NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)

For the teens participating in sports that want to jump high and run fast!

I just put out another guide, finished it just moments ago, so I figured I'd post it here. Tell me what you think! It's pretty basic and aimed for a beginner audience, so keep that in mind.

Intro
    If you're like me, then there's a lot of information out there that you know now that would have been of tremendous help to you in the past. This happens a lot to me with athletics. One of those many things that I wish I would have known is how to run faster and jump higher. It's said that the best runners are the best jumpers and when you look at what goes into the two it's hard to disagree. In this guide I'll be talking mostly about jumping, but the same things can be applied to running for succcess; you just need to specify a little bit more in the end for running.

A disclaimer: I'm not THAT fast and I don't claim to be, but the info I'm about to relay to you is still true regardless of how fast I am.

The secret to jumping high
    Being explosive. Pure and simple, this is the key to jumping. Being explosive, or powerful, basically means you can put out a lot of force in a very short amount of time. A great example of explosiveness is the vertical jump.

Being explosive comes from being able to produce a lot of force in a little amount of time. This can also be noted as having a good rate of force development (ROFD). A good measure of explosiveness is the vertical jump. This is an exercise that takes about a quarter of a second to complete, so it's important you gather as much force (strength) as you can for the effort.

Unfortunately, it takes a bit longer for us to reach our maximal level of strength, something like 2-3 seconds. Think about it, if you were to max out on bench press or deadlift, how long would that rep take? It certainly wouldn't be fast, that's for sure. The sad thing is we don't have that sort of time in an exercise like the vertical jump or a shot put (or any other explosive activity). So, even though someone may be able to squat 500 pounds, that does not necessarily mean that they will be able to exert 500 pounds of force on their vertical jump attempt, because they don't have enough time to reach their max level of strength, so to speak.

This is where training comes into play. You have to focus on increasing the speed in which you can reach a high level of power output. You do this with plyometric exercises and lifts. So let's say this 500 pound squatter was only able to muster 200 pounds of force in the 1/4th of a second it takes to complete a vertical jump. Through training he could recruit more force at a faster rate, so that later on he could produce 300 pounds in that 1/4th of a second, thus being more explosive.

Lucky for the guy in our example, he had a 500 pound squat. Not everyone is capable of producing such a high amount of force, however. Let's look at the opposite, a guy who CAN produce a high percentage of his maximum force very quickly, but his maximum force is low. We'll say this guy can squat 200 but in 1/4th of a second can produce 90% of that! That's a pretty impressive statistic, but when we look at that, he's only producing 180 pounds of force. The guy from our other example was able to produce less than 50% of his maximum force in the same amount of time, but overall his 200 pounds is greater than this guy's 180 pounds, so he would have a higher vertical, all other things being equal.

So how do I train to be explosive?
    Through the example above it should be clear that it's important to train both aspects of the vertical jump. It's important to increase the max amount of force you can output overall, but it's also important to increase the amount of force you can produce in a short period of time. But how are each of these done?

Increasing max strength
    Strength comes from moving against a resistance, most commonly weights in a gym. It's important to note that we're training our Central Nervous System (CNS) as well as our muscles during this time. Your CNS is what allows you to put all the strength into what you do; it essentially fires your muscles. By training compound lifts such as overhead press, bench press, squat, and deadlift you are training your muscles and CNS to handle heavier loads and increase work capacity. Strength is best trained in the 1-5 rep range on the aforementioned exercises. The loads must be heavy for this, though, or else you're not going to be very productive in your efforts. A great resource for figuring out what you should be doing when training for strengths can be found here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...0&d=1160859106

Also, you can look at my other guide on building muscle for some recommended strength routines.

Increasing ROFD
    Learning to access more of your strength quickly isn't as difficult as you might think. There are so many different ways to do this, but it basically comes down to moving a load (your body or a weight) as fast as you can.

One way to increase ROFD is in the weight room. Some great lifts you can do are speed bench, speed deadlift, box squats, power cleans, and snatches (power cleans and box squats are probably what I'd recommend most).The goal is to complete each rep as fast as possible. The weights will be lighter than you would normally use for strength training, but this is to ensure that the reps are fast, similar to the vertical jump. For speed bench, deadlit, and box squats 6-8 sets of 2-3 is what's normally done. Weights should be around 50-80% of your one rep max; start lighter at first, then work your way up. Cleans and snatches are also done in low reps, usually 1-3. Give yourself enough time in between sets to fully recover. The point of this is to put as much force into each rep as you can, so going into a set tired is counterproductive. You should be fully recovered before attempting the next set. Just remember that each rep MUST be as fast/hard as you can push.

Another way to increase ROFD is through plyometrics. The word has sort of evolved over the years to become a blanket term for any explosive movement. Many years ago plyometrics referred to 2 movements in particular: depth drops (stepping off of an elevated surface and "sticking" the landing) and depth jumps (stepping off an elevated surface and then performing a vertical jump). These were used by the Russians in the early 70s to make their incredible athletes of that era. These are now referred to as true plyometrics, while everything else is blanketed under the general term of "plyos". A good list of plyos can be found here:
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html

As with increasing ROFD in the weightroom, when it comes to plyos the reps must be SHORT and EXPLOSIVE! Doing 20 reps of broad jumps with 30 seconds of rest won't do much more than make you tired. It's good conditioning, yes, but for our goal of inreasing power it contributes nothing. Reps can be a little higher than what's used in the weightroom since the load is lighter, but you still shouldn't go too high. This is very dependant upon the intensity of the plyometric exercise you're doing. If it's low intensity, then 10-15 reps or even more is fine. But for medium and high intensity exercises the reps should be lower. 3-8 is a good range. As for the amount of sets you should do, that can vary. If you're doing more reps, then you should lower sets. When in the 3-8 rep range try to stay between 15-25 total reps for each exercise. For the higher rep ones 2-4 sets is fine. Make sure you rest until you're fully recovered between sets.

When making your plyo routine there are a few things you should keep in mind: 1. Just as with strength training, you shouldn't train too often. Three days a week is plenty; personally I'd only do two. 2. Don't overload your routine with a bunch of high intensity exercises. That's a good way to burn out and overtain your CNS. Your routine must be balanced with low, medium, AND high intensity exercises.

So, how do I run fast?
    By doing all of the above! As well as simply running. You have to practice the event you want to get good at. There's training for acceleration, your top speed, conditioning to maintain that top speed, and conditioning to run for a longer period of time at a lower energy state (what most people simply refer to as conditioning).

To train acceleration your sprints don't have to be too long. 10-30 yards, maybe 40 max. Make sure your giving yourself full rest so you can push as hard as you can for the next time. If you're not training at your maximal effort each time, then you're not helping yourself get faster, just more "in shape".

The fastest way to increase your top speed is to get perfect form, or as close to it as you can. I can't give insight on great form, because I don't quite have it myself, so that's something you'll have to look up. I do, however, have a great video to show great form:

Aside from that, increasing ROFD is how you can increase your speed.

To condition yourself to maintain that top speed you can simply do longer sprints than we used when working acceleration. However long it takes you to reach top speed and 20+ yards is what you should use. For example, if it takes me 30 yards to reach top speed I would work with 50 yards (after a while I could increase this to 80 or so after I got conditioned to it).

Conditioning for sub maximal levels of speed is probably the most simple. Do a lot of running at 50-80% of your max effort with little rest.

Be flexible!
    When it comes to running and jumping it pays to be flexible. A bigger range of motion (ROM) means that you can run faster and jump higher. There is such a thing as being too flexible, but most of us won't have to worry about getting to that level. It pays to stretch. Look up DeFranco's Agile 8 for a good routine.

That's all I got for ya
    That's really all I can think of explaining. If you have any questions I'll try my best to answer.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    I just put out another guide, finished it just moments ago, so I figured I'd post it here. Tell me what you think! It's pretty basic and aimed for a beginner audience, so keep that in mind.

Intro
    If you're like me, then there's a lot of information out there that you know now that would have been of tremendous help to you in the past. This happens a lot to me with athletics. One of those many things that I wish I would have known is how to run faster and jump higher. It's said that the best runners are the best jumpers and when you look at what goes into the two it's hard to disagree. In this guide I'll be talking mostly about jumping, but the same things can be applied to running for succcess; you just need to specify a little bit more in the end for running.

A disclaimer: I'm not THAT fast and I don't claim to be, but the info I'm about to relay to you is still true regardless of how fast I am.

The secret to jumping high
    Being explosive. Pure and simple, this is the key to jumping. Being explosive, or powerful, basically means you can put out a lot of force in a very short amount of time. A great example of explosiveness is the vertical jump.

Being explosive comes from being able to produce a lot of force in a little amount of time. This can also be noted as having a good rate of force development (ROFD). A good measure of explosiveness is the vertical jump. This is an exercise that takes about a quarter of a second to complete, so it's important you gather as much force (strength) as you can for the effort.

Unfortunately, it takes a bit longer for us to reach our maximal level of strength, something like 2-3 seconds. Think about it, if you were to max out on bench press or deadlift, how long would that rep take? It certainly wouldn't be fast, that's for sure. The sad thing is we don't have that sort of time in an exercise like the vertical jump or a shot put (or any other explosive activity). So, even though someone may be able to squat 500 pounds, that does not necessarily mean that they will be able to exert 500 pounds of force on their vertical jump attempt, because they don't have enough time to reach their max level of strength, so to speak.

This is where training comes into play. You have to focus on increasing the speed in which you can reach a high level of power output. You do this with plyometric exercises and lifts. So let's say this 500 pound squatter was only able to muster 200 pounds of force in the 1/4th of a second it takes to complete a vertical jump. Through training he could recruit more force at a faster rate, so that later on he could produce 300 pounds in that 1/4th of a second, thus being more explosive.

Lucky for the guy in our example, he had a 500 pound squat. Not everyone is capable of producing such a high amount of force, however. Let's look at the opposite, a guy who CAN produce a high percentage of his maximum force very quickly, but his maximum force is low. We'll say this guy can squat 200 but in 1/4th of a second can produce 90% of that! That's a pretty impressive statistic, but when we look at that, he's only producing 180 pounds of force. The guy from our other example was able to produce less than 50% of his maximum force in the same amount of time, but overall his 200 pounds is greater than this guy's 180 pounds, so he would have a higher vertical, all other things being equal.

So how do I train to be explosive?
    Through the example above it should be clear that it's important to train both aspects of the vertical jump. It's important to increase the max amount of force you can output overall, but it's also important to increase the amount of force you can produce in a short period of time. But how are each of these done?

Increasing max strength
    Strength comes from moving against a resistance, most commonly weights in a gym. It's important to note that we're training our Central Nervous System (CNS) as well as our muscles during this time. Your CNS is what allows you to put all the strength into what you do; it essentially fires your muscles. By training compound lifts such as overhead press, bench press, squat, and deadlift you are training your muscles and CNS to handle heavier loads and increase work capacity. Strength is best trained in the 1-5 rep range on the aforementioned exercises. The loads must be heavy for this, though, or else you're not going to be very productive in your efforts. A great resource for figuring out what you should be doing when training for strengths can be found here:

Also, you can look at my other guide on building muscle for some recommended strength routines.

Increasing ROFD
    Learning to access more of your strength quickly isn't as difficult as you might think. There are so many different ways to do this, but it basically comes down to moving a load (your body or a weight) as fast as you can.

One way to increase ROFD is in the weight room. Some great lifts you can do are speed bench, speed deadlift, box squats, power cleans, and snatches (power cleans and box squats are probably what I'd recommend most).The goal is to complete each rep as fast as possible. The weights will be lighter than you would normally use for strength training, but this is to ensure that the reps are fast, similar to the vertical jump. For speed bench, deadlit, and box squats 6-8 sets of 2-3 is what's normally done. Weights should be around 50-80% of your one rep max; start lighter at first, then work your way up. Cleans and snatches are also done in low reps, usually 1-3. Give yourself enough time in between sets to fully recover. The point of this is to put as much force into each rep as you can, so going into a set tired is counterproductive. You should be fully recovered before attempting the next set. Just remember that each rep MUST be as fast/hard as you can push.

Another way to increase ROFD is through plyometrics. The word has sort of evolved over the years to become a blanket term for any explosive movement. Many years ago plyometrics referred to 2 movements in particular: depth drops (stepping off of an elevated surface and "sticking" the landing) and depth jumps (stepping off an elevated surface and then performing a vertical jump). These were used by the Russians in the early 70s to make their incredible athletes of that era. These are now referred to as true plyometrics, while everything else is blanketed under the general term of "plyos". A good list of plyos can be found here:

As with increasing ROFD in the weightroom, when it comes to plyos the reps must be SHORT and EXPLOSIVE! Doing 20 reps of broad jumps with 30 seconds of rest won't do much more than make you tired. It's good conditioning, yes, but for our goal of inreasing power it contributes nothing. Reps can be a little higher than what's used in the weightroom since the load is lighter, but you still shouldn't go too high. This is very dependant upon the intensity of the plyometric exercise you're doing. If it's low intensity, then 10-15 reps or even more is fine. But for medium and high intensity exercises the reps should be lower. 3-8 is a good range. As for the amount of sets you should do, that can vary. If you're doing more reps, then you should lower sets. When in the 3-8 rep range try to stay between 15-25 total reps for each exercise. For the higher rep ones 2-4 sets is fine. Make sure you rest until you're fully recovered between sets.

When making your plyo routine there are a few things you should keep in mind: 1. Just as with strength training, you shouldn't train too often. Three days a week is plenty; personally I'd only do two. 2. Don't overload your routine with a bunch of high intensity exercises. That's a good way to burn out and overtain your CNS. Your routine must be balanced with low, medium, AND high intensity exercises.

So, how do I run fast?
    By doing all of the above! As well as simply running. You have to practice the event you want to get good at. There's training for acceleration, your top speed, conditioning to maintain that top speed, and conditioning to run for a longer period of time at a lower energy state (what most people simply refer to as conditioning).

To train acceleration your sprints don't have to be too long. 10-30 yards, maybe 40 max. Make sure your giving yourself full rest so you can push as hard as you can for the next time. If you're not training at your maximal effort each time, then you're not helping yourself get faster, just more "in shape".

The fastest way to increase your top speed is to get perfect form, or as close to it as you can. I can't give insight on great form, because I don't quite have it myself, so that's something you'll have to look up. I do, however, have a great video to show great form:

Aside from that, increasing ROFD is how you can increase your speed.

To condition yourself to maintain that top speed you can simply do longer sprints than we used when working acceleration. However long it takes you to reach top speed and 20+ yards is what you should use. For example, if it takes me 30 yards to reach top speed I would work with 50 yards (after a while I could increase this to 80 or so after I got conditioned to it).

Conditioning for sub maximal levels of speed is probably the most simple. Do a lot of running at 50-80% of your max effort with little rest.

Be flexible!
    When it comes to running and jumping it pays to be flexible. A bigger range of motion (ROM) means that you can run faster and jump higher. There is such a thing as being too flexible, but most of us won't have to worry about getting to that level. It pays to stretch. Look up DeFranco's Agile 8 for a good routine.

That's all I got for ya
    That's really all I can think of explaining. If you have any questions I'll try my best to answer.
    Dude this looks great thanks for the info. This year i am going to be doing the 100m and 200m for track and field. Im already pretty fast, but i want to get into tip top shape and stuff before starting. What should a good routine look like?

lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lajoo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Half way through reading,great post man,rep'd.
    The limits of the body and mind are unknown to most people.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KingofLifts View Post
    Dude this looks great thanks for the info. This year i am going to be doing the 100m and 200m for track and field. Im already pretty fast, but i want to get into tip top shape and stuff before starting. What should a good routine look like?
    No problem. What type of routine are you talking about? Sprinting? Plyos? Lifting? If you're talking about lifting then I can suggest routines, but for the others I don't really have any set routines. I have some plyo routines you can actually do, though, but they're in the form of a PDF of a book called The Vertical Jump Bible. I could send that to you if you want.

Originally Posted by lajoo View Post
    Half way through reading,great post man,rep'd.
    Thanks, brah!
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Frobak95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice thread ;D loong , but usefull ^^
    Dont listen to the hatin ***s - Do your shi* and succeed with pride.
    100% reason to remember the name.

Strength is the product of struggle. You must do what others don't to achieve what others won't.

KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah i repped btw, umm yeah kind of a mix between lifting and plyo routines, as i really want to get faster.

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Heyyy I know newbie!!!

Great thread!!!!
    ~ ♥♥ angelus mortis, et medicus damnatorum ♥♥ ~

pignus aeternae gloriae et honoris

umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50) lostskittles will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pretty sure all you have to do is Madcows and eat alot.
    U of Ark crew

umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lostskittles View Post
    Pretty sure all you have to do is Madcows and eat alot.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lostskittles again.

Yeah i repped btw, umm yeah kind of a mix between lifting and plyo routines, as i really want to get faster.
    Like I said, for the plyo routine I can send you the vertical jump bible if you PM me an email address. As for routines, check the other guide in my sig and go to the bulking section.

Originally Posted by umad******* View Post
    Folks, this is an example of someone who didn't follow my guide. *Don't be like her.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    well desrved bump. read this for a 2nd or 3rd time to assemble my offseason plyo/speed routine. thanks a lot newbiee

Originally Posted by Nood View Post
    well desrved bump. read this for a 2nd or 3rd time to assemble my offseason plyo/speed routine. thanks a lot newbiee
    Thanks bro! I forgot about this thing lol

For those looking for even more info here's the best resource I've found to date on athletics:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html

read away!
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    great thread dude! How many times per week should i add sprints? Maybe 2 off days? And how many sets of short sprints should i do? i want to get faster, stronger...and can i still get a lot faster while getting bigger? also Repped.
    Lifetime PR's

Squat 445 w/ wraps (405 raw no wraps)
    Competition Bench 275
    Deadlift 435

Training Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177139451

Originally Posted by musclehead09 View Post
    great thread dude! How many times per week should i add sprints? Maybe 2 off days? And how many sets of short sprints should i do? i want to get faster, stronger...and can i still get a lot faster while getting bigger? also Repped.
    2 is fine. I know less about recommendations for sets, but I imagine between 3-8 is ideal. You can definitely get faster while you get bigger, you just have to train right. I used to be my fastest last year when I was in season for ultimate frisbee...then I stopped playing and gained 15 pounds (a lot of muscle, mind you...but still, not used to all this weight). I started incorporating power exercises like speed bench, pause squats, and push press recently, and it's really helped me. I haven't ran in a very long time, but my vertical has increased (few weeks ago I couldn't touch rim, a couple days ago I was able to). So I'm confident I'm faster now than I was. You just have to remember as you add muscle mass you have to teach it how to fire quickly under the conditions you want it to. ALSO as you get bigger don't forget to stretch!! We don't want tight muscles when we run, we want relaxed so force is transferred easily!
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    2 is fine. I know less about recommendations for sets, but I imagine between 3-8 is ideal. You can definitely get faster while you get bigger, you just have to train right. I used to be my fastest last year when I was in season for ultimate frisbee...then I stopped playing and gained 15 pounds (a lot of muscle, mind you...but still, not used to all this weight). I started incorporating power exercises like speed bench, pause squats, and push press recently, and it's really helped me. I haven't ran in a very long time, but my vertical has increased (few weeks ago I couldn't touch rim, a couple days ago I was able to). So I'm confident I'm faster now than I was. You just have to remember as you add muscle mass you have to teach it how to fire quickly under the conditions you want it to. ALSO as you get bigger don't forget to stretch!! We don't want tight muscles when we run, we want relaxed so force is transferred easily!
    okay dude. i took a jog with my girlfriend and my best friend tonight for the first time in forever and it was really easy even tho ive gained 11 lbs in the past month and a half. i wanna start sprinting cuz i wanna be a lot faster short distance, my long distance is fine. So I'll do it on 2 off days and add a set every time i go. thanks man. def gonna stretch.
    Lifetime PR's

Squat 445 w/ wraps (405 raw no wraps)
    Competition Bench 275
    Deadlift 435

Training Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177139451

Registered User silentkiller424's Avatar
    silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) silentkiller424 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Inject roidzz brah...ull be the fastest bitch out there lul

tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for writing this up. Solid info. Keep it up.

tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuura007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks bro! I forgot about this thing lol

For those looking for even more info here's the best resource I've found to date on athletics:

read away!
    Nice! Thanks!

Do a Needs Analysis - if you're relatively weak, focus on strength. If you're relatively strong, focus on power/speed. Strength really feeds everything as power/speed training is more effective for the strong. Build a huge strength base and maintain it.

Registered User FluffyChapstick's Avatar
    FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50) FluffyChapstick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For plyos, which ones can you recommend for me to do and how frequent? I've seen overtimeathletes on youtube, how do I incorporate them drills? There's a bunch of variety online so I cant really program it...
    Heavy Metal crew*
    Whole Milk crew*
    Art of Manliness crew*
    A Book A Week crew*