Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

If You're Natural and Get Accused of Doing Steroids GTFIH

Does this bother any natural guys?

I ran into some old friends who I hadn't seen in years the other night and within 5 minutes the conversation was centered around how I "must" be doing steroids. It was as good natured of an accusation as I suppose such an accusation could be, since I really don't think anyone meant any malicious finger pointing or wanted to do any moral grand standing, but it's not something I've often run into and wanted to know other's experiences.

My first reaction was, "Really? Oh my god thank you!!" I've been working out for a while and have definitely made some progress I'm proud of, but the bottom line is I'm nowhere close to where I'd like to be physique wise, so for someone to look at what I consider to be an average build and conclude it could only be achieved through steroids made me think "Hey, maybe I'm not so bad after all!"

I'm sure this is common enough, just not something I have a whole lot of personal experience with.

mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000) mvd546 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I take it as a compliment, but it sort of makes me angry b/c no one realizes the work I put in inside the gym and how I've changed my life sytle. It's cool though. Let the skinny guy think I'm doing roids.....

caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I only dream of the day people think I'm on roids...
    STRENGTH. POWER. FITNESS.
    EAT BIG, LIFT BIG, GET BIG!
    TRANSFORMING MY BODY ONE DAY AT A TIME::

Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Willgetnice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mvd546 View Post
    I take it as a compliment, but it sort of makes me angry b/c no one realizes the work I put in inside the gym and how I've changed my life sytle. It's cool though. Let the skinny guy think I'm doing roids.....
    Kind of how I felt. I feel like it's a back handed compliment at best depending on your relationship with the person and how they intended their statement. It's definitely true that people have no idea how much goes into this lifestyle. Prepping meals, staying dedicated and not missing workouts, etc. It's very easy for outsiders to just simplify it by saying "Must be steroids" than to analyze and think "Hey, maybe this guys doing all the right things, must be tough, show's he's a hard worker." Still don't get it!!

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I get accused every once in a while, but I just take it as a compliment and brush it off.
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) peteyyytran is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do and as it's a compliment I also think to myself how they could think that since I am nowhere near as big as them and am flat out not in the greatest shape. If anything I could look like a guy on roids on their off season but even then they would look 10000x bigger then me. For it has always been more about the negativity rather then the compliments. Seriously I could get 10 compliments in a week about how I look like I workout a lot and lift blah blah and I could be like that feels cool; but unsatisfied still. And then you get that one negative comment about how you look like maybe, "you lift?" Or something like that and the world comes crashing down. Ahhhhhhh

SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SnatchGrabber is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hate when that shyt happens

inb4 stats

pvilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article on the affects!
    http://www.fitzness.com/blog/?p=4966

jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmp5us has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my mom actually sat me down and asked me if i was on the needle, i told her straight up, i would love to try it, but you know damn well needles are one thing that i am scared of. lots of my friends who used to play football ask me alot too. i guess that what happens when you go from 140lbs to 200 in a few years

kr0wbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always take it as a compliment. I think it can be said that people accuse you of being on them are jealous.

training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000) training4life1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by peteyyytran View Post
    I do and as it's a compliment I also think to myself how they could think that since I am nowhere near as big as them and am flat out not in the greatest shape. If anything I could look like a guy on roids on their off season but even then they would look 10000x bigger then me. For it has always been more about the negativity rather then the compliments. Seriously I could get 10 compliments in a week about how I look like I workout a lot and lift blah blah and I could be like that feels cool; but unsatisfied still. And then you get that one negative comment about how you look like maybe, "you lift?" Or something like that and the world comes crashing down. Ahhhhhhh
    I know that feel. Theres always that one guy. Trick is to just be humble about it and leave it. Little story. This one kid at my gym has been there since i started. Does A LOT of drugs... I was new to lifting but did my research on nutrition,exercise etc.. and quickly started seeing wicked results after 6 months yet he looked the exact same so he begins to ask the usual questions "how do you get that big" "how much can you lift" "what do you weigh" every day like its ****ing jeopardy or something. I help him of course be HE DOESN'T LISTEN. After awhile i stop helping.

Fast forward to 3 months ago. At this point im in a mass phase shooting to 180ish. Im on seated rows. The kid is behind me on the pec deck (went on roids, does like two sets, talks to people for 30 minutes then leaves, looks like ****) He asks me again the usual questions. Heres how it went.

him- Hey how much are you eating now, when did you start?
    me- i dunno.. 2 weeks ago
    him- oh yea how much have you gained?
    me- 10lbs
    him-IMPOSSIBLE YOU CANT GAIN 10LBS IN 2 WEEKS
    me- Ok.
    him- Your not natural.
    me- Ok.
    him - you not natural, i dont like liars.
    me- I just take it as a compliment buddy.

Then i continue to do my set and as im doing my set he keeps saying "WHAT? WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY GUY? HEY! WHAT?" trying to get me to fight him

After then i left it and he just goes his own way now but i brushed it off so i could care less. Its NOBODY'S business whether your natty or not. Just goes to show how fuked people can be.

regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000) regl8r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pretty horrible article if you ask me.

do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm really really small in terms of bb.com standards, and I've been asked if I was on steroids, and in fact some idiots tried to get me to take a drug test after my first bulk. People just do it to try to bring you down to their level, nomsayin? Too anyone with any sort of practical lifting knowledge, it's obvious I'm not on steroids.

bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by do13 View Post
    I'm really really small in terms of bb.com standards, and I've been asked if I was on steroids, and in fact some idiots tried to get me to take a drug test after my first bulk. People just do it to try to bring you down to their level, nomsayin? Too anyone with any sort of practical lifting knowledge, it's obvious I'm not on steroids.
    oh man. anyone does that to me, I will take them up on it under the terms, we drop what we are doing right now and go (so there can be no accusations that i studied for the test), they pay for the test, and when I come out clean they pony up $200 or $500 pending their financial status. If they back out and decide they dont need a test (which i am sure they would), tell em to never bring it up again, or risk getting an arse whippin.

its one thing to say in in passing. its another to go as far as recommending a test. I am not even in your shoes and find that a little offensive.

Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alivedog is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    exact same thing happens to me OP and Im not even big yet
    Mechanical Engineer in the making.

My comma key is broken so I use .. instead of commas.

Shifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't let it get to me at all. I would take it as a compliment. It is too bad people do not realize that even if you are on steroids you still have to work really hard. I think the general public thinks if you are on steroids you suddenly are going to look like Mr Olympia.

GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GGPRO43 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Take it as a compliment. Those that are accusing you of this probabaly have been working out for a month or two and havent seen the same results you have, and can't imagine why. They are jealous.
    NGA Professional Bodybuilder
    Muscletech Sponsored Athlete

Want a chance to win cash, supplements and a training session with Jay Cutler or Jon “Bones” Jones? Enter the MuscleTech $30,000 Fans & Friends Ultimate Sports Sweepstakes! Follow this link: on.fb.me/pHl7FY

hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hieuie118 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im not even a built guy. im like 25% body fat and all my friends say im on steroids cuz i go hard at the gym and they cant keep up....
    makes me not wanna work out cuz theyll think im shiddy anyway.

steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always get accused when I'm bulking and packing on weight. But I just take it as a compliment.

Right now, while cutting, no one has said anything.

RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hieuie118 View Post
    im not even a built guy. im like 25% body fat and all my friends say im on steroids cuz i go hard at the gym and they cant keep up....
    makes me not wanna work out cuz theyll think im shiddy anyway.
    ^ Thats a loser attitude. Who are you working out for?? yourself, or your "pals" at the gym? Never let a 3rd party dictate who YOU are and what YOU will be in life. You have to do it for yourself regardless of the nay-sayers

Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jbswiney912 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    figured there would be more "brosponses" than this, thanks for keeping this thread decently normal. I went from 179 lbs in october (crash diet, hurt me badly, lost my gallbladder) and about 19%BF to 215 and about 15% bodyfat. guys at work and some of my friends gave me hell about being on roids. dont ever let what others say get you down, use it as fuel to work harder and get better.

Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A girl I used to go to the gym with asked me if I was on roids back when I weighed 165 lbs (lolwut)

When I first got over 200 a buddy who hadn't seen me in a few months asked me. I was flattered by it, can't understand for the life of me why anyone would be offended by someone who is basically telling you "you are too amazing to be natural, I don't believe it!"

Now I'm down to 190 - had to lose 16 lbs of muscle to get into the air force (lolwut) - and nobody asks me if I'm on roids anymore

Can't wait until I am allowed to bulk again. I honest to god cannot understand for the life of me why steroid accusations are "offensive". I'd MUCH rather hear "are you on roids bro?" than "looking good!" or "wow you look fit!" Ugh, I HATE that last one but now that I'm smaller again that's all I hear

Those of you being "accused" of roids are taking it for granted IMO, I can't wait to hear that sweet sound once again.
    Last edited by Charuto222; 08-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100) LionelAdriao is not very well liked. (-100)
    feelsgood cauz they noticed my gains. Feelsbad cauz they think it was easy.

BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BryJensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I HATE when people accuse my male friends who work hard for their body of using steroids. Its just SO insulting. Sorry, we go the natural way, our gains come from hard work and discipline. That's what we're about! Don't taint US for what lazier people do!
    Embrace Fire, Love the Burn!

********: http://www.********.com/pages/Bry.Jensen.Fitness
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/BryJensen

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    once in a while, i was sz 54 pants and now im 33 with some muscle, all within 1 yr...so sometimes my freinds think that. i tell them that i bust my ass w lifting and diet.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP, I used to be able to brush it off and take it as a compliment, as most people here seem to do/try. but it really pisses me off anymore, it just kinda undermines all the work i've done. People dont believe someone can genuinely work extremely hard and take care of themselves, so they automatically assume that you had to cheat your way there. Actually really irritates me.

Originally Posted by mountaineer16 View Post
    OP, I used to be able to brush it off and take it as a compliment, as most people here seem to do/try. but it really pisses me off anymore, it just kinda undermines all the work i've done. People dont believe someone can genuinely work extremely hard and take care of themselves, so they automatically assume that you had to cheat your way there. Actually really irritates me.
    Exactly, I feel like it shows how people these days have no understanding of what hard work is, in any facet of life, so when they see something that's better than what they currently have they immediately conclude it can't be real - it must be the product of something that gave them an easier means to their end.

Just a quick anecdote for a correlation, I graduated cum laude and was an NASC honor society member in college and worked under the dean's in the college of business as a student assistant helping with directed studies. When my graduating classmates asked "so how'd you do?" referring my grades upon graduation, after I told them my achievement they would immediately follow up with "must have been nice having the inside connections - kiss ass!" LOL or something to that effect, as if working directly with the deans influenced how the other faculty graded me - no, it couldn't have been that I worked my a$$ off! Anything but that!! LOL. I think even if it's good natured and not meant to be taken offensive it still says a lot about the lack of hard work ethic in the current generations.
    Last edited by Willgetnice; 08-05-2011 at 06:13 AM.

cas_21488 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It use to bother me, but now not as much. I don't really run into that problem when I'm at home, I get accused of it more at college and people are always coming up to me asking where they can get the stuff.

top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) top end has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It happend to me before and as others have said its a compliment in a way.

mountaineer16 couldn't agree more with what you said.

AndrewLD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't wait for the day that someone asks me that, ha.

But honestly, your average person is going to think "OMGz it mUST be teh steroidz," simply because they can't fathom the amount of work that really goes into it. These are the people that probably tried working out for a month or two, and gave up because it was too hard.