roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Indoor Bike Trainer

Anyone here use these. I was thinking that over the winter I would like to take the bike indoors to do some additional cardio.

There seems to be quite a range of prices $70-$400 and types of resistence (fan, magnet or fluid)

I dont need anything super high tech but I also dont want complete junk.

Any suggestions?

Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey, roch ..... first, I'd like to commend you on wanting a "trainer" for your bike instead of getting an "exercise bike" - the way I see it, it's the best of both worlds....you have you're bike to ride outdoors, and you still have the same bike/setup for indoor training. I can't comment on the fluid trainers, as I've never used one, but I've tried my brother's mag trainer, and it's pretty cool - can't remember brand, price, etc, but I DO remember it's really quiet, compared to my old standby I've been using an old windtrainer since, oh, maybe 1980-ish...LOL. Still works flawlessly to this day.....the ONLY drawback is that, when really cranking, the fan is a lil noisy (but you can still hear tv, radio, whatever), but it's somewhat offset by airflow generated by the fan - helps cool ya down a bit, anyway. The best feature is it's absolutely low-tech and virtually zero maintenence (I lube it maybe once at the beginning of the indoor season, and wipe the sweat off the bike/stand, and that's it. I'd imagine the mag- and fluid- would be the same)
    Since mine's so ancient, I don't want toparticularly recommend anything specific, but I bought mine back then from Nashbar (which I think is owned by Performance, these days.....old fashioned catalog order, back in the day...heh).. If I was in the market for a new one, I'd likely go mag or fluid, just for the silence.....in fact, do they even make wind-trainers anymore ???
    Anyway, hopefully someone with more modern experience will chime in .... mine's so old, you remove the front wheel and bolt the forks to a support - makes for a very sturdy set-up....am not quite so fond of the rear-only mount, but....I could get used to it

roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roch is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the info. I believe they do still make the wind resistance ones. A couple people have told me I would be happy with the magnetic seeing it is middle of the road and for how I intend on using it the best bang for my buck.

I think I will have to go to a few bike stores around the are this weekend and check some out.

As far as the mag compared to the wind which did you like better in terms of resistance, as which did you feel was more realistic and smooth?