Registered User straightedg3xxx's Avatar
    straightedg3xxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Only doing Squats, Bench Press, and deadlifts will get you six pack abs.

I heard that mainly doing squats, deadlifts, bench, and rows all the time works your abs, so all you need to do is lose the body fat and a six pack would show. I really dont like doing ab exercises because i like to kill my legs with squats and compound training but now im going to start doing them.

I can see my 4 pack when I suck in my belly fat. I havent done any ab workouts either for the majority of my life. The only place I have fat is on my belly (160 lbs) I have been focused only on adding weight to my bench, squats, deadlifts and rows. I havent missed one week yet for one whole year.*
    I want to get a six pack now, and Im doing my first cut.

Heres my routine:

Mon- Squats, leg exercises
    Tue- Incline bench, Shoulders
    Wed- Off
    Thur- Rows, Deadlifts, lat exercises
    Fri- Work 10 hours
    Sat- Work 10 hours then Do flat bench, bicep curls, light rows. (these are the only excercises I can do when I get off work because Im too tired to do any other)
    Sun- Work 10 hours

So Im thinking of going to do some ab work on Tuesday or should i just stick to do doing hardcore compound training and lose the fat to get the abs.

Last edited by straightedg3xxx; 08-11-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Lelaki Bangunan Seksi LengthyLifter's Avatar
    LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Abs are mostly about low BF. Weighted ab work helps them show at higher BF.

JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I never do ab work directly, just squats/deads and I can start seeing them at pretty high BF for my size. Most people don't need anything more than that but it comes down to the individual.
    As LengthyLifter said, abs are mostly about low BF.

I would say, if you don't like direct ab work, don't worry about it until you've got at least a few years experience and actually know what parts need isolation.
    Then, once you have built up a base you can start identifying your weak parts and working on them.

pendrin2020 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I do abs after every workout. I switch up the exercises when I get bored. Doing them often builds strength quickly for me and it's at least helping me to get over the absolute agony that cable curls and decline sit-ups used to be. My lying leg lifts are painless up until the last couple of reps. THAT ALONE is enough of a reason for me to do it. when the time comes that SERIOUS ab work is necessary, I'll have a lot more to work with than the bare minimum required for stability in other lifts. just ad a couple of sets to the end of every workout, you don't have to blow your gut to smithereens to see results. I work out 3 times a week, I do 4 sets of cable crunches, 4 sets of lying leg lifts, and 4 sets of a side/oblique exercise (it changes all the time). the ab work is considered an add-on for me so I don't feel guilty about quitting before I finish the oblique stuff. The whole process is a great way to make sure I don't leave the gym feeling under-worked LOL.

Lelaki Bangunan Seksi LengthyLifter's Avatar
    LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by pendrin2020 View Post
    when the time comes that SERIOUS ab work is necessary, I'll have a lot more to work with than the bare minimum required for stability in other lifts. just ad a couple of sets to the end of every workout, you don't have to blow your gut to smithereens to see results. I work out 3 times a week, I do 4 sets of cable crunches, 4 sets of lying leg lifts, and 4 sets of a side/oblique exercise
    12 sets, 3x per week is not serious ab work? That's probably time better spent on other things, especially if you're a beginner.

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by pendrin2020 View Post
    I do abs after every workout. I switch up the exercises when I get bored. Doing them often builds strength quickly for me and it's at least helping me to get over the absolute agony that cable curls and decline sit-ups used to be. My lying leg lifts are painless up until the last couple of reps. THAT ALONE is enough of a reason for me to do it. when the time comes that SERIOUS ab work is necessary, I'll have a lot more to work with than the bare minimum required for stability in other lifts. just ad a couple of sets to the end of every workout, you don't have to blow your gut to smithereens to see results. I work out 3 times a week, I do 4 sets of cable crunches, 4 sets of lying leg lifts, and 4 sets of a side/oblique exercise (it changes all the time). the ab work is considered an add-on for me so I don't feel guilty about quitting before I finish the oblique stuff. The whole process is a great way to make sure I don't leave the gym feeling under-worked LOL.
    DO NOT follow this advice OP.

You have it right, stick to your big compound movements. Do what a previous poster said and add in some weighted ab workouts, if needed. I wouldn't do more then 2x a week. No need to IMO.

Build a good, solid core. Do pullups and chinups, slow and controlled and in good fashion. This will get your core strong. Concentrate on that diet if your looking for a six pack.

Also, I just looked over your workout plan. It's ok, but since your new to lifting, I would suggest that instead of making your own routine up, find one of the programs in the stickies that has been proven to work, and follow it. Consistency is key
    www.grazethesky.com

4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100) 4dojo is not very well liked. (-100)
    if you've heard abs are all about low bf, that is part true. However, you also want abs to be large for more definaition. To do this, ab excersises can definately help, but I personally believe that since the abdominals are utilized in many if not most motions, that training with larger muscles group like quats and benching is most effective.
    Give 100% in everything, but never let anything become everything (The Lord is my strength).

dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dariegodd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    coming from a naturally skinny guy ive had to still work for my abs. I started doing 3 sets of 10 crunches with 10 sec in between each set ( multiple times a day) when I was younger. today, I do weighted crunches and oblique exercises like side bends and what not. I love doing abs but I don't do them EVERYDAY . watch your diet and throw in a decent bit of cardio and pace yourself with working abs. don't just do it everyday and not let it recover ( obviously) they will show!.... if your serious about lifting.. its 100% diet and 100% lifting! give it your all

mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As other's have mentioned a big part of getting a six pack is your diet.

Once you have a low body fat % you really start to see your abs. I would also add in a few ab exercises to help strengthen them -- like planks and leg raises. This will not only help you get the "six pack look" your wanting, but it will also help prevent injuries and help make your back stronger.
    5 Best Moves To Getting Cuts Abs:

Go Here >>> http://mikecookrecommends.info/

rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen4a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    doing ab work outs are only going to help you, not hurt you.. especially when done on off days or at the end of work outs.

sick of people saying bf% / diets is main thing for abs.. its not, its ****ing genetics.
    for the people that don't have good genetics, then it is diet. not the other way around

my personal opinion has always been, doing ab work is going to make your abs stronger, not more noticeable.
    and if you want strong abs / core do abs almost everyday. and anyone that says that's over working them, then you know nothing about gymnastics or boxing where a strong core is built with working the muscle everyday.

Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500)
    You are all replying to a 2-year old thread.
    Start/Current/Goal:

Weight: 145/190/205
    1RM Bench: 155/315/365
    1RM Squat: 235/405/495
    Dead-hang Pullups: 3/25/30
    Deadlift: 235/375/495

dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagoettsch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    true