zasmith92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cannot do squats because of Hernia. Need advice

Hello, so Ive started weightlifting fairly recently and am still a novice..all my knowledge and my program is taken from Mark Rippetoe's books (Starting Strength and Practical Programming). That being said I have a torn muscle and hernia and therefore cannot do squats and especially not the deep squat. I am bummed because I realize how important and vital the squat is. I am wondering if there is any insight to exercises I can do that may supplement...obviously no single exercise will be sufficient, so a combination. My hernia w/ muscle tear is aggravated by any sort of squat motion and huge pressure put on my core. Thanks!

Registered User Proposturalized's Avatar
    Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Proposturalized is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Have surgery to repair said hernia and wait a few weeks for it to heal. You'll be much better off getting it repaired than going half ass in the gym in fear of further tearing it.
    "Maybe strong is just what you have left when you've used up all your weak."

zasmith92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Proposturalized View Post
    Have surgery to repair said hernia and wait a few weeks for it to heal. You'll be much better off getting it repaired than going half ass in the gym in fear of further tearing it.
    Unfortunately I can't have it repaired until december break because of college.

lift heavy & take a multi hotspur's Avatar
    hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unfortunately, any exercise that creates a valsalva maneuver is at least at risk for making the hernia worse. In of itself, a hernia isn't bad until it becomes strangulated. Leg presses, leg extensions, and hamstring curls are probably you're best bet (since I'm assuming a doctor told you not to squat). In all lifts you do, make sure you are exhaling during the contraction phase, and this will lower your abdominal pressure (thus decreasing you risk of worsening the hernia). You're best bet is to fix it asap.
    Last edited by hotspur; 08-19-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    I do because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agree with others, if you have a hernia you shouldn't be lifting at all. Get that **** taken care of before you do any lifting.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodFireDeath has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
    Unfortunately, any exercise that creates a valsalva maneuver is at least at risk for making the hernia worse. In of itself, a hernia isn't bad until it becomes strangulated. Leg presses, leg extensions, and hamstring curls are probably you're best bet (since I'm assuming a doctor told you not to squat). In all lifts you do, make sure you are exhaling during the contraction phase, and this will lower your abdominal pressure (thus decreasing you risk of worsening the hernia). You're best bet is to fix it asap.
    This. Also look into hernia belts for the time being, and core strengthening exercises.Try to avoid constipation. A solid belt should get you on your way, wrap it tight and the hernia wont even come out.
    BTW what sort of hernia is it? Direct/indirect?

aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah man definitely get it repaired then talk to a doctor about dos and donts before lifting again.
    Exercise Physiologist
    M.S. - Exercise and Sport Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland

*Note: I am in no way, shape, or form suggested for anyone to do anything. Anything I post is purely based off of my own personal experience and opinions. If you decide to follow or do anything I say, that is of your own free will and not my suggestion.*