jeepman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

same muscle two days in a row?

I read an article last month in Men's Health or something like that...that discussed working the same muscle two days in a row. The article suggested that you only do this once in awhile...like every 2-3 months. They were saying that it is good to shock the muscle once and awhile.

Just wanted to get everyones thoughts...

thanks.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't see how that is much of a shock. Let alone ripping apart a muscle that is already in the negative zone or should I say the recovery state. Then again I"m a newb myself. What I would think a shock would be, would be taking a week or two off every few months and then working out again. Now THAT would be a shock letting the muscles grow themselves without being torn up in a gym. Then ripping them apart again and feeling hte pain of sore!

Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just started a similar thread that comments on the various workout routines.

Personally I dont belive this "shocks" the muscle. Its something not needed. However maybe once every month, u could increase the weight and force just 1-3 reps with a spotter. I believe this is more of a "shocker"

derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) derekmac has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Re: same muscle two days in a row?

Originally posted by jeepman
    I read an article last month in Men's Health or something like that...that discussed working the same muscle two days in a row. The article suggested that you only do this once in awhile...like every 2-3 months. They were saying that it is good to shock the muscle once and awhile.

Just wanted to get everyones thoughts...

thanks.
    Bad idea. Never work the same muscle two days in a row. Mens Health got it wrong big-time (as usual).

Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arnold*Strong has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Thats a shock alright!!!!
    Arnold used to train with Franco Columbu at Gold's Gym in Venice, CA. In the early 70's, Venice had more than its fair share of hippies, flower children and other worldly characters. Most of these people had seen it all, or thought they had. As the story goes, some of these people used to wander into the gym, and seeing Arnold, stood there staring at him in astonishment. When this happened, Arnold would shout to Franco, asking him to hand him another five thousand pound plate.
    "My body is like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't think about it, I just have it."

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun."

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    mens health = lamest magazines ever. put it don't and burn it in your fireplace
    Booo

Registered User 7000rpmisheaven's Avatar
    7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10) 7000rpmisheaven is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Let me give you my perspective. I think that this could possible give results for some individuals. Lets say a guy has not seen any progress for a while. He does workout and gives what he feels is 100% effort. If he does the same workout with the same intesity and gives a week off between workouts you could expect that his body has adapted to the routine. His body accomplished the routine last time and with proper rest it will accomplish the same workout next time. There's no need to build more muscle. I think the idea of working out two days could cause growth because the shock comes when the muscle is forced to do the workout again before it has time to recover. This would tear the muscle more than normal and given ample time to recover after the second workout it could stimulate growth beyond what the steady routing did. I think it could work this way, maybe I am wrong.

Before anyone critizes that I will agree that it is in no way a superior idea. The only way I see this stimilating growth is in a person who has fallen into routine. A much better and simpler idea would be to change the routine. Stick to one workout per week but change it. Two workouts cost twice as much energy which creates a greater potential for muscle loss if the diet does not support it.
    Last edited by 7000rpmisheaven; 06-17-2003 at 10:41 AM.