Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oceanbreezeez is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Elbow pain during barbell bicep curl

Hey everyone,

Just started working out, I'm currently in my second week. Did my research before starting so I haven't had too many issues so far. However, I definitely think I should ask about this before going much longer. Definitely want to prevent injury.

I'm following All Pro's Beginner Routine so if possible I really would not like to have to change the weight or reps (dunno if there are any other solutions, that's why I'm here though!)

When I do barbell bicep curls, I experience some pain in the region of my left elbow. This mostly occurs when I start exerting myself with the exercise (sometimes end of first set, usually middle to end of second set). It's not an unbearable pain but it is undeniably there and I don't want to hurt myself. I don't think I'm using too much weight because I calculated my 10RM to be 32lb and I'm currently curling 30lb for 2 sets of 9. I've also double and triple checked my form and I don't think that's the problem either. One thing I have determined is that by simply lowering the bar about 1 inch less than proper form dictates I should (i.e. lowering it to about waist-level instead of just below waist-level) I can mitigate or even remove the pain, but I don't know whether that's just because the exercise is less exerting when I'm not quite doing the full range of motion or what and I don't want to stray from proper form anyway.

What's this all about?

SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I neevr did have elbow pain until i started doing curls with the barbell, now I have it right under the bottom side of it... Some people say its not good to do straight barbell curls espically if you go heavy on them.. I went back to preacher curls.. I also had trouble with skull crushers in my elbows so they may just be getting worn somewhat.. I would warm up with a few sets before going heavy on them or switch it over to the preacer bar for a few weeks and see if the pain goes away... hope you get it lined out man

mpercia52 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mpercia52 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Oceanbreezeez View Post
    Hey everyone,

Just started working out, I'm currently in my second week. Did my research before starting so I haven't had too many issues so far. However, I definitely think I should ask about this before going much longer. Definitely want to prevent injury.

I'm following All Pro's Beginner Routine so if possible I really would not like to have to change the weight or reps (dunno if there are any other solutions, that's why I'm here though!)

When I do barbell bicep curls, I experience some pain in the region of my left elbow. This mostly occurs when I start exerting myself with the exercise (sometimes end of first set, usually middle to end of second set). It's not an unbearable pain but it is undeniably there and I don't want to hurt myself. I don't think I'm using too much weight because I calculated my 10RM to be 32lb and I'm currently curling 30lb for 2 sets of 9. I've also double and triple checked my form and I don't think that's the problem either. One thing I have determined is that by simply lowering the bar about 1 inch less than proper form dictates I should (i.e. lowering it to about waist-level instead of just below waist-level) I can mitigate or even remove the pain, but I don't know whether that's just because the exercise is less exerting when I'm not quite doing the full range of motion or what and I don't want to stray from proper form anyway.

What's this all about?
    Pain in your elbow during heavy barbell curls can and most likely is a result of week flexor/extensor muscles in the wrist or bad hand positioning on the barbell. Some people just can't do barbell curls. I would suggest doing curls with an EZ bar (the curvy ones) that puts your wrist in a better position. Do a couple of more warmup sets too with lighter weight. Work on doing wrist curls too to strengthen those muscles. slowly work your way to barbell curls with lighter weights.
    Matt

B.S. Exercise Science...ACSM HFS
    Live with a FitBody

http://www.********.com/FitBodyHype

DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

I started lifting again two months ago. Left elbow pain came quick with dumbbell curls. My form sucked outright. Once I eliminated the rotational aspect all was well. It all but disappeared once I began my bicep workout with 25 reps on the preacher. Then I do 5 sets of 7 on the preacher with an ez-bar. Standing db sets and seated concentration curls finish me off. I want to add some pullups in the future.

Good luck.
    I may look like Santa Claus.....but I'm feeling like Elvis...........

hallowedbename has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
    I started lifting again two months ago. Left elbow pain came quick with dumbbell curls. My form sucked outright. Once I eliminated the rotational aspect all was well. It all but disappeared once I began my bicep workout with 25 reps on the preacher. Then I do 5 sets of 7 on the preacher with an ez-bar. Standing db sets and seated concentration curls finish me off. I want to add some pullups in the future.

Good luck.
    Don't fully extend your arm when you go down on the curls. Otherwise I think there is too much pressure on the elbow joint.