Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Exatly. Only lifts I do 5x5 are squats, deads, bench, and rows
    Originally Posted by Ashlei View Post
    Too much volume. Too much.

^Completely agree. Too much volume! Just because there's an exercise out there for a muscle doesn't mean you have to do it to get results. All that volume will probably end up hindering progress in the long run. 35 sets over 11 exercises.....

Going 5x5 or 4x5 on 1-2 exercises per day will wear you out and that's not even the end because you've still got supplemental lifts.

If you want more volume, go for something like PHAT.
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    What about the leg day volume? Was that OK?
    Too repetitious. Ultimately it's your decision what training you're going to do but I'm just giving my .02.

Try Erick's plan for a week - go heavy. Like those last few reps on the last couple of sets are a struggle (not failure though), and see what you think before you tweak it around and throw a bunch of extra exercises in.

You want to push your limits without overdoing. More time in the gym does not necessarily mean your routine will give you better results.

For example on my squat day, I do squats (3 sets according to the GST protocol for the week), last set I'm struggling and I take long rest breaks between sets. Then I do leg press, 3 sets, heavy. By the time I get to lunges I'm pretty wiped already so it's a struggle, and that's just 3 exercises. Sometimes I'll throw in decline crunches, but that's it. I've increased my squat and my leg press with this.

All my other compounds are going up (which is my main focus, though I always try to increase my supplemental lifts too), and I will do a max of 5 exercises, and even that's a lot. Usually 3-4 is the sweet spot and it takes about an hour.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Too repetitious. Ultimately it's your decision what training you're going to do but I'm just giving my .02.

Try Erick's plan for a week - go heavy. Like those last few reps on the last couple of sets are a struggle (not failure though), and see what you think before you tweak it around and throw a bunch of extra exercises in.

You want to push your limits without overdoing. More time in the gym does not necessarily mean your routine will give you better results.

For example on my squat day, I do squats (3 sets according to the GST protocol for the week), last set I'm struggling and I take long rest breaks between sets. Then I do leg press, 3 sets, heavy. By the time I get to lunges I'm pretty wiped already so it's a struggle, and that's just 3 exercises. Sometimes I'll throw in decline crunches, but that's it. I've increased my squat and my leg press with this.

All my other compounds are going up (which is my main focus, though I always try to increase my supplemental lifts too), and I will do a max of 5 exercises, and even that's a lot. Usually 3-4 is the sweet spot and it takes about an hour.
    Thanks for all the input. I'll read about the GST for sure.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As soon as I read about it I knew I'd love it because you're progressing and changing the rep ranges every week, plus you get to pick exercises from a list to work on what you like and what needs to be worked on, as I said earlier. Don't see myself switching from it anytime soon.

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here's an oddly veiny ARM shot during a leg day:

The forearm pump is from loading the 45's onto the leg press machine. Not an oddity at all

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chickeneater View Post
    The forearm pump is from loading the 45's onto the leg press machine. Not an oddity at all
    And what if I only used 10's? Hehe
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    Fixed this for you:

Monday - Upper Pull

Deadlift 5x5
    Chin-Ups or Lat Pull Down 5x5
    Rows (Close or Wide) 4x5
    Bicep Curls (Any Non-Machine) 3x6-8
    Weighted Ab Movement (any) 4x10
    Leg-Raises 3x10-12

Tuesday - Lower - Quad Emphasis

Squat 5x5
    Leg Press 4x5
    Quad Extension 4x6-8
    Calf Movement (Any) 4x10-12

Thursday - Upper Push

Incline Chest Press 5x5
    Flat Chest Press 4x5
    Upright Rows 3x6-8
    Dips/Weighted Dips 3x6-8
    Weighted Ab Movement (any) 4x10
    Leg-Raises 3x10-12

Friday -Lower - Ham + Glute Emphasis

SLDL 5x6-8
    Pull-Throughs 5 x 8
    Hamstring Curl (any) 5x6-8
    Calf Movement (Any) 4x10-12
    ^ I really like this routine. Adam, how about you try it for a month, then make adjustments as you see fit? This really is plenty of work for most people, especially relatively new lifters.

I started out on GST and have nothing but good things to say about it. I ended up altering it to suit my style a little more (ditched the mid-weight cycles), but one thing I love about it is that it's a push/pull/squat, that Ryan set it up really nicely so you can select from lifts that you enjoy (the baby got back routine I posted is the same way, btw), and that he has weak point training (which I still do).

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    ^ I really like this routine. Adam, how about you try it for a month, then make adjustments as you see fit? This really is plenty of work for most people, especially relatively new lifters.

I started out on GST and have nothing but good things to say about it. I ended up altering it to suit my style a little more (ditched the mid-weight cycles), but one thing I love about it is that it's a push/pull/squat, that Ryan set it up really nicely so you can select from lifts that you enjoy (the baby got back routine I posted is the same way, btw), and that he has weak point training (which I still do).
    ^Yes! This exactly! A month of Erick's routine is probably a better than a week like I'd suggested. I think either of these 3 routines (not-altered: GST, baby got back, or Erick's) would be great, probably the right amount of volume and intensity, and you'd see nice gains.

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^Yes! This exactly! A month of Erick's routine is probably a better than a week like I'd suggested. I think either of these 3 routines (not-altered: GST, baby got back, or Erick's) would be great, probably the right amount of volume and intensity, and you'd see nice gains.
    Baby Got Back is wearing me out. It's gooooood. (traps are killing me today!)

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    And what if I only used 10's? Hehe
    Just keep doin what ure doin, cause you be bein popular w/ da hot ladies on here strong time!

The Goddamn Batman InfinityBeyond's Avatar
    InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InfinityBeyond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Am I the only one who sees that his wrist is slashed?

False alarm. Apparently it's a crease, haha.
    Make A Meal Of It App: http://makeameal.co
    Blog: http://infinityjames.com

Originally Posted by InfinityBeyond View Post
    Am I the only one who sees that his wrist is slashed?

False alarm. Apparently it's a crease, haha.
    LOL, yeah, i does LOOK like that, but seriously it's not.. i'll post progress stuff soon and it'll be more obvious then

Just keep doin what ure doin, cause you be bein popular w/ da hot ladies on here strong time!
    Thx man! I actually got a comment the other day that my arms look slightly bigger, though I don't see it yet

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Vascularity creeping through! Good arm shot. Keep working hard, Adam.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    Vascularity creeping through! Good arm shot. Keep working hard, Adam.
    Thanx Man! It's going great so far - making gains and already breaking some records for recent years.. and i'm not going to lie, the extra food is fun Perhaps a goal for me should be: obtain lower trapezius veins like Manu

So yesterday I went on a little trip to Longbeach (washington), and was out in the water and sand all day, and as a result of the driving, etc, I somehow came out about 200 calories short of my goals. No big deal.. but I plan on making it up today. SO, I have to go grocery shopping, and I also have a bag of Trader Joe's Orange Chicken which I plan on eating (the whole thing) with whatever else is for dinner. I haven't fully set on it yet, but it being a weekend and all I have time to cook up some good suff. Will post some pictures later

Have an awesome sunday all!

GOOOOOOOD MORNING... everyone.

It's Monday, ugh.

No matter though, feeling good although not as well rested as i'd like to be this morning, but i'm sure I'll wake up. Anyway, today is an upper body day, and according to my new split, here is what I'm in for:

Back:
    Deadlifts 5x5
    Lat Pull Downs 5x6-8

Chest:
    Incline BB Press 5x5
    Flat DB Press 3x5

Arms:
    Seated DB Curl 3x5-8
    Dips 3x5-8

Abs:
    Weighted Cable Crunch 5x10-12

I also changed up my diet a bit, so dinner is going to be something like this this week:

6oz Fatty Fish (Most likely Salmon)
    2 Trader Joe's Multigrain Tortillas
    2oz Shredded TJ's Mexican Blend Cheese
    1 Tomtato
    1 Cup Blueberries
    3 Cups Spinach
    Whipped Cream for Blueberries
    Optional: Some popcorn
    Last edited by AdamWW; 08-29-2011 at 09:14 AM.

AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000)
    Looks like a good day. Kill some weights
    BTK - Work. Hustle. Kill.

5/3/1 Winter Bulk - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137721563

PB's
    Bench: 240x5
    Squat: 285x3
    Deadlift: 405x2

Originally Posted by AWD_TURBO View Post
    Looks like a good day. Kill some weights
    I will!

I've been considering doing a modified schedule to: 1/2 of the workout in the morning and 1/2 after work. I like getting something in in the morning, but I never have enough juice for a full workout. Also, AFTER work I tire more easily because the end of the day I naturally get slower (staring at a computer all day will do that).

Thinking something like:

Wake up 5AM
    Fasted Training 6-6:30AM
    Breakfast 7AM
    Lunch at 12PM
    Preworkout Snack at 3:30PM
    Workout 2 at 5-5:45PM
    Dinner at 6:30PM

Right now I always end up eating soo late in the day, which is hard on my stomach.

I will!

I've been considering doing a modified schedule to: 1/2 of the workout in the morning and 1/2 after work. I like getting something in in the morning, but I never have enough juice for a full workout. Also, AFTER work I tire more easily because the end of the day I naturally get slower (staring at a computer all day will do that).

Thinking something like:

Wake up 5AM
    Fasted Training 6-6:30AM
    Breakfast 7AM
    Lunch at 12PM
    Preworkout Snack at 3:30PM
    Workout 2 at 5-5:45PM
    Dinner at 6:30PM

Right now I always end up eating soo late in the day, which is hard on my stomach.
    Is that with the lowered volume too?

Making the salmon you mentioned tonight with the honey and soy sauce

Is that with the lowered volume too?

Making the salmon you mentioned tonight with the honey and soy sauce
    Beware that sometimes certain kinds of soy cause don't add the right kind of flavor and it can be a bit weird. In that case, use honey and lemon luice with pepper on top.. it's kind of trial and error to find the right amount.. I tried with certain brands/ratios and some were not very good at all while others were tastey!

Yeah the twice daily split would be lower volume, too, long rests between sets. I would do something like:

AM Workout - Chest + Bi's

PM Workout - Back + Tri's + Abs

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can I ask why you are so hell bent on not accepting advice? You have a competitive lifter that made a routine for you and you are determined to change it. Really makes no sense to me
    PL Log

BTK!

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Can I ask why you are so hell bent on not accepting advice? You have a competitive lifter that made a routine for you and you are determined to change it. Really makes no sense to me
    There's nothing wrong with tweaking it slightly and choosing moves I like more, etc.. I lowered the volume and included many of the moves suggested..

There's nothing wrong with tweaking it slightly and choosing moves I like more, etc.. I lowered the volume and included many of the moves suggested..
    Breaking it into 2 seperate workouts is not a tweak
    PL Log

BTK!

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Breaking it into 2 seperate workouts is not a tweak
    As long as I get all the same stuff in will it matter?

Beware that sometimes certain kinds of soy cause don't add the right kind of flavor and it can be a bit weird. In that case, use honey and lemon luice with pepper on top.. it's kind of trial and error to find the right amount.. I tried with certain brands/ratios and some were not very good at all while others were tastey!

Yeah the twice daily split would be lower volume, too, long rests between sets. I would do something like:

AM Workout - Chest + Bi's

PM Workout - Back + Tri's + Abs

Hopefully it tastes ok! I did slightly more honey than soy sauce (I use tamari) and didn't use too much of either so we'll see! Lemon juice + herbs de provence is my favorite salmon combo. I kinda want to try some kind of barbecue sauce with it sometime. lol

And I meant with the lowered volume do you think you'll have the energy for the full workout?

Hopefully it tastes ok! I did slightly more honey than soy sauce (I use tamari) and didn't use too much of either so we'll see! Lemon juice + herbs de provence is my favorite salmon combo. I kinda want to try some kind of barbecue sauce with it sometime. lol

And I meant with the lowered volume do you think you'll have the energy for the full workout?
    it's hard to say about the workouts..

I might actuallybite the bullet and do ES's suggestion. After last week doing 5x5's on Bench press and incline press.. my chest was sore for a week. At one point I practically thought I was having a heart attack the soreness was so bad SO maybe that means I just need to tame down the volume on the rest of it so I can give it my all.

it's hard to say about the workouts..

I might actuallybite the bullet and do ES's suggestion. After last week doing 5x5's on Bench press and incline press.. my chest was sore for a week. At one point I practically thought I was having a heart attack the soreness was so bad SO maybe that means I just need to tame down the volume on the rest of it so I can give it my all.
    Yes!!!

Yes!!!
    HAHA!

I basically went with Eric's plan with a couple MINOR changes:

Monday: Upper #1
    Deadlift 5x5
    Lat Pulls 5x5
    Corner Row 4x5
    Skullcrushers 3x6-8
    Cable Crunch (weighted) 4x10-12

Tuesday: Lower - Quad Focus
    Squat 5x5
    Leg Press 5x5
    Quad Extension 4x6-8
    Seated Calf Raise 4x10-12

Wednesday: REST

Thursday: Upper #2
    Incline BB Press 5x5
    Flat DB Press 4x5
    Standing BB Curl 3x6-8
    Upright Row 3x6-8
    Hanging Leg Raise 4x10-12

Friday: Lower - Ham + Glute Focus
    Sumo Leg Press 5x5
    SLDL 5x6-8
    Hamstring Curls (any) 5x6-8
    Straight-Lef Calf Move 4x10-12

Today will also be heavy metal for my workout music.. i was listening to techno for the last few, and need to change it up:

T-minus 1 hour 45 min till the gym.. i'm feeling good.

I'm also going to try and find some older pics when I was chubbier, then some when I was REALLY thin for some comparison.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 08-29-2011 at 03:38 PM.