FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

How much less effective are rack deadlifts??

Hey guys, as the title suggests I was just wondering what everyones take is on the effectiveness of rack deadlifts as opposed to conventional. I dislocated my hip a few years ago during my military service. I have been doing conventional deadlifts now for as long as my hip could stand it. I have gradually increased my lift weight to 360lb for 4 reps. However, my hip clicks at the bottom of the rep when I start to straighten my legs, and I'm getting pain after the end of the set. Rack deadlifts seem to feel better on the hip. I set the rack only about 6 inches of the ground, but it seems to eradicate the pain. So in your opinion, how less effective are rack deadlifts??

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FearisFailure View Post
    Hey guys, as the title suggests I was just wondering what everyones take is on the effectiveness of rack deadlifts as opposed to conventional. I dislocated my hip a few years ago during my military service. I have been doing conventional deadlifts now for as long as my hip could stand it. I have gradually increased my lift weight to 360lb for 4 reps. However, my hip clicks at the bottom of the rep when I start to straighten my legs, and I'm getting pain after the end of the set. Rack deadlifts seem to feel better on the hip. I set the rack only about 6 inches of the ground, but it seems to eradicate the pain. So in your opinion, how less effective are rack deadlifts??
    The ideal rack pull, starting with the bar slightly below the knees, shifts emphasis from the lower posterior chain to the middle and upper back. For a bodybuilder, this is optimal compared to conventional deadlifts.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FearisFailure is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So would you say that conventional DL is more a powerlift based movement?? My goals is mass rather than strength, I have always had a deadlift in any routine because of the whole body tension during the lift. If the rack DL targets the mid/upper back, thats a plus in my book!! Thanks for your input (measly reps)

Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    The ideal rack pull, starting with the bar slightly below the knees, shifts emphasis from the lower posterior chain to the middle and upper back. For a bodybuilder, this is optimal compared to conventional deadlifts.
    How is it optimal? The only thing it's more optimal over a deadlift is targeting the back. Unless you specifically want to target the back, that's a bull**** statement.

The deadlift is more lower and total body-based whereas rack pulls target the back more.

AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Xizel View Post
    How is it optimal? The only thing it's more optimal over a deadlift is targeting the back. Unless you specifically want to target the back, that's a bull**** statement.

The deadlift is more lower and total body-based whereas rack pulls target the back more.
    That's the exact reason why...

Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AmazinJason View Post
    That's the exact reason why...
    Except back focus wasn't specified by OP asking the question. What if the glutes were to be targeted? Deadlift are more optimal for that for a bodybuilder than rack pull.

Ok let me clear this up..... I am asking if a rack pull is a reasonable substitute for a conventional deadlift, as I am no longer able to complete proper sets due to a previous hip injury. I would still like to target the same areas as a convetntional deadlift. However is some of the focus is shifted to the mid/upper back away from the lower posterior chain, im OK with that. I will just add weighted hyper extensions or something if the general consensus is that the focus is totally shifted from the lower posterior chain. Sorry maybe I should have been more specific.

AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Except back focus wasn't specified by OP asking the question. What if the glutes were to be targeted? Deadlift are more optimal for that for a bodybuilder than rack pull.
    Is the fact that OP is trying to compare a deadlift to a rack pull not enough of a hint for you to realize that OP is obviously trying to target his back?

Is the fact that OP is trying to compare a deadlift to a rack pull not enough of a hint for you to realize that OP is obviously trying to target his back?
    Really? Try again. There's even a post directly above clarifying that. Since you're obviously set on me and can't even bother to read the rest of the thread, I'll bite. He was trying to bypass an injury and doesn't mind shifting emphasis as the rack pull still remain a posterior chain exercise.

P.S. Assumptions can be wrong and they tend to be because they're assumptions.

Really? Try again. There's even a post directly above clarifying that. Since you're obviously set on me and can't even bother to read the rest of the thread, I'll bite. He was trying to bypass an injury and doesn't mind shifting emphasis as the rack pull still remain a posterior chain exercise.

Wow, you truly are retarded. But then again, you are 15.

Wow, you truly are retarded. But then again, you are 15.
    Yet still don't resort to personal attacks when unable to refute an argument. So my words are taken differently if my age is younger versus older? That's interesting.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)

calm down, and at least be respectful to someone that has helped more people on this site than you ever will. your response was pretty nitpicky as DJAuto's post primarily has good information in it.
    i'm hungry

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why do you think OP doesn't know that? He said he wants more emphasis on the mid-upper back, and now you're just filling up this thread with douchebaggery. Carry on.

OP, I doubt you're missing out on any kind of mid and upper back development from doing rack pulls instead of traditional deadlifts

haha douchebaggery... love that word

Yet still don't resort to personal attacks when unable to refute an argument. So my words are taken differently if my age is younger versus older? That's interesting.
    Man, obviously I'm the one who "can't even bother to read the rest of the thread," when OP very clearly states in one of his posts that "If the rack DL targets the mid/upper back, thats a plus in my book!!"

Didn't think I needed to respond cuz you were the one talking about reading the entire thread. The irony is rampant.

Originally Posted by unity View Post
    calm down, and at least be respectful to someone that has helped more people on this site than you ever will. your response was pretty nitpicky as DJAuto's post primarily has good information in it.
    I shamefully apologize for this, but I still want to fire a point home with certain people's misapprehension regarding the English language.

Originally Posted by NZninja101 View Post
    Why do you think OP doesn't know that? He said he wants more emphasis on the mid-upper back, and now you're just filling up this thread with douchebaggery. Carry on.

OP, I doubt you're missing out on any kind of mid and upper back development from doing rack pulls instead of traditional deadlifts
    Did not. It was good that rack pulls targeted the back, which was then miscomprehended that he wanted back emphasis. Purpose: mass. Deadlift: whole body tension. Deadlift is better for maximum mass, but because of an injury, rack pull is a good alternative. This is not a deadlift vs rack pull for back question.

I'll disappear into the shadow with this post which expresses all my thoughts.

I shamefully apologize for this, but I still want to fire a point home with certain people's misapprehension regarding the English language.

Did not. It was good that rack pulls targeted the back, which was then miscomprehended that he wanted back emphasis. Purpose: mass. Deadlift: whole body tension. Deadlift is better for maximum mass, but because of an injury, rack pull is a good alternative. This is not a deadlift vs rack pull for back question.

Lol. Still retarded I see. Why don't you try actually reading the thread like you suggested me to do.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

'However if some of the focus is shifted to the mid/upper back away from the lower posterior chain, im OK with that.'

Did so
    http://gamesprays.com/files/resource...43_preview.png

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Bodybuilding is about isolating specific portions of the musculature and directly targeting them, resulting in growth. The OP asked how effective rack pulls are, and I gave him an accurate answer. For the bodybuilder, a rack pull is more effective than a DL because it emphasizes the back. People don't perform conventional DL's as a primary movement for glute or calf development. Do you?

Don't lecture me on English, kid. I was writing theses when you were playing with pacifiers.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.