Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    big day tomorrow....Jeff, Brad, and Alberto are doing the IFPA International in Kansas City, Cheryl is making her WNBF pro debut at the Universe in Manhattan, Brett and Eric are at the same show doing the Naturalmania, super pro qual for the INBF....gonna be siiiick

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For those who want to see what I'll be doing for the next 24 weeks

I've attached an excel spreadsheet with 6 waves of the program I'm doing, it is actually usable by anybody you can enter your one rep maxes into the yellow fields on the first week, and you can also change the percentages for the back off work, the rest is just direct entry

6 waves 531 bodybuilding offseason plan.xls

So as you can see, I have my next 24 weeks planned out....now....as Dan John would say "The goal is to keep the goal the goal."
    Last edited by Quelly; 09-16-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Day 26: September 16 2011

Intro

Weight staying steady at 180, and I'm still pretty dang lean and looking fuller so that's good. 60/300/250 is good numbers for me right now too, probably going to refeed either sat or sun on 70/450/250 or there abouts, with some wiggle room so I can have a meal out with my wife.
    Normally I don't train today, but I'm starting the new plan as listed above next week and sunday I normally do the shoulders and arms workout, so I got in some shoulders and arms and lat work today, left out the dumbbell pressing since I'm benching tomorrow and just did the lateral raise work with cables. I've REALLY gotten good at feeling my lower lats, its AMAZING. Single arm cable lat pulldowns with starting in a neutral grip and slight internal rotation into a suppinated grip at the bottom, allowing my rib cage and shoulder complex to come up but keeping the arm from fully extending and finishing with some lateral spinal flexion is the best way I can describe the motion. Looks A LOT like what blade (borge ***erli) was doing in the lat pulldown vid posted a couple pages back, just single arm and a bit different.
    Its funny, my mindset has shifted with regards to all those IFBB pros you see doing partials and unique movements on cables and machines, I used to think "dumbasses can get away with that only because drugs make pump routines more effective" but although there is truth in that statement, those guys also have tremendously good body awareness and are masters of weak point training. So I am humbled, I've revamped my opinion in that regard and I have more respect there. That being said, getting a "good mmc", isolating a muscle and pumping it up and "feeling it work" is probably what 20% of your training should amount to. The rest should be barbell and dumbbell heavy lifting in the 3-8 rep range focusing on strict form and progressive overload in the main compound lifts....then as needed and once you've built a foundation you can focus on the finer details.
    Can't believe tomorrow is the big day for my boys I HATE that I can't be there, Jeff, Brad and Berto all in the same class on an IFPA pro stage is so awesome! Also our sponsored athlete, WNBF Pro Bodybuilder Cheryl Glattacker is making her pro debut in NY, and Brett and Eric are doing the Naturalmania in the amateur portion....gonna be a great weekend for the 3DMJ fam. I'm holding down the fort, doing quadruple duty on emails, phone calls, site maintenance and etc. not being the guy dieting, and now taking less intensive courses in my MS program, its no sweat! Exciting times!

Nutrition

60/300/250

Training

A1 Cable Curls
    57.5 x 12
    50 x 12
    42.5 x 13
    35 x 15

A2 Cable Tricep Extensions (overhead)
    65 x 15
    57.5 x 12
    50 x 12
    42.5 x 15

B1 Cable Lateral Raises
    15 x 15, 13, 12, 10

A3/B2 Daily Lat Quota: 48 reps (8 sets of 6) Did my sets interspersed in my workout

Debrief

Bring it home boys!

http://www.microgiving.com/profile/erichelms

foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodpr0n is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Blade talks about shifting to partial ROM here;
    Tips and thoughts on training by Borge

I'll post it for everyone to see.
    Originally Posted by blade from the article
    Keep tension on the muscle! You may have heard of the occlusion effect or Kaatsu? There are studies showing that by closing the flow of blood artificially with a blood pressure cuff, then the light weights as low as 10-30% of your 1 rep max, cause muscle growth that is higher than with heavy weights. Even in advanced lifters you can see very impressive muscle growth in just 1-2 weeks. Before you go to purchase a blood pressure cuff that you are buzzing around your neck for maximum brain growth so that you will be as smart as me ... I can tell you how to mimic this effect without aids.

You've probably learned that you should train the entire range of motion of a muscle for the best training effect. Well, this is a truth with modifications, the reality is that you should train in the muscle most EFFECTIVE motion. This means that you must exercise when muscle is almost uttøyd without over pulling it, and you must stop the movement before locking the joint completely. In the top position to muscle partially relax and be given oxygen, and you lose the aforementioned okklusjonseffekten. To achieve this you should thus not stretch my legs out on the squat or leg press, or stretch your arms out on rowing, pulldowns, biceps curls, bench presses, shoulder presses and tricep extensions. Stop when there is still a bend in the knees or elbows. Depending on your structure can also be an advantage to not stretch the muscle too much, as I mentioned earlier the bench - it will for many be more beneficial to stop when the rod is a few inches above your chest as a Floor Press.

I can also recommend holding the contraction for a brief moment of exercises biceps curl, lat pull and rowing - that squeeze the muscle hard, but it is not necessary to pull the rod down to the chin on the pull down or up to the belly of rowing or lifting the bar higher than about the upper abdomen on the biceps curl. You need to NOK using lighter weights at first, but a shorter movement will make you eventually manage to lift heavier. It is not necessary to let the weight dictated by how much you are able to draw down to the muscle most contracted position (which is the weakest position). Another example is sidehev the shoulders. Try using heavier weights, lift your arms until they are only 45 degrees out from the body - just before the point where most lifts your shoulders up to ears and make it a trapezius exercise - and lower down until your arms are 10cm from the body (ie not all the way down). Run 10-15 explosive reps in this manner, preferably with a stop at the top and bottom of each rep. How does the muscle now?

Many screams safe high protests of "cheating" already, but the point here is said to work out the muscle - not to get a scenic and aesthetic movement which is completed entirely in both flexion and extension. This is not natural for your body either, if you are thinking about. If we are to lift and hold something has elbow joint around 30-90 degrees, there is no one who first reaches his arm out and then lift your shopping bags to the chin. If you compete in powerlifting, where there are requirements for the execution to be approved lifting the situation is of course an entirely different, but it does not prevent you from using this card reps variant that support practice. You're at the gym to become stronger, not just to show others your ego or how strong you are now.

It will thus look more like short repetitions (so-called 'partial reps') where one cuts of 10-20% on both the top and bottom of the movement. Use an explosive movement that provides high impulse load on the muscle fibers, but often with variations of short, marked the end of the bottom and top to ensure that the muscle is under constant tension. Rest break between series is still recommended to 5-10 deep breaths, corresponding to approximately 10-20 seconds. It should be long NOK break that you can continue, but not so long that they lose their effect. A break up to 20 breaths of the heaviest weights should be fine.
    He then did some videos

Perhaps one for those who don't get chest MMC

You could look into something like for lats too, E

And some others

That one burns like hell!

Then of course the pulldown vid I linked a few pages back.
    There is also the argument that this is much 'nicer' of the joints/tendons.

Sorry for clogging up the log, E

its also a double edged sword, because as borge would tell you, the primary stimulus and requirement for long term muscle fiber growth is progressive tension overload, and with that type of form on ALL movements its difficult to gauge strength progress or whether you're just getting looser form...but it has its place certainly and its proper application

almost at stage weight! Squizzzer's Avatar
    Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Quelly View Post
    So as you can see, I have my next 24 weeks planned out....now....as Dan John would say "The goal is to keep the goal the goal."
    it looks pretty good man...i take back what i said about the volume...that 5x10 at the end with certainly do it...

with the tricep and bicep curl...will you be changing the actual exercises each wave...and same question on the BB days...

and i love that DJ quote...never saw that one

Edit: oh and i'll be interested in seeing whether you still feel the reduction in sets as the intensity goes up is necessary after you get through the first cycle...i'm not sure it would be...
    Last edited by Squizzzer; 09-17-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    NSCA-CPT

Getting THICK!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117797281

ur not ur f*cking khakis bwelch1985's Avatar
    bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For those who want to see what I'll be doing for the next 24 weeks

I've attached an excel spreadsheet with 6 waves of the program I'm doing, it is actually usable by anybody you can enter your one rep maxes into the yellow fields on the first week, and you can also change the percentages for the back off work, the rest is just direct entry

Attachment 3714303

Love that Dan John quote....it applies well to everything in life.

My $.02 -- Too much structure. Too much planning. Not enough fun.

I just think training should be more flexible and based around self-feedback (on a day to day basis) and having fun in the gym. I mean, some days you feel awesome and you just wanna destroy the weights, and other days you just don't have it in there and everything feels like sh*t. Why not just take what you like about 5/3/1 (and sheiko and smolov and DC and max-ot, etc ...) and apply it to your workouts when and how you want to as opposed to locking yourself into a pre-written program that lasts half a year?

I just think having the freedom to do what you want at the gym (what feels best on that given day) is a much better long term approach. It makes every workout exciting and new w/out having the pressure to live up to the expectations of a "plan" on a daily basis...

Alberto and Levis journal from '08....Luke Ehlis' journal....Hola Bolas journal....Doug Millers journal....all great examples of the kind of approach I'm talking about. Have a general outline (upper/lower...push/pull/legs...whatever) and go in there and bust ass every day! Your body will tell you if it's a PR day or a pump workout or a deload day. Jeet Kune Do bodybuilding!

Originally Posted by Squizzzer View Post
    it looks pretty good man...i take back what i said about the volume...that 5x10 at the end with certainly do it...

with the tricep and bicep curl...will you be changing the actual exercises each wave...and same question on the BB days...

and i love that DJ quote...never saw that one

Edit: oh and i'll be interested in seeing whether you still feel the reduction in sets as the intensity goes up is necessary after you get through the first cycle...i'm not sure it would be...
    on the tris and bis, eh, I'll do what I want maybe rotate between 2-3 exercises, I like to keep it fresh and fun and interesting, and yeah with the 50-60%1RM intensity I don't think I'll need to reduce the sets either, notice I kept it 5 in all the weeks...

Originally Posted by bwelch1985 View Post
    Love that Dan John quote....it applies well to everything in life.

My $.02 -- Too much structure. Too much planning. Not enough fun.

I just think training should be more flexible and based around self-feedback (on a day to day basis) and having fun in the gym. I mean, some days you feel awesome and you just wanna destroy the weights, and other days you just don't have it in there and everything feels like sh*t. Why not just take what you like about 5/3/1 (and sheiko and smolov and DC and max-ot, etc ...) and apply it to your workouts when and how you want to as opposed to locking yourself into a pre-written program that lasts half a year?

I just think having the freedom to do what you want at the gym (what feels best on that given day) is a much better long term approach. It makes every workout exciting and new w/out having the pressure to live up to the expectations of a "plan" on a daily basis...

Alberto and Levis journal from '08....Luke Ehlis' journal....Hola Bolas journal....Doug Millers journal....all great examples of the kind of approach I'm talking about. Have a general outline (upper/lower...push/pull/legs...whatever) and go in there and bust ass every day! Your body will tell you if it's a PR day or a pump workout or a deload day. Jeet Kune Do bodybuilding!
    you're assuming i won't have fun doing this and that I won't auto-regulate based on how I feel in the gym and that this is a "pre written program" and that I should instead incorporate parts of other programs and my own needs, thoughts and feelings into a program...well, you do realize that I took the progression from 5/3/1, the frequency of HST, added a day for my weak point training, threw in occlusion, changed the accessory work, and I'm also doing daily pulldown/pull up cycle with a kind of "grease the groove" approach that is an acclimation/intensification set up?
    I mean I guess this is a "pre written program" in the sense that I wrote it before it existed lol

Mainly what I'm getting from this post is that this approach is too much structure for you, and you wouldn't have fun doing it? Check

I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself writing you a program lol

I'm absolutely stoked about this setup, could barely sleep while I was planning it out. I think the most fun I've had was when i ran westside for 12 weeks and I had my progressions lined up for the whole 3 month period in advance, I knew what PR I was going to hit months prior, the part that made it fun was that I hit those PRS!

Going in with too little structure and just winging it makes me feel like I'm not making progress and I lose motivation. OR I just go in there and grind myself into the dirt...if I don't have an objective....or better yet an objective measure of progress, I just take the "more is better" approach "just in case" to make sure I'm progressing....which in my head means every set to failure, nearly throw up on leg day every single time.

So sure, if I wrote this program hating the idea of it and thinking of it as a chore instead of feeling like every day in the gym was disneyland, and if I was a robot who would do exactly what a piece of paper said even if I felt like my leg was going to fall off, or if my name was Brett Welch, I would agree with you 100%.

But in actuality I love the idea of this program, I can't WAIT to start it next week, I happen to not be a robot or an excel slave, and my name is Eric Helms.

Dere is NO offseason DREhova 87's Avatar
    DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "must spread reputation around before giving it to Quelly again" I'm the same way. Love me some structure. I'm a little too OCD in the fact that my joy comes out of having something written and executed with a plan in mind. I'm not good at winging things for the same reason.
    -100lbs Club

www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.com
    Natural Bodybuilding's Dream Team

bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    wow, my post got you so fired up you forgot my name! haha

for real though, i see exactly what you're saying. i made the post in YOUR journal, expressing MY feelings on the program, and applying them to YOU yeh...i'm an idiot! LOL sometimes i forget the whole "different strokes for different folks" saying.

i love that excitement for training that you described and i'm looking forward to following along once you start this thing up

Ph.D Science of Brosophy impakt1's Avatar
    impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impakt1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your excitement got me all excited ;D
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com

http://www.twitter.com/crsholic

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/chrisaydin

Prep log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142111921

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My feelings exactly E. I NEED structure or I just "go by feel" and either beat the living crap out of myself and not recover well, or not hit the proper numbers. I'm only starting week 3 of Sheiko, but I love how everything is planned out for you.... with a little lee-way of course.

To each their own!
    PL: 400/280/475

Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    God, this log is full of win.

wow, my post got you so fired up you forgot my name! haha

for real though, i see exactly what you're saying. i made the post in YOUR journal, expressing MY feelings on the program, and applying them to YOU yeh...i'm an idiot! LOL sometimes i forget the whole "different strokes for different folks" saying.

i love that excitement for training that you described and i'm looking forward to following along once you start this thing up
    my bad Britt, I was actually texting Brett when I wrote that post...multi tasking FTL

and dude its all good...for all I know it'll end up boring me to **** and I'll change it up...hell I was planning on doing UD2 for a little longer than 3 weeks lol

Originally Posted by DREhova 87 View Post
    "must spread reputation around before giving it to Quelly again" I'm the same way. Love me some structure. I'm a little too OCD in the fact that my joy comes out of having something written and executed with a plan in mind. I'm not good at winging things for the same reason.
    Originally Posted by impakt1 View Post
    your excitement got me all excited ;D
    Originally Posted by coloBB View Post
    My feelings exactly E. I NEED structure or I just "go by feel" and either beat the living crap out of myself and not recover well, or not hit the proper numbers. I'm only starting week 3 of Sheiko, but I love how everything is planned out for you.... with a little lee-way of course.

To each their own!
    Originally Posted by Lathareo82 View Post
    God, this log is full of win.
    best lesson I've learned being a trainer in one way or another for the past 10 years: the worst trainers try to train everyone the way they train themselves. Proximity bias is the sure fire way to only have success with clients who are like you...which is the minority.

There is a truism in the medical world which I think Lyle brought up, and it applies to all walks of life: If you have a medical problem, go to a surgeon, a physical therapist, and a pharmacist. For the same problem, one will tell you to get surgery, one will tell you to do a rehab program and one will suggest a drug. They are all correct and incorrect at the same time.

What's the saying? "A man with only a hammer sees the world's problems all as nails" or something like that lol

devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok, since you're talking about 'feeling the lats' right now. Venture over to my thread when you get a second. The video I just posted of the gripless rows, my lats felt unreal. It's not what I normally do, with regards to 'feeling mm' and what not. But certain times call for certain things. When you can't grab a bar, you have to figure it out. Anyway, with all that aside, I felt like every fiber in my lats was getting fired up. Give it a shot.
    CAN and WILL
    100% Natural Bodybuilding
    www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.COM
    www.biolayne.com

Day 27: September 17 2011

Intro

So yeah I'm a solid 180...kinda cool kinda not. Still purty lean, this 180 looks better on the way up than the 180 I was on the way down, so lean body mass regain and glycogen upregulation FTW. BUT, it also means I'll have to fux with my water and maybe diet for a week if I want to do a meet in the 181's. Boo. Taking my high day today, so that's nice. Also decided against doing ANY squats today. Really want my quad to be 100%. Stuck to speed work on deads, did my lat work, and did some hypertrophy work on bench. Also the boys are out in KC getting their pro on!

Nutrition

60-70/400-450/250-300

Training

(warm ups excluded)

Deads (Speed)
    255 x 3 (12 sets)

Bench Press
    225 x 6
    205 x 8
    185 x 10

Daily Lat Quota: 48 reps (8 sets of 6) Did my sets interspersed in my workout after other exercises

Debrief

wish I was a little less excited about eating today lol...trying to eat to live and not live to eat is tough when I'm lean...just gotta remind myself its normal after 8 months of dieting and I'm only 5 weeks into my offseason

Originally Posted by devinh View Post
    Ok, since you're talking about 'feeling the lats' right now. Venture over to my thread when you get a second. The video I just posted of the gripless rows, my lats felt unreal. It's not what I normally do, with regards to 'feeling mm' and what not. But certain times call for certain things. When you can't grab a bar, you have to figure it out. Anyway, with all that aside, I felt like every fiber in my lats was getting fired up. Give it a shot.
    thats funny me and my coworker were just talking about how we need to set something like that up for me lol, nice! I'm thinking maybe attaching the hanging leg raise sleeves to the cable machine....hmmmm

devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000)
    thats funny me and my coworker were just talking about how we need to set something like that up for me lol, nice! I'm thinking maybe attaching the hanging leg raise sleeves to the cable machine....hmmmm
    Funny you mention that. The bands were in improv last night, as usually for a gripless back exercise I will put those sleeves on the handles of the high row hammer strength machine. The sleeves were nowhere to be found last night though. The cable machine could work well also I think. On my last set of those, I bent over and made it more of a 'moto row/pulldown' motion. With the cables you could do one arm at a time and lean over with the other arm as a brace against the machine. Moto row style with the sleeve on the cables too. Can't wait to see what variations you come up with. If I find ours, I'll be figuring out some new configurations as well.

Oh yeah, with the high row HS, the motion mimics the negative of a bench. Helps beginner benchers get the feel of activating the lats on that portion of a press. A little FYI coach
    CAN and WILL
    100% Natural Bodybuilding
    www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.COM
    www.biolayne.com

my bad Britt, I was actually texting Brett when I wrote that post...multi tasking FTL

and dude its all good...for all I know it'll end up boring me to **** and I'll change it up...hell I was planning on doing UD2 for a little longer than 3 weeks lol
    no worries Erik!

just watch...in a couple weeks you'll be free-wheeling in the gym and I'll be running smolov or something. i admit, the novelty of starting a new program is incredibly alluring! i'm constantly on the hunt for the next big thing that'll turn me into Doug Miller.

and regardless of how long you stick w/ this routine...the goal is to BUILD MUSCLE and that will still be the goal!

Originally Posted by devinh View Post
    Funny you mention that. The bands were in improv last night, as usually for a gripless back exercise I will put those sleeves on the handles of the high row hammer strength machine. The sleeves were nowhere to be found last night though. The cable machine could work well also I think. On my last set of those, I bent over and made it more of a 'moto row/pulldown' motion. With the cables you could do one arm at a time and lean over with the other arm as a brace against the machine. Moto row style with the sleeve on the cables too. Can't wait to see what variations you come up with. If I find ours, I'll be figuring out some new configurations as well.

Oh yeah, with the high row HS, the motion mimics the negative of a bench. Helps beginner benchers get the feel of activating the lats on that portion of a press. A little FYI coach
    no worries Erik!

just watch...in a couple weeks you'll be free-wheeling in the gym and I'll be running smolov or something. i admit, the novelty of starting a new program is incredibly alluring! i'm constantly on the hunt for the next big thing that'll turn me into Doug Miller.

and regardless of how long you stick w/ this routine...the goal is to BUILD MUSCLE and that will still be the goal!
    You're probably right Brad () part of my overly energetic response was I spent like a 3 day period "in the lab" concocting and building that program like it was "THE program" (which of course doesn't exist) and I was really proud of my baby creation lol

But yeah...as long as we get jacked who gives da fux

and Devin, I'm going to have to record me doing the lat pulldown dealio that hammers my lower lats

Day 28: September 18 2011

Intro

Weight jumped a solid 4lbs after the refeed yesterday, hopefully none of that sticks, well no more than a fifth of a pound or so. Gaining weight faster than I want at this point, but ah well, I can't keep myself on starvation macros to try to limit fat gain, just means I'm too far under my set point if that's the case. So I'm sticking to the plan, and although I'm gaining weight, it really does not by any means appear to be all fat, but definitely a lot of fullness, and some fat.
    Did my first day on the new program today was just the bodybuilder pump up stuff, some occlusion and we barely finished the workout before the gym closed, in fact I did my last two sets of occluded calf raises with bodyweight single leg outside on the curb...which BTW is all you need occluded lol. Then we went out to eat, worked it into my macros, I've been loving our 1 meal out/week date night

Nutrition

60/300/250

Training

(warm ups excluded)

DB Shrugs
    105's x 15 (3 sets)

Cable Rows
    120 x 15 (2 sets)

Ab Machine
    90 x 15 (3 sets)

Occluded Bicep Curls 3 sets
    Occluded Leg Extensions 3 sets
    Occluded Leg Curls 3 sets
    Occluded Calf Raises 3 sets

Daily Lat Quota: 35 reps (5 sets of 7) Did my sets interspersed in my workout after other exercises

Debrief

Military press day tomorrow, and I started the second phase of my daily lat training

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The last page of this thread has been very enlightening. I'm looking forward to trying some of these new techniques soon!
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    The last page of this thread has been very enlightening. I'm looking forward to trying some of these new techniques soon!
    this...

i need some more lat width, so this has def been useful
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243

toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    for the lat 'pulldown' what if you used a D handle and looped a small resistance band through it. Then the opposite ends loop your hand through. Maybe wear a wrist wrap/band so the rubber doesn't burn (that's what she said). That way no matter what gym you're at on that particular day as long as you have your resistance band you're good to go.

p.s. new set up looks like the bees knees
    www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.COM

My sport is your sports punishment

Tricks are something whores do for money...or candy.

Team BK

Training journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=148831101

Originally Posted by toddbz View Post
    for the lat 'pulldown' what if you used a D handle and looped a small resistance band through it. Then the opposite ends loop your hand through. Maybe wear a wrist wrap/band so the rubber doesn't burn (that's what she said). That way no matter what gym you're at on that particular day as long as you have your resistance band you're good to go.

p.s. new set up looks like the bees knees
    I only work out at one gym, and to be honest I can get my latts going on all kinds of **** now that I found them I don't think I have to do anything too esoteric and I'm getting better each workout...to be honest...I really think I'm going to have some slabs of beef hanging off my spine in a couple years, it gets me really excited

and yeah the split is awesome, doing my military press workout today, STOKED

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the tip on the ankle flexibility E, I foamed rolled and stretched the bloody hell out of them. Worked like a charm no hip flexor pain, and was able to squat into "the hole".

Since my heels were never comming up off the ground during squats I didn't think that could have been the problem.... but there ya go
    PL: 400/280/475

Originally Posted by coloBB View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the ankle flexibility E, I foamed rolled and stretched the bloody hell out of them. Worked like a charm no hip flexor pain, and was able to squat into "the hole".

Since my heels were never comming up off the ground during squats I didn't think that could have been the problem.... but there ya go
    if your heels came off the ground you wouldn't have your back round over lol, problem is because you KNOW your heels aren't supposed to come up the compensation moved to the hips, I'm guessing lateral gastroc was pretty durn tight?

Day 29: September 19 2011

Intro

Dropped 2 of 4 lbs from the refeed and I'll likely drop some more, 2nd day on the new program, did the first military press workout and it was a lot of fun!
    Also talked to my adviser via Skype in New Zealand and I'm getting rolling on the lit review, in fact we think we can get pretty much everything done before I even get there except the actual experiment for the thesis, he can handle the ethics (that's nice lol) I'll be doing the lit review, and then my other advisor who is a sports nutritionist is still touching base to see what lab equipment we'll have access to so we can figure out the methodology of testing. So far MRI to measure cross sectional area of the calf and upper arm, nitrogen balance, and maybe amino acid oxidation, but we shall see if we can get some other stuff too. But bottom line, good chance I'll be published before I even head out there
    So I'm pretty much in two masters programs simultaneously now lol luckily one is coursework the other is just work and reading research...so in essence its the same as a thesis based masters here in the states.
    Also starting a new module at work, I've been piloting the new curriculum and so far so good, I've taken the students through intro to personal training, medical terminology for the personal trainer, anatomy and physiology, practicums a through c, and now they'll be doing fitness screening and testing, practicum d and ethics and law for the personal trainer. And then the other group I'm teaching will be doing medical terminology and practicum, so teaching mon-thu, office hours and grading on friday, busy next 5 weeks at work, but fun stuff. I learned a lot teaching A&P, really reinforced my graduate work I'm currently doing, funny how I learn best by teaching. I think having my job as a coach and an instructor, while being in school and doing certifications has totally inundated me with this stuff both theoretical and applied, and the reading is constantly being backed up by hands on application and it really sticks! I feel very lucky to be with Bryan/3DMJ/CAL U/AUT all at the same time!

Nutrition

60/300/250

Training

(warm ups excluded)

Standing Military Press
    105 x 5
    120 x 5
    135 x 7
    80 x 10 (5 sets)

Cable Flys
    30/side x 10
    25/side x 10

Seated Overhead DB Tricep Extension
    90 x 10
    85 x 10

Daily Lat Quota: 35 reps (5 sets of 7) Did my sets interspersed in my workout after other exercises

Debrief

workout only took an hour, pretty pleased with the rep out on 135, and the volume work afterwards was harder than I thought it would be, I like!

jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000) jdudeck1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm liking the workout you designed. I think I am going to save it to my comp and try it out during my offseason. I need those lats to get bigger as well, hek I need everything to get bigger lol. Keep up the awesome work bro and I look forward to seeing those slabs of meat!