Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Newbie's Newbie Guides for Fat Loss and Muscle Gain

These are guides I had originally written for my friends on ******** who were looking to lose weight or gain muscle, but after some review I had people tell me I should post them as topics on this forum, so here we are!

This may be a lengthy read, but it is important that you understand each bit of this guide so you can get the most benefit from it.

Cutting

Who is this for?
    Anyone that wants to lose weight. Mostly aimed at the vast majority of the public that doesn’t lift weights, but if you do lift then you can still follow this guide and have success.

Intro
    When people talk about losing weight, normally they’re talking about losing body fat. Rarely is it someone’s goal to lose muscle mass (Lean body mass, or LBM from here out), so the way to a lower number on the scale is to cut the body fat. To get an idea of what certain bodyfat percentages look like for each gender take a quick look at this page:

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages

No need to go to the gym!
    The above sentence will probably cause more relief than I know. Contrary to popular belief, for most people if their goal is fat loss, then they won’t ever have to set foot in a gym to achieve their goal. Ever. It’s just not necessary. Why? You only need to lift weights when cutting weight (Which will be referred to as cutting from now on) if you are trying to preserve muscle mass that you’ve already built up. The vast majority of people have never seriously weight trained to the point where they have muscle worth trying to retain, so the vast majority wouldn’t need to step into the gym. So how do we properly cut?

The body is a system that follows a few basic rules concerning energy (calories). If you take in more calories than your body needs, then you will gain weight. If you take in less calories than your body needs, then you will lose weight. If you take in the same amount of calories that your body needs , then you will maintain that weight. In the end this is ALL that matters.

Calculating your calories
    What do I mean by how many calories your body needs? Every day your body burns a certain amount of calories. Just by existing. You don’t have to do anything at all, but there will be a base amount of calories burned purely by being alive. This is called the Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR). To know how many calories you burn each day you have to multiply that number by a certain value that stands for how active you are per day. The more active you are the more calories you burn. Sounds like a complex formula, but thankfully there are calculators on the internet to help you with it. Here’s one I like: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

I’ll use myself as an example so it’s easier to follow. I fill out all my stats on the left side and I now have to put in how active I am. At the bottom is a description of each activity level. I’m a lazy bastard, so I’ll say I spend 8 hours resting, 8 hours doing very light activity, and 8 hours doing light activity. I plug that in and the calculator tells me I spend roughly 3253 calories per day. If I eat that every day then I wouldn’t gain weight or lose weight. But the goal here is weight loss, so we have to take in fewer than that. How many fewer? It’s widely recommended to cut 500 calories below maintenance. Taking in 500 less than you need for each day multiplied by 7 days is equal to 1 pound of fat lost per week. Going on a deficit of more than 500 calories isn’t really recommended for various reasons such as skin problems, energy problems, muscle retention, etc.

We’ll round 3253 to 3200 and then subtract 500. So my goal is to take in a total of 2700 calories each day. I can do that by simply eating less or by doing enough activity to burn 500 calories (running, walking, jogging, playing sports). Since calculating how much energy you spend through sports is kinda hard, it’s easier for me to just eat less. But if you find that it’s really hard to stick to that number, then you might have to implement some form of cardio so you can fight off hunger cravings and still effectively lose weight.

An easy way to think of it is that you have a budget of X amount of dollars you can spend each day. You can spend it all at once and eat high calorie food items, but then you have much less to spend throughout the day. So you want to be wise with what you spend your calories on.

How often should I eat?
    It. Doesn’t. Matter. As long as you get in the amount of calories you’re shooting for at the end of the day, then you’re set.

What should I eat when trying to cut calories?
    I want to preface this by saying that I am a part of the IIFYM crew. That stands for “If it fits your macros”, meaning that you can eat ANYTHING you want to as long as you get the protein, fat, and carbs that you aim for at the end of the day.

Reduced fat/sugar and fat/sugar free foods are great places to start. Diet soda is a great thing to put in your diet to replace regular soda or other drinks. If you can’t go without milk, then skim milk is your best bet. Personally, I’d do water and diet soda. People don’t realize how much soda adds up. 150-190 calories per can is huge…Drink 3 of them and that’s at least almost 500 calories. Another good choice to make is whole wheat over white bread.

Know what you eat
    Now, allll that comes with the assumption that you know exactly what you’re eating. THIS. IS. CRITICAL. I can not stress this point enough. It is so important to know exactly what you’re getting in each day. It may be a pain, but it’s beyond helpful when it comes to losing weight. It makes it so there’s no possible way you can mess up. My favorite site that I use to count calories is www.dailyburn.com It has a user created database that already has a ton of foods to choose from that you can add to your daily log, and if you can’t find what you’re looking for, then you have the option to make the item yourself. It’s a great site.

As for the percentages of your calories that come from proteins, fats, or carbs (known as your macros, short for macronutrients), you don’t really have to worry about that. Low carb, low fat, high protein diet, it doesn’t really matter. The only thing that’s important is that you take in some fats. Not all fats are bad, your body actually needs them to survive. And no, it doesn’t matter what time you eat carbs. If you eat them at night it won’t make you fat.

Cutting calories through exercise
    For some it may be difficult to simply eat less. This is where exercise comes in. You can eat at maintenance and burn a few hundred calories each day if that’s what it takes. A friend of mine has already written a nice, easy way to achieve this so I’ll just quote him here:

Originally Posted by spiderman997 View Post
    Now we are going to burn 500 calories a day with some nice easy LISS that you are going to do on your off days. Download google earth:
    http://www.google.com/earth/index.html
    Use the path tool to trace a 5 mile path around your house, in your town, in circles, wherever. Just chart out a 5 mile route that you really like that is scenic and not boring as hell. You are going to walk this path at a brisk pace on every off day to generate your deficit. Here's what it looks like when you finish:

That's what I walk every day. It looks like a gravy ladle but I don't give a damn.
    But wait! I have muscle I don’t want to lose while cutting weight!
    At the beginning I talked about retaining muscle while cutting…If you’re worried about this, then things get a little bit more complex, but not by much at all. First, you’ll need more protein. A decent amount would be 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight you have. Great would be 1.5, but that can get difficult to achieve. Don’t stress over this.

Second, and lastly, you’ll need to follow a weight/resistance training routine that doesn’t suck. You don’t need to do Ronnie Coleman’s 7 day a week beastly bicep blasting routine. You just need enough stimulation for the muscle so that you let your body know that it needs to hold on to it. Most people switch their routines on a cut so that they’re training for strength instead of size, because by the basic concept of the words alone it is impossible to gain size while you’re on a caloric deficit. Simply put, you can’t get bigger muscles while cutting weight, so why would you use the same routine you used to gain size?

Take-away Points
    The main points I want people to take away from this are as follow:

1. If you want to lose weight, then you need to take in less calories than your body spends per day. There is no other way around it. If this doesn’t happen, then you will NOT lose weight.
    2. Log what you eat so you know exactly how much you’re getting in and how much more you can afford to eat for the day.
    3. YOU MUST BE CONSISTENT!!! You can’t just follow this on days you feel like and then eat crazy amounts of food the other days. That will not help you reach your goal. It might be a long process, but if you are serious about your goal, then you’ll do what it takes.
    4. This is a lifestyle change. You can’t do this, get down to your goal weight, then go right back to your old habits. You’ll end up exactly where you started.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aytronic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    in, will read later.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bulking

Who is this guide for?
    This guide is mostly for anyone who wants to change their body. It’s mostly aimed at beginners ,people who are unsure of what they’re doing in the gym, or just looking to learn.

But I’m a girl, what do I do differently?
    GIRLS CAN USE THIS GUIDE TOO!!! What works for a male to build muscle will work just as well for a female to build muscle. There are very few differences between men and women in the weight room. Probably the most relevant one is that males can, on average, do only 2 reps with their 1 rep max in a set, while women can do 3. That’s it. Don’t even worry about gender differences when it comes to the gym.

I don’t want to get all big and muscley, though! That would be gross!
    As a friend of mine once said, this statement is simply insulting to people who take training seriously. Why? Because it works off the assumption that transforming your body is something that happens overnight. Like if you just lift the pink dumbbells a few too many times the next morning you will wake up looking like Arnold in his prime. For a girl or guy to end up looking like a an IFBB pro, they would have to be injecting a LOT of hormones into their body. I doubt any of the people reading this will be doing that. So, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to get “too big.” Besides, depending on the body type you’re looking for, you may need to add muscle to achieve it. Sure, you can get a low body fat percentage, but if you have no muscle to go with it, then you just end up looking like Skeletor. Does anyone really want that? Here are a couple pictures to illustrate how people with the same body fat percentages can look drastically different:

http://www.leighpeele.com/wp-content...-pictures1.jpg

http://www.leighpeele.com/wp-content...at-female1.jpg

And so it begins…
    I questioned even writing this guide because with this subject there is SO much debate, uncertainty, and different information. Despite that, there are still some basic principles that will always yield results. This one is probably going to be a bit longer than the last guide, so I’d be prepared to read a bit. I’ll also try to dispel as much broscience as I can.

Broscience? What’s that?
    You ever have a pretty big dude come up to you in the gym sportin’ a wife beater and some workout gloves saying, “Bro, if you wanna get huge what you gotta do is…” Those are what’s known as broscientists. They always think they have the secret to building muscle, but really they’re just stupid. Rarely is it a good idea to listen to these people.

How much should I stuff my face?
    I’ll talk about nutrition first because it’s the single most important thing when it comes to building muscle (referred to as bulking from now on). Last article I talked about how if you want to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit. We want to gain weight, specificially muscle, so now we must be in a caloric surplus. That means eating more calories than your body uses every day. If you don’t give your body the extra energy, then it’s impossible to build muscle. You wouldn’t try to get a plant to grow without sunlight, would you? If you would, then I kindly ask that you stop reading this guide as I might catch something from you. You might as well not even lift weights if you’re not eating enough to grow.

You can use the same method in my other guide on losing fat to find out how many calories you should take in. Get the same number, but instead of subtracting 500 you will add 500. A bulk of less than 500 calories over maintenance is called a “clean bulk”, not because of what your diet consists of, but because of specifically how much you’re eating. Over 500 calories is called a dirty bulk and is generally not recommended for those who don’t really know what they’re doing. A dirty bulk will lead to more fat gain in addition to your muscle. The lower over maintenance you eat, the less fat you gain. 500 is a good number to cut that off at. My maintenance is at 3200, so I aim to eat at least 3600 calories a day. I normally don’t go above 3800, but it happens rarely.

What exactly should I be stuffing my face with?
    Now you know how many calories you need, but what should those calories come from? Fats? Proteins? Carbs? The answer actually depends on how much over maintenance you’re eating. The more you eat over maintenance, the less protein you need. If you’re only eating 100 over maintenance it would be wise to take in upwards of 1.5x your body weight in grams of protein. That’s just stupid hard for most, so you can get away with eating a bit more calories and getting in less protein. If you eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight you have then you’ll do fine. I actually eat a little bit less than that and do fine. So, 1.0x your bodyweight for grams of protein. Multiply that by 4 (4 calories in a gram of protein, 4 in a carb, and 9 in fats) and then you can see how many calories you need from protein in the day. Then, you can really just eat whatever else you want so long as you get to your calorie goal for that day.

Oh, and meal timing doesn’t matter. Well, it makes a difference, but it’s on such a small level that it’s not even worth worrying about unless you’re a professional bodybuilder trying to win a competition. Eat when you can, when you want.

Good sources of proteins, carbs, and fats?
    Most of the foods you eat probably are carb heavy. There’s nothing wrong with that, but just remember that it’s most important to get the protein you need. Fats are pretty important too, with them being essential for living and all. But you don’t need much there; you probably get enough of those without even trying. If you’re looking for protein then some good sources are chicken, beef, fish, turkey, and basically any other meat. Sources with lots of carbs are bread, pasta, rice, and pizza. You can get fats from cooking with olive or canola oil or pretty much any dairy products. Whole milk is probably my favorite food because it has a good amount of everything in it.

Alright, diet is in check. Time to get hyooge, what do I do?
    This is the hardest part of this whole mess…There are so many things to cover depending on an indivdual’s goals and needs. While there are people that get big training specifically for size (bodybuilders), there is no one that, while eating right, got stronger without getting bigger. I’ve been lifting seriously for a little over a year and a half. The vast majority of that was just me trying to get stronger and just eating a lot. If you bench 150 pounds now and you get your bench to 300, wouldn’t it make sense that you now have a much bigger chest and triceps? Same goes for squatting and your legs. I only just recently started doing work specifically for hypertrophy (building muscle), and I’m probably gaining more muscle faster than while I was training for strength, but that’s not to say that training for strength won’t get you big.

Getting Big and Strong (skip this section if you don’t really care about how strong you get, but just want to get big)
    If you care about your 1 rep max on squat, deadlit, or bench press, just generally want to be strong, or care about strength as much as, if not more than, size, then I can recommend a simple series of programs from now until whenever you decide to stop lifting.

I’ll use the terms novice, intermediate, and advanced when refering to training levels. These levels are describing an individuals body in terms of recovery. Different levels of trainees require different recovery periods. If you’re interested in understanding the differences between these levels then you can read more here:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/what_ive_learned.htm

A good majority of the people you see training in gyms are novices, so the single factor training theory works well here. Basically the single factor theory says that you train and only train again when you’re fully recovered. For the novice this can be as little as 1-2 days, so it’s not a big deal. But for the intermediate and advanced lifter this isn’t practical, as recovery can take as much as an entire week or even a month. For this reason the dual factor theory must be used. More on that here:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...rtraining.html

Note: IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THE PROGRAM FOR THE LEVEL OF TRAINING YOU ARE AT. If you are a novice lifter doing an intermediate or advanced program, then you are wasting your time. Why would you increase the weight you use once every 7 days to a month when you could increase it every 2 days? You’re simply slowing your progress. The same goes for the opposite: if you’re an intermediate doing a novice program then you will get nowhere. You’ll very quickly reach a wall and will be unable to progress anymore. Now, on to the programs:

Novice - Starting Strength (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength)

Follow the above link and do the second routine titled “Practical Programming Novice Program”. The reason this one is prefered is because it includes chin ups and pull ups, which is a very important addition to the program. Otherwise you’re doing so much more pressing than pulling that you could develop a muscular imbalance, which would then lead to injury. That Starting Strength wiki is a GREAT resource for the program. Any question you could possibly have is answered there. It is VERY important that you understand the program. It’s not very hard to grasp, but just make sure you get it.

Intermediate - Madcows Intermediate 5x5 (http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm)

That page has all the info you could need about the program and it also has a very nice little calculator at the bottom. Just download the excel sheet, put in your maxes, and it’ll tell you your workouts for the next 12 weeks. Great program; a lot of fun.

Advanced - Madcows Advanced 5x5 (http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm)

Very similar to the above program, but this one has a different loading scheme to make up for the recovery differences between the intermediate and advanced lifter.

These aren’t the only programs out there, of course. This is just generally the recommended progression and probably the best choice for anyone reading this. If you’re an advanced lifter looking to compete then you would do well to look into Sheiko, but I doubt there’s anyone reading this that’s at that level that doesn’t know all of this already.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

I don’t care how much I can lift, I just want to get big!!
    This is probably the most anticipated section, and, unfortunately, the section I have the least experience and knowledge of. The previous section talks only about full body routines, routines in which the entire body is trained for the day. Bodybuilders don’t generally incorporate those into their training. Most of them use splits of one kind or another. Splits are just programs that split up the body part into groups so training can be more specified.

Studies seem to point to the idea that frequency is more important than volume when it comes to training for size. An example of a low frequency split is as follows: Monday- Chest, Tuesday - Legs, Wednesday- Arms, Thursday- Shoulders, Friday - Back. Some people swear by these routines saying they allow them to really focus on each bodypart, but others say they’re not as productive because the muscle doesn’t need 7 days of rest until it can be trained again. For this reason I recommend an upper/lower split or a push/pull which you can do 3 or 4 days per week. It allows for both good volume and frequency. Then why do the pros use a routine similar to the first one I stated? Because they’re on so much gear (steroids) that they can do damn near anything and make progress. It is often said that the pros “succeed in spite of their training rather than because of it.” What works for a man who spends thousands of dollars per year on steroids will probably not work for you. Steroids change the game. That’s not to say that they don’t work hard, but you can’t do the same things that they do and expect to succeed.

The basic idea of an upper/lower split is that you have one workout that focuses on the upper body and one for the lower body that you simply alternate. Same goes for the push/pull; one workout focuses on pushing movements (triceps, chest, quads, calves, shoulders) and the other workout focuses on pulling (back, biceps, shoulders, hamstrings). Personally, I prefer upper/lower.

If you do 3 days a week you can train on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and rest the other days, or something similar. Just make sure to have 1 day of rest between each training day (except for the weekends. Take the weekend off, you damn overachiever.) If you prefer 4 days a week, then you can train on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Or even Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. The problem with going 4 days a week is that you will gather Central Nervous System (CNS) fatigue faster, which will result in you having to take a “light week” or a week off more often.

So what program should I do to get hyooge?
    Well, nothing here is set in stone, training for size is much easier since pretty much anything will work. The only thing necessary is that you increase the work load on your muscles each workout. That could mean doing 5 more pounds than last time or getting 1 more rep than last time. A popular novice routine is Lyle McDonald’s Generic Bulking Routine (http://jcdfitness.com/2009/01/lyle-m...lking-routine/) Any questions on the routine are answered here (http://jcdfitness.com/wp-content/dow...outine_FAQ.pdf)

Examples of other splits are found here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=143006

The above link is a GREAT resource for all types of info on splits.

But Newbie, what is it that YOU do?
    Well, I’m glad you asked! The late, great Spiderman997 (He's banned, not dead) introduced me to this program called DoggCrapp (DC) training. Let me just get this out of the way because I know you’re probably wondering, but the name has nothing to do with the program. It’s just the username that the guy who designed the program signed up with on some message board. He only planned on making a few posts, but people were so interested in his routine that he kept making posts, so the name stuck.

Basic principles of the program can be found here: http://dc-training.blogspot.com/

However, you don’t want to follow that exactly to a T. The “extreme stretching”, for one, is a little bit brosciency. No need to do that. In the original program you cycle an exercise each week, for example on one session you would do bench press for your chest, but the next session you would do DB bench, then the 3rd you would do decline bench. The 4th session you would start over with barbell bench and repeat. The reason they do that is because this program was designed for lifters on anabolic steroids. These lifter’s bodies get accustomed to the exercise MUCH faster than a natural trainee would, so that’s the reason they switch it up. Fortunately, for us natural lifters it’s more simple. Here is the modified version that my friend recommended me and that I’ve been following for the past 2 months:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=134496241

The exercises he has there aren’t set in stone, though! Don’t feel like you have to do them. Basically it’s like this:

a)
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    Back width
    Back thickness

b)
    biceps
    forearms
    calves
    hams
    quads

Not necessarily in that order. My exact routine right now is:

a)
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Seated Cable Row
    Underhand Lat Pull
    Seated DB Press
    BB Push Crunch

b)
    Squat 5/3/1
    Seated Leg Curl
    Tricep Cable Pushdown
    EZ Bar Curl
    Shovel deadlift (I would be doing DB side bend, but the DBs at YouFit only go to 75…going back to the side bends when I get back to USF)

Here’s a good list of replacement exercises: http://dc-training.blogspot.com/2005...es-for-dc.html

There are two driving forces behind DC training. One is a force that will be in any successful weightlifting program: progressive overload. That means every time you do another workout you’re trying to put more weight on the bar or do more reps. Don’t forget that that is the key to progress. Don’t just go in to get the pump; KNOW that you are progressing.

The second is rest paused sets. This is different than a normal set that you are probably used to. A normal set would have you do however many reps you were going to do, 8 for example, then rest for a minute or two and go at it again. Though it works, it isn’t the most efficient way to do things. It’s only the reps near the end of each set that stimulate growth. The other reps don’t contribute to much other than fatigue. So say you do 5 sets of 10, you have to recover from 50 reps, but only get the benefit of stimulation from MUCH less than that. The way rest paused works is that you have a goal amount of reps you want to reach, 15 for example. You would pick up a weight you can rep 8-10 times and no more than that. Put the weight down, take in 15 deep breaths and then push out some more. Then put it down and do that one more time. Here’s an example of a rest paused set:

This causes you to push to the point of fatigue where each rep is equivalent to the last reps in each of those 5 sets of 10. Same result, better recovery since you don’t do as many reps. Better recovery means more chances for growth. So yes, I only do 15-20 reps for each bodypart during a workout. Most people do that many SETS per bodypart. Again, I’m not saying that doesn’t work, I’m just saying this is easier.

This modified DC training split was fairly confusing for me at first, but if you’re interested in this and have any question then just let me know. I’d be glad to help. It's been the only routine I've used so far in hopes of gaining size and it's been going great so far. When I go back to training for strength I'll most likely be going to Madcows Advanced 5x5.

So if most things work, is there anything that doesn’t?
    German Volume Training. From what I hear it’s simply a gimmick program that produces little to no results. The reason for this is, and I quote the great Spiderman997 here, “GVT just causes massive glycogen uptake, not much dry muscle gain.” Do anything, but don’t do this one.

What supplements should I take?
    You don’t need to take supplements. They’re nice and helpful, but not necessary. The supplement industry is set up to make money more than it is to help people, so a lot of the products you can buy out there are useless. I don’t know enough to make definitive claims, but I can say that the only supplements I would recommend are a whey protein, creatine, a multi vitamin, and fish oil. You CAN use a pre-workout supplement if you want, but I find I have enough energy to workout without one. Here’s a link to some cheap creatine:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/creatine.html

Please squat to depth
    If you want to get the most of out your squats, then please go low on them. What most people do in the gym are glorified knee bends. They think they’re saving their knees, but they’re actually hurting them. The way the knee’s protection work is that it is most protected when fully flexed (at the very bottom of a squatting position) and when fully extended (legs locked). When you only go through half of range of motion for a squat you have the tension constantly on your knees. When you squat like you’re supposed to, your hips below your knees, then the weight is loaded from your knees to your hips. A picture of what a proper squat looks like can be found here:

Also, when you squat to depth you actually get your glutes involved in the movement. How else do you think I got this booty? It wasn’t half squatting, that’s for sure.

But if you just want to workout your ego instead of your legs, then go ahead and load the bar with 4 plates on each side and do some good ol’ knee bends. That’ll show everyone in the gym that you’re a bad ass.

Same goes for bench press. Touch your freakin’ chest.

Take-away Points
    1. Eat right. To be big you have to eat big. You won’t get to 200 pounds eating like you’re 150.
    2. Use a routine that isn’t retarded.

Those two things are really all you need to know to get big. Now go out there and get swole!
    Last edited by NewbieX2; 08-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500)
    This was a great read and a good post. Nice work

Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500) Ethzz is not very helpful. (-500)
    : )

johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnnnnyboi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive only got 1 question, i am not up to cutting yet but one day i will have to as i have gotten a little gut while bulking. I know to lose weight about the calorie deficit etc, dont eat what your body wont use, but what im wondering is HIIT. I did this way before i started bulking cause i had a bit more fat and i was abosoutely shredding fat off myself, BUT my question is, is HIIT ideal for losing fat whilst trying to maintain muscle, if so what should be the process in preserving muscle whilst doing it e.g. have bulk prtein before doing it or after?
    Re-born and ready to go

Originally Posted by johnnnnnyboi View Post
    Ive only got 1 question, i am not up to cutting yet but one day i will have to as i have gotten a little gut while bulking. I know to lose weight about the calorie deficit etc, dont eat what your body wont use, but what im wondering is HIIT. I did this way before i started bulking cause i had a bit more fat and i was abosoutely shredding fat off myself, BUT my question is, is HIIT ideal for losing fat whilst trying to maintain muscle, if so what should be the process in preserving muscle whilst doing it e.g. have bulk prtein before doing it or after?
    I don't know the science behind it all and I can't explain why, but I'm 99% sure that doing HIIT will not cause you to lose muscle on a cut. *It's a great way to burn calories and lose fat. *As for the timing of your meals determining whether or not you go catabolic or what not, I have no idea and can't answer that. *Sorry.

I don't know too much, just enough to give advice to Newbs, that's all
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dekkos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Should be stickied. Thanks, bro.

Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruz902 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    in on 1st yES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needs more atg squat though
    Last edited by Cruz902; 08-04-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    eat big lift big get big

SS Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136883223&p=727824153#post727824153

Thanks, guys, glad you like it.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    Thanks, guys, glad you like it.
    It's missing the madcows 5x5 and DEAD PENIS GOMAD diet, but apart from that, it's very good.
    https://www.instagram.com/brunobastos_93/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshN_nywHWNFH836xZ7VjtQ?view_as=subscriber

Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    stolen and put on FB for my friends. Hope you don't mind. EDIT- Permission pending from NewbieX2.
    Last edited by Strength.Honor; 08-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    www.bodyology.me

"Be Audacious."

xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xStriker7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Inafter sticky attempt.

Good post though.
    "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

2k+

bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Didnt read all of it, skimmed it and it seems spot on. How long that take to type out?
    *** Misc CIGAR Crew ***(smoking avi sub crew)

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Originally Posted by bailey1106 View Post
    Didnt read all of it, skimmed it and it seems spot on. How long that take to type out?
    Cutting took about 50 minutes plus a little bit more when I went back and edited it. Bulking was something I did over the period of a few days, probably a little over an hour on that. I would respond to texts while I was writing, so that slowed me down a bit. It would have taken much more time if I decided to explain the dual factor theory and all that stuff myself, but thank God I had the idea of just linking to good explanations of it.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Bump on this ish.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bailey1106 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cutting took about 50 minutes plus a little bit more when I went back and edited it. Bulking was something I did over the period of a few days, probably a little over an hour on that. I would respond to texts while I was writing, so that slowed me down a bit. It would have taken much more time if I decided to explain the dual factor theory and all that stuff myself, but thank God I had the idea of just linking to good explanations of it.
    Gjdm, will measley rep when off r/c

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Thanks, brah! *I love me some reps
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Thanks, brah! *I love me some reps
    Yea it may be a bit cuz im literally always on r/c after putting ill rep back in sig lol

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Peppering anuses since 96 Izese's Avatar
    Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000)
    This was spot on. I knew 90% of this information beforehand, but the explanation on DC splits was great. (I've always*tryed*to wrap my head around DC training).

Thanks for telling the noobs about proper squatting. i hate the idiots who walk in the gym, and do 1/4 squats. The funny thing too, is that most trainers at my gym advocate 1/4 motion squats. they say it's better for the knees. lol
    ****Georgia Crew****
    ****Wet Crew**

Ill never forget the 40inch brahs

Yea it may be a bit cuz im literally always on r/c after putting ill rep back in sig lol
    No problem, man, at your own pace.

Originally Posted by Izese View Post
    This was spot on. I knew 90% of this information beforehand, but the explanation on DC splits was great. (I've always*tryed*to wrap my head around DC training).

Thanks for telling the noobs about proper squatting. i hate the idiots who walk in the gym, and do 1/4 squats. The funny thing too, is that most trainers at my gym advocate 1/4 motion squats. they say it's better for the knees. lol
    Glad I could help. *Yeah, I saw 2 pretty big personal trainers at the gym I go doing quarter squats. *I mean, these dudes were bigger than me and probably out lift me on other exercises, but when it comes to the squat I'm not sure they could squat 200 honestly for reps...Though they like to stroke their ego with 405 for quarter reps...

My ultimate goal is to train people the right way. *I'm going to school to try and become a physical therapist, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do both or what..
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Peppering anuses since 96 Izese's Avatar
    Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000) Izese is just really nice. (+1000)
    No problem, man, at your own pace.

Glad I could help. *Yeah, I saw 2 pretty big personal trainers at the gym I go doing quarter squats. *I mean, these dudes were bigger than me and probably out lift me on other exercises, but when it comes to the squat I'm not sure they could squat 200 honestly for reps...Though they like to stroke their ego with 405 for quarter reps...

My ultimate goal is to train people the right way. *I'm going to school to try and become a physical therapist, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do both or what..
    Yea man same here. Pisses me the hell off when i see personal*trainers*giving people crap advice (1/4 squats, workouts based just on the machines), and hustling people for their money. When i go to college, i really want to get certified, and do personal training at a local gym as a side gig. I know more than 90% of the trainers, and im like 10 years younger. Imagine what i'll know hen i'm there age. If feels good to help people. Hell, i love getting my friends in the gym, and just teaching them the compounds.*

feelsgoodman.jpg
    ****Georgia Crew****
    ****Wet Crew**

Ill never forget the 40inch brahs

Originally Posted by Izese View Post
    Yea man same here. Pisses me the hell off when i see personal*trainers*giving people crap advice (1/4 squats, workouts based just on the machines), and hustling people for their money. When i go to college, i really want to get certified, and do personal training at a local gym as a side gig. I know more than 90% of the trainers, and im like 10 years younger. Imagine what i'll know hen i'm there age. If feels good to help people. Hell, i love getting my friends in the gym, and just teaching them the compounds.*

feelsgoodman.jpg
    Good man. *I thought about working at a gym as a personal trainer, but then those guys that don't know anything would be my co-workers. *Plus, I think the gyms already have workout plans that they give to people, you're just there to help them do their silly machine workouts. *I couldn't deal with that. *I'd want to be the one running things and making people do things the right way. *That's why I question if I should go to physical therapy or be my own boss as a personal trainer or something.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Good man. *I thought about working at a gym as a personal trainer, but then those guys that don't know anything would be my co-workers. *Plus, I think the gyms already have workout plans that they give to people, you're just there to help them do their silly machine workouts. *I couldn't deal with that. *I'd want to be the one running things and making people do things the right way. *That's why I question if I should go to physical therapy or be my own boss as a personal trainer or something.
    With that kind of attitude you could probably be very succesful in that field. srs,

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Thanks brah. *Maybe I'll figure out a good way to make money and help people doing that. *As good as a career physical therapy is, I'd rather do something a bit more exciting. *Physical therapy is just related to my interests. *If I could get paid for pursuing my interests, that would be golden. *I just have to figure out how.

With that kind of attitude you could probably be very succesful in that field. srs,
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) listenphaggots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    u fixin 4 a sticky?

zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10) zRiffz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome thread
    That token nice big guy @ your local: Rave, Party, Concert.
    Enjoying life while I do not have alot of responsibilities.

Back to lifting, dislocated knee is healed.

Originally Posted by listen*******s View Post
    u fixin 4 a sticky?
    Originally Posted by zRiffz View Post
    Awesome thread
    Thanks, bros! *And yeah, I wouldn't mind a sticky, haha. *If I don't get one, then that's fine too. *The main thing is that I want newbs to see this and learn. *If I help only 1 person then it was all worth it.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

PRs
    500/405/615

Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can i do rest pause training in my fb routine?

any articles more in depth to what it really is?