Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magma2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How Much Whey Protein Should I Take?

I've been working out regularly for a few months now, and I'm now hitting some of my heaviest weights. Probably not heavy for most of you guys but damn heavy for me. I'm doing a 5x5 routine 3-4 days per week.

I'm increasing the weights every workout, and I'm getting lots of ache, but visually I don't see much change in my physique. I'm still the same weight as when I started (247lbs).

So I thought I would begin taking a whey protein supp, and I just got delivery of a 4kg bag of good quality powder. The instructions say to add 2-3 scoops of a 70 cc scooper to water or milk, and take it 3 times a day.

But by my understanding, I should be taking 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. So that's 247g of protein, and my food intake should already be supplying much, if not all, of that. So this supp is really just to ensure I have enough protein when its needed, and in a form which is easy to process. So, with that in mind, wouldn't it be better to take a smaller dose say every 3 hours throughout the day. Or something like that? Of do I need to take a larger dose before or after workouts or at certain times? Or does none of it really make much difference?

And surely different sized people need different quantities? So, how do I decide how much to take, and when to take it?

nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz
    As long as you hit your daily protein target (macros) timing for the most part is irrelevant. I highly reccomend reading up on the stickies in the Nutrition forum. It would be very helpful to you

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Magma2011 View Post
    visually I don't see much change in my physique. I'm still the same weight as when I started (247lbs).
    this is diet related.
    focus on your food choices and caloric intake.

my understanding, I should be taking 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. So that's 247g of protein, and my food intake should already be supplying much, if not all, of that.
    1g/lb of bw is fine. some like 1.5g/lb. you're in the right ballpark.

whole foods are always preferable to powders.
    if you are consuming ~250g protein thru whole foods with no effort - congrats!

So, with that in mind, wouldn't it be better to take a smaller dose say every 3 hours throughout the day.
    you could. i like eating every 2.5 - 3hrs myself, be it whole foods or supplemental shakes.
    Or does none of it really make much difference?
    in the grand scheme of things, prolly not.
    you can set up intervals at your own preference.
    i like bigger meals for breakfast/preWO/and postWO.
    everything beyond that i fill in as needed.

And surely different sized people need different quantities?
    surely.

basing protein intake off bw and general activity level will get you your own personal range of intake.

Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Camo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some people take it as soon as they wake up in the morning, some take it pre workout or during or post.
    I personally take a scoop with 10oz water when i wake up in the morning, 1 scoop 1hr after training, and a scoop of casein protein before bed. Generally you want to take in 1-1.5g protein per lb of body weight.
    However dont rely on protein shakes alone, get your proteins from real food like eggs, tuna, chicken, beef...ect because supplements are just that...supplements.
    I this lifetime you dont have to prove nothing to nobody except yourself, and after what you have gone through, if you havent figured that out by now, its never gonna happen.