dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stomach Vacuum reps???

Hey,

I'm presently on a bulk and doing a full body HST routine Monday, Wednesday and Friday, which consists of essentially all compound exercises. I don't however do any specific Core exercises and I'm thinking of putting together a "small" core routine for Tuesday and Thursday mornings. After reading about Stomach Vacuums the thought of an exercise that could potentially "suck my gut in" while I bulk plus add core strength for squats etc is very appealing!

But I'm still trying to properly figure out how to set up a routine with them... I've got the following from the site here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm) outlining how to do them and a routine.

Week * *Exercise * *Seconds * *Sets
    1 * * * Vacuum * * *20 * * * * *3
    2 * * * Vacuum * * *40 * * * * *3
    3 * * * Vacuum * * *60 * * * * *3

My question is:
    How do the reps work? Is it meant that you only do one rep per set or whats the general take on it? Suppose for the 60sec ones I could picture one rep per set but for the others it just seems like far too little to be of benefit...

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    they are very effective. Each set consists of holding it in for 20 seconds for a total of 60 seconds. You can work out your way up if you don't feel it enough. Don't adhere so strictly to rep and set guidelines and listen to how your body responds.

poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's an isometric exercise, so not really done in terms of "reps" ... It's more about TUT (time under tension). But if you want to think of it that way, then yes, one set is one long rep. Agreed, 20 seconds seems too short, maybe useful for someone who has been previously unaware of these muscles to build the mind-muscle connection, or to learn how to breathe while holding the position (which is the tricky part). If you can do it for 60 seconds right off the bat though, don't bother with weeks 1 and 2.

PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) PrinceDaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for this post. I am going to try this. I'm missing this in my ab routine. So basically, 3 sets of 3 reps @ 20 seconds each is the starting point.

dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies!

So basically the aim is to get to being able to do it 3 times 60sec each and the first and second week in that program are just ways to try and train up to that. I reckon I'll aim for the getting in the 3 min under tension and divide that up into sets lasting as long as I can manage.

abstracted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abstracted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by poloralphloren View Post
    or to learn how to breathe while holding the position (which is the tricky part)
    I thought you are supposed to release all air while holding the vacuum, and not breathe during it? My issue with vacuums is I can't hold my breath long, and while doing a vacuum it seems to only get harder.
    live and learn;

poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by abstracted View Post
    I thought you are supposed to release all air while holding the vacuum, and not breathe during it? My issue with vacuums is I can't hold my breath long, and while doing a vacuum it seems to only get harder.
    There's no need to hold your breath the whole time. And as you've experienced, it will shorten the time available to hold the position if you try to... Just release all air to put yourself into proper position at the beginning of the exercise -- after that you can then breathe, but just make shallow breaths using the upper part of your lungs while keeping the TVA braced. This bracing/breathing technique is used through much of yoga, thus doing yoga is good to practice this. Pilates too.