JaviMA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power Clean and Front Squat Form Check

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and have been reading the forum for a long time. Thanks to all the great information I have received from here as I am a complete beginner at weight lifting.

I recently began to work on the starting strength and joined a gym which has only a smith machine so I must do the front squat and power clean combination until my membership expires and I find a better gym.

I read a lot of the information but I would like to know if I am doing this ok. I am worried mostly about my power clean technique as I know it is wrong. One thing I am going to try today is make my back straight on the lift. I am not sure about the 2nd lift part and feel like I am using too much arms to lift. I think too that my form was bad on these squats and I am working to make my body tight and keep my feet on the ground.

Here is my PC+FS

And here is a set of 3 of PC

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Front Squats: You're pushing off with your toes. Watch your feet at 24 seconds to see what I mean.

Power Clean: Lower your hips at the start, you're bent over from the start.

Registered User LlamaWithARifle's Avatar
    LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000) LlamaWithARifle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Power clean, you are just effectively jumping with the weight.

Lower your hips into more of a squat position at the beginning, drive through your heels and lean backwards, also focus on keeping your back straight because it rounds when you begin the lift. When the bar clears you knees focus on flexing your hamstrings and glutes and force your hips straight forward and into the bar, at this point shrug the weight. This will create the explosive movement that will get the bar up to your shoulders.

As you can see, he's on his toes, hips are forward and he's shrugged the weight. He did not jump with the weight.

When you initiate the triple extension try to jump under the bar, make sure you land on your heels and basically begin a front squat. At the moment your feet are behind your body when you land and you have a strange arch in your knees to keep your balance.

You should land a little like that and begin to sink straight into a front squat.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=140007603 - A great read on the power clean.

For the front squat, keep the back tight, and keep your chest up. You may need to work on your flexibility and mobility a little, your lower back tucks in at the bottom of the squat. Tight hamstrings and hips are normally the reason for this.
    Squat: 202.5kg | 446lbs
    Bench: 125kg | 275lbs
    Deadlift: 235kg | 518lbs

JaviMA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks a lot to both of you

I will read the page on power cleans and try to use this advice in my next workout

Saludos

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For power cleans, your back was very rounded. You should not let your back round no matter what you're doing in the gym, unless you're doing an exercise where you are specifically trying to target your spinal erectors. And that goes double for any lift from the floor. Hold your chest up and arch your back. For a clean especially you want to be as upright with your torso as possible.

What I also notice is that you are not keeping the bar tight to your thighs as it crosses your knees and this is causing you to have a weak second pull where you are using your arms too much. You should be pulling the bar up and in like you are trying to pull it up through your gut and you should try to smack it with your hips on the way up. That way A. you are actually using your hips properly and B. you are pulling the bar up rather than letting it swing out in front of you.

One last big thing-- you aren't throwing your elbows up at all when you catch the bar. You should be whipping your elbows under the bar, hard, so that they are nice and high and your shoulders create a nice platform to catch the bar with. Right now your elbows are pointed down when you catch it.