Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Benching, Shoulder press, fully extend?

Now I'm asking this because when I watch videos of the pro's they seem to do fairly small and explosive reps. They never really fully extend and obviously these guys are working to look good.

My shoulder has been playing up lately and I'm only 22 so I think maybe doing that and not fully extending on Incline, Bench, DB shoulder press and Military press may help? Any suggestions?

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Some advanced trainees do certain exercises with shorter range of motion to focus on specific muscles (e.g. if you don't bench press until lockout you will use less triceps during the movement), because their current training program calls for explosive shorter reps or in general because that is what currently works best for them.

You won't protect your shoulders if you don't lockout during shoulder presses or bench press variations. The reason for your shoulder problems is most likely that you don't bench with your chest up and and your shoulder blades together.

Here is an article about bench press technique: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-...lder-injuries/

gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If I lock out too much especially on bench my elbows will be killing me the next day... so I hardly lockout on any exercise unless its needed to complete my set.
    Not locking out allows you to keep tension on the muscles promoting more growth rather than locking out and having the stress go from muscles to more on your joints
    also I find it easier to keep momentum and rhythm in exercises when you don't allow time to lockout but im not saying do partials I go till im just shy of a lockout.
    You will see a lot of people hyperextend especially on bench press when they push it up real fast, lock out and u can just see the weight come down on all joints, it may
    work for a little while but eventually their elbows will be screaming the next day.

EDIT: On one of your off days do some shoulder health work: Rotator cuffs, check out an exercise called shoulder box it helped relieve my shoulder pain and also
    you can try just deadhanging in a extended chinup/pullup position to help stretch out your wrists,elbows and shoulders. Sometimes where you feel pain doesnt mean
    that spot is causing that pain but a muscle that works with it for example forearm pain could come from wrists or elbows.
    Last edited by gymcandykid; 08-25-2011 at 06:16 AM.
    Don't pray for lighter burdens but for stronger bodies.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if you goal is aesthetics then no, you don't have to lock out and your ROM should be dictated by your own personal experience based on what works best.

Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ripebear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think my form is OK. I am starting to think It's going too heavy on Weighted dips. You know when you finish a set you get a sort of pain across your shoulders when you go really heavy? I just felt that dipping out of the bath lol

Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i never lock out at the top of a press because you would then lose tension. sometimes i'll pause at the bottom of a rep (barbell bench press, military press) but never fully extended at the top.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As mentioned before, if you're chasing development/hypertrophy, I wouldn't lock out. When I stopped doing it on certain muscles (pecs, shoulders, legs), the development came much faster.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.