Registered User MagnificentJess's Avatar
    MagnificentJess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Building/nutrition with Celiacs

hello! My name is Jess, and i've recently begun rearranging my life/training. I am not new to training, I began taekwondo at the ripe old age of 6yrs, and began competition fighting around age 9, doing numerous tourneys a year up until age 17. I was in a very bad car accident at 19 which left me unable to jump (both knees hit the dash, slammed my right ankle, right wrist, messed up my hip, and broke a rib) which meant taekwondo was pretty much over for me. it took me 4 years to be able to run again without pain. (i still have hip alignment issues and a bad ankle that i've been in and out of therapy for, but nothing makes a permanent difference) I began working with a personal trainer last spring ('10) and recently got AAAI/ISMA certified as a personal fitness trainer. I do not feel that i know enough yet to actually start training people, but I wanted to take the workshop anyways. I have been talking to a lot of people about maybe training to compete. I know my bf% is too high right now, and I just moved from the east coast to west coast last week, (driving) so i haven't really been training at all for the past 2 1/2 weeks (it's killing me that i do not have a gym membership! but finding a job comes first!) I love training, but I am having serious trouble with the nutrition section. I have celiacs. this means NO WHEAT, NO BARLEY, NO RYE. I am also allergic to Soy Milk, Avocado, Peaches, Cherries, carrots, apple, walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, raw peanuts, nectarines, and radishes. I guess that might be the easiest thing for my boyfriend to adjust to if i did change my training to eventually compete, he's used to me causing a fuss every time we go to a restaurant! Now, when I say I want to compete, this is a long term goal. I know it won't be this year, maybe not even next year, maybe not for a while. I just want it to happen before I hit 30 I'm 25 right now. I have a friend who is a few steps ahead of me in this journey, and we talk about supplements and diet all the time, but then i pick up the package, read the nutrition facts, and find out I can't have it. HELP!!!

I guess what i'm really asking is, is there anyone out there with celiacs who can point me in the right direction?

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MagnificentJess View Post
    I guess what i'm really asking is, is there anyone out there with celiacs who can point me in the right direction?
    Hi fellow Celiac!**First things first, you don't need any supplements. *A lot of people get everything they need from their diets, and even though yours is more restricted than most, you can still do it. *I might consider investing in a gluten free/Celiac friendly multivitamin (a lot use gluten for filler) which shouldn't be too hard to find, because of your allergies might be a little limiting in your access to certain vitamins, but it's really not that important, unless you discover you have any sort of deficiency.*

Protein is the big thing for building, and you can do that all from whole foods. *So long as you eat meat, you can get all you need from it without ever needing to touch a protein powder. *They do make gluten free protein powder, which I have, but honestly, whole foods are more satisfying (and less expensive). *The biggest thing is making sure you don't have any contaminated (with gluten) food, because that will ruin your calorie consumption for the day/week (depending on how sensitive you are) - and if you're trying to build muscle, you want those calories and that protein to stay in you and be useful, not just washed out of your intestines. :/*

Basically, don't worry about supplements unless you find it hard to get something in your diet. *A good nutrition store should have Celiac friendly products, but ordering things online is also easy (and sometimes cheaper). *Focus on your calories and macros (protein, fats, carbs) from sources you know you can eat without harming yourself and lift heavy.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

Originally Posted by goalorientgirl View Post
    Hi fellow Celiac!**First things first, you don't need any supplements. *A lot of people get everything they need from their diets, and even though yours is more restricted than most, you can still do it. *I might consider investing in a gluten free/Celiac friendly multivitamin (a lot use gluten for filler) which shouldn't be too hard to find, because of your allergies might be a little limiting in your access to certain vitamins, but it's really not that important, unless you discover you have any sort of deficiency.*

Protein is the big thing for building, and you can do that all from whole foods. *So long as you eat meat, you can get all you need from it without ever needing to touch a protein powder. *They do make gluten free protein powder, which I have, but honestly, whole foods are more satisfying (and less expensive). *The biggest thing is making sure you don't have any contaminated (with gluten) food, because that will ruin your calorie consumption for the day/week (depending on how sensitive you are) - and if you're trying to build muscle, you want those calories and that protein to stay in you and be useful, not just washed out of your intestines. :/*

Basically, don't worry about supplements unless you find it hard to get something in your diet. *A good nutrition store should have Celiac friendly products, but ordering things online is also easy (and sometimes cheaper). *Focus on your calories and macros (protein, fats, carbs) from sources you know you can eat without harming yourself and lift heavy.
    i'm not super sensitive, thank god. I just have trouble following most of the meal plans i see. It gets really frustrating sometimes. I wish i could afford to just have someone cook for me! haha

elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Another celiac right here. Although I am like 80% better then I was 3 years ago.

Things do not change much, you just have to find other carb choices. Also, since most supps and powders are fake (all?) just stay away from them for now. You don't need them anyways. Eating whole food is better because you get all the nutrients and they fill you up.

If you want a protein powder I recommend Dr.Mercola's Pea Protein ... nasty as heck but it gets the job done (I've used it in the past to up my protein). It is all natural and doesn't affect me at all. You can also make your own protein shake with fresh egg whites.

You've got a lot of allergies there girl. Go get the book called 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' by Elaine Gottshall. It is the best book EVER for healing your body of digestive disorders. Like seriously, this women saved my life. I was sooo sick and had tons of food allergies like you but after I did this diet strictly for 1 year I can eat pretty much any natural, whole food. Even wheat, rye, rice, barley, oats. Things I had to stay away from. Your body should not be allergic to so much like that and really, it's not an allergy. It's an immune reaction because of the damage the celiac has done. Try to find the book it will help huge.
    Romans 8:24, 'We were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?'.

How am I today? I'm truly blessed!

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.

Originally Posted by elaina08 View Post
    Another celiac right here. Although I am like 80% better then I was 3 years ago.

Things do not change much, you just have to find other carb choices. Also, since most supps and powders are fake (all?) just stay away from them for now. You don't need them anyways. Eating whole food is better because you get all the nutrients and they fill you up.

If you want a protein powder I recommend Dr.Mercola's Pea Protein ... nasty as heck but it gets the job done (I've used it in the past to up my protein). It is all natural and doesn't affect me at all. You can also make your own protein shake with fresh egg whites.

You've got a lot of allergies there girl. Go get the book called 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' by Elaine Gottshall. It is the best book EVER for healing your body of digestive disorders. Like seriously, this women saved my life. I was sooo sick and had tons of food allergies like you but after I did this diet strictly for 1 year I can eat pretty much any natural, whole food. Even wheat, rye, rice, barley, oats. Things I had to stay away from. Your body should not be allergic to so much like that and really, it's not an allergy. It's an immune reaction because of the damage the celiac has done. Try to find the book it will help huge.
    yeah, i've been told this is "fixable" to a point. The Carrot/peach/cherry/apple allergies are actual allergies sadly, we're talking full on hives, swelling etc, since i was a little kid. Others developed later in life (like the nut allergies) and my dr suspected they were due to the celiacs. Peanuts make me vomit, which is not fun. I also have the added benefit of having been 6wks premature, so for years they thought my issues were due to poor development.

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not a celiac but definitely have gluten and dairy sensitivities. I have ulcerative colitis, which I manage through minimal meds, natural supplements and dietary modifications. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet was also very helpful for me, but I used it more as a jumping off point. There were allowable foods that didn't agree with me and forbidden foods that weren't a problem. But basically, it's a non-grain low carb diet which is excellent for health and body building.

Your problem is where you said, "I pick up the package, read the nutrition facts..." It's frustrating and it's inconvenient, but with your food issues, you'll do better sticking to the basics and avoiding prepackaged foods as much as possible. Lean meats, low carb veggies, eggs, fruit and healthy fats - Udo's, flax, olive - will be your core. Experiment with gluten-free prepared foods in moderation when you get a craving. There are some tasty muffins, cookies, etc. you can use as treats.

I agree that alot of supplements aren't necessary to success, but you may want to try l-glutamine - good for gut health and muscle building - and I like Jay Robb's egg white protein powder that's sweetened with stevia. A good, high quality probiotic can be extremely helpful, too, for improved gut health and better digestion.

Keep a food diary to track what you're eating and when you have reactions.

Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
    Not a celiac but definitely have gluten and dairy sensitivities. I have ulcerative colitis, which I manage through minimal meds, natural supplements and dietary modifications. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet was also very helpful for me, but I used it more as a jumping off point. There were allowable foods that didn't agree with me and forbidden foods that weren't a problem. But basically, it's a non-grain low carb diet which is excellent for health and body building.

Your problem is where you said, "I pick up the package, read the nutrition facts..." It's frustrating and it's inconvenient, but with your food issues, you'll do better sticking to the basics and avoiding prepackaged foods as much as possible. Lean meats, low carb veggies, eggs, fruit and healthy fats - Udo's, flax, olive - will be your core. Experiment with gluten-free prepared foods in moderation when you get a craving. There are some tasty muffins, cookies, etc. you can use as treats.

I agree that alot of supplements aren't necessary to success, but you may want to try l-glutamine - good for gut health and muscle building - and I like Jay Robb's egg white protein powder that's sweetened with stevia. A good, high quality probiotic can be extremely helpful, too, for improved gut health and better digestion.

Keep a food diary to track what you're eating and when you have reactions.
    Thank you! I like katzglutenfree.com for when i order prepackaged gluten free goodies, their cupcakes and cinnamon rolls are to die for! and i <3 their raspberry cookies. granted they are not low cal, but i order them so infrequently that i ration them and keep them in my freezer for months! lol

I have probiotics and they seem to help a lot, i also make sure to eat a lot of live culture yogurt

my biggest problem right now is that i literally JUST moved to LA and can't seem to find a job, and the bf won't let me join a gym until i have one. i'm working with my resistance bands and such at home, but i just can't hit that high weight/intensity. I've put in applications at every gym i can find, and i'm thinking maybe i should just apply to trader joes too, that way i can get discounts on all these whole foods i have to eat.

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That's good thinking... get healthy food and supplements at a discount!

Don't worry too much about this hiatus. Muscle memory will kick in and you should be able to get back into shape quickly if you do lose some muscle.

WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WDW120904 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gluten intolerant over here, too...and soy, yeast, broccoli, tons of other stuff. I couldn't even have chicken for a while. I feel your pain. I never bothered getting tested for CD because I don't have a problem keeping gluten out of my diet for life.

Stick to real whole foods- high quality meats (grass fed, pastured if possible) and eggs from a good source. Most with CD can handle other grains, which usually have a higher nutritional value anyway- buckwheat, quinoa, stuff like that. If you're looking to get in extra calories coconut oil and real coconut milk are helpful. You can also use coconut flour. I make pancakes with it. Brazil nuts are extremely healthy. Macadamia nuts add calories. Pumpkin seeds are healthy and also contain a lot of protein. Tahini is another favorite for me. Lentils and legumes add calories and protein, too. I guess it all depends on if you're looking to put on some muscle or to lean out first, but there are a lot of options and none of the better ones come in a package. It might help to learn about complete and incomplete proteins as well. I'd say 90-95% of my groceries are "unwrapped" and the more natural you eat the better your body will work for you anyway. You don't need gluten free foods- you just need real food. I feel like I have to work half as hard in the gym as I used to with the way I eat now.

As far as supplements, I take a multi, omega 3&6, probiotics, digestive enzymes and occasionally l-glutamine.

Good luck on the job hunt!

Roarbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have celiac too, and found that there are protein drinks made of a blend of proteins that are pre-digested--they were made for medical use and for bariatric/gastric bypass patients. They are about 3 oz of liquid, and are not filling or nasty, altho some flavors can taste a little like triaminic cough syrup. Vitamin Shoppe sells one called New Whey which has 42 grm pr and is sweetened with sucralose. Another brand I use is sweetened with Stevia, 25 gms protein and is called Proasis. The company that makes the Proasis also makes other varieties that contain vitamins and minerals and other nutrients. Both brands run a little under 3 bucks a bottle. They are packed small and can travel easily.

I too suffered all my life with an unknown stomach disease--9 yrs ago at the age of 41 it was finally diagnosed. At that point I could barely walk from weakness and pain and accumulated multiple auto-immune disorders. After 9 yrs of living GF I am finally recovering. I can walk now and am starting to train at a gym. Due to the years of damage to my colon I have auto-immune responses to proteins, I am allergic to pork, beef, scallops, clams, oysters, eggs egg whites too, milk, gluten, many fruits and soy/legumes. I feel your pain.

On your pain issues--ever consider Structural Integration, after you get a job and get on your feet check it out--relieves alot of pain from accidents.

I had a husband who fussed about how hard it was to find the food (especially 8-9 years ago) and he eventually left because of it and me being sick. I wish I had realized how cold and selfish he was then and did not wait so long to find out that he was going to walk out on me. Really...really...is it that hard to help the woman you love find nourishment that sustains her and makes her well...ask that question now and take care of you cause no one else will.

Allysonne

Yeah, I think I lucked out in the Boyfriend department. He could care less what i'm eating as long as I'm healthy, and he eats pretty much gluten free since i usually do the cooking. Never complains, just keeps a loaf of rye bread in the fridge for himself and some normal pasta.

I need to really work on losing some body fat right now, which means making my diet stricter and cleaner. it's going to be tough, but I think I can do it.

2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm gluten-free, too, and I'm a fan of the food blogs of "Gluten-Free Girl" and "Karina's Kitchen." Do a google search for those. The forum won't allow me to post the URL's because I still have under 50 posts.

Originally Posted by 2ndfloor View Post
    I'm gluten-free, too, and I'm a fan of the food blogs of "Gluten-Free Girl" and "Karina's Kitchen." Do a google search for those. The forum won't allow me to post the URL's because I still have under 50 posts.
    yeah me too

i post on blogspot, you know, http dot pumpngrind.blogspot dot com

I just started, but I try to keep it updated pretty regular. I have been posting recipes.

megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) megmo7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a Celiac - you can check out my blog for some workout tips and recipes sunshinenspice.com