MontanaRower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exercising 3 hours a day 6 days a week, still not losing weight/inches. Critique plan

I'm 19, female, 6 ft, 195 lbs and my goal weight is 175-180. I've been reading a lot of posts about nutrition and have attempted to come up with my own meals. I'd previously just been counting calories but decided to actually plan my meals and figure out protein/carb/fat ratios as I'm getting frustrated with not losing inches around my waist and hips. I'm not so much worried about the actual weight as I still need to gain muscle.

Got no help in 'Nutrition' so here it goes. I had been doing cardio 6 days a week for 2+ hours the past few weeks. I've just started doing HIIT 3 times a week and lifting 4 times a week as well as abs 3 times a week. So 3 days a week I do 1 hour of cardio in the morning (heartrate 155-170), weights in the afternoon for 40 minutes, and another hour of cardio before dinner. For HIIT on a stationary bike I do 30 seconds all out on highest resistance and 1 minute rest on medium resistance 6 times. I also do an hour of steady state cardio in the evening on HIIT days at a level lower resistance and if I do weights on HIIT days its upper body.

Here is an example my meals/exercise for a day:

9:00 A.M. - 1/8 C Steel Cut Oats, ¼ C Blueberries, 1/8 C Almonds, 1/2 Scoop Whey Protein - Cal=395 Macros=20/36.5/10.5

10:30 A.M. (Cardio)- Stationary Bike – 5 min warmup at lvl 2, 1 hr level 5 BPM 155-170

After Cardio - 1 Scoop Whey Protein, 1/8 C Steel Cut Oats, 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter - Cal=395 Macros=33/22.5/19

1:00 P.M. - 1 Apple, ½ Cup 1% Cottage Cheese, 1 Slice Whole Wheat Bread, .5 Tbsp Peanut Butter - Cal=280 Macros=22.5/26/10.5

2:00 P.M. (Weights)

Post W.O. - ½ Scoop Whey Protein, 1 Medium Banana, 4 oz Chicken, 1 C veggies, ¼ C Walnuts - Cal=510 Macros=51/35.5/20.5

4:45 P.M. - 8 oz. Non-fat Greek Yoghurt, 1 C Frozen Strawberries, Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese Stick - Cal=310 Macros=30/23/6

6:30 P.M (Cardio) Stationary Bike – 5 min warmup at lvl 2, 1 hr level 5 BPM 155-170

After Cardio - 5 oz Chicken, 1 C veggies, ½ Medium Sweet Potato, 1 Apple, ½ C 1% Cottage Cheese - Cal=432 56.5/44.5/2

9:00 P.M. - Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese Stick - Cal=80 Macro=7/1/6

I also drink about 1.25-1.5 gallons of water a day.

The meals add up to: 2322 Calories, 220 protein/189 carbs/74.75 fat

Is that too many calories/not enough/just right? Any other suggestion? I'm going to be rowing in college this fall so I need to lose weight but I also need a lot of leg muscle and endurance. I also actually enjoy the cardio so I'm not looking to give that up.

jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm a male at 208 lbs cutting at 2100, 2300 and 2500 k/cals per day (2500 for back and leg, 2300 for everything else, 2100 on rest days).

I'm losing 1-3 lbs per week and keeping it off. I'm lifting heavy. I do 30 minutes of cardio, 130-150 bpm, before lifting.

I'm guessing you're: 1) doing way too much cardio; 2) eating too much; 3) eating too much fat.

Just MHO.

MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MURD3R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ^^^ doing way too much cardio? how can that be bad?

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MURD3R View Post
    ^^^ doing way too much cardio? how can that be bad?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Waaaaaaaaaaay too much cardio hun. It's working against you in so many ways. If you have a minimum amount that you need for rowing that's fine. But 3+ a day 6 days a week is just too much. nlite posted a good article above. Here's another: http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/fr..._cardio_coffin

Drop the cardio to 2-3x a week, focus more on lifting (Lifting >>>> cardio), and closely track what you are eating. Recalculate your caloric and macronutrient needs here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133163973

Eating too much fat? LOL okeyyy. You're obviously eating too much. There's no way you're exercising 3 hours a day and not losing weight. Lower you're intake to 2000-2100 and see where you're at. Or you're calculating your calories wrong.
    So, you're telling her to continue exercising 3+ hours a day, and to start eating less. lolwut.

Well part of the reason I'm doing the cardio is because that's basically what we're going to be doing for practices. 2 to 3 hour practices with a lot of steady state rowing. For instance, one of the workouts my coach sent was 3x19minute pieces of rowing then 90 minutes biking = about 2.5 hours in one day. I hadn't really been paying attention to the program she sent because I don't have a rowing machine atm, however I do see on the 3 days a week we do weights we're supposed to only do 40 minutes cardio. *sigh* I guess I'll have to cut back
    Last edited by MontanaRower; 08-01-2011 at 01:42 PM.

DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    So, you're telling her to continue exercising 3+ hours a day, and to start eating less. lolwut.
    Ya im just gonna delete that part...idk what I was thinking lulz.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MontanaRower View Post
    Well part of the reason I'm doing the cardio is because that's basically what we're going to be doing for practices. 2 to 3 hour practices with a lot of steady state rowing. I figued it would be good to build up some endurance.
    Are you going to be practicing 6 days a week?

Training for performance and trying to lose weight (especially for females) does not really go hand in hand (as I'm sure you read in the article I posted). We are fat storing machines and endurance training tends to encourage this, or at least heavily discourage our body from losing more fat.

Yeah generally 6 days a week of rowing with sundays off + weights 3x a week and running on our own (not sure how often). I really do love the cardio though, is there nothing else I can change and still keep the 2 hours? It's literally the best part of my day, sad I know.
    Last edited by MontanaRower; 08-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.

jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dated someone who did running + kettlebelling + bootcamp + cross fit every day.

I understood her need for those things.. for her it was a psychological need. The problem came in when she stated a new goal that ran against her desire to do all those things AS WELL. She too wanted to lose some bodyfat.

When you hit school and are rowing you'll need to probably swtich your food a bit for greater endurance output. If you want to lose bodyfat before school, you'll need to switch for the duration and it probably means less of that kind of cardio.

The psychological need you have for that much cardio can be funneled into something else you need, as well, at least for the interim. Consider it a challenge. Remember, it's temporary.

Good luck.

Yes it definitely is psychological. I have depression and literally have nothing to do (my summer didn't work out at all like I'd planned), so exercising keeps my mind of things and actually makes me feel good, which is why it hasn't been too much of a problem to still do that much cardio, even considering the lack of results. Having my day structured like this helps too, but I guess I'll have to figure something out...damn it body, why don't you understand what I'm trying to do!?

bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sooo, doesn't this article kindof support that little starvation mode thing that everybody says doesn't exist?

Originally Posted by bdrusse View Post
    Sooo, doesn't this article kindof support that little starvation mode thing that everybody says doesn't exist?
    "Starvation mode" is overly hyped, but the idea behind it isn't fictitious. Undereat and yes, your metabolism will no longer continue chugging along at as rapid of a pace. But if you're living, it doesn't stop completely. This is why we shouldn't cut on outrageous deficits.

sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good info in this post. If you want to continue to do that much cardio and lose weight, you'll need to up your calories. Find that spot where your body will lose while keeping itself fueled. You might be interested in picking up a bodybugg for a better idea of how much to eat.

Originally Posted by sparkleys View Post
    Good info in this post. If you want to continue to do that much cardio and lose weight, you'll need to up your calories. Find that spot where your body will lose while keeping itself fueled. You might be interested in picking up a bodybugg for a better idea of how much to eat.
    Cool, do you have any links where I can get some more information about doing a lot of cardio and still lose weight? I think I will cut back no matter what but I'd still like to be able to do an hour a day 5 days a week. I'm already irritated from not doing my cardio tonight and had to relieve my stress by furiously cleaning the kitchen. At least it's productive...

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cool, do you have any links where I can get some more information about doing a lot of cardio and still lose weight? I think I will cut back no matter what but I'd still like to be able to do an hour a day 5 days a week. I'm already irritated from not doing my cardio tonight and had to relieve my stress by furiously cleaning the kitchen. At least it's productive...
    There has been some evidence on this forum (via Bodybugg) that large caloric deficits can prevent fat loss. A particular individual on here (who I've referenced many, many times) increased cals from 1500 to 3000 and started losing weight because he saw that his expenditure was incredibly high.

Unfortunately, the bodybugg thread contained all the information why such lower calories does not result in weight loss. It was a wealth of information but the OP decided to delete the thread. Either way, increase calories and you could see weight loss.
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

Great! Does it matter if the calories come from protein or carbs at all?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thats the beauty of weight loss, you can eat anything you want as long as you burn more calories than you take in!
    Aside from feeling bad, maintaining lean tissue, etc...you can eat anything.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great! Does it matter if the calories come from protein or carbs at all?
    If I remember correctly, Alan said that once you've reached the requirements for protein and fats then it is preferable to fill the calories with carbs. So, in your case and since you do so much activity, carbs would be the answer. This is especially important for an athlete, which you are. There's a baseball player on here and he consumes over 500g+ of carbohydrates a day to simply keep up with his athletic needs.

This is further supported by Emma-Leigh's recommendations, which are as follows:
    3. Carbs: VERY important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS - Carbs help with workout intensity, health, and satiety (and sanity). But there are no specific 'requirements' for your body. Carbs are basically used by most as 'the extra stuff'.
    If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for these:
    moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

DSheeezy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so let me get this straight, too much cardio is counter-productive? so instead of running everyday, run maybe 3x a week?