Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Intimidated by the Forums

Alright, I know I'm not thin, I have a lot of work to do.

However, academically, I feel like I know a lot more about losing fat, gaining muscle etc., than a lot of the people on this site. I am an exercise science and sports medicine student preparing to get my doctorate degree in Physical Therapy. Needless to say, I have a lot of knowledge. Regardless, I find these forums a little intimidating! Though I have a lot of specific experience and education on the subject of transforming someone's body I feel like anything that I say won't be taken seriously because I haven't completed my own transformation journey.

There is so much information on these forums, its a little difficult to sort through what's good and what's complete bullcrap. I still have things to learn despite my educational background, but I feel too intimidated by the brains behind the amazing bodies on this website to ask any questions. *Does any one who has completed their transformation journey have any helpful tips or ideas to make this process I'm starting a bit easier?

Thanks! <3

AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnnieOlson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Moraphiend View Post

However, academically, I feel like I know a lot more about losing fat, gaining muscle etc., than a lot of the people on this site. I am an exercise science and sports medicine student preparing to get my doctorate degree in Physical Therapy. Needless to say, I have a lot of knowledge. Regardless, I find these forums a little intimidating! Though I have a lot of specific experience and education on the subject of transforming someone's body I feel like anything that I say won't be taken seriously because I haven't completed my own transformation journey.

There is so much information on these forums, its a little difficult to sort through what's good and what's complete bullcrap. I still have things to learn despite my educational background, but I feel too intimidated by the brains behind the amazing bodies on this website to ask any questions. *Does any one who has completed their transformation journey have any helpful tips or ideas to make this process I'm starting a bit easier?

Thanks! <3
    The good stuff: If they can back it up with good scientific data
    The bad: If they believe in something because they saw it in a bodybuilding magazine, the bro at the gym told them, etc.

Doesn't matter how you look...if it's based on reliable information, you will be taken seriously here. There is always something new to learn here.
    Cutting from 175lbs to 135lbs, see my journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133641461

"Ordinary people evade facts, become inconsistent, or systematically defend themselves against the threat of new information relevant to issues [about which they have preconceived ideas]." - Cognitive Psychologist Peter Wason, 1981

Come join me: http://www.********.com/TheWellnessChick

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on all your studies. You must be one smart cookie!
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah most wouldn't probably take you seriously. I will take past experience over education anyday
    Nursing Student

>< Manchester United ><
    Fractured arm:Jan 16 2014
    Torn meniscus: April 28 2014

DIDNT ASK LOL

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I will be completely honest, a good portion of this site (and not just the teens) use those height and weight stats to validate someone's advice or input. There is a large assumption that if you haven't walked the walk so to speak (despite the fact that there are a variety of different "walks" per se in the nutrition/fitness world!) then you're not allowed to talk the talk.

These are idiots, however; you can feel free to ignore them.

As AnnieOlson said, if what you say is based on your education and experience, it will be grealty appreciated and taken seriously. Only immature posters (again, not speaking about age directly) would use your stats against you.

Welcome, and good luck with pursuing your doctorate!

(Oh, and stay away from the Misc)

fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm an exercise science student trying to work towards my Masters. There's a lot of bull**** talk and scorn when people post-HOWEVER, I have learned a lot since I joined here.

There's your book knowledge, and your practical knowledge. Go cruise the over 35 forum and read the journals about 55+ year old guys and their journey-read any post by Alan Aragon. Practical knowledge is always useful even if you never actually apply it, and this forum has practical experience in spades. As AnnieOlson said, look for the ones that can back up their posts with scientific data. I think it's great you're stepping out of your comfort zone and joining here. So many women in the exercise science field concentrate on nutrition or medical knowledge, and don't bother to understand bodybuilding. It means you are going to have a step up on the competition in your field.

Welcome!!!!

britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Completley agree with everything already said excluding the young male who obviously took a wrong turn whilst trying to find the misc. Welcome! it's great to know we have another lass who can give some solid advice
    *N.A.S.M CPT*

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing -George Bernard Shaw

Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds - Orison Swett

paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks! <3
    I'm new here too. This site can be intimidating to people from all walks of life. There is a lot of practical knowledge here from people who have been doing this for a while. There is also some good science discussions too. I try to keep an open mind and listen to both sides.

Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Be aware that this degree doesn't mean you know everything about bodybuilding or powerlifting, compound movements or the correct nutrition. Guys like Alan Aragon or Lyle McDonald have (as far as I'm aware) no specific degree but know really really much about the science. Its not the same.

More specific I think I saw you posting about working out in the morning in order to burn more fat. Thats what made me a bit sceptic. Theres a sticky in the teen misc called "Bodybuilding Mythbusters" thats really great and I can also recommend Alan Aragons Research Review and Lyle McDonalds stuff as well as Rippetoe. If you just read the forum without these sources its close to impossible to distinguish between broscience and things that work.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Welcome to the forum Moraphiend!

Here you'll find all sorts of people, from the completely immature to the perfectly reasonable, and the reaction to your posts will be according to the level of maturity of the poster. I suggest you grow a tough skin around here.

As for talking the talk without walking the walk, I am sure there are people who see it that way, and I can't blame them because there's a big difference between reading something in a book and actually trying it on yourself and others. On the other hand, if your posts are sensible and well informed, and you have the science to back them up, I for one am going to be all ears about what you have to say.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Zunehmer View Post
    Be aware that this degree doesn't mean you know everything about bodybuilding or powerlifting, compound movements or the correct nutrition. Guys like Alan Aragon or Lyle McDonald have (as far as I'm aware) no specific degree but know really really much about the science. Its not the same.

More specific I think I saw you posting about working out in the morning in order to burn more fat. Thats what made me a bit sceptic. Theres a sticky in the teen misc called "Bodybuilding Mythbusters" thats really great and I can also recommend Alan Aragons Research Review and Lyle McDonalds stuff as well as Rippetoe. If you just read the forum without these sources its close to impossible to distinguish between broscience and things that work.
    AA has an MS. Lyle attended UCLA to pursue a degree in kinesiology. And Layne (who you didn't mention) has a PhD.

So yes, a lot of the "brains" that you look up to in this field are academics or former academics FYI.

Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10) Moraphiend is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know that there is a ton of information on this website that I can learn from, which is why I am here in the first place. I don't know everything about weight-training and power lifting, but I do have a lot of experience working with college athletes and I have read a lot of scientific studies on fat-oxidation, glycolysis, and my minor is in nutrition.

With that said, there is definitely a place for practical knowledge from experience. I want to learn from people who have been there before... but I also have science backing me up.

I love you ladies, already! <3

Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just be open minded and people will respect you. Science is a field that moves so quickly if you aren't always reading and keeping up, you could be one of those "old farts" that cling to the old methods. xD I think that's what makes medicine and science so interesting to me, it's always changing and there is always something to learn. Picture a student stepping in to a hospital for the first time as a fresh resident. They know everything, but they really know very little, all at the same time. I have a medical degree and am a CPT. There are days I feel like I don't know a thing, while other days I feel like I know it all. lol

On a last note, also keep in mind. Studies can be done so many different ways. Many times we will see two completely different results for the same thing. I believe THIS is where experience, coupled with your degrees can help greatly. Looking at the studies and ruling out which one might not have had a good control group or possibly too many variables etc.

I digress. The internet, no matter where you post, can be brutal. You have to sometimes take things with a grain of salt or let the trolls do their thing and remember not to feed them unless you're in the mood for "fun".
    One party system; Most Republicans are Democrats, but no Democrats are Republicans.
    Hayek and Mises were right; they're all socialists.
    "To Call something fair or unfair is a subjective value judgment and not liable to any verification" Ludwig Von Mises

Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    AA has an MS. Lyle attended UCLA to pursue a degree in kinesiology. And Layne (who you didn't mention) has a PhD.

So yes, a lot of the "brains" that you look up to in this field are academics or former academics FYI.
    Ah you're right, I've mistaken them with the leangains guy and someone else...

tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinyjourney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wanted to stop by and say hello. I am also in Idaho and it is hard to find a lot of women interested in any kind of body work, much less serious weight lifting. Similar to you, I have a hard time balancing the practical knowledge with the book knowledge. I love seeing studies and background science over individual results. I'm following a similar path in education, but I'm going more toward the nutrition side of things. I look forward to reading your posts! I hope people take you seriously and respect your opinion. The experience here could be great for you, there is tons of theory and opinion that makes for interesting research.
    Active duty military and military spouse.
    Currently hold a BS in Social Psychology.
    Currently working on CFT, SFN, and FT through ISSA.
    Future plans: BS or Masters in Nutrition program accredited by the American Dietetic Association. Preferably with a minor in Exercise Physiology or Kinesiology.
    Goal: Nutrition and weight loss specialist for the clinically obese.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Zunehmer View Post

^^This^^

I am often dubious of "titles" because I have run into many people with various levels of certifications and degrees who have nevertheless learned some broscience type stuff along the way that they take as gospel because they learned it in school. New stuff is coming out all the time, info that DOESN'T make it into general nutrition books because frankly, its geared towards a very small and select group of people (like us).

As stated before, check in on some of Alan Arganon's material, you may be surprised at a few things.

Also highly skeptical of even the most titled personal trainer when it comes to bodybuilding. This is a very small, elite field and most trainers know jacksh*t about bodybuilding.

Keep an open mind when reading here. Certainly some of it is pure garbage (this is the internet after all, and everyone has an opinion), but some of it is golden. Falling back on "well I know more than you do because I have a degree" is a sure way to create dislike. Just sayin'.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I know that there is a ton of information on this website that I can learn from, which is why I am here in the first place. I don't know everything about weight-training and power lifting, but I do have a lot of experience working with college athletes and I have read a lot of scientific studies on fat-oxidation, glycolysis, and my minor is in nutrition.

With that said, there is definitely a place for practical knowledge from experience. I want to learn from people who have been there before... but I also have science backing me up.

I love you ladies, already! <3
    One piece of advice I'd give is to "speak from your own experience". It's very difficult to argue with anyone who is merely stating what worked for them. On the other hand, it's far to easy to reiterate information learned third hand which you yourself may believe today, but discredit after trying it yourself.

Those who are educated in health and fitness are a valuable asset to the forum, but like all things that experience needs to be tempered in the fire of practical experience.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I will be completely honest, a good portion of this site (and not just the teens) use those height and weight stats to validate someone's advice or input. There is a large assumption that if you haven't walked the walk so to speak (despite the fact that there are a variety of different "walks" per se in the nutrition/fitness world!) then you're not allowed to talk the talk.

These are idiots, however; you can feel free to ignore them.
    The application of knowledge is just as important as the knowledge itself. I'm unsure how people who hold that view are automatically idiots. I hold that view, do you consider me to be an idiot?

Let me know when you start taking commerce tuition from someone who is broke, French lessons from someone who can't speak French but understands the grammar of the language and driving instruction from someone who has been in multiple car crashes.

And yet the fat P.E teacher at every school escapes unscathed due to ridiculous political correctness. It's just absurd.

perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by iBrooklyn View Post
    Yeah most wouldn't probably take you seriously. I will take past experience over education anyday
    ^THIS
    common sense/experience is more valuable....just because someone has degree in this or that doesnt make them smarter...not saying you specifically OP
    "Never be a prisoner of your own style." (Armin van Buuren)

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by perumina View Post
    ^THIS
    common sense/experience is more valuable....just because someone has degree in this or that doesnt make them smarter...not saying you specifically OP
    The problem with this is that some people will come on here and claim that their way will work for everyone, because it worked for them. And then, it might turn out that they've done everything "wrong" and don't realize/report the one little thing that actually caused them to see results. In other words, they think they got results because they did A, B, and C -- but the reality is they got results *despite* those things because of some overlooked variable - D. And then they come on here and claim that A, B, and C is what will work for everyone. In reality it was D, yet they don't even mention that.
    I hope that makes sense ...

I think experience is valuable, but good, controlled studies will hopefully guide us a bit closer to the truth.
    Last edited by thedogdidit; 08-19-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo

perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50) perumina will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes! tunnel vision by some people on the forums can be annoying...but even controlled studies can be ambiguous...which is why I always make myself a guinea pig and give something a shot at least once
    "Never be a prisoner of your own style." (Armin van Buuren)

I would much rather listen to lyle mc donald who himself is small but has huge knowledge and "created" lots of impressive guys then arnold schwarzenegger who had great genetics and roids but would have looked impressive even if he would have done 80 percent wrong. If knowledge is right doesnt matter whos giving it.
    ***Anti-Broscientist Crew***

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have been here long enough to know who to listen to or who not to. I will read your posts and over time, determine whether I should listen or not I might be a space cowboy millionare astroman online but a 7-11 clerk in real life. Or perhaps a degree in Exercise Physiology but with a 2.0 average. For me, time tells. The only fool here is the one who believes someone's word as gospel without taking the time to decide whether it is worth listening to or not.

There are a few women here whose word I will believe, and I have no clue if they have a degree or science background. Or work at 7-11. They know who they are

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by perumina View Post
    ^THIS
    The problem is that many don't get the difference between correlation and causation. The good old debate about the 6 meals a day is a perfect example. You'll get plenty of people who ate 6 meals a day and lost weight, and will tell you they lost weight BECAUSE they ate 6 meals a day instead of 3. The truth is that eating 6 times a day for them made them eat less, and that's why they lost weight, it was how much they ended up eating in a day that made them lose weight, not how many times they ate. Same with those who swear by not eating carbs at night, etc. Heck, say I eat below maintenance, but also every morning I spend 5 minutes quacking like a duck: hey, before I started quacking every morning I didn't lose weight, so... it must be the quacking!!!! Everybody start quacking now!!! See what I am trying to say?
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    The application of knowledge is just as important as the knowledge itself. I'm unsure how people who hold that view are automatically idiots. I hold that view, do you consider me to be an idiot?

Let me know when you start taking commerce tuition from someone who is broke, French lessons from someone who can't speak French but understands the grammar of the language and driving instruction from someone who has been in multiple car crashes.

And yet the fat P.E teacher at every school escapes unscathed due to ridiculous political correctness. It's just absurd.
    This is why I specifically put that there are many different sorts of "walks" per se in the fitness world. How can you judge someone's knowledge from an avatar, or especially height/weight stats alone? Especially if someone could have been through many different experiences, despite that they do not look they could step on stage in 12 weeks.

And idiot is a person who immediately trusts or distrusts the information presented to them based on that person's appearance or how many degrees they may or may not have. Scientists are wrong every day. Doctors are wrong every day. Personal trainers are really wrong every day. Be wary of these people. But doubt the information for the information's sake, not because the person does or does not look like a goddess.
    Last edited by illiniStrive; 08-19-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: took a bunch out, was tl;dr

paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    the problem is that many don't get the difference between correlation and causation. The good old debate about the 6 meals a day is a perfect example. You'll get plenty of people who ate 6 meals a day and lost weight, and will tell you they lost weight because they ate 6 meals a day instead of 3. The truth is that eating 6 times a day for them made them eat less, and that's why they lost weight, it was how much they ended up eating in a day that made them lose weight, not how many times they ate. Same with those who swear by not eating carbs at night, etc. Heck, say i eat below maintenance, but also every morning i spend 5 minutes quacking like a duck: Hey, before i started quacking every morning i didn't lose weight, so... It must be the quacking!!!! Everybody start quacking now!!! See what i am trying to say?
    aflack!!!

Originally Posted by paulett View Post
    aflack!!!
    But... are you quacking or not?

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    I have been here long enough to know who to listen to or who not to. I will read your posts and over time, determine whether I should listen or not I might be a space cowboy millionare astroman online but a 7-11 clerk in real life. Or perhaps a degree in Exercise Physiology but with a 2.0 average. For me, time tells. The only fool here is the one who believes someone's word as gospel without taking the time to decide whether it is worth listening to or not.

There are a few women here whose word I will believe, and I have no clue if they have a degree or science background. Or work at 7-11. They know who they are
    ^^^ Agreed.

I will admit that I am skeptical about people who have not walked the walk (apparently that makes me an idiot ). My take is that if someone KNOWS what to do to look better and be healthier, they will do it.

On the flip side, I've seen a lot of sh!t advice given out by people who look amazing.

So, I observe posts over time. Eventually the people with no clue are exposed and the people with a clue become obvious.

There are a chosen few on here that I would follow off a cliff without questioning them if they told me it would help me reach my goals. But for the most part I don't take any advice at face value.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is why I specifically put that there are many different sorts of "walks" per se in the fitness world. How can you judge someone's knowledge from an avatar, or especially height/weight stats alone? Especially if someone could have been through many different experiences, despite that they do not look they could step on stage in 12 weeks.

And idiot is a person who immediately trusts or distrusts the information presented to them based on that person's appearance or how many degrees they may or may not have. Scientists are wrong every day. Doctors are wrong every day. Personal trainers are really wrong every day. Be wary of these people. But doubt the information for the information's sake, not because the person does or does not look like a goddess.
    That is EXACTLY the same as for any of the examples I gave you (which you conveniently ignored).

Can you judge someone's knowledge of road rules by their driving history, or number of offences on their license? And yet which speaks louder, the fact that they've read every driving manual on the planet, or the fact that they've been in multiple crashes?

The example is no different. The difference between knowledge, and the application of knowledge.

And that doesn't answer my question again, do you think I'm an idiot?

Edit: Oh, and out of curiosity I looked through her posts, seem like the type of person you'd want to take advice from? An academic of six years who touts fasted morning cardio, is strongly anti-HFCS all while struggling to eat 1,000 calories a day and planning on doubling her cardio and/or resistance training. Hmm.

It is possible to lose body fat by simply adjusting your diet on its own. But, since you're also exercising, it's important to know that your body is engineered to use fat as a fuel source. However, when doing exercises, it takes almost 20 minutes for your body to switch from using glucose (sugar) to burning fat in your exercise so its necessary that you work at an elevated level for at least 20 minutes and THEN begin your cardio workout. This increases the amount of fat you use. It's almost why long-distance runners are always so thin -- because they run for such a long time, their bodies have plenty of time to make the glucose to fat fuel switch. As you become leaner and get into better shape, your body will recognize the need to use fat as a fuel source a lot sooner. Some athletes can begin to burn fat in as little as 5 minutes of exercise.

I also recommend doing your workouts first thing in the morning BEFORE you eat breakfast. This ensures that your body HAS to use fuel stores that it already has (fat) instead of the carbohydrates (sugars) that you just ate. Also, your workout first thing in the morning will boost your metabolism and keep you burning fat for a much longer period of time after your workout.

Good luck!

P.S. I am an exercise science and sports medicine student about to get a doctoral degree. This is what I've been studying for almost six years. I wish I would have learned to apply it to myself earlier.
    I think that avoiding HFCS is an important step in maintaining and losing weight. Many people don't realize it, but the chemical structure of HFCS actually causes the hormone, leptin, to not be released from adipose tissue and the endothelial cells of the stomach. Leptin is the hormone that tells you that you're full and you need to stop eating. HFCS makes this happen at a much slower rate which can cause overeating.

...this is also why large sodas are so popular at fast food restaurants. More HFCS in soda means that people order more food because a normal portion size won't be enough to make them feel satisfied. It's a bigger problem than most people are aware of.
    According to the resources I've found, my BMR is 1,777 calories a day. I'm having trouble meeting this, some days I struggle to even hit 1,000. It's not intentional, I just feel like I can't eat anymore. If I increased my workouts to twice a day... without doubling muscle groups, is this an effective way to increase appetite, or is it dangerous because my caloric intake is so low? Would this benefit or hinder fat loss? I know my caloric intake estimations are accurate because I measure everything on a scale and use software called Diet Analysis +9 which is software I used for my advanced nutrition classes.

I currently do cardio every day and then rotate my muscle groups, what if I just did cardio twice a day and my weight training once per day?
    Last edited by MrB1g; 08-19-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    That is EXACTLY the same as for any of the examples I gave you (which you conveniently ignored).
    Actually, I did write several paragraphs addressing your examples in my first draft of the post, which I then edited out because a) the post was long enough to be published in the NYT, and b) the effort to argue really wasn't worth it.

Are you an idiot? Beats me. You've been a valued contributor to this section for awhile now, though goodness knows why you hang around here so much.

I stand by everything I said above. An idiot would take someone's degree and assume everything they spout is true. An idiot would look at a fitness model and assume everything they spout is true. Looking at someone's post history and questioning their knowledge is an example of NOT doing this. This would be making an evaluation based upon the INFORMATION presented, and questioning what has been put forth, rather than making a judgement based upon the PERSON who said it. Is a 1000-calorie diet any more correct/incorrect if the person looks like Jamie Eason rather than Rosie O'Donnell? I'm still trying to see where you are proving me wrong here.