joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500)

What happens to excess calories one eats from fats

I have been reading through keto posts on substituting daily caloric requirements from fats and meat and less on carbs. This part i understand.

There's one part i don't understand though.

Here's what i know pls correct me if i'm wrong.

Every person has daily calorie needs. If one consumes excess calories the idea is that he'll store those excess as fats on his body.

Hence is there a limit of fats a person should consume even when he is on a ketonic diet to prevent fat from accumulating on his body?

I'm on another forum where the general idea is that you can consume as much fats and protein as you like and still lose fat as long as you don't consume carbs. Is this the correct view point?

Therefore if that's correct what happens to the excess fat in one's diet when he's on ketosis.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by joney_boy View Post
    I'm on another forum where the general idea is that you can consume as much fats and protein as you like and still lose fat as long as you don't consume carbs. Is this the correct view point?
    Nope.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have been reading through keto posts on substituting daily caloric requirements from fats and meat and less on carbs. This part i understand.

There's one part i don't understand though.

Here's what i know pls correct me if i'm wrong.

Every person has daily calorie needs. If one consumes excess calories the idea is that he'll store those excess as fats on his body.

Hence is there a limit of fats a person should consume even when he is on a ketonic diet to prevent fat from accumulating on his body?

Therefore if that's correct what happens to the excess fat in one's diet when he's on ketosis.
    excess anything turns to fat...
    Keto is no miracle diet.
    Use your common sense...

OP is probably a phaggot yepimonfire's Avatar
    yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this misconception comes from the fact that your body stores most of the fat you eat as adipose tissue for later use, if you are eating sufficient carbohydrates to permanently remain in glycosis, you will store almost all of the fats you eat. however, this requires you to be at a caloric excess. at maintenance the body will use both fat and glycogen for energy. when glycogen begins to run low, the body starts to oxidize fat for fuel and conserves glycogen mainly for use by the brain. if you are eating at maintenance and running out of CHO, your body burns dietary fat, not stored fat.

contrary to popular beleif, carbs are rarely ever stored as fat.

a ketogenic diet is the stupidest thing ever for a body builder, the energy demands during high intensity lifting is greater then the body can break down fat for fuel. i tried doing keto and couldnt even perform in the gym for crap. not to mention i felt fukcing brain dead all the time.

joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500) joney_boy is not very helpful. (-500)
    I apologise guys yup excess caloric intake regardless of what food one consumes will lead one to gain weight in fats.

It's just that i was in another forum some sort of social forum where the ppl were being so anal about calorie counting like bringing along a weighing scale to a restaurant and being rude all cos i brought up the issue of taking note of one's caloric intake.

tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post
    this misconception comes from the fact that your body stores most of the fat you eat as adipose tissue for later use, if you are eating sufficient carbohydrates to permanently remain in glycosis, you will store almost all of the fats you eat. however, this requires you to be at a caloric excess. at maintenance the body will use both fat and glycogen for energy. when glycogen begins to run low, the body starts to oxidize fat for fuel and conserves glycogen mainly for use by the brain. if you are eating at maintenance and running out of CHO, your body burns dietary fat, not stored fat.

this right here. - truth.

when glycogen begins to run low, the body starts to oxidize fat for fuel and conserves glycogen mainly for use by the brain.
    this I am pretty confident is correct - I notice that even on a carb based diet when I am doing cardio in a defict I get the "keto breath" just the same as when I was in ketosis... I am pretty sure this is correct. however it may just be fructose sugar metabolism....

if you are eating at maintenance and running out of CHO, your body burns dietary fat, not stored fat.
    not sure if this is fact or not.
    Last edited by tonytoo; 08-04-2011 at 02:09 AM.
    "Discipline and self-control. Acquire some - profit." -juliacheh.

"How do you stay motivated?" - "I don't really understand the question? You just do it."

***misc vette crew***

Guys the person that says that there's no need to count calories when u eat fats, proetins and little carbs says so cos your body will start to naturally feel full once you have eaten enough so there's no need to count calories.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    a ketogenic diet is the stupidest thing ever for a body builder, the energy demands during high intensity lifting is greater then the body can break down fat for fuel. i tried doing keto and couldnt even perform in the gym for crap. not to mention i felt fukcing brain dead all the time.

Then you were doing it wrong.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go with your common sense. Excessive anything turns to fat. I actually didn't start averaging 2-3lbs a week until I watched my calories more closely. It's too easy to overeat fats on keto by putting butter on everything or drinking creams.

Incorrect. It sounds like the twisted fat lady Atkins Logic. Atkins doesn't believe in counting calories because people typically feel full on a ketogenic diet. People coming off of low calorie/high carb diets were always hungry. He preached eat until full but don't stuff yourself. Then you have to consider most Atkins people are severely obese, pushing 300. So they can eat 3000 calories and lose weight unlike someone who weighs 180 and only needs to lose 20 or 50lbs.
    1k.
    I rape back faster if you paste a link in rape box.

DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    Then you were doing it wrong.
    This.

OP: you cannot eat fat and protein ad libitum, past your maintainence calories, and not expect to gain weight.

Calories in vs calories out. A gram of fat has 9 cals, and protein has 4. They both count towards your daily total.
    [IIFYM]

CKD Calculator (copy pasta):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=784518
    Carb-Load Guide (copy pasta):
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-an-in-depth-look-into-carbing-up-on-the-cyclical-ketogenic-diet-with-lyle-mcdonald.html

reps to ananf72 for life.

yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tonytoo View Post
    this right here. - truth.

this I am pretty confident is correct - I notice that even on a carb based diet when I am doing cardio in a defict I get the "keto breath" just the same as when I was in ketosis... I am pretty sure this is correct. however it may just be fructose sugar metabolism....

this is because as the body runs low on glycogen it begins to burn both fat and glucose to fuel the exercise, attempting to conserve glucose for the brain as the brain runs better on glucose. it also depends on the intensity of the exercise. fat can only be metabolised so fast, glucose can be burned much faster and much more efficiently. we always undergo some form of ketosis all the time.

a ketogenic diet is particularly useful for very sedentary people because lack of exercise DOES eventually lead to insulin issues, but this is another story.

i also must note that the body is extremely inefficient at metabolising protein for energy and it is very inefficient at converting protein directly to fat as it must undergo so many different processes for this to happen. this is why it irritates the hell out of me when people freak out and think their body is burning muscle for fuel over fat, muscle protein metabolism is a last ditch resort and requires an EXTREME prolonged deficit on the verge of starvation combined with very intense activity. if there is fat available for fuel, it will use it. why do you think we store fat in the first place? we only need like 3% body fat to maintain bodily functions.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To add to the OP, I also only eat clean food along with just protein and fat to avoid excess fat storage. Nothing dirty, just clean.
    Just a weight lifter

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

\
    Uh...
    Most americans get fat on a high carb diet.
    Excess calories that come from carbs are also stored as fat...
    Almost all professional body builders use some form of keto on a cut diet.....

rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BlueRev View Post
    \
    Uh...
    you're basically right, but carbs are rarely stored as fat. this only happens when there is very low amounts of fats. instead, any fats that people eat on a high carb diet are stored while the body still runs off carbs. excess carbs for the day may transfer over to the next, resulting in that days fats being stored as well. so basically, it's the same as calories in vs calories out, just a little harder to understand

rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    To add to the OP, I also only eat clean food along with just protein and fat to avoid excess fat storage. Nothing dirty, just clean.
    lmao. you love the keto forum don't you. do you use 'Dove' to clean your protein?

tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000) tonytoo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    lols
    "Discipline and self-control. Acquire some - profit." -juliacheh.

"How do you stay motivated?" - "I don't really understand the question? You just do it."

***misc vette crew***

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BlueRev View Post
    \
    Uh...
    Hahahahahah

hahahahaha

hahahahah

Strong fail... I*thought*you'd learn by now but nope... you still ramble about complete bull**** that is false.
    Just a weight lifter

Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^^^Just to add to this:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahah

....yes, clearly I am at a loose end this evening
    "Procrastination is the thief of time"
    -Anon

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
    -Arnold

"I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't."
    -Anon.

Here's the thread on that discussion and when i brought up the issue of taking note of one's caloric intake boy those guys really went off their rocker.

Someone else from bb.com is in there too alfzzz

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...14338&page=123

Originally Posted by rob2093124 View Post
    you're basically right, but carbs are rarely stored as fat. this only happens when there is very low amounts of fats. instead, any fats that people eat on a high carb diet are stored while the body still runs off carbs. excess carbs for the day may transfer over to the next, resulting in that days fats being stored as well. so basically, it's the same as calories in vs calories out, just a little harder to understand
    i think he misunderstood my post.

i was basically explaining fat doesn't make you fat, carbs don't make you fat.

fat is stored until carbs are low, when they are running low, it is reserved mainly for the brain while other bodily functions can use fat as a fuel source.

he also misunderstood that i mentioned that ANY diet involved ketosis to some degree, maintenance or deficit. fat is*consistently stored and unused when in a caloric excess, whether the**excess comes from carbs or fat.

yes, it is true that carbs put the body into a fat storing mode, but it is IRRELEVANT to weightloss or weight maintenance because at some point in time you will run out of carbs and begin using fat as a fuel source.