Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Surely only doing squat/deadlift/bench would create an unbalanced physique?

I have never understood this about powerlifting. In those three moves you don't work the lats, medial or posterior delts or biceps. How do powerlifters avoid injury from underdeveloped muscles?

SPF World Record Holder strongozilla's Avatar
    strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) strongozilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mesden View Post
    I have never understood this about powerlifting. In those three moves you don't work the lats, medial or posterior delts or biceps. How do powerlifters avoid injury from underdeveloped muscles?
    Do tell me that you are not trolling. What are the synergists and stabilizers when doing the bench press? What is accessory/assistance work in PL for?

Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mesden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by strongozilla View Post
    Do tell me that you are not trolling. What are the synergists and stabilizers when doing the bench press? What is accessory/assistance work in PL for?
    The main reason I am asking is could I want to know if i could do a full body routine of just those three and maintain a fairly even body...?

fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fatbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The main reason I am asking is could I want to know if i could do a full body routine of just those three and maintain a fairly even body...?
    No tricep kickbacks = crap physique.
    You like art? www.artstarter.nl

You make art? www.artstarter.nl

You suck off hobos? www.artstarter.nl

Originally Posted by fatbencher View Post
    No tricep kickbacks = crap physique.
    Please answer my question

Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gay4Moleman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do some rows, pull-ups, OHP and curls for assistance and you should be fine.
    Raw gym PR's: 363/275/462 @ 220

MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000) MegaDave is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't use nay of the muscles in my back when I deadlift...
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135804641

berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Powerlifting is not for you then, switch to bodybuilding/bodyparts with 15 sets of curls/tricep kickbacks and then wonder why you are 132lbs with girl arms. Suppose you want to ask if you should train legs because you cycle to school/work?

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You just named the muscles used in a deadlift.

Maybe you just need to stop talking and go lift. Don't think just lift. Don't argue just lift. No excuses. Just do it.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10) berkim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The OP asked the same question in the MISC.

djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djo90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by berkim View Post
    The OP asked the same question in the MISC.
    They had the right idea

I could never understand this. Surely your biceps, shoulders and lats would be underdeveloped and therefore cause injury overtime?
    Originally Posted by AussieAdam View Post
    only if your a *******

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Please answer my question
    You'll just get hurt deadlifting, everyone knows that. Just superset some cables work with lateral raises on the bosu ball and you'll even out your physique in no time

usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) usama92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Contrary to all the answers here, I believe that OP is right. I've been powerlifting for nearly 2 years and while these 3 movements made me thicker and larger, they didn't give me the aesthetic look i.e. my delts, biceps and chest was lacking. I recently started doing things like lateral raises, bicep curls and incline db pressing and have noticed difference already, without it affecting my performance in the big 3.

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MegaDave View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't use nay of the muscles in my back when I deadlift...

Why would you expect to feel a Bicep exercise in your back????

lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lovemyar15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here is a test for you...

If you are lean enough to see your muscles when you flex deadlift without a shirt on and video yourself from behind. I'm about 10% body fat and did this I stayed relaxed as I got into deadlift position and as soon as I started the lift I was amazed that it looked like every muscle was flexed to the max...lol. Highly unscientific bro science, but it does give you a visual to see for yourself.

Originally Posted by usama92 View Post
    Contrary to all the answers here, I believe that OP is right. I've been powerlifting for nearly 2 years and while these 3 movements made me thicker and larger, they didn't give me the aesthetic look i.e. my delts, biceps and chest was lacking. I recently started doing things like lateral raises, bicep curls and incline db pressing and have noticed difference already, without it affecting my performance in the big 3.
    So you are stating that you have only just discovered/heard of assistance work?

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No powerlifter only trains the big 3. Rows, chins, or cleans are added to everyone's programs. I have never seen a good powerlifting program that doesnt have some assistance work.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chicago is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

its called accessory work. if you want to have a good powerlifting total your entire body needs to be strong. if you learn how to properly squat, bench, and deadlift you would know that your accessory work is there to work on all of those muscles groups you mentioned in your post. your first job is to go to the gym and ask an experienced powerlifter the proper form for the squat, bench, and deadlift. and please don't try and tell me that you do know because if you did you would have never asked this question in the first place.

also it does go to show that powerlifters can learn a lot from bodybuilders and vice versa. powerlifters do tend to get caught up with the big three and neglect the accessory work and bodybuilders too often get caught up focusing in on the minor muscle groups and shying away from the compound "meat and potatoes" movments.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    who said you were only going to do those 3 moves?

do you think bodybuilding automatically makes a balanced body??? u must not pay much attention to those around u in the gym then
    "Humility comes before honor"

Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It might lead to an unbalanced physique, but it is much less common than those walking around with huge arms, huge chest, and tiny legs.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Billy_Biceps View Post
    It might lead to an unbalanced physique, but it is much less common than those walking around with huge arms, huge chest, and tiny legs.
    so true. Or thinking that having a very skinny waist and no muscles at all onyour chest or arms makes you "ripped"

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
    No powerlifter only trains the big 3. Rows, chins, or cleans are added to everyone's programs. I have never seen a good powerlifting program that doesnt have some assistance work.
    This. I hate accessory work and do only a minimum amount. Yet I still do push presses, rows, weighted pullups, etc.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

not actually a goose goosefrabbas's Avatar
    goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If by a balanced physique you mean someone who only does bench, curls, and abs, then yes, powerlifting sucks in that regard.
    But srsly, like everyone else said, nobody does only squat bench and deadlift. And even if they did, I think their body would be balanced enough, especially compared to what most people in most gyms have, not even considering the people who don't do anything.
    Meet: 440/248/485 = 1173@144 sp

My powerlifting log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135067661&page=39

Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000) Uberwaffle is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Well powerlifting is only*really powerlifting during a competition in which the 3 lifts are done (i worded that oddly but i hope the point gets across)

as was already said, who only does the bench, squat, and DL? no one.*

*a true PLer does work in the gym to improve the 3 lifts for competition. and assistance lifting is an important part of that*
    PRs
    Squat -- 455
    Bench -- 290
    Deadlift -- 565
    Overhead -- 185x3
    Power Clean -- 250

ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    dont forget to do flys and extensions because they make you huge....duh, and abuse the smith machine daily

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    God damn these threads are stupid. You get a bunch of powerlifters (that probably don't even compete) touting how anything aesthetic related is ridiculous, then on the opposite side you have a bunch of meatheads that say powerlifting is just retarded.

Train the lifts you need, simple as that. Some people need different lifts than others.

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One can certainly powerlift successfully while maintaining a decent looking physique. *IMO, letting your physique go to poopoo just to obtain strength in the 3 big lifts isn't the best plan anyways. *But......different strokes for different folks just like bomb said. *
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10) SleepingPeace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MegaDave View Post
    Are you serious?

Originally Posted by dethmetalanimal View Post
    Why would you expect to feel a Bicep exercise in your back????
    Huh???
    www.cheapunlockcodes.com
    Freedom For Your Phone

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Kaz had a good approach. His routine looked like hi volume bodybuilding and then he'd do a linear peaking routine to get ready for a meet but even then he kept some high volume on assistance movements
    "Humility comes before honor"

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lovemyar15 View Post
    Here is a test for you...

If you are lean enough to see your muscles when you flex deadlift without a shirt on and video yourself from behind. I'm about 10% body fat and did this I stayed relaxed as I got into deadlift position and as soon as I started the lift I was amazed that it looked like every muscle was flexed to the max...lol. Highly unscientific bro science, but it does give you a visual to see for yourself.
    There only one exercise that can be done with your shirt off, and that is cable crossovers/concentration curls supersets.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun