mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best time of day to workout

I was wondering if any of you have any personal input on when it is the best time to workout. I'm currently very busy with a job and summer intensive dance classes, so usually I find myself getting home around 4, taking a nap, making dinner, and then getting to the gym by about 6:30 or 7 for weight training and a little cardio. Does the time of day you workout really have any effect on how well your body reacts to the exercising or does it not matter? I know our bodies have natural clocks and certain chemicals are released at certain times. I've always heard that around 3-5 is the best time, but are these just tiny little details that don't really make any difference?

Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ask ten different people, you'll get ten different answers. "Experts" even disagree. Some say morning workouts get your metabolism going and keep you moving all day, some say late afternoon is peak time for strength and stamina. My thinking is the best time is whenever you can get there on a regular basis. If you think a.m. workouts are best but you're too tired to go more than twice a week, it's probably not a good time; vice versa if you're dragging too much after a long day and barely make it to the gym after work, p.m. isn't the best time.

Stick with what works best for you.
    "If you don't focus on your ass, no one else will."
    "Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mspasdechat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tina7578 View Post
    Ask ten different people, you'll get ten different answers. "Experts" even disagree. Some say morning workouts get your metabolism going and keep you moving all day, some say late afternoon is peak time for strength and stamina. My thinking is the best time is whenever you can get there on a regular basis. If you think a.m. workouts are best but you're too tired to go more than twice a week, it's probably not a good time; vice versa if you're dragging too much after a long day and barely make it to the gym after work, p.m. isn't the best time.

Stick with what works best for you.
    Thanks for the advice

Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000) Anna516 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i definitely think cardio first thing in the mourning on an empty stomach!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Anna516 View Post
    ^^This is one of the biggest myths out there.

There is no "best time" to train or do cardio...you do when you can fit it into your schedule.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Anna516 View Post
    Yes, it's perfect if you want to catabolize your lean mass ... working out on an empty stomach is a big no-no.
    "If you don't focus on your ass, no one else will."
    "Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000) Artistry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've heard multiple things about fasted cardio, so hell if I know. However, everything that has advocated it has said to make sure it's low-intensity (non-panting) so you're not actively encouraging your body to snack on muscle.

To the OP: If you have a hectic schedule, the best time to do it is whenever you can get it done.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tina7578 View Post
    Yes, it's perfect if you want to catabolize your lean mass ... working out on an empty stomach is a big no-no.
    That is actually a myth as well. Many people are successful working out first thing in the AM in a fasted state, myself included, making quality gains. Intermittent fasters do it all the time. I, personally, tend to focus more on my post work out meal.

It doesn't really matter. Unless you're running a marathon, etc., you're not anywhere near forcing your body into a catabolic state. Nutrient timing is pretty much irrelevant.

BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is no magic time when to work out - its all about when YOU have the time to do it, and enough focus to make it a good, effective workout! For me thats weights first thing in the morning, and cardio in the afternoon.
    Embrace Fire, Love the Burn!

********: http://www.********.com/pages/Bry.Jensen.Fitness
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/BryJensen

Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jholli38 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I prefer to workout in the morning but because of my school schedule I usually workout at 330 pm. In my opinion it is whatever works best for you. However if it is really late ex. Ending within 2hrs of bedtime or doing it as soon as you wake up could interfere with your sleep

Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100) Joan94 is not very well liked. (-100)
    i wake up at 5 AM ,eat breakfast ,cook my 7 meals (that will take an hour) ,then i go to the gym ,i love to workout early in the morning ,lifting is something i LOVE ,it gives me the power i need to face the day ,it is nice to start your day doing something you love also my body Feels that its the right time to work ,AND THE GYM IS EMPTY !!!!!!

do whatever floats your boat !

CBrien35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mspasdechat View Post
    I was wondering if any of you have any personal input on when it is the best time to workout. I'm currently very busy with a job and summer intensive dance classes, so usually I find myself getting home around 4, taking a nap, making dinner, and then getting to the gym by about 6:30 or 7 for weight training and a little cardio. Does the time of day you workout really have any effect on how well your body reacts to the exercising or does it not matter? I know our bodies have natural clocks and certain chemicals are released at certain times. I've always heard that around 3-5 is the best time, but are these just tiny little details that don't really make any difference?
    As the others have said workout whatever time is good for you. Its more important that you get to the gym and workout than what time you go. The best time is the time that you can fit it in and be consistent.

kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10) kylescislow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like working out super early in the morning before the gym gets packed. I used to go at night, but then I see kids from my school there who only use the hip/glute machine or use the bicep curling machine, so I don't bother going at night. Plus everyone that goes in the morning is either old or someone who knows what they're doing, and not just an arm fanatic.

aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Personally, I don't mind doing cardio, abs or smaller muscle groups in the morning before work, but if I do any higher intensity training, I'm falling asleep standing up at work. But there's really no magic time as everyone is going to have different schedules and physiology.
    "Never avoid opportunities. They may come in any form." - Carl Allen, Yes Man
    NASM CPT and NPC Bikini Competitor

junkfoodfittie.wordpress.com
    My Journal:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172513881
    FB/Instagram/Twitter: @jcooliegirl

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I work out at 5 am because I can go 6 days per week on that schedule. I'm actually stronger if I workout in the afternoon. When you exercise is really about what your schedule allows to be consistent.

Registered User VictoriaYoumans's Avatar
    VictoriaYoumans is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anytime is best because that's the most important thing is not so much the time of day that you exercise, but that you actually do it – and do it on a regular basis! That means that anytime you can fit it into your day is ultimately the best time for you.
    https://www.pinterest.com/youmansvictoria

Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000) Photoglady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No perfect time. Just the perfect time for you. A time where you can get it done and get back to your life. That's the perfect time.

AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I prefer mornings when possible, but that is because when I wait until afternoon its like 10 million things try to get between me and getting to the gym.. no one bothers me at 5 am and when its done the rest of my day is free to do other things after work. --and the gym is packed after work. I get finished faster in the morning because I can use whatever I want with no wait .

dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000)
    Personally, in real life I think this is a very individual thing. I mean, if you're a pro and can organize your life around your training then yes, I DO trust the "experts" who say AM FTW... but if you're a regular person, you'll find that there are MANY other things to factor in - some that might even make the glorified AM training a complete mistake.

Few things I'd suggest; if in any way possible:

- try and schedule your weight lifting workout at least 2 hours and 1 meal after any physical exertions of higher intensity. This means if you go straight to the gym from a dance class, your intense job at the construction site or something down those lines; your training WILL suffer.

- try and schedule your weight lifting workout at least an hour after any mentally or emotionally exhausting activities. If you have these, you know what I'm talking about - it might FEEL like a good idea to de-stress at the gym, but it's actually just adding more stress on top of stress; and will eventually result in less gains and more exhaustion. Of course I am not talking about events like an argument with the partner or a run-in with your boss; but rather regular stuff ie if you are teaching/attending a very demanding class; working at the ER, counselling or with very small children, you might wanna unwind BEFORE hitting the gym.

- if you CAN, separate weights from cardio. Yes, MOST programs schedule cardio right after weights, but understand that that's mostly because it's the most convenient; you're already at the gym so just get it all done. If you have a life that permits it, it would be ideal to do cardio later in the day, when you had a chance to recover from your weight lifting session. This benefits the weight lifting; too - a lot of people hold back on lifting because "..and I gotta do 30 minutes on the elliptical after this, too! -.- " How to organize this - with BIG difficulties; but it helps to make cardio a part of your socializing (a run at the park with friends, or a game of whatever sport you guys like to play) or a part of your time with your dog if you have one or, if possible, a part of your going to/from work routine.

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kylescislow View Post
    I like working out super early in the morning before the gym gets packed. I used to go at night, but then I see kids from my school there who only use the hip/glute machine or use the bicep curling machine, so I don't bother going at night. Plus everyone that goes in the morning is either old or someone who knows what they're doing, and not just an arm fanatic.
    Same!