wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How long will it take before noticing changes in my glutes?

I started working out about 3 months ago in the gym. My routine didn't get consistent (regarding the exercises) until around a month ago. So far, I don't really notice any changes. My routine is MWF:
    1) Butt blaster (for glute activation after stretching) 87.5lbs 3 sets
    2) Hip abduction 85lbs 3 sets of 8.
    3) Wide-stance squats, below parallel 5 sets of 8 at 85lbs
    4) lunges 55lbs 3 sets of 8
    5) Regular deadlifts 3 sets of 8 at 65lbs. I add weight each time; I sound so weak but I just started working out with heavy weights. Hope to be able to squat my bodyweight by or before the end of the year. I'm going to add weighted Glute Bridges/Hip Thrusts when I get a barpad, my gym doesn't have one and also Cable Kick-backs when I get an ankle-strap, my gym doesn't have one of those either. How long before noticing changes in shape/size/lift/feel? Also, how do you build a round curve at the upper sides of the butt like Pauline Nordin has in this pic: http://fighterdiet.com/blog/wp-conte...8931_7002.jpg? Thanks

Ditched the hooker heels! elainedeluca's Avatar
    elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wxy228 View Post
    I started working out about 3 months ago in the gym. My routine didn't get consistent (regarding the exercises) until around a month ago. So far, I don't really notice any changes. My routine is MWF:
    1) Butt blaster (for glute activation after stretching) 87.5lbs 3 sets
    2) Hip abduction 85lbs 3 sets of 8.
    3) Wide-stance squats, below parallel 5 sets of 8 at 85lbs
    4) lunges 55lbs 3 sets of 8
    5) Regular deadlifts 3 sets of 8 at 65lbs. I add weight each time; I sound so weak but I just started working out with heavy weights. Hope to be able to squat my bodyweight by or before the end of the year. I'm going to add weighted Glute Bridges/Hip Thrusts when I get a barpad, my gym doesn't have one and also Cable Kick-backs when I get an ankle-strap, my gym doesn't have one of those either. How long before noticing changes in shape/size/lift/feel? Also, how do you build a round curve at the upper sides of the butt like Pauline Nordin has in this pic: http://fighterdiet.com/blog/wp-conte...8931_7002.jpg? Thanks
    I am having a case of deja vu, lol. I just responded to another poster about quad definition....

Anyway, the bottom line is that many women hang onto fat in the legs/glutes and in many cases, is the last place to see any noticeable change. Your leg routine looks good, though legs 3x/week is overtraining. *Over time you WILL be able to do more weight....just focus on what you can do now, not what the person next to you is doing.

You don't mention your diet...you will only see results if your diet is in check. *As it has been said many times before on this forum, "You can't out train a bad diet".
    ********: http://www.********.com/Chickthatlifts
    ******** Fan Page: http://www.********.com/ChickThatLiftsElaineDeLuca
    Twitter: @chickthatlifts
    Blog: http://www.chickthatlifts.com

Top Secret Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Dedication + motivation = annihilation
    Live, love, lift

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by elainedeluca View Post
    I am having a case of deja vu, lol. I just responded to another poster about quad definition....

Anyway, the bottom line is that many women hang onto fat in the legs/glutes and in many cases, is the last place to see any noticeable change. Your leg routine looks good, though legs 3x/week is overtraining. *Over time you WILL be able to do more weight....just focus on what you can do now, not what the person next to you is doing.

You don't mention your diet...you will only see results if your diet is in check. *As it has been said many times before on this forum, "You can't out train a bad diet".
    I disagree with legs 3x/week being overtraining (I train fullbody 3x/week, so legs AND push AND pull AND assistance work all in the one session, and my lower body is yet to display any signs of overtraining) ...but in saying that I think OP can cull the fiddley isolation exercises - just do high frequency squats, alternate between deadlifts and lunges, and maybe do a relatively light glute activation exercise to make sure she's actually using her glutes, since oftentimes we either don't use our glutes or we don't use them efficiently until we learn to use them.

ETA: OP, as far as building a "round curve at the upper sides of the butt" goes, just learn to use your glutes, get stronger, and eat at a slight calorie surplus to allow the glutes to grow. In time the glutes will grow to be round and lifted. It's very unlikely that you'll ever need to do any special exercise to make that happen - your squats, deadlifts, lunges, appropriate eating and consistent effort over time will give your glutes all they need, so long as you actually use your glutes when you squat, lunge and deadlift.
    Last edited by rdferguson; 08-08-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I disagree with legs 3x/week being overtraining (I train fullbody 3x/week, so legs AND push AND pull AND assistance work all in the one session, and my lower body is yet to display any signs of overtraining) ...but in saying that I think OP can cull the fiddley isolation exercises - just do high frequency squats, alternate between deadlifts and lunges, and maybe do a relatively light glute activation exercise to make sure she's actually using her glutes, since oftentimes we either don't use our glutes or we don't use them efficiently until we learn to use them.

ETA: OP, as far as building a "round curve at the upper sides of the butt" goes, just learn to use your glutes, get stronger, and eat at a slight calorie surplus to allow the glutes to grow. In time the glutes will grow to be round and lifted. It's very unlikely that you'll ever need to do any special exercise to make that happen - your squats, deadlifts, lunges, appropriate eating and consistent effort over time will give your glutes all they need, so long as you actually use your glutes when you squat, lunge and deadlift.
    I have to disagree. Doing a full leg workout like the one the OP is describing 3x/week is not giving her enough time for rest & recovery. *There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a full body workout 3x/week, but keeping it to 2 compound leg exercises (such as squats & lunges) for 2 workouts and incorporate some of the isolation (like calves and ab/adductors) in the 3rd.

Live, love, lift

Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Maxime1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have to disagree. Doing a full leg workout like the one the op is describing 3x/week is not giving her enough time for rest & recovery. *there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a full body workout 3x/week, but keeping it to 2 compound leg exercises (such as squats & lunges) for 2 workouts and incorporate some of the isolation (like calves and ab/adductors) in the 3rd.

^this!
    He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.

Muhammad Ali

"For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer" - Arnold

wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wxy228 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

More questions

I am having a case of deja vu, lol. I just responded to another poster about quad definition.... Anyway, the bottom line is that many women hang onto fat in the legs/glutes and in many cases, is the last place to see any noticeable change. Your leg routine looks good, though legs 3x/week is overtraining. *Over time you WILL be able to do more weight....just focus on what you can do now, not what the person next to you is doing. You don't mention your diet...you will only see results if your diet is in check. *As it has been said many times before on this forum, "You can't out train a bad diet".
    So would it be ok to still do legs 3x week, but maybe cut down on the exercises one day? Like only do 2 exercises (Squats & Deads) on Friday? What would happen if I was overtraining my legs?

Also, my diet is decent. I don't eat anything bad for me, it's all nutritious food but I feel like I could be eating more protein and less carbs. I don't supplement either, is that necessary? Are there any really good forum topics on diet here? Thanks for responding everyone!

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If OP wants the most bang for her buck on training lower body 3x a week as a beginner, she should look towards Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. 3x a week heavy progressive squatting with some deadlifting.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have to disagree. Doing a full leg workout like the one the OP is describing 3x/week is not giving her enough time for rest & recovery. *There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a full body workout 3x/week, but keeping it to 2 compound leg exercises (such as squats & lunges) for 2 workouts and incorporate some of the isolation (like calves and ab/adductors) in the 3rd.
    Then we don't actually disagree with each other, it's just semantics We both agree that she should either reduce the frequency of training, or reduce the number of exercises. I'm more in favour of the latter. I don't know which one you're more in favour of, but (butt? hehe) in the big scheme of things it probably doesn't matter one way or the other.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Then we don't actually disagree with each other, it's just semantics We both agree that she should either reduce the frequency of training, or reduce the number of exercises. I'm more in favour of the latter. I don't know which one you're more in favour of, but (butt? hehe) in the big scheme of things it probably doesn't matter one way or the other.
    Ok, so I can do 3x a week, but just less exercises? Can I do the same amount of exercises on M & F then W do only 2 or something? Or is that still too much?

Originally Posted by wxy228 View Post
    Ok, so I can do 3x a week, but just less exercises? Can I do the same amount of exercises on M & F then W do only 2 or something? Or is that still too much?
    I think what we're recommending is take the exercises the comprise your entire leg workout and split them amongst the 3 days/week you are in the gym. So for instance, squats and lunges Monday, Deadlifts on Wednesday, Butt Blaster and Ad/Abduction on Friday.

I am personally not a fan of doing squats and deads on the same day, as they are intense exercises that tax the body--too much risk for injury due to fatigue. I prefer to incorporate deads when I focus on back training, but since you do a 3 day split, I would put them in between days you are doing leg exercises. When doing full-body training, you should keep it to 2 exercises per muscle group and keep switching them around throughout the week. So if you do barbell bench on Monday, do incline dumbbell presses on Wednesday and cable flyes on Friday--get my meaning?

Hope this helps!

Live, love, lift