bottoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes, another "What program is best for me?" Thread

Hello! Hopefully this is the first post of hundreds. Sooner than later I hope to create a Workout Journal here at BB.com to track my progress. The only problem with that plan is that I currently do not have any plan to follow.

Let me begin by giving you a bit of Background about myself. I am about 5'7" and 180 pounds; I am not fat by any means. Last time I checked my 1RM for the BP was about 115. After this coming year of college I will be graduating and looking to pursue a career in Law Enforcement. This means that I need to get myself in good shape. I am currently finishing up Week 7 of the C25K to work on my cardio.*I need to pass (read: crush) the following standards:

Males: 20-29
    Single Bench Press: .96 (172)
    Sit-ups (1 min.): 37
    Push-ups: 27
    1 1/2 mile run: 12:53 min.

Right now I can do about 12 push-ups and the 1 1/2 mile run in about 15. My goal is to be able to pass all of the above fairly easy by May.*I have looked into the Starting Strength program, but I need to continue running to get my time down. From what I have read Running will negatively impact any gains. Is there a strength training program that will get me to where I want to be while allowing me to continue to run?*The more strict the program the better. I like to have a schedule and stick to it.*Any suggestions on what I should (or should not) be following?

Thank you and look forward to updating my progress as I work towards a fufilling career!

ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Being in the military I can tell you theres plenty of guys that are in the gym all the time and can still run. My 2 cents: a good routine, like SS, a good diet and cardio will help you reach that goal.

ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ffbsm85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bottoj View Post
    Is there a strength training program that will get me to where I want to be while allowing me to continue to run?
    In my experience most people still find plently of time for cardio and running on rest days with any good routine.