robotstep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running + Weightlifting = Gain lean muscle + Fat loss?

Hey everyone!

I'm about 18% body fat, and I've been wanting to get to 11-13%.
    I'm about 175 lbs, 6'1", and active.

I started running about 3-4 miles everyday to supplement my 2-3 days of weightlifting each week.
    I've also been keeping track of my daily caloric intake, which comes up to about 1600 calories everyday.

Am I working my body too hard for it to build lean muscle?
    Should I decrease the number of times I run each week or forgo the running altogether?
    Would it be okay to continue my current workout if I just increase my caloric intake?

I look forward to your helpful replies.
    Feel free to pm as well.
    Thanks in advance, everyone!

AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100)
    The way I see it, you don't need to do anything more or less, you will do just fine! Remember the key to success is not always science but dedication! But if you want a tiny advice, just make the weightlifting days 3!
    Oh dear... Is this where I say "Ouch"?
    -Eddie Brock aka Venom (my fav)

Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1600 Cals sounds painfully low. I am your size and take in ~3000 a day WITHOUT any form of cardio.
    At this intake I am not putting on fat.
    I'd say check into the nutrition forum to see about your needs; 1600 seems*abysmally*low to me
    ==Juggernaut Group==
    http://groups.bodybuilding.com/i_am_juggernaut

I'll be satisfied when I'm dead.

AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Skizoman View Post
    1600 Cals sounds painfully low. I am your size and take in ~3000 a day WITHOUT any form of cardio.
    I'd say check into the nutrition forum to see about your needs; 1600 seems*abysmally*low to me
    Yes, think abut your cal intake too! (Raise it, as Skizoman says!)

thanks for the replies anaBULLic and Skizoman.

@anaBULLic: 3x a week. got it. i separated the two days into a) chest, upper back, shoulders. b) biceps, lower back, glutes/hamstrings. any advice on how i should partition my three day workouts? i also do about 3 sets with 12-15 reps. thanks!

@Skizoman: yea, i believe my BMR is about 2500 ~ 3000. i know i could be eating more, but i'm thinking the reduced caloric intake will further help with the body fat goal. maybe i can raise it to about 1800 ~ 2000 to help with the muscle building.

Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skizoman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by robotstep View Post

@Skizoman: yea, i believe my BMR is about 2500 ~ 3000. i know i could be eating more, but i'm thinking the reduced caloric intake will further help with the body fat goal.
    Yes but there are boundaries. Dropping Cals helps but you can get to a certain point where you are losing too much LBM along with your fat. On a cut I usually drop ~500 Cals (daily intake is 2500) which is more than enough. Dropping by almost 1500 seems excessive and not an optimal situation when the goal is bf% decrease ALONG with retaining as much LBM as possible.
    ==Juggernaut Group==
    http://groups.bodybuilding.com/i_am_juggernaut

I'll be satisfied when I'm dead.

@skizoman: sounds good to me. thanks for the input! i'm excited to look through the pantry to see what i can eat for the extra 500 cals!

@anaBULLic: 3x a week. got it. i separated the two days into a) chest, upper back, shoulders. b) biceps, lower back, glutes/hamstrings. any advice on how i should partition my three day workouts? i also do about 3 sets with 12-15 reps. thanks!

@Skizoman: yea, i believe my BMR is about 2500 ~ 3000. i know i could be eating more, but i'm thinking the reduced caloric intake will further help with the body fat goal. maybe i can raise it to about 1800 ~ 2000 to help with the muscle building.
    A nice split is a)chest-triceps b)back-biceps c)legs-shoulders.
    If you find it a bit newbish, try this: a)chest-traps-rear delts b)Middle back-low back-side delts-front delts c)Legs - Arms! The first one seems better to me!

Originally Posted by AnaBULLic View Post
    A nice split is a)chest-triceps b)back-biceps c)legs-shoulders.
    If you find it a bit newbish, try this: a)chest-traps-rear delts b)Middle back-low back-side delts-front delts c)Legs - Arms! The first one seems better to me!
    me too. i'm liking the simplicity of it. i'll start putting that to use and thanks for your help!

aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Skizoman View Post
    This. At 6-1, 175 18% bf, you are skinny-fat. Eat 3000/day, do your running if you like, but definitely hop on a good routine to add some muscle.*

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you need a lot more protein, and some good quality carbs after run and you will be fine.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    you need a lot more protein, and some good quality carbs after run and you will be fine.
    That's the answer I was hoping for: Just eat more.
    Haha. Thanks for the input!

ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryrenner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's the answer I was hoping for: Just eat more.
    Haha. Thanks for the input!
    You could eat more, but you really need to hop on over to the nutrition forums to get an idea for what your body really needs, just how much more you need to eat and still loose weight, and figure out your macros. You'll run into issues keeping any muscle, or building for that matter with that large of a deficit. Should only be doing 15-20% lower than your maintenance intake.*

Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000) Croaker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I really liked this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...digit_body_fat

Even if you don't use that routine, it gives lots of info and an idea on how to program lifting with running.
    "negs suck, dont they? now STFU, save your breath for your blow up doll and go back in your moms basement and watch TUF, snot nosed little boy. oh, and next time ask permission to say anything to me."

-Gomi

JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Both gaining muscle and losing fat is extremely difficult and usually only happens when one or more of the following conditions are met:

Starting out very obese
    Coming off of an injury/large break in working out (in other words, you already had the muscle previously and you are simply gaining it back)
    Crazy Genetics + very good workout/diet
    Drugs

Don't take this as an insult, but aspengc8 is correct: at 175 18% bf, you are skinny-fat. You are setting your sights too high too soon.
    Just focus on one or the other and then maybe consider a solid recomp after a few years of experience... I can almost guarentee that if you try it as you are, you will just be spinning your wheels. I hate being the bearer of negativity, but you should be realistic about it.

I suggest reading Lyle McDonald's FAQ about it:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ng-fat-qa.html

thanks for your posts ryrenner, croaker, and jaymzzz!

i'll take a look at all the posted readings.

croaker: that's a great article. i'm thinking of doing those sprinting work-outs rather than jogging/running.

jaymzzz: this article seems to be about "fat beginners," which i don't think i fall under. i'm 6'1" 175lbs but at ~15% body fat. i've played water polo for 5 years, swam for the past 10 years, and have worked out every month (for the past 7 years) except for the past 3 months (i was traveling around south america). i'm essentially trying to shed a couple of pounds gained from indulging during my travels.