spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Good workouts for back thickness and width

hey so im doing a split training were i hit back thickness one day then width the next so i was wondering if someone could give me some good exercises for thickness then also for width. if you could catagorize them that would be great thx!!

ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ADAMG1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What i've always been told is that when you do lat pulldowns that if you have a wide grip then you get width from that exercise and the close grip will give you thickness, so on days when you do width go wide as possible and the opposite for thickness.

Hope this helps.

GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    close grips are for thickness and wide grips are for width. its not reallly gonna give you a thick back its just gonna give you a thicker looking back any additional muscle will thicken or widen you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...le/middle-back
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise.../3/muscle/lats

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    pullups - width
    deads, rows - thickness

JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ADAMG1991 View Post
    What i've always been told is that when you do lat pulldowns that if you have a wide grip then you get width from that exercise and the close grip will give you thickness, so on days when you do width go wide as possible and the opposite for thickness.

Hope this helps.
    Originally Posted by GHODT55 View Post
    close grips are for thickness and wide grips are for width. its not reallly gonna give you a thick back its just gonna give you a thicker looking back any additional muscle will thicken or widen you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...le/middle-back
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise.../3/muscle/lats
    You both have it completely backwards. It's counter-intuitive, but wider grips hit the mid-back and narrow grips hit the outer back. Close is for width and wide is for thickness.

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my favs:

thickness - deads, bb rows, db rows, hammer strength rows

width - wg pullups, pulldowns, close grip pulldowns

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The important thing with back is to break it down into sub-components and work on each in groups. Kind of like emphasizing quads and then hams on leg day.

I'm following Blood and Guts, which has me doing 3 Lat exercises followed by 2 Trap exercises.

Lats
    1. Dumbbell Pullover (Good way to save bicep strength for later)
    2. Close grip pulldown
    3. One arm dumbbell rows (keep those elbows pinching the side)

Traps
    4. Wide grip seated cable rows (would be a great time to substitute barbell rows as well)
    5. Deadlifts (Ok I lied, the last exercises gets the WHOLE back)

I think this program is benefiting both width and thickness. In my experience, it has been a bit more beneficial for upper back thickness, but that has a lot to do with personal weaknesses and technique.

ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10) ttownrepre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Forget the close grip / wide grip thing, theres too many exercises which contradict each other

For width:
    -pull ups
    -pull downs
    -any variations (ie. hammer strength machines)
    -close grip cable rows
    Honestly i've found just wider than shoulder width to be effective for lats (forearms about perpendicular, the extreme wide grip reduces ROM). I've found using a close grip (v-bar pull down and underhand grip) will work more of your lower lats compared to wider o/h grip.

Originally Posted by ttownrepre View Post
    When doing lat exercises you have to arch your back to allow peak contraction of the back. So when you pull down make a concious effort to push your chest out, arch your back and pull into your upper chest.

Another way to look at it is, when you start the pulldown (when arms are stretched) your shoulders should raise (go up with the resistance of weight) then when you pull down to your chest your shoulders should drop (push chest out).

Another way to look at it is by contracting your scapula - Kai Greene outlines that nicely and clearly here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f7mbUQkJA0&t=2m16s

Movement of the shoulders and scapula are key in lat engagement and emphasis. Without this, secondary muscles will overtake the exercise (ie. if your back isn't archesd, chest out, shoulders down then biceps + abs +mid back will take over)

Assuming your form is wrong I'd say your using too heavy a weight or your grip isn't right. Imo a medium wide grip is alot more beneficial then super wide grip - more ROM and better contraction.

For thickness: generally rowing movements
    -barbell rows (yates row involves more lats while bent row is more upper back)
    -d/b rows
    -deadlifts or rack pulls
    -w/g cable rows
    -kelso shrugs
    The key here is finding good form, THEN moving weight around. If you don't build a good MMC you won't see good results, though once you understand your body you will be able to move more weight (with a little body language) and still be able to hit your targetted area.

I normally do 3 exercises for width (lats) and 2 for thickness (rows). Also i've found it better to use a priority principle when training back ie. if your lats are lagging more than thickness, really focusing on that then going and focusing on thickness and having lats later on in the workout.

pvilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article on weight loss coupling with pain loss!
    http://www.fitzness.com/blog/?p=4751

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This exercise is big on the lats and would make a nice pair with the pulldowns for width:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SiYv...eature=related
    This is actually a back exercise that works triceps instead of bis!

BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000) BringtheNoise is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I like rack chins for thickness...
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152183263

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    well in my opinion, thick lats come from lots of rowing movements such as barbell rows, db rows, t-bar rows and deads, hammer rows work well also. any kind of rowing movement adds that thickness to the back. as for width, nothing beats chins, i do them every week, sometimes twice a week before my back workouts and my delt workouts. then you can add in the pull downs with all sorts of attachments.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spyderboys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by miamibodybuilder View Post
    well in my opinion, thick lats come from lots of rowing movements such as barbell rows, db rows, t-bar rows and deads, hammer rows work well also. any kind of rowing movement adds that thickness to the back. as for width, nothing beats chins, i do them every week, sometimes twice a week before my back workouts and my delt workouts. then you can add in the pull downs with all sorts of attachments.
    anything else u would add for width im trying to get that wide back as well as getting that dense back

kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10) kingbalthier is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Width: pullups (reverse grip is better than wide), pulldowns(same grip rule as pullups), bb bent arm pullovers, stiff arm cable pulldowns( cable pullovers),and machine pullovers. make sure to go slow on the way down, feel the lats strecthing, once ur at the bottom explode into the lifting portion, contracting with the lats not the bis, when ur at the top hold the positive for 1 sec. Also try doing negative only chins, negatives are for growth, positives are for strength.
    THickness: rows.