therealfitguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gettin strength with SL 5x5

Just did the first week of SL 5x5 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Note: next part is not necessary to read by any means, just wanted to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. but there are cliffs

A little background on me... came to college three years ago as a chubby, pothead, beer drinking freshman with no intentions of getting into shape. However, that quickly changed when I realized how sloppy and inactive I was becoming. So I started running 3-5 miles everyday along with pushups, chinups, and medball exercises. I got into amazing shape (first time having a 6pack) and loved being in shape. After reading some articles, I realized that weight lifting was the way to stay in shape, with a little bit of running and a solid diet. However, I quickly became obsessed with my image and realized that the only thing i cared about was staying fit. I dieted excessively (~1500 cals/day), ran 4 miles fasted every morning along with p90x for about 2 months. I wasnt enjoying life and was definitely missing out from a social perspective. After coming to this realization, I decided I needed to reevaluate what was important to me. Since making a change to a more relaxed outlook on lifting, I have made the best gains ironically. I went from a very lean 150 lbs in November of 2009 to a lean 185 today. anyway, ever since I have balanced my life better, stopped the overtraining & excessive dieting, I have been much happier. I have tried multiple garbage programs but have decided to go with something proven. The most important thing to understand at the moment, I am only concerned with gaining strength. nice, old fashioned, functional strength. I dont need to get huge, but that wouldnt be too bad a side effect.

Cliffs:
    Started chubby
    got too skinny, overtrained under ate, hated life
    changed outlook on life, realized training was not the most important thing
    since then, have made better gains
    starting new program to get strength gains, can take or leave muscle gains

Here is the program I will be following over the next 12 weeks:

Workout A:

Squats:
    BB X 5 reps x 2 sets
    135 X 5reps x 1 set
    5 working sets of 5 reps

OH Press:
    BB X 5 reps x 2 sets
    5 working sets of 5 reps

Dead Lifts:
    225 x 5 reps x 2 sets
    1 working set of 5 reps

Weighted pull ups
    2 X bw + 35 lbs
    3x bw + 45 lbs

Workout B:

Squats:
    BB X 5 reps x 2 sets
    135 X 5reps x 1 set
    5 working sets of 5 reps

Bench Press
    135 x 5 reps x 2 sets
    5 working sets of 5 reps

Dumbell Rows
    5 working sets of 5 reps

Weighted Chins
    3x5 @ bw+45lbs

Workouts A and B will be alternated every workout for a total of 3 workouts/week. I will likely throw some other workout in at the end depending on how i feel. Those extra lifts will consist of either power cleans, weighted dips, weighted crunches or barbell curls. Also, I may sub out 1 arm db rows for bb rows, as it is much easier to increase weight in bb rows consistently compared to db rows. Lastly, I am thinking about sprints on off days but am unsure if that would lead to overtraining, so ill play that by ear. If i continue to make progress while running, ill continue the sprints. if i stall on lifts, ill cut the sprints. simple. any feedback is greatly appreciated and if your so inclined, please let me know how i can improve the layout of the thread.

will be workin out later today, starting my second week with workout a. i came across this today, it looks pretty ridiculous but would be down to try it: http://toughmudder.com/... anyone heard of this?

as stated, i have performed a week of sl already, so ill go ahead and bring yall up to speed:

7/26/2011

Workout B:

Squats
    2 WU sets w/ BB
    1 WU set @ 135
    5x5 @ 205 lbs

Bench Press
    2 WU sets @ 135
    5x5 @ 185

1-armDB Rows
    5x5 @ 90

Chin ups
    3x5@bw+45 pounds

Workout was phenomenal. Felt good goin into, throughout and after. lasted about 50 min.

7/28/2011

Workout A:

Squats
    2 WU sets with BB
    1 WU set @ 135
    4x5@215
    1x5@205

OH Press
    2 WU sets with BB
    5x5@140

Dead Lifts
    2 WU sets @ 225
    1x5@275

Weighted Pull Ups
    3x5@bw+35
    2x5@bw+45

Considering how hungover I was and how little i slept the night before, i wasn't too disappointed. was unable to complete all 5 sets of squats @ 215. Felt particularly strong on the pull ups, hopefully these go up soon

7/31/2011

Workout B:

Squats:
    2 WU sets with BB
    1 WU set@135
    5x5@215

Bench Press
    2 WU sets @ 135
    5x5@190

1-Arm DB Rows
    5x5@95

Weighted chins
    1x6@bw+45
    2x5@bw+45
    Changed my stance on squats so I was unable to ad weight, but did complete all 5 sets at 5 reps. I might not add weight on this next time, just to ensure my new and better form sticks. bench was solid. did not need a spotter got all 5 reps clean and looking to move up in this for a while, though this might be the first to stall. DB rows were difficult with a 95lb weight. no chance ill be moving up in weight next time, so I might just start using the barbell or will increase reps on the dbs...any thoughts? the reason hesitant to move to the barbell is because some, including Ripp, say that dbs are much more effective.

Anyway, that was my first week of sl 5x5 and will be going at it again today around 6.

just got back from the gym... realized that I made a mistake on previous posts. squats that were listed at 215 were actually at 205, my bad. today's mediocre stats:

Squats
    WU sets with bb
    2 WU sets @135
    5x5@210

OH Press
    5x5@145

Dead Lift
    2x5@225
    1x5@285

Weighted Pull Ups
    3x5@bw+45
    2x5@bw+35

Accessorie work:

Biceps
    single arm cable curls 2x5@70 ss with nuetral grip pull ups

Abs
    oblique crunches ss w/ crunchy frogs (for those p90x connoisseurs)

Other notes:
    -in the gym for about an hour
    -everything increased which is good
    -feel like im gonna puke which is not so good
    -gonna drink some beers (magic hat sampler pack, and yes ill be drinking all 12...its fukcin tuesday) tonight and completely nullify my workout

Realized i wont be able to lift Saturday or Sunday, and to stay on schedule Id have to lift Sunday. so I might just workout today and then Friday, take the weekend off and start fresh on Monday. obviously this is not optimal, but I'd much rather workout 2 days in a row than take 3 days off. the lesser of two evils? anyway, i know im not recovered fully, but i feel great and ill give it a go. workout b will commence around 6

I had never thought much of this before, but now seeing it written down is pretty absurd: my bench is disturbingly close to my squat. my deadlifts seem to be where they should be but I do not understand why i am struggling so much in squats. my form is good, but just to be sure ill try and post a video. I've had lower back issues in the past, but i feel as though that would also be affecting my deadlifts, and again, i pulled 285 yesterday for 5 reps without much of an issue. anyway, if there are any suggestions let me know. 'preciate it

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had to "walk outside" this thread to check the sign and make sure I was in the right place - this isn't the forum for journals

That said I have two things - you are likely starting at too high a weight for SL; it's not an issue if you can lift the weight now, if you start too high you'll stall out too quickly.

Also, they are BB rows for a reason and you should try and stick to it. Also, they are really Pendlay rows, and they are Pendlay rows for a reason. Use a barbell and let the weight rest between reps - should be a dead pull from the floor.

thanks, and i moved the journal to the journal section:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post729361033

would you recommend dropping down to 185 on squats and go from there?

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    what are your max lifts?

I'm in week three - I tooled around the gym off and on for the better part of a decade before I finally started getting serious a year and a half ago. However I focused on the typical 3x8 routines, before finding out about SS, Madcow's, SL, etc. A few months ago I started Madcow's thinking I qualified as an intermediate lifter, before reading more and realizing I should be on a beginner program. During that time though I started high and was doing squats in the 250 range, bench in the 200 range, etc.

I didn't stall but fell off and when getting back I decided to start with the beginner program.

Despite knowing I could start much higher, but not wanting to start with just the bar, I went with the following:

Squat: 135
    Bench: 105
    Row: 105
    Press: 65
    Dead: 115

Rip has a line about SS where he essentially says: this is my program, I designed it this way and I know it works. If you change exercises, add work, add sets, or in any way change anything about it, it's no longer my program.

I think the same with SL 5x5 - you start with low weights for a reason - concentrate on form, and allow your body to adjust to the weight increments before getting to truly challenging weights. Same with the barbell/Pendlay row vs DB rows - it's there for a reason, and it's on all the major programs for a reason.

I would consider all dropping all your weights and going to the BB row.

current 1 rep max lifts:

Bench: 220
    Squat: 240
    Dead: 320
    Press: 165
    BB Row: 185 (just did them yesterday for the first time in a while so this will definitely be increasing significantly)

Yesterday I did bb rows for the first time and I agree, it definitely is in there for a reason. From what I have read, they are used rather than db rows because it is the exact opposite movement as the bench movement, therefor, it is included to support/increase the bench press along with working the lats and upper back. I did feel my hamstrings being worker slightly as I rowed directly from the floor on each rep.

Dropping my weight in everything would definitely provide for better long term results, but it would be psychologically difficult to do since I have been improving in most all lifts recently. Its something that ill do when i stall for more than two sessions i'd say.

there is a psychological factor to the starting weight - hating starting low because you know you can do more. But the higher you start, the sooner you'll stall and that can be even more psychologically damaging.