Atheus Militante de Pacis boseador's Avatar
    boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000)

Sleep and muscle growth

Hey guys,

So during sleep our muscles recover and grow, right?

Does it matter when? If I take a 1 hour nap at 4 pm will my muscle grow?

Thanks
    Pro MMA record: 0-0-0

“How could they see anything but the shadows if they were never allowed to move their heads?” - Plato

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Some eloquent speech is as effective as magic.” - Prophet Mohammed

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Naps are good when and if you need them. They're not a bad thing unless they adversely affect your nighttime sleep, i.e., don't take one too close to bedtime.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think it's more important that you get proper rest during your nighttime sleep. Most of the benefits I've read about napping are related to mental alertness. It may be that getting regular naps all the time would improve your body's ability to recover, but I wouldn't be planning a very occassional nap based on the premise that you're going to get huge. Also, you don't only recover while you're asleep, it's a continuous process, but sleep is an important time for recovery.

Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your body really, really hates it if you don't follow a regular sleeping pattern. A lot of stuff goes on when you sleep, and you can't "catch up."

Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aside from the fact that your body repairs/grows while you are awake, quick cat naps aren't really going to make a difference. The major repair/growth/rejuvenation happens during deep REM sleep. It is the most important and restful stage of sleep, and you need to budget yourself (if possible) for a good solid 8-10 hour night's sleep.
    7 foot tall crew checking in

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Noviceplus View Post
    Your body really, really hates it if you don't follow a regular sleeping pattern. A lot of stuff goes on when you sleep, and you can't "catch up."
    This.

Our bodies operate optimally under structure.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Read this thread. Very informative. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6977823&page=1

I've asked the same question quite months ago, and they say that as long as you complete a cycle, you can gain benefit from it, which includes recovery/repairing.
    [Watdo?] - Want (''should'' for you naggers) bulk.

Serving true tea for weight-losers
    Literally die during squat
    Home gym-er
    Inadequate/improper lifting equipment
    Pop music sucker \m/

kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Roidmonster55 View Post
    Aside from the fact that your body repairs/grows while you are awake, quick cat naps aren't really going to make a difference. The major repair/growth/rejuvenation happens during deep REM sleep. It is the most important and restful stage of sleep, and you need to budget yourself (if possible) for a good solid 8-10 hour night's sleep.
    Exactly this!!!!, if you can get into REM sleep that's where the magic happens!!!!!! So many hormonal responses go on during REM sleep. For some people getting into REM sleep is difficult. I knew many guys that used "liquid G" or GHB to put them into deep sleep quickly so they could benefit from the most deep sleep they could. Eating correctly also plays a big part in muscle growth and repair. Yes protein is great for muscle repair but just as important is what I like to call " THE BIG THREE" Leucine, ISO Leucine, and Valine, not only do they help your body repair muscle tissue, they also provide anti catabolic characteristics to prevent muscle loss. But in general....Sleep is gooooood!!!!

kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingpharaoh260 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ManVsIron View Post
    I can take a 45 minute nap before my workout (just after I've carbed up), and have REM sleep during that nap. Yes, dreams and everything. Feels exactly like waking up in the morning (groggy, etc.)... even though it was just 45 minutes.

I think when you're training really hard, the body is more ready, willing and able to sleep whenever it gets the chance.
    I have a very easy time getting into sleep like that too, I guess we are some of the lucky ones. I knew two pro bodybuilders and an NPC competitor who had difficulty sleeping so they always took the liquid g.

BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000) BigGameJames is just really nice. (+1000)
    Muscles also grow during the day.

The CNS though recovers during sleep.

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm sleepy. :/
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew

boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't usually take daytime naps, but now that I am jobless and stay late at night I feel really tired after workouts so I take a nap.

Will have to organize my sleep though.

“How could they see anything but the shadows if they were never allowed to move their heads?” - Plato

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

Registered User MuscleBeach9999's Avatar
    MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleBeach9999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If i took a 2hour nap at around noon time, then i wouldn't be able to go to sleep till about 3-4a.m in the morning, so i don't have naps at all, really screws with my sleep.

Marrujorage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hate to derail or anything on the topic, but speaking of sleep I'm wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

Whenever I lay down to sleep, I almost ALWAYS have very agitated legs. As if it were restless and needs to be elevated to let some of the blood away from my legs. I've tried things like Melatonin and gotten no results.
    I workout my legs twice a week and do plenty of cardio, so I'm not really sure what is going on.

Originally Posted by Marrujorage View Post
    I hate to derail or anything on the topic, but speaking of sleep I'm wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

Whenever I lay down to sleep, I almost ALWAYS have very agitated legs. As if it were restless and needs to be elevated to let some of the blood away from my legs. I've tried things like Melatonin and gotten no results.
    I workout my legs twice a week and do plenty of cardio, so I'm not really sure what is going on.
    Maybe its psychological. When I have something to do the next day, I cant sleep thinking about the next day, I wake up like 8 times to pee.

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Marrujorage View Post
    Could be this
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...fter-exercise/