Page 4 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Did 45 minutes of very nonstrenuous cardio yesterday (seriously, for the first 1/2 of it I was on the recumbant bike reading an entire Shape magazine, just like one of those people everyone makes fun of ) just because I wanted to. Then I went home and made chicken parm meatballs and ate five of them. I would have been fine eating four, but since I made ten in total, it was easier to enter an even half of all my ingredients into fitday. I'm not even kidding. Anyone else have that problem when it comes to food tracking? I find myself forcing myself to finish what's on my plate even if I'm full and I don't want it, because OMFG, I've already weighed or measured it and if I don't eat it all I can't track properly. You are NOT telling me that isn't ****ing dysfunctional.

Today I have acupuncture after work. I am hoping I will have time to hit the gym and do hamstring dominant day in between work and my appointment, but that depends totally on work not imploding. NE Way, I am also hoping that acupuncture will help with the perimenopausal symptoms, because they have been off the hook. I have started getting what I can only assume are hot flashes, though it took me a while to realize that's what it is. For example, Sunday afternoon I was walking around, doing some errands and shopping. I had come from the gym so I had on yoga pants and a t-shirt, with a very thin cotton hoodie over it. It was really really humid out. On a couple of occasions, I was in a store and I suddenly got really hot and had to rip my jacket off, while thinking "what the HELL? don't they have the A/C on in here?!??!" Then I realized that it was probably me, not them, lol. Plus my sleep has been atrocious. The only time I've actually slept through the night without getting up multiple times in the past two weeks was when I took half an ****** before bed, and I do NOT want to become dependent on taking drugs in order to sleep.

Also going to try to stop at Trader Joe's this afternoon to look for almond flour, since I have a recipe a friend gave me for low-ish carb muffins that calls for it. (I'm gonna add whey to them to jack up the protein when I make them though.) I sorta kinda have the idea that almond flour can be made by pulverizing your own almonds in the food processor, but that sounds like way too much trouble to me.

Okay, that's today's report. Over n' out.

Addendum: Work just imploded. Son of a bitch.
    Last edited by dreahere; 09-27-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I went to the gym last night *after* acupuncture. How's that for dedication, yo? Not the most fantabulous of workouts but okay. Last week I did one set of SLDLs at 135, so last night I tried to start with that. I got three sets of 4 and then I was like, eh, this really is too heavy, my form feels off and like I'm gonna tweak my back. So I swapped out the 45lb plates for 35s and did a 5x5 at 115. Step away from the ego, Andrea. Dips went great though! I did a set of 12, then two sets of ten.

As a follow up to my perimenopause talk, WHICH I AM SURE IS FASCINATING TO ALL Y'ALL, Marcy, my acupuncturist, thought it was interesting that I've all of a sudden started having the hot flashes over the past 2-3 weeks. I mean, it's possible that I was having one here and there before and just not identifying that that's what they were, but it is odd that just like that I've gone to having several a day in a couple weeks. Apparently my estrogen levels have suddenly tanked. So last night before bed, I pulled out this book on perimenopause that I'd bought a couple years ago when my periods first started getting wonky to see what it had to say on hot flashes. Well, apparently the leaner you are, the more trouble with hot flashes you will have. Which makes perfect sense, since estrogen is stored in your fat tissues. The more fat you get rid of, the more likely you are to deplete whatever estrogen stores you have. All this recomping I've been doing is probably not good for my body, at least in one way. I better stop bitching about the chub I've got left and embrace it, or else I'll end up a little dried out twig of a woman who needs to rip her shirt off in public when you least expect it.
    Last edited by dreahere; 09-28-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: goddamn laptop

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey Andrea, I am cracking up at your journal! How did I not find this sooner?? The title caught my eye. Still catching up, but...

Originally Posted by dreahere View Post
    Then I went home and made chicken parm meatballs and ate five of them. I would have been fine eating four, but since I made ten in total, it was easier to enter an even half of all my ingredients into fitday. I'm not even kidding. Anyone else have that problem when it comes to food tracking? I find myself forcing myself to finish what's on my plate even if I'm full and I don't want it, because OMFG, I've already weighed or measured it and if I don't eat it all I can't track properly. You are NOT telling me that isn't ****ing dysfunctional.
    LMAO, yes me too!! If I can't finish it it goes in a baggie and in my pocket to make sure I get it in asap so my numbers match up. And I rage at the pasta boxes that have 7 servings, I have to figure the macros for the entire box, then divide by 4 so I can divy it up into 4 Tupperwares.
    Today I have acupuncture after work. I am hoping I will have time to hit the gym and do hamstring dominant day in between work and my appointment, but that depends totally on work not imploding. NE Way, I am also hoping that acupuncture will help with the perimenopausal symptoms, because they have been off the hook. I have started getting what I can only assume are hot flashes, though it took me a while to realize that's what it is. For example, Sunday afternoon I was walking around, doing some errands and shopping. I had come from the gym so I had on yoga pants and a t-shirt, with a very thin cotton hoodie over it. It was really really humid out. On a couple of occasions, I was in a store and I suddenly got really hot and had to rip my jacket off, while thinking "what the HELL? don't they have the A/C on in here?!??!" Then I realized that it was probably me, not them, lol. Plus my sleep has been atrocious. The only time I've actually slept through the night without getting up multiple times in the past two weeks was when I took half an ****** before bed, and I do NOT want to become dependent on taking drugs in order to sleep.
    I am very interested by the acupuncture. You said before it cleared up a lot of problems like acid reflux/skin problems? Weird, I have acid reflux which seems to come and go, and I often get these freakish red itchy dots on my back, stomach, and quads, some sort of weird skin outbreak which no one has ever been able to explain to me. Are you telling me all I gotta do is have some chick stick me with 100 needles?! I assume there is a different cause for this, but I get hot flashes all the time, every since i started lifting really. Thank god for break-away pants. Lol, sorry to throw my medical woes at you!

I went to the gym last night *after* acupuncture. How's that for dedication, yo? Not the most fantabulous of workouts but okay. Last week I did one set of SLDLs at 135, so last night I tried to start with that. I got three sets of 4 and then I was like, eh, this really is too heavy, my form feels off and like I'm gonna tweak my back. So I swapped out the 45lb plates for 35s and did a 5x5 at 115. Step away from the ego, Andrea. Dips went great though! I did a set of 12, then two sets of ten.
    There you go, youredoinitrite.jpg.

As a follow up to my perimenopause talk, WHICH I AM SURE IS FASCINATING TO ALL Y'ALL, Marcy, my acupuncturist, thought it was interesting that I've all of a sudden started having the hot flashes over the past 2-3 weeks. I mean, it's possible that I was having one here and there before and just not identifying that that's what they were, but it is odd that just like that I've gone to having several a day in a couple weeks. Apparently my estrogen levels have suddenly tanked. So last night before bed, I pulled out this book on perimenopause that I'd bought a couple years ago when my periods first started getting wonky to see what it had to say on hot flashes. Well, apparently the leaner you are, the more trouble with hot flashes you will have. Which makes perfect sense, since estrogen is stored in your fat tissues. The more fat you get rid of, the more likely you are to deplete whatever estrogen stores you have. All this recomping I've been doing is probably not good for my body, at least in one way. I better stop bitching about the chub I've got left and embrace it, or else I'll end up a little dried out twig of a woman who needs to rip her shirt off in public when you least expect it.
    Ok, THAT makes sense. I must just be wired wrong since I am obviously very well insulated, lol. I think my hot flashes are just a build up of rage from interacting with other people. Good luck with your hot flashes and be careful, most grocery stores do not take too kindly to people ripping off their clothes in the cereal aisle. Happy lifting, OP!
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    I am very interested by the acupuncture. You said before it cleared up a lot of problems like acid reflux/skin problems? Weird, I have acid reflux which seems to come and go, and I often get these freakish red itchy dots on my back, stomach, and quads, some sort of weird skin outbreak which no one has ever been able to explain to me. Are you telling me all I gotta do is have some chick stick me with 100 needles?!
    The thing about acupuncture needles is that they aren't anything you would really consider a "needle". They're very thin and very flexible--best comparison I can make is that they're like a thick cat's whisker. It's not like someone's poking you with sewing needles. And then you get to lie there and take a nap while they're in. Win!

Ok, THAT makes sense. I must just be wired wrong since I am obviously very well insulated, lol. I think my hot flashes are just a build up of rage from interacting with other people.
    Heh. I bet your metabolism is just cranking from all the picking up heavy objects and eating steakz!

Good luck with your hot flashes and be careful, most grocery stores do not take too kindly to people ripping off their clothes in the cereal aisle.
    I *know*. They have no acknowledgment of my needs. It's age discrimination! And sexism! I should probably write to my congressman or something.

So, today I did absolutely nothing useful except take a walk and make my protein health muffins. I couldn't find almond flour at either Trader Joe's or the natural food section of Shaws, so I overcame my laziness and ground up the almonds in my little mini Cuisinart, which worked well, actually. But I'm not sure that ground up almonds and almond flour are really equivalent because a.) i needed to add more liquid than the recipe called for and b.) when I figured out the macros, they were way off from what the recipe said they should be, even taking into consideration the added whey. They taste...healthy. LOL They're actually not bad, but my mistake was that since the whey is flavored and sweetened, I figured I didn't need to add the splenda the recipe called for, but I should have added some, because they turned out not sweet at all.

Anyway, the macros on them ended up being, 383 calories, 28g protein, 30g fat, 12g carbs, 5g fiber. I would take a picture, but I'm not motivated enough. Oh, well.

Thursday was back/shoulders vertical plane. Hallalujah, the pin was back in the assisted pullup machine so I could do those. I did a set of 8 with 37.5 assist, then 3 sets of 6 with 25 assist, 1 set of 5, and then another set of 6. Hammer high row I went up to 120 (8-8-6). Db shoulder press with 25s was 7-5-6-5-4-5. Maybe next week I'll see if I can get the 30s up and squeak out a couple of reps. Maybe. Nothing else exciting yesterday. Lat pulldowns still suck. I was going to do a little cardio after lifting because I sat the whole damn day but then I said fukc it. Which gave me a really good calorie surplus for the day, hahaha.

Wearing a pair of pants today that I thought were getting a little tight the last time I wore them. Today not so much. Bulking fail! Those health muffins cleaned me right the hell out, so I guess my belleh's pretty flat right now I find it kinda perplexing, because they're apparently only 7g fiber and yet the oat bran totally rotor routers my colon.

Oops, gotta go do some actual work now. More later. Happy Friday!

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thursday was back/shoulders vertical plane. Hallalujah, the pin was back in the assisted pullup machine so I could do those. I did a set of 8 with 37.5 assist, then 3 sets of 6 with 25 assist, 1 set of 5, and then another set of 6. Hammer high row I went up to 120 (8-8-6). Db shoulder press with 25s was 7-5-6-5-4-5. Maybe next week I'll see if I can get the 30s up and squeak out a couple of reps. Maybe. Nothing else exciting yesterday. Lat pulldowns still suck. I was going to do a little cardio after lifting because I sat the whole damn day but then I said fukc it. Which gave me a really good calorie surplus for the day, hahaha.

Wearing a pair of pants today that I thought were getting a little tight the last time I wore them. Today not so much. Bulking fail! Those health muffins cleaned me right the hell out, so I guess my belleh's pretty flat right now I find it kinda perplexing, because they're apparently only 7g fiber and yet the oat bran totally rotor routers my colon.

Oops, gotta go do some actual work now. More later. Happy Friday!
    Health muffins that are makin' your belly flat - I need those! Do you have a recipe?
    workouts lookin' good - grats on the 30's for all sets. I struggled fro what seemed like forever to get 35's up on all 6 sets - sometimes I would go 2 or 3 sets and then they wouldn't budge. Well just this week I was able to get all 6 sets in. Power of food baby!

Originally Posted by ms_mac View Post
    Health muffins that are makin' your belly flat - I need those! Do you have a recipe?
    workouts lookin' good - grats on the 30's for all sets. I struggled fro what seemed like forever to get 35's up on all 6 sets - sometimes I would go 2 or 3 sets and then they wouldn't budge. Well just this week I was able to get all 6 sets in. Power of food baby!

muffin recipe:

2 cups almond flour (I could not find this even though I looked everywhere--ok, 2 stores, but still--so I ground up 8oz of almonds which equalled 2 cups; this caused a.) the macros of the original recipe to be way off and b.) a need for additional liquid. Probably real almond flour would be superior )

1/3 cup of oat bran OR bran flakes OR golden flax meal (I used oat bran)

1 teaspoon baking powder

4 packages of Splenda (I left this out and it was a poor decision )

2 teaspoons of vanilla, almond, or maple extract

2 tablespoons cream or milk (I had to use 4 tablespoons because the batter was really sticky)

2 eggs

2 tablespoons oil

2 scoops vanilla whey protein (not in original recipe)

You can add zucchini, apple, raisins etc to jazz them up if you like.

Combine ingredients.

Fill six muffin tins.

Bake at 350 degrees for ~20 minutes. Store in the fridge.

The macros I got were: 383 calories, 28g protein, 30g fat, 12g carbs, 5g fiber. The macros on the original recipe w/ real almond flour, 2 tablespoons of cream/milk and no protein powder were stated as: 210 calories, 6g protein, 17g fat, 10g carbs, 3g fiber.

The ones I made fill you up for hours and definitely take care of any bathroom issues you might be having It's like a colon cleanse in portable form.

Congrats on the 35s!

Got out of work earlier than I usually do on a Friday yesterday and was at the gym by 3:15. Worst.mistake.ever. All the little teenage boys who come directly from school were there and I could not get at anything. Seriously, of the five exercises I do on "quad dominant day" I had to substitute equipment on three of them, or I would have been standing around for 15 minutes in between each thing I did. I HAD TO SQUAT IN THE SMITH MACHINE. Argghhh. I was really disgruntled about all this until I realized that, y'know, it's just one workout. Just one. Failure to be able to do what I wanted to do during one workout is not going to stop my quads from growing for the rest of my life or anything. So just chillax, Andrea.

And I don't think I effed up my back squatting in the Smith, so I'm sure everything's going to be fine, LOL.

Eating yesterday was probably atrocious, micronutrient-wise. I didn't have a vegetable all day. I had a quesadilla for lunch. I had wine and ice cream before bed. I can't shake the semi-subconscious idea that I'm going to fulk eating crap like that all day, even though my calories were okay. But I had my gummy vitamins, so I'm sure everything's going to be fine. hahahahaha

Alright, my work day is starting already and it's gonna suck, I can just tell. Everyone have a lovely Saturday!

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Got out of work earlier than I usually do on a Friday yesterday and was at the gym by 3:15. Worst.mistake.ever. All the little teenage boys who come directly from school were there and I could not get at anything. Seriously, of the five exercises I do on "quad dominant day" I had to substitute equipment on three of them, or I would have been standing around for 15 minutes in between each thing I did. I HAD TO SQUAT IN THE SMITH MACHINE. Argghhh. I was really disgruntled about all this until I realized that, y'know, it's just one workout. Just one. Failure to be able to do what I wanted to do during one workout is not going to stop my quads from growing for the rest of my life or anything. So just chillax, Andrea.

And I don't think I effed up my back squatting in the Smith, so I'm sure everything's going to be fine, LOL.

Eating yesterday was probably atrocious, micronutrient-wise. I didn't have a vegetable all day. I had a quesadilla for lunch. I had wine and ice cream before bed. I can't shake the semi-subconscious idea that I'm going to fulk eating crap like that all day, even though my calories were okay. But I had my gummy vitamins, so I'm sure everything's going to be fine. hahahahaha

Alright, my work day is starting already and it's gonna suck, I can just tell. Everyone have a lovely Saturday!
    My gym only has a Smith machine or I use the Gerard trap bar to squat or whatever other variation I feel inclined to do. It was finally announced yesterday that we are finally getting a squat rack! Yippee!!! Just curious though, were you able to squat the same weight on the Smith as you do with a regular bb back squat?

Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    My gym only has a Smith machine or I use the Gerard trap bar to squat or whatever other variation I feel inclined to do. It was finally announced yesterday that we are finally getting a squat rack! Yippee!!! Just curious though, were you able to squat the same weight on the Smith as you do with a regular bb back squat?
    Congrats on the new squat rack!

I'm a little confused about actual weight on the Smith machine, like is there some assistance component to it, so that you aren't lifting all that you think you're lifting? But if there isn't assistance, I lifted 10 pounds heavier on the Smith than I have been doing on regular back squats. I also felt like I went way ATG on them, because I didn't have to stablize myself as much as on regular squats. I dunno. It was weird.

How's your mini-cut going? When are you coming back to the dark side?

Oh, and another thing. I decided on staying in bed an extra 20 minutes this morning as opposed to getting up in time to eat breakfast at home, and then my morning was so busy I didn't get a chance to either eat any of the food I brought with me or go grab something. So I made it to 12pm on nothing but coffee with a little cream and water, and I was fine. I think this is evidence that when I cut, I can go back to IF for awhile and it won't make me overly miserable. At least on days I'm either busy or can sleep late. The days I have to be in work early and yet am just sitting around, I'm sure I'll convince myself that I am starving

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the muffin recipe. I found almond flour but it was $10 for a tiny bag! I did not buy it! I guess I'll have to go your route and make it myself...I did find coconut flour, though. I wonder if you could substitute?

Hope you're having a great weekend

Originally Posted by ms_mac View Post
    Thanks for the muffin recipe. I found almond flour but it was $10 for a tiny bag! I did not buy it! I guess I'll have to go your route and make it myself...I did find coconut flour, though. I wonder if you could substitute?

Hope you're having a great weekend
    I saw the coconut flour too, but the bag warned that it absorbs a lot of liquid and that you have to adjust for that, so I was hesitant to try it. I saw on n e t r i t i o n.com yesterday that they have the Bob's Red Mill almond flour for something like $9.50/lb, which is four cups. This would actually be cheaper, because the almonds that I used to make my two cups of flour were over 5 bucks. However, I didn't buy them at Trader Joe's where they would have been cheaper and they were organic b/c I couldn't find where they keep the non-organic raw almonds (which also would have been cheaper) at that particular Shaws. And then of course if you buy the flour online there's the shipping.

Chest was weak at the gym yesterday last week on db bench I did 5-5-5-4-5 with the 35s. Yesterday I did 5-5-5-5-4, goddamnit. I was so pissed I just couldn't get that last rep that I immediately grabbed the 30s and pushed out 5 with them. (Is that a drop set? I know there's a name for it.) So then I did db rows, 5x5 with the 45s, fine, great. Went to do inclines with the 30s (which last week I got 8-8-7) and I could only do 7-7-5 So I threw in another set and got 4. I dunno if it was the drop set on regular bench that killed me (but, like I said, did rows in between) or if it was the fact that I got a freaking hot flash during the inclines that made me weak, but no bueno So then I went and did cable rows to make me feel better about myself, hahahaha. I am so comparatively stronger on rows than anything else, they always lift my self esteem

Hamstring dominant day plus triceps. Did my SLDLs at 125 today--did not attempt 135--and felt like my form was spot on. Got 5-5-5-5-4 (grip fsailed!)-5. Ran into Liz and caught her up on how I've been doing on my lifts. She's a lot more happy with my squat progress than I am, LOL. Told me she saw my doing my dips and my triceps were popping. Yay! I told her about the grip problem and she recommended farmer's walks, and doing them on a day where a.) I haven't already taxed my grip and b.) am not going to deadlift the next day or the like. So I'm thinking tomorrow I shall go to the gym, and just do some cardio and farmers walks. I did do 20 minutes on the bike after lifting today, again not too strenuous.

Then when I went down into the locker room to change, this woman changing nearby asked me if I worked there. Nope. "Oh, I saw you talking to the other trainer (Liz) and I thought you might work here." She started telling me she was one of the exiles from the nearby big chain gym that closed a couple months ago and that she was just getting back into working out. We discussed how sometimes you really have to force yourself into the gym, but how when you do, you always feel great afterwards, blah blah, and then she started telling me how she was about to turn 46 and how her body was changing, getting a belly she never had, etc. I was like, "Tell me about it, I'm about to turn 49." Then this woman, who like me OBVIOUSLY works out without her glasses on, says, "You're turning 49?!?!! i thought you were in your 20s. How long have you been working out for?" Since I was standing there talking to her in my underwear with all my cellulite clearly visible, I wanted to hug her. Really really made my day. Then we had our middle aged talk aout how effed up our hormones are, LOL.

I need to eat some more protein and I don't really want to. I want carbs, dammit.

Oh, and I noticed today that Au Bon Pan now has the calorie counts displayed in front of all their pastries. I do not feel this is a good sales tactic

Hope everyone had a stellar weekend!

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Congrats on the new squat rack!

I'm a little confused about actual weight on the Smith machine, like is there some assistance component to it, so that you aren't lifting all that you think you're lifting? But if there isn't assistance, I lifted 10 pounds heavier on the Smith than I have been doing on regular back squats. I also felt like I went way ATG on them, because I didn't have to stablize myself as much as on regular squats. I dunno. It was weird.

How's your mini-cut going? When are you coming back to the dark side?
    There is no assistance really. It's just the weight of the bar is 5-15 lbs (depending on model) versus the oly bar and you are stuck on one plane. I was curious because I seem to be a lot stronger on other types of squats than the Smith, on which I seem stuck on 130 lbs plus bar.....whatever that is......for reps and it is super uncomfortable. I guess only time will tell.

My mini cut...oh wow. I don't even know what I am doing. I am sort of in limbo...la la land. I am not committed to anything right now. I am eating about 1,700 cals daily, but haven't lost any weight other than the initial few lbs that came off the first week. TOM right now, so.... My stomach is a lot flatter though from less volume. Oh, I never eat in the middle of the night and hunger pangs woke me up at 3:00 am last night and I tried to ignore it, but new I would get no sleep, so I ate! That's effed up! It's a difficult transition for sure. Every day I am not sure if I want to proceed, but I know I don't want to go back to bulking just yet. I think I will need to drop cals further, but I am full of dread.....not positive at all. I just want to be....just go back to having fun and feeling good about myself. I just want to enjoy the holidays and ideally would like to drop 5 lbs of fluff and then continue with the bulk. We'll see.

Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    There is no assistance really. It's just the weight of the bar is 5-15 lbs (depending on model) versus the oly bar and you are stuck on one plane. I was curious because I seem to be a lot stronger on other types of squats than the Smith, on which I seem stuck on 130 lbs plus bar.....whatever that is......for reps and it is super uncomfortable. I guess only time will tell.

My mini cut...oh wow. I don't even know what I am doing. I am sort of in limbo...la la land. I am not committed to anything right now. I am eating about 1,700 cals daily, but haven't lost any weight other than the initial few lbs that came off the first week. TOM right now, so.... My stomach is a lot flatter though from less volume. Oh, I never eat in the middle of the night and hunger pangs woke me up at 3:00 am last night and I tried to ignore it, but new I would get no sleep, so I ate! That's effed up! It's a difficult transition for sure. Every day I am not sure if I want to proceed, but I know I don't want to go back to bulking just yet. I think I will need to drop cals further, but I am full of dread.....not positive at all. I just want to be....just go back to having fun and feeling good about myself. I just want to enjoy the holidays and ideally would like to drop 5 lbs of fluff and then continue with the bulk. We'll see.
    Oh god, sorry to hear you're waking up starving That sux. Do you really think you need to drop calories further? Probably not. What's that, like a 300-400 calorie deficit for you? Don't drop too low and start burning up whatever muscle you put on during the bulk, chica. I hear you on the holidays. The only reason I'm considering dieting down for 3-4 weeks after my birthday is so I could conceivably spend the last two weeks of December eating and drinking whatever the hell I want, baking, going out, no tracking, no worries.

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by squeaks77 View Post
    You had me at vodka and creatine, lol. What workout program are you doing now? I'll stay tuned for more.
    This. In.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

Originally Posted by Euqinom View Post
    This. In.
    Welcome!

I just lost half a long post. Let's see if I can re-create.

So, we had two hours of severe thunderstorms this morning from ~4:45-6:45 and everything freaking flooded. It was raining so hard that it sounded like it was hailing. It then took me 1 hour and 24 minutes to go the 3 miles from my house to my job because the traffic was so effed up by people getting stuck in massive puddles. My basement is underwater, which I just can't wait to deal with. Needless to say, I won't make it to the gym today unless shopvaccing out that mess takes way less time than I think it is going to take.

Yesterday, however, was Grip Training Day One. I felt like that needed its own caps, because it was EPIC, hahaha. First I did farmers walks with 20lb dbs, twice around the entire gym, rested 30 secs, did another two laps, rested, then once more around the gym. Then I did twenty five minutes of cardio. Afterwards I did farmers walks again, this time with with the 25 lb dbs, just back and forth through the weight area, for about another 20 minutes, just going till I had to stop, resting as needed, and going again. I also threw in some plate "pinching" to mix it up. Mostly with the 5lb plates, but I also tried the 10s. Not timing anything, just holding till I couldn't hold any more. By the time I was done with all this, I had such a pump going in my forearms, I felt like Popeye I was expecting to be sore from this today, but so far, so good. Not sure how often I will do this. Once a week, once every two weeks? It was fun, anyway. I am sure I got some WTF looks, but honestly, I have seen people doing far weirder shiz in that gym

I just spent two days drying out my basement. It was fun Needless to say, I have not been to the gym but have gotten plenty of exercise. And yesterday I underate--about 1800 calories. Not on purpose, it just turned out that way.

Today is back/shoulders. (I think. I'm totally out of my routine here. I always go to the gym Tuesday, Wednesday, or both.)

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why are you doing special grip work? To improve other lifts, for a specific sports, because it makes your forearms look pretty, or because it's badass?
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

Why are you doing special grip work? To improve other lifts, for a specific sports, because it makes your forearms look pretty, or because it's badass?
    Oh, even though I'm certainly not lifting super-heavy, I'm getting to the point where if I don't get all my reps on deadlift-y things like SLDLs or rack pulls, it's usually because my grip fails, not because my legs or back couldn't do it. When I mentioned it to Liz, my former trainer, she gave me some ideas to play around with. So I'm just experimenting.

Today *was* vertical plane back/shoulders. Really good day after two days' rest I think every single thing I did today, I went up in, with either extra reps or an extra set. Next week we try at least one set of db shoulder presses with the 30s--you heard it here first. Maybe I'll get them up, maybe I won't, but I did 7-7-5-7-7 with the 25s today and that wasn't even horribly difficult, so it's time.

I'm way behind on food again today and I'm so tired at this point, I really don't want to eat. Gonna go force down a snack, and then it's bed, fo' sure. Good night!

And after two days--just two days!--of eating below maintenance, I am back down to 118 this morning. The two pounds I thought I'd put on in the last six weeks were apparently just water. [insert long string of bad words right here] If anyone had ever in my life told me that it would be hard for me to gain weight, I would have laughed hysterically for about fifteen minutes. Srsly. I'm guessing I am probably NOT going to have to cut for 3-4 weeks in Nov/Dec at this rate. On the positive side, I was wearing these pants yesterday that are in between pants and leggings and it looked to me like my quads were popping in them. I may possibly have been hallucinating from the mold spores due to shopvaccing that basement for two days, but that was my impression.

Will attempt to do squat day today after work. If it is like last Friday and there are approximately 25 teenaged boys up in that weight room when I get there, I may have to kill someone. And we wouldn't want that.

Happy Friday!

And after two days--just two days!--of eating below maintenance, I am back down to 118 this morning. The two pounds I thought I'd put on in the last six weeks were apparently just water. [insert long string of bad words right here] If anyone had ever in my life told me that it would be hard for me to gain weight, I would have laughed hysterically for about fifteen minutes. Srsly. I'm guessing I am probably NOT going to have to cut for 3-4 weeks in Nov/Dec at this rate. On the positive side, I was wearing these pants yesterday that are in between pants and leggings and it looked to me like my quads were popping in them. I may possibly have been hallucinating from the mold spores due to shopvaccing that basement for two days, but that was my impression.

Will attempt to do squat day today after work. If it is like last Friday and there are approximately 25 teenaged boys up in that weight room when I get there, I may have to kill someone. And we wouldn't want that.

Happy Friday!
    The regular crowd always kids in my gym: "Everybody under 120lbs, out!" Meaning the boys. . You never know, it might work!

The regular crowd always kids in my gym: "Everybody under 120lbs, out!" Meaning the boys. . You never know, it might work!
    Heh. That might have worked yesterday! When I got there, there was a little gaggle of, I'd guess, 12-14 year olds there, but thankfully they were being supervised by a Y staff member who was teaching them how to bench. 13 year olds aren't really interested in learning how to squat so they stayed outta my way Squat day continues to confound me. My increases are really incremental and slow and then, even with my pitiful squat numbers, after I'm done with them, my legs (quads) are so fried I can barely leg press. My back and hips really tightened up on me too yesterday. I wish I had been able to go to yoga after lifting, but I couldn't spend that much time at the gym. Today I'm resting. Tomorrow's horizontal plane, back and chest, which is probably well documented here as my favorite.

Happy Saturday!

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damn teenagers! Haha, that is irritating, at least the staff was making an attempt to guide them so you don't end up with a line of people doing curls in the squat rack. Yeah I have noticed most people in general have no interest in anything more than quarter squats. I lucked out with my gym, I either go very early in the mornings when all those pesky teenagers are at home sleeping or going to school, or at night on the weekend, and my gym only allows adults in the actual gym section after 8pm. I occassionally go to a chain gym nearby too that has an 18 and older policy so that helps. I do get attacked by the gangs of screaming small children at the pool though on Saturdays when somebody's kid has a freakin' b-day party at our club , still don't understand that one!

As for the weight, how much protein do you eat? Calories? My standard advice for all of life's problems: eat more! Lol, kidding, but maybe you're a little light on the protein.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

As for the weight, how much protein do you eat? Calories? My standard advice for all of life's problems: eat more! Lol, kidding, but maybe you're a little light on the protein.
    I average about 135g of protein. That should be enough, no? My calories are around 2200. I've been trying to get up to 2300 for like two-three months, but every time I think I'm eating more, I'll end up having a couple days where I'm too busy to get all my calories in and it'll bring my average for the week down. Basically, I suck at bulking. Still, 2200 is over what I'm expending according to the bodymedia, so I should be gaining, at least slowly.

Great workout today!

Well, except that I totally forgot that wearing shorts on rack pull day was a bad idea until the bar was actually scraping its way up my shin. D'oh. Got my 5x5 with 125 no problem, though I had to rest the bar on the rack for a couple seconds and adjust my grip on two or three reps. Then I *finally* got all my reps on the 5x5 db bench with 35s and the 8x3 incline with 30s. Chest felt much stronger than last week. I also did db rows and seated cable rows for back. My right side was noticeably weaker than the left on db rows today for reasons that are completely unclear.

Walked home from the gym which I haven't done for weeks. The weather was absolutely perfect. Stopped at the store and bought some cod and some veggies for dinner (plus f.a.g.e which was on sale, and string cheese). It was really good. Now I'm eating Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake and drinking Gnarly Head old vine zin. I love Sundays

BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, are you doing the baby got back program? I'm starting it this week .......gonna go catch up on the rest of your journal!
    *Michelle
    - Keep calm and get strong!

I average about 135g of protein. That should be enough, no? My calories are around 2200. I've been trying to get up to 2300 for like two-three months, but every time I think I'm eating more, I'll end up having a couple days where I'm too busy to get all my calories in and it'll bring my average for the week down. Basically, I suck at bulking. Still, 2200 is over what I'm expending according to the bodymedia, so I should be gaining, at least slowly.
    Yeah 135 is great and that's a solid number of cals too. I'm used to seeing people over here saying oh I only need 1500 cals :hamstare.jpg:, and get 80g protein. :hamstare.jpg: If you're trying to bump it up by only 100 cals, or are low one day, you could just down a couple spoonfuls of PB. That has backfired on me a couple times though where I end up eating half a jar of PB.
    Current PRs:

Originally Posted by BananaOats View Post
    Hey, are you doing the baby got back program? I'm starting it this week .......gonna go catch up on the rest of your journal!
    I am! I really like it a lot. It's the first time I've worked in the 5 rep range, and while I still feel pathetically weak when I compare myself to other people on here, it has helped me make some very nice strength gains. The only adaptations I've made to it is that I've sorta stopped doing abs twice a week. I feel like the squatting and SLDLs and rack pulls etc hit my core enough without doing more ab work. Oh, and I don't do a 5x5 for biceps on Liz's recommendation.

Yeah 135 is great and that's a solid number of cals too. I'm used to seeing people over here saying oh I only need 1500 cals :hamstare.jpg:, and get 80g protein. :hamstare.jpg: If you're trying to bump it up by only 100 cals, or are low one day, you could just down a couple spoonfuls of PB. That has backfired on me a couple times though where I end up eating half a jar of PB.
    I hope I never have to eat 1500 calories a day ever again But then again, I could not care less about being "lean" by bodybuilding.com standards

Peanut/nut butter is awesome. Sometimes I've got four different kinds in the house at the same time.

No gym today. Meeting a friend to walk all over the city then find somewhere we can eat and drink outside, because this may be one of the last days this year that's possible.

Happy Columbus Day and Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving, all!