theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Will too low a deficit cause slow to no weight loss??

Hi,
    Really quick question….if you have too much of a calorific deficit – say you should be having 3200 cals and you drop to say 1600 cals a day, are you likely to not lose weight?
    Will the body hang on to the cals more?
    I ask as due to work etc I wasn’t eating as much as I should, I upped to 2k a day and the weights moving again.
    Cheers,
    Al
    Sept - Jan comp
    06/09/2013: 260 lbs

Goal Jan 2014 = 220lbs

iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iBrooklyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Eating below 500 cals

From experience i believe this "starvation mode" thing a is a total bloke and i think you shouldn't worry about ever being in it(it largely affects people with low bf% but affects you less the higher your bf% is ). The only possible thing that will be effected might possibly be your metabolism and your lifts (for time being). If you want to lose fat then yes eating 1600 cals is great. If you also want to keep your muscles then you have to eat alot of protien to compensate for the low cals. High Protien/High Fat Low carb and you'll lose weight the fastest i recon.
    Nursing Student

>< Manchester United ><
    Fractured arm:Jan 16 2014
    Torn meniscus: April 28 2014

DIDNT ASK LOL

Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No it wouldn't stop your weight loss or people wouldn't starve to death....

A big defecit does cause your metabolism to slow down slightly but never to the point it will offset your defecit.

ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000) ispoody1243 is just really nice. (+1000)
    you will lose weight regardless if your in deficit
    if the deficit is too big your tdee lowers to a degree and you feel lethargic all the time
    the only time it could stall is if your deficit is like 200 cal or less below maintenance
    i have a maintenance over 3000cal and was cutting ages ago on 1600 cal
    tired all the time, very moody.
    still lost weight tho
    best to stick around 500-750 deficit while cutting
    any more and cutting turn into torture

sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Another thing to consider: high deficits -> high cortisol levels -> increased water retention

This might mask weight loss temporarily but you'll be losing at a deficit no matter what. Too high of a deficit may eventually cause a slowdown to metabolism but never to the point where you aren't losing fat. You may also lose muscle mass with a higher deficit as well.

theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10) theymademedoit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    I eat over 200g of protein a day, 100g of fat a day and between 50-100g of carbs a day (usually 75ish).
    I was VERY moody when at lower cals...always fell asleep on my breaks at work, but I never struggled to lift.

I think I may keep it between 1800-2000 for now and see how it goes.
    Are my fats too low?

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I believe it's only really a problem when you have low body fat. As far as my 'knowledge' goes on this, if the body isn't getting enough calories, it will start to use other things rather than fat as energy in order to preserve itself.

That may be rubbish or broscience, but that's how I've picked it up as. Feel free to set me straight.

sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by theymademedoit View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    I eat over 200g of protein a day, 100g of fat a day and between 50-100g of carbs a day (usually 75ish).
    I was VERY moody when at lower cals...always fell asleep on my breaks at work, but I never struggled to lift.

I think I may keep it between 1800-2000 for now and see how it goes.
    Are my fats too low?
    Your fats are good. I get moody going low carb as well. My solution was carb cycling: high carbs/lower fats on workout days. Those days are something to look forward to and keeps my mood steady.

Originally Posted by sparkleys View Post
    Another thing to consider: high deficits -> high cortisol levels -> increased water retention

This might mask weight loss temporarily but you'll be losing at a deficit no matter what. Too high of a deficit may eventually cause a slowdown to metabolism but never to the point where you aren't losing fat. You may also lose muscle mass with a higher deficit as well.
    Ahhhhh....I had a big deficit...and I held/hold water BIG style....only just bumped the cals...so hopefully this will decrease.

On another note....all this protein is bunging me up like hell....cant have a decent crap....any suggestions?
    Sept - Jan comp

Goal Jan 2014 = 220lbs

Ahhhhh....I had a big deficit...and I held/hold water BIG style....only just bumped the cals...so hopefully this will decrease.

On another note....all this protein is bunging me up like hell....cant have a decent crap....any suggestions?
    lol. More vegetables or fiber pills.

Originally Posted by sparkleys View Post
    lol. More vegetables or fiber pills.
    Or a hammer and a long chissel!
    Sept - Jan comp

Goal Jan 2014 = 220lbs

Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guerilla713 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Suggestion: drink more water. That's what I do all day at work. Keeps me feeling full and I don't hold in much water weight, even at my deficit.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post
    I believe it's only really a problem when you have low body fat. As far as my 'knowledge' goes on this, if the body isn't getting enough calories, it will start to use other things rather than fat as energy in order to preserve itself.

That may be rubbish or broscience, but that's how I've picked it up as. Feel free to set me straight.
    The body will use whatever it can as a fuel source. You're right though, the leaner you get the bigger problem it becomes.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dup15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes, it will slow weight loss down. It will start eating on muscle so it's always best to eat 10-20% below maintenance ( if you do cardio, add the calories burned towards maintenance. )

jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been wondering the same lately. I'm 29, 5'9" and have been doind a cut program for the last 24 days. I started out at 153.4lbs and Monday weighed in at 154.6.bs. My maint. cal. are 2400 so my cut calories are 1900, but i usually take in between 1200-1300/day. I do 20 mins cardio morning and night and lift for 45-60 mins durning lunch on a two day split. Despite not dropping weight there are visable changes in the mirror; my abs are easier to see, dropped back down to wearing 32" jeans instead of the 34", arms chest and legs are more defined and bigger.

So should I change something based on the scale not moving, or stick to what I'm doing based on the mirror results?