
    - Form was pretty shaky on this and i'm quite sure that it wouldn't pass in a PL meet as i wasn't completely locking out. One really annoying thing about the plates at my gym is that they're not completely round, they have edges, so sometimes when i put the bar down it'll shift forward or backward if i put it down on the edge of a plate meaning my set up is completely messed up for the next rep...i think this messed me up on this one, i've also managed to mess up my finger during rugby so my grip wasn't 100%

Accessory lifts (all with 30sec rest between sets):
    3x8 Pull ups

ez-bar curls:
    1x10 45lbs
    1x10 55lbs
    1x5 75lbs

brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) brownj12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, good to hear you are looking at coming to America for college and to play rugby.

Do you know what you want to go to school for? Do you know where you want to study (what state or region)?

At 6'2" a lot of programs may move you out of the lock position, depending on your stengths and weaknesses you may get moved to 6,7 or8 or into the back line. 6'2" is not very tall for a lock at a D1 or good D2 program.

nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you named after rugby legend Tim Horan?

Originally Posted by brownj12 View Post
    Hey, good to hear you are looking at coming to America for college and to play rugby.

Do you know what you want to go to school for? Do you know where you want to study (what state or region)?

At 6'2" a lot of programs may move you out of the lock position, depending on your stengths and weaknesses you may get moved to 6,7 or8 or into the back line. 6'2" is not very tall for a lock at a D1 or good D2 program.
    Yeah i've always been interested in the US and have attended american curriculum schools almost all my life so going to the US felt like a pretty natural thing to do. I'm still looking quite a bit at different schools, have a few im considering but nothing is 100% yet. I'll be studying business, most likely finance.

Yeah i've come to realize that there is a chance i might get put at a different position, im aiming to stay as a forward though and perhaps play as a flanker or something. If i were to be put in the back line i would have to work quite a bit on my speed as that is not one of my strong points right now.

Originally Posted by nicksixx View Post
    Are you named after rugby legend Tim Horan?
    nah thats just a coincidence

Felt pretty good today but decided to focus on form so i dropped the weight a bit on squat and bench.
    I'm starting to be able to tell that the work im putting in is making a difference, i was able to power through some people at practice the other day like i've never really been able to do before, or at least not as easily, felt ****ing great.

4x5 Squat: 215lbs
    1x5 225lbs
    - Felt good, made sure to really get bellow parellel and keep my chest up. Decided to do 225lbs for the final set and it felt quite easy

5x5 Bench press: 135lbs
    - Worst lift, made sure to keep really strict form though. Also made sure that i didn't bounce the bar off my chest at all while still making sure to touch chest.

5x5 Barbell row: 145lbs
    - Rows felt good, have a tendency to unconsciously straighten myself out a bit which ends up with me doing more of a yate row rather then parallel barbell rows though...

Accessory lifts (all with 30 sec rest):

3x5 Dips
    1x20 25lbs dumbbell bench press
    1x15 30lbs dumbbell bench press
    1x12 40lbs dumbbell bench press

today was a pretty **** day as a result of me going out this weekend, got pretty drunk friday and only got like 3 hours of sleep, and i didn't have much to eat so i didn't feel like i had a lot of energy. Can't afford to do this too often...

4x5 Squat: 220lbs
    1x5 Squat 225lbs
    - Got a good depth but the reps were really really slow.

3x5 Overhead Press: 115lbs
    1x4 Overhead Press: 115lbs
    1x3 Overhead Press: 115lbs
    - This was heavy, every rep felt tough and the last few on each set were a grind, didn't manage to get the full 5 sets.

1X4 Deadlift:345lbs
    - Decided to redo 345 since the form was shaky the last time i did it. Felt good, went through the full ROM this time. I missed the last 1 though cause one of the plates shifted on the 4th rep causing it to bounce off the ground since the edge of the plate was sticking out which resulted in me coming up lopsided and this messed me up so my grip just gave out coming up on the 5th rep. Could've definitely done it otherwise though.

Accessory lifts (all with 30sec rest between sets):
    3x8 Pull ups

cable curls:
    Dono the weight but did increasing sets.
    1x10
    1x10
    1x10

Good day today

5x5 Squat: 225lbs
    - Felt great, depth was good and form was good

5x5 Bench press: 140lbs
    - No issues here, was rushed on last 2 sets so only got around 40s - 1min rest so they were a bit harder but still got it.

(not sure if i should count the bar as 45lbs or not, i did last time but this time ill just put the weight on the bar)
    1x5 Chest supported row: 125lbs
    - Way too heavy
    1x5 Chest supported row: 115lbs
    - Too heavy as well, couldn't get a good ROM
    3x5 Chest supported row: 90lbs
    - Good weight, strict form.

accessory lifts (all with 30sec rest):
    3x8 Dips

1x12 Incline bench press: 65lbs
    1x10 Incline bench press: 75lbs
    1x7 Incline bench press:95lbs

Deciding to do a variation of SL 5x5 and SS, will be doing lifts 3x5 so that i can't really focus on getting as much intensity as possible in those 3 sets, 5 sets is just too long to be pumped up for the whole thing. Rugby season is really kicking off now, 7s match next week and a tournament the week after that. Can't wait.

3x5 Squat: 230lbs
    - Felt awesome, good depth and form

3x5 Overhead Press: 115lbs
    - Got this no problem

1X2 Deadlift:345lbs
    1x1 Deadlift: 355bls
    - 345 felt really hard and i was only able to get 2 reps. I think it was mainly in my head. Was pretty pissed about this so decided to just try 355x1 and it felt really good. Deadlifts for me seem to be 90% mental, other lifts i can usually just grind them out but with the deadlift if im not feeling 100% in my head i just can't seem to do them. Also, ripped up my shins cause of the stupid grip on the bar and was bleeding quite a bit, got blood on the towel but luckily the gym didn't charge me for it :P

3x8 Pull ups

ez-bar curls:
    1x15 35lbs
    1x12 65lbs
    1x5 75lbs

Won't be training again till saturday i think, have practice tomorrow morning as well as a game after school so ill be dead all of wednesday, and cause i don't want to mess up the scheduling of my workout im just gonna wait till next week, ie saturday, to work out again.

3x5 Squat: 235lbs
    - Felt pretty heavy, lower back hurt a little after so i think i was leaning forward a bit when coming up

3x5 Bench press: 145lbs
    - Nothing to comment on, felt great

3x5 Barbell row: 150lbs
    - Tried a wider grip and it felt a lot better compared to the narrower grip i was using before.

3x8 Dips

10x medince ball pushups
    10x explosive push ups
    10x wide hand position push ups

the game we had this week went great, beat them like 21 - 0

2x5 Squat: 240lbs
    1x4 Squat: 240lbs
    - that 5 rep was purely psychological, so pissed i pussied out and didn't do it

3x5 Overhead Press: 120lbs
    - was a grind but i got it in the end, this is a new PR, i was at 115 towards the end of last year and never got passed it.

1X5 Deadlift: 335lbs
    - Messed up with the plates and accidentally did 335. Felt good but my hands were destroyed after, i had to reset my grip after the 3rd rep.

3x8 Pull ups

preacher curls:
    1x13 45lbs
    1x10 55lbs
    1x3 65lbs

Good days today

3x5 Squat: 240lbs
    - No problems here, knew the reason i failed last time was psychological

3x5 Bench press: 150lbs
    - Finally got this, felt good

3x5 Chest supported row: 100lbs
    - A lot harder compared to barbell row, i feel it a lot more in my back when doing this compared to barbell row, which feels much more full body

3x8 Dips

chest press machine:
    1x10 90lbs
    1x10 100lbs
    1x5 100lbs

have a game on tuesday but im gonna try to make it to the gym on wednesday depending on how beat up i am

BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000) BenT is just really nice. (+1000)
    good training mate.

whereabouts do you play (club-wise) in Singapore?
    531 for Wrestling: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150559883

52 books challenge: 9
    Currently reading: "I am Legend"

Originally Posted by BenT View Post
    good training mate.

whereabouts do you play (club-wise) in Singapore?
    Thanks man, right now im not playing for any club, just playing for my school team. Don't really have time to play for a club team.

did some explosive work and core work yesterday, everything with 30sec rest

power cleans:
    2x10x 45lbs
    10x 55lbs
    10x 65lbs
    5x 115lbs
    3x 135lbs

jump rope
    3x30sec as fast as I could

hyperextension
    2x20 bodyweight
    1x20 with 35lbs plate

plank supersetted with leg raises
    2x1 min plank 25x leg raises

push up to row
    3x6 25lbs dumbells

Step ups
    10x 60lbs
    10x 100lbs
    10x 150lbs

size update

Heading to the gym in a bit but I thought I'd take this time and do an update on size and that sort of stuff

First pic is before I started working out, at around 82-84kg, 2nd pic is when I started this log which is at 88-89kg, and final picture is now, 90kg (i know it's a bit weird that I switch between metric system and us customary but I find it easier to have body weight in kg cause of my scale, what I lift in lbs since the plates at my gym show lbs, and height in feet and inches just cause it's easier to look at)
    all at 6'3"
    I know I was at 14% body fat in the 2nd pic, I think I might be at 15% or 14.5% in the current pic

progress is slow as i'm finding it hard to get in enough calories cause of training since we do a lot of cardio in rugby, but i think the main thing to focus on is just pure strength gains and not so much weight, as long as my strength gains go up i'm happy.

not too great today, had little energy

1x5 Squat: 245lbs
    1x4 Squat: 245lbs
    1x2 Squat: 245lbs
    - The 3rd set was the first time I actually failed the squat and had to drop it onto the safety bars, previously I've just known I wouldn't be able to go for another squat and re-racked it instead.

1x3 Overhead Press: 125lbs
    1x3 Overhead Press: 125lbs
    1x2 Overhead Press: 125lbs
    - holy **** this was hard

1X5 Deadlift: 350lbs
    - Felt good but my grip was close to failing on the 4th rep so had to reset it for the 5th rep

had no energy for any assist work and just did some hammer curls but not even going to count them cause they were a joke, this is the first time i haven't been able to do any assist work....

Location: edinburgh, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    nice work keep it up. that's a pretty good wieght gain in 2months or so, id be pretty happy going up 6kg in 2months and it looks pretty solid as well. i also wouldn't be to bothered about your bench it isnt really that far behind your squat. There used to be a point where i was squating double what i could bench and it didn't bother me to much, just keep at it and you'll keep making gains.
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

Originally Posted by toad1 View Post
    nice work keep it up. that's a pretty good wieght gain in 2months or so, id be pretty happy going up 6kg in 2months and it looks pretty solid as well. i also wouldn't be to bothered about your bench it isnt really that far behind your squat. There used to be a point where i was squating double what i could bench and it didn't bother me to much, just keep at it and you'll keep making gains.
    yeah aight thanks mate. Yeah the bench i've just stopped worrying about, being pissed off and disappointed isn't gonna get you anywhere so im just gonna keep on focusing on improving week to week and over time hopefully ill be able to reach a more respectable bench press :P

1x5 Squat: 245lbs
    2x3 Squat: 245lbs
    1x2 Squat: 245lbs
    - The squat was horrible today, i had no energy and no motivation for some reason, it just felt really really heavy

3x5 Bench press: 155lbs
    - Not too hard, reps were a bit slow though

3x5 barbell rows: 155lbs
    - Form was sloppy but i got it

Incline bench press
    45lbs x10
    65lbs x10
    95lbs x10
    115lbs x3

Found some good speed and power exercises to do friday, posting them here so i don't forget:
    Power cleans
    Power Shrugs
    Medicine Ball Throw Down
    Explosive push ups

and then core work:
    plank supersetted with leg raises
    back extension

CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CollegeTuss14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subscribed to your thread brah. Starting SL 5x5 today in order to improve my strength. Most of your lifts are right around mine.

Originally Posted by CollegeTuss14 View Post
    Subscribed to your thread brah. Starting SL 5x5 today in order to improve my strength. Most of your lifts are right around mine.
    aight thanks man, ill check your log out

i had practice this morning and got crazy groin pain, i don't know when i exactly got it but when i got off the field i began to notice it. It's worse when i've been sitting or been still for a long time and then start walking, after a while of walking it isn't too noticeable though, i have no idea what happened. Since we have a tournament coming up next week im considering taking a rest week from lifting and just focusing on the team practices, i will do the speed and power training on friday though.

So things didn't really end up as planned due to things conflicting with workout time i was forced to push this workout to today :/. Felt good today though, the core work was especially hard. Didn't get to do power shrugs cause the power rack was taken for the entire session...

3x10 Power cleans (1min rest)
    115lbs
    - nearly failed the last rep on the last set

3x20 Medicine Ball Throw Down (30sec rest)
    - gym only has 5kg medicine balls so this was quite easy

3x10 Explosive push ups (30 sec rest)

3x20 back extension (30 sec rest)
    - next time i'm going to do this last, my lower back was dead after

3x1min plank supersetted with 25x leg raises
    - was pretty brutal

Jump rope

should also mention that i'm gonna be doing a deload week this week as i have a tournament coming up and i had some groin pain last week which i think originates from squatting so i just want to make sure im 100% for the tournament
    Last edited by horan; 10-09-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nice progress man hope ur watching the rugby world cup games!