masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000)

inhale/exhale while lifting

Maybe I'm just a *******, but I tend to hold my breath when lifting. And I noticed that I actually stop lifting because I run out of breath..not cause my muscles can't life anymore O.o

Anyone else do this? Should I breath when i get to step 1 only?? Example:Inhale in step1, hold breath--> push to 2nd step--->than back to 1st step, and breath again

AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100)
    In fact let's imagine that you are doing bench press. You inhale while lowering the bar and exhale while pushing it. During dumbbell rows, u inhale while lowering the weight but exhale while pulling it!
    Oh dear... Is this where I say "Ouch"?
    -Eddie Brock aka Venom (my fav)

fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50) fameousmodel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^ i agree. i just try to inhale on the negatives...forcing me to exhale on the positive
    Any advice I give to anyone is purely my opinion and based on my results/experience.

I always make sure to read forum rules!

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Avoid the Valsalva maneuver at all costs.

masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000) masud is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by FueledByYelyah View Post
    Avoid the Valsalva maneuver at all costs.
    damn, i've been doing that for a while now for some exercises. Just read the things that can happen if you do it O.o

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you think that this method is good for you, or preferable? This is not a good technique as I've heard from teachers, and Scooby.

spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10) spiirit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by masud View Post
    Maybe I'm just a *******, but I tend to hold my breath when lifting. And I noticed that I actually stop lifting because I run out of breath..not cause my muscles can't life anymore O.o

Anyone else do this? Should I breath when i get to step 1 only?? Example:Inhale in step1, hold breath--> push to 2nd step--->than back to 1st step, and breath again
    Any move that has a sticking point... as you begin to fail, start a compressed/regulated release of air from the lungs. The release is timed to coinside with the must difficult range of the movement. (it works). Holding the breath is kid stuff... break the habit!
    Tom W.

boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by masud View Post

you need to breathe when you lift

you're not doing your muscles justice if you don't. Try to find a rhythm for it that suits you the best. Its best to exhale on the negative and inhale on the positive,like many say.

breathing is crucial when the weights get heavier. You could get another 2-3 reps in your exercises/lifts if you master it.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You definitely don't want to hold your breath throughout the entire movement. Force yourself to breath at first...it'll become more "normal" over time.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I respectfully disagree with what the consensus of the other posters.

In one of the most recommended strength training books written (Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe), Rippetoe recommends a full breath prior to the beginning of the motion, and breathing between reps as needed. His reasoning is that chest cavity full of air provides a stable structure for the weight to be supported with. Throughout the book he mentions that exhaling during the positive motion (which is what everyone is recommending) actually detracts from your ability to complete the lift.

Rippetoe argues that the likelihood of an aneurism or other cerebrovascular event is practically nil, unless you are in extremely poor health. On the other hand, the chance of spinal or other orthopedic injury is much higher when the thoracic cavity isn't supporting you with a full breath. Additionally, he discusses how the cardiovascular system adapts to resistance training; with practice your body gets used to the Valsalva maneuver, making you less likely to pass out the more you do it.

Personally, I lean toward taking Rippetoe's advice. Not only because he is an established figure in strength training, but also because personal experience tells me that if I start exhaling on my way out of the hole doing heavy squats, chances are I'm not going to make it out. Occasionally in the gym, during moments of great strain, I'll be fighting the weight so intensely that the seal between my epiglottis and throat breaks, and air escapes. This is what we call a "grunt."

In effect, a short Valsalva maneuver (exhaling against a closed glottis, or holding your breath) is pretty much harmless. Prolonged Valsalvas are not recommended by anyone, but that is neither here nor there. Breathe between reps, and use the natural response to load bearing your body provides you with.
    Whatever you choose to do, do it decisively and with conviction.
    -------------------
    Squat: 405x1
    DL: 515x1
    Bench: 355x1

BW: 220

JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100) JonHouse is not very well liked. (-100)
    Personal preference and what works best for you.

Personally, I like to breathe deeply several times before heavy lifts and allow my blood to be more saturated in oxygen. Sort of like David Blane breathing pure oxygen for 20 minutes (or wahtever it was) before he held his breate for 19 minutes and something (I think). Yes, I still breathe while lifting but not in the exact rythym of my lifts such as exhale on negative, inhale on postive.

When not lifting heavy I don't try to breathe a certain way.. Just breathe the way you feel like you should..