Thread: Bicep Curls

Merkieman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bicep Curls

Today when I pretty much doubled the weight of my curl bar, it weighed 81 pounds (37kg), I was only able to do about 1 or 2 reps, is that still good or is it bad? I'm 15.

Also, aren't bicep curls much tougher than like benching? I know it might seem obvious, but I'm just wanting to know for sure

I'll admit I didn't do it in perfect form, but it was close

TheFootballKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheFootballKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No you shouldn't do that especially if you couldn't even do 1 or 2 with good form. I don't know what you want to achieve (strength or mass). But do high weight 4-6 reps for strength and 8-12 for muscle mass. And remember form > weight.

ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yes your biceps wont be as strong, or as u said they are harder than you chest because they are a much smaller muscle

orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) orochikid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I look at people with more respect when they're curling a 50 with a nice slow form than someone curling a 80 and looking like they're humping the air. Ego = no go

2 tickets to the gun show Rowbro's Avatar
    Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000)

What kind of thread is this? Seriously? No biceps curls are not tougher than benching, it's an isolation exercise. But benching is overrated anyway... go squat instead, it will make you much stronger. An 81 pound cheat curl isn't an incredible feat of strength either, it's better than some but worse than a lot others. But if you're not a troll, focus on your squat, overhead press, and bent over row (i guess bench too if you want to).

peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by TheFootballKid View Post
    No you shouldn't do that especially if you couldn't even do 1 or 2 with good form. I don't know what you want to achieve (strength or mass). But do high weight 4-6 reps for strength and 8-12 for muscle mass. And remember form > weight.
    Rep ranges 4-6 and 8-12 arent the determining factor for mass and strength.

peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) peekfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ShakeJUNT23 View Post
    yes your biceps wont be as strong, or as u said they are harder than you chest because they are a much smaller muscle
    No benching harder because its a compound, you use more muscles, and the chest is a bigger muscle.

offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offermann515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If your a beginner or anywhere in the intermediate range, you should drop bicep curls all together. There is no way to compare a compound exercise such as the bench press to an isolation like curls. If your doing a half decent FBW the heavy compounds you'll be doing are sufficient for biceps. Throwing in 3 sets of curls never hurts, but adding in 3 variations in the mindset that they will make your arms bigger is bull ****. Try different exercises like chinups, pullups, and bent over rows. They all hit your biceps among other muscles, lats, upper back, forearms; training 4 muscles at once now isn't that efficient! You are moving more weight which is better for overall strength and muscle development, stick to compounds. 9/10 times its better to drop excess isolations. If you want to add another benefit, many people claim that doing multi joint exercises releases more testoserone which promotes more muscle growth, sounds like bro science but there is more to this then psuedo-science.

Originally Posted by Rowbro View Post

What kind of thread is this? Seriously? No biceps curls are not tougher than benching, it's an isolation exercise. But benching is overrated anyway... go squat instead, it will make you much stronger. An 81 pound cheat curl isn't an incredible feat of strength either, it's better than some but worse than a lot others. But if you're not a troll, focus on your squat, overhead press, and bent over row (i guess bench too if you want to).
    If you dont bench press and do all those other exercises you will have a ****ed up posture and have a badly unproportional physique.

Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000) Rowbro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by peekfitness View Post
    If you dont bench press and do all those other exercises you will have a ****ed up posture and have a badly unproportional physique.
    Olympic weightlifters don't bench press because it ruins their flexibility. Same reason I don't bench much. You would not be unproportioned at all, the shoulder press compensates for the pulling of pullups or bent over rows.

Originally Posted by Rowbro View Post
    Olympic weightlifters don't bench press because it ruins their flexibility. Same reason I don't bench much. You would not be unproportioned at all, the shoulder press compensates for the pulling of pullups or bent over rows.
    Also considering the fact that they still do bench moderatly and it will **** up your posture and proportion cause you will have an overdeveloped back and a sunken chest which will look weird and cause problems with posture.

dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50) dwennimenn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    don't try to be one of those dudes with basketball sized biceps and absolutely no pecs... it just looks weird and unproportional and you wouldn't have as much overall strength as you would if you benched (+all the other olympic lifts). And 1-2 reps is just a waste. If you're trying to impress, definitely up the reps and lower the weight. 1-2 reps is not impressive.
    Pain reminds you that you're still alive

Well my chest is pretty strong and defined on its own considering i barely bench... i kinda have good genetics. personally i see a very reduced flexibility when i start benching, maybe i need to stretch more, i don't really know. I just feel like it's a really overrated exercise. I'd say the best measure of a person's strength is their squat.